Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The payroll software my employer uses plays ads right on the user dashboard. This is software we pay a lot of money for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's just a classical cheque scam. If they sent you cheque with the incorrect amount the logical thing is to say you destroyed it and to send another.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

There was some big, pretty sophisticated phishing campaign this week against a handful of big Youtubers, which convinced a bunch of them to delete their own channels. They even managed to trick Jim Browning, who's whole channel is about internet scams and how to recognize them. Just a reminder that nobody is "smart enough" to never fall for this kind of thing, it's all about how much effort the scammer is willing to put in and what state of mind you happen to be caught in when you're hit with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWV5fSaUB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6e43Rz__YM

This scam was spearphishing taken to a meticulous method of detail. Every step of it was entirely plausible and as Jim Browning notes, actual Google's steps to fix this were almost identical to what the scammer had him do in the first place. The only real markers of the scam were that the email the scammer contacted from was only 85% right, and when taken off script the scammer lost their fine grasp of English. Truly nuts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

r/relationships: I [31M] am dating my assassin [?ninja] and am worried she may complete the contract if we break up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's just a weasel-y way to get you to sign up for a service at a really good introductory rate ($0) then charge you the normal rate a short time later.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook is a cesspit and every time I'm lazily browsing through it I get scammier and scammier ads, probably because I read them for entertainment and that counts as engagement. This one stood out to me in how obviously unsavory it is and yet people still throw their money at it:

"Making 1000/night on a house I DON'T own"

The long and short of the scheme is tricking homeowners into letting you manage their property and then renting out their property as an Airbnb. And also defying market research and wildly inflating the per night price of the property. The ad itself is an invitation to sign up for a course.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's no way the scheme I refer to works, as there are too many things to go wrong. How do you generate leads of homeowners looking for a property manager without being one? (Lie to a service) How do you convince the homeowner to let you rent out their property? (You're not going to tell them) What if they visit their home? (You are instructed to find homeowners unlikely to do this, like sudden overseas travel)

My favorite part of the video is probably how they rationalize increasing rent on their illegal Airbnb listing: "This rent estimator says a listing like this in the area goes for about 300/night. But I know the area and combined with the renovations I did I know I can easily raise to 1000/night." The only way that can possibly work is with fake reviews, as anyone with a brain knows they can just get a hotel for a fraction of that. Also you renovated a property you don't own?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

She's gone above and beyond what most people would do, or need to do. Just have them keep an eye on their credit report now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Legitimate email also looks suspicious a lot of the time too. Countless times in my office we have people reporting legit email as suspicious and to be fair to them, most of them totally do. We have to send emails sometimes that say 'hey this email you're about to get is real please don't mark it as phishing'.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The meat of the grift is getting you to buy their book/course/exclusive group. There's *just* enough plausibility to get certain people on the hook. The actual steps they proffer are nonsense (what lender is going to extend the average viewer a line a business credit? How are you going to find people to rent out/use your asset consistently? etc) and largely irrelevant.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's just a poor victim searching for something to blame. The story even alleges that the bank did actually do their diligence by having a security officer talk to her after the teller reported the suspicious activity. As much as I like sticking it to large corporations I don't think the bank has much culpability here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah. Don't trust anything you are not explicitly expecting. If the email looks plausible go around the email and view the sites directly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't believe your assertion that confidence scams are so magically good that everyone could fall for any of them.

Well duh. Scamming is a numbers game. Scams are for specific types of people and no one is capable of falling for all of them wholesale. That's why the scammers cast the widest possible net they can. And you, oh great scam detector, can be a victim if the circumstances meet your specific criteria. Those criteria are probably vanishingly unlikely because of your skepticism but it's the height of avarice to assume you are immune. There's a story about a good scam sniffing youtuber who fell for the fake youtube support scam and lost his account because through a combination of spear phishing and highly convincing email spoofing it looked completely legitimate.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I got my big fancy words mixed up, whatever. Way to drill on that instead of the broad statement of just be humble and watch for scams.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I feel like listening to the VM the courier left would have told you that also.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No teller at a personal banking establishment will seriously indulge a check of that size. Besides, I'm pretty sure most places will just hand the check back to you after checking the account couldn't cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate the underpinning of that spam being the sender's military unit is a gang of bandits needing to hide their loot.