Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Recently I got a request to add a person on LinkedIn (remind me: why do I have LinkedIn again?). It is Michael Donnelly Foundation. Who's that? Guess it must be the grinning guy in the profile photo, the one where he's holding a giant payout cheque from a lottery. Nice! Lucky for him for him to have lots of money. Why would he want to contact me? Hey, do you think you think this is one of those....

....cons and scams - we've all heard about them - have even experienced them second or first hand. In this thread we talk about common scans, cons, stings and various tricks used to gain money, property and advantage. We're working on the basis that posters itt are not actually planning or participating in these activities. In this thread we can:

* Explain what common cons are and how they work.
* Ask for advice when we think we (or someone we know) are leaving ourselves open to a con. (On the basis that this what is posted itt isn't in any sense legal or expert advice on the subject. Always consult experts, organisations, charities, legal authorities or the police if you are victims of a crime. If you are being scammed by anonymous internet people don't ask equally anonymous bunch of internet people to help you out.)
* Tell us about the psychological factors that scammers prey on.
* Tell us your experiences of scams.
* Share press/internet stories of scams.
* Provide simple principles which will help us to avoid being victims of con artists.

So, for example I guess this Michael Donnelly is a real lottery winner and hence his story and photo is all across the press in whichever country he lives in. Presumably the scammers set up a fake account and LI/FB profiles and either offer money or wait for people to request money. Then I guess bank details get exchanged and...something? :shrug: Is it the Nigerian prince routine but using real public figures? What's the deal? I had it about 6 months before, with another lottery winner + "Charity" after the name, so I presume it's an established scam which targets mass numbers of targets at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Der Luftwaffle posted:

My favourite has always been the guys selling X out of the back of their truck, usually AV equipment. Offering ludicrous deals on garbage in expensive boxes with the veil of dubious legality that used to draw people in like flies.

I thought they'd died out but a year ago I was flagged down by a guy claiming to be coming back from a jobsite with a bunch of extra projectors that "no one would miss". Of course the story falls apart when you try to check out the equipment or arrange a later meetup since you're not carrying cash. Points for tenacity I guess.

I had that years ago (though I didn't fall for it). I guess the principle there is that scammers are selling rejects/display replicas/faulty material to people in a situation where they cannot test the item (on the street). The incentive is that buyers think that they are getting an expensive item for a discount price.

Please don't doxx my girlfriend. She's 100% genuine.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Anyone have an experience of the petition scam? Here's mine: In Belgium I was approached by a gypsy girl who asked for my signature on a petition (something do with forcing EU to provide education for gypsies - which it already does). I was thinking of signing then decided not to. She got abusive and aggressive and I just walked away. Later I learnt what the scam was. The person signs the petition then the scammer flips over the page to show a sheet on the clipboard which asks (in several languages) for a €10 donation to the cause (whatever it is). The signer feels either obligated or pressured to hand over a "donation". Of course the petition is not real (not an actual cause and is never submitted) and the cash is pocketed. This is kind of a cruel one because it doesn't prey on a victim's greed but on their desire to support a worthy cause.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

gone after foreign tourists specifically

Yes, I got the impression that this group were targetting tourists because they might be less used to seeing/ignoring the scam, plus being ignorant of the subject. Sad eyes, social injustice, sign here, please etc. Someone pulled the ring scam on me in Paris and it worked because I had never heard of it or encountered it. Hopefully this thread will clue up a few people in advance.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

I saw this one in Paris a couple years ago! I forget what the petition was supposed to be for but I signed and yeah, she flipped the clipboard over and asked for money.

I kept saying I didn't have any on me and while she didn't get aggressive she did keep lowering the amount she was asking for, and kissing her fingers and touching me with them. Over and over again. That was weird.

Actually, I almost added that this scam is common in Paris. :) There are organised gangs which work the Eiffel Tower, the Seine Bridges and the Louvre. The Louvre was actually closed for a day or two because the police couldn't handle the number of thieves, scammers, pedlars and beggars working the courtyard. The metro is (or was) rife with pickpockets and "steaming" gangs.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

^^ man, that's a lot of work for e10. But I guess he sometimes hits e150. Guess you only need one good day per week to turn a profit.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

grack posted:

Walking out of a dollar store today, some guy pulls up in a minivan and asks me if I want to buy a flat screen TV.

I hope you said "Yes please!" :)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Please no more chat about in/authenticity of begging by homeless people. There are multiple reasons for homelessness and there are scammers and con artists in every level of society. Talking about forms and tactics of scams is interesting and amusing; beating each other over the head with our moral righteousness is not.

In short, if you want to debate homelessness, housing policy or whatever, please start a new thread. :)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Posting fresh from Central Park, NYC and I am pleased to tell goons that the cool-black-kid-giving-away-free-CDs scam is still alive and operating in the year of Our Lord 2016.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Dr. Platypus posted:

I didn't know anyone thought it went away, I pass kids doing this every day on the way to work in Chicago

I assumed it had gone away because I never encountered it in Europe (where I live) and I thought the scam had passed before I encountered it. Maybe it is just a American spin on that scam. Has anyone encountered it outside the US?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

photomikey posted:

This is a scam? I thought it was people trying to promote their own music. What do they do when you take the CD? I am not interested in lovely music, so I've never taken one, but I've seen people take them with no bad juju.

Someone in this thread said the CDs are sometimes blank or have malware on them.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

cumshitter posted:

I clench my fists whenever I walk by them now because simply letting your arms hang isn't enough. I've had those guys bend down and try to shove the CD in my hand like they were expecting me to reflexively grip it or something.

I know what you mean. I put hands in pockets because if they press something on to you and it falls then it's "Yeah, man, that CD's damaged now."

Antifreeze Head posted:

I've had a few people accuse me of being racist because I won't buy their CD.

Yeah, the guy said as I was walking away "Hey, I'm one of those good black men". Which was a sharp dig. And of course he wasn't (not strictly even a petty criminal but a huckster). I bit my tongue and walked away with a smile because getting into a dispute would a) have made me look like a prick and b) solved nothing and won over no one. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

As with the discussion of the moral standing and social status of homeless people, could we please not go down this road? Gypsy/Roma/Sinti/Traveller discussion is the fastest known route to a thread becoming a shitfest and getting gassed. If you have views on the subject (or want to ask questions) then perhaps start an A/T or D&D thread on the subject? :)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Everyone interested in this should watch the 1972 documentary Marjoe. It is a fascinating movie about a former child evangelist who drops out of the faith/scam. He then goes back with a camera crew to expose the grift. Has some insanely great gospel music along with superb under cover cinematography. It is also a great time capsule of 1972.

Watch this clip on youtube. At 1:40 he starts explaining the speaking of tongues. At 3:00 they start literally counting hundreds and hundreds of dollars in small bills. At 4:25 he explains how his family groomed him for the grift and the amazing amounts of money he made before it all came crashing down.

https://youtu.be/1-C3trU9ljw

Pro-click indeed!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

The bracelet scam, like all the other push-something-in-your-hand scams, is essentially "hey I gave you something for free because I am welcoming :) but :( I am poor, hungry and homeless and won't you help?" The pressure of reciprocation, embarrassment and ignorance of local culture (plus a fear/aversion to getting involved with local local enforcement who couldn't give a drat) all combines. Plus if there is a gang of scammers there is always the fear of getting outright robbed. Paying E10 seems like an easy/quick way out of an embarrassing and intimidating situation.

Personally, if they are polite I just wave them away with a smile. If they are pushy I get in their face and tell them to get lost. Never touch anything that is offered in that way and just walk away.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I heard about the Shinola brand revival on NPR a while back. Recognisable brand but hell, who chooses a brand name that in a word association test that produces the response "poo poo" 100% of time?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

JohnGalt posted:

Cat litter. It was cat litter. The entire environmental consulting/cleanup industry is scummy with pricing things super expensive and ripping off their employees.

Wouldn't surprise me. When I did building work a guy I worked with said "A nut and bolt and sell for $1 as a building item, repackaged as a car part it sells for $2, repackaged as a boat part it sells for $3."

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Peztopiary posted:

I was in NYC near Penn Station and had a guy dressed as a monk (saffron robe, shaved head) slip a Buddha card with a bit of gold on it into my hand. I looked puzzled as hell, and he whips out a book with people's names and money written next to them jabs at it a couple of times. I tried to ask him what it was, and he feigned having no English. He actually handed me the book and a pencil so I wrote my name and 25 cents and gave him a quarter. He jabbed the $20 dollars other people had written down, but since he was pretending not to understand English I pretended not to understand his (probably fake, in retrospect) Chinese. I mean, he still got a quarter out of me.

I never realised that was a scam. There were dozens of them last time I was in NYC - all Chinese. You walk the High Line and you pass about 10. I thought they were out for converts. From what I know about Buddhism this definitely sounds like a scam and not genuine practice.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I just remembered something that happened in Paris when I was there as a teenager. My family and I were waiting at a pretty empty Metro station, with just one other dude sitting on the bench a few yards away. A third dude with a scraggly beard was talking to him for a bit and then dropped an absurd amount of change on the ground right in front of him. A few minutes later, the bearded guy came up to my dad and mumbled something in English that included "Please take my money" and did the same thing, dropping a bunch of coins in front of him. My mom took me and my sister to sit somewhere else while my dad talked with the bearded guy (presumably telling him to gently caress off), so I'm not sure what happened next before the train arrived.

This was ten years ago, so my memory is obviously spotty, but has anyone else ever heard of this? Was this the beginning of an attempted scam, or was this just a legitimately crazy guy?

I've never heard of this before. I'd be curious to know if anyone else encountered it.

One day I was walking through Newcastle (U.K.) and a couple were having a row about money. Just as I was passing the guy throws about £200 ($300) in small notes at me and says "Here you go mate, you might as well have it." I decided the guy wasn't really serious and decided to walk on. I don't think it was a scam, just a couple arguing. When I walked back 15min later the couple and the cash had gone.

I did find about £120 in £20 notes on the pavement in London. No wallet. I guess it fell out of a cycling dealers pocket. (In the UK a lot of drug dealers are kids who cycle.) I gave £40 to the street sweeper nearby. He almost got the money but I just saw it ahead of him. I guess he needed the money more than i did but hey. I'm no saint, so I kept £80 for myself.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

MightyJoe36 posted:

I was not in the know. I did have my mind blown.

Seconded.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cool. Thanks for that. Looks like they are organised - at least in districts.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I know this isn't really the thread for it but can anyone remind me what the logic is behind that campaign "You don't own your legal name"? I saw some posters here in the UK and I remember a few months ago someone explaining it was sovereign citizen poo poo. Remind me pls?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks for those replies. So what is the economic incentive to pay for posters? I know most of the sovcit stuff is scam/paranoia/libertarian/magical thinking so what's the payoff for putting up enigmatic posters?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

I knew your mother could identify brands by taste, but I didn't know she taught you too.

Nicely played, sir.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Here's one for Britgoons: I see around on the street (and have seen on trains) some ex-meth addicts collecting for charities to help addicts. They have the tabards (those day-glo tunics - is that what they are called?) and ID cards. I feel conflicted. If they are genuine I don't mind giving a £1 or 2. If they aren't then I wouldn't give. The thing is if you engage in conversation and check the ID you have pretty much committed to donating. Also, how am I supposed to check the ID? Write the name and number and check it by i-net later? The men themselves seem straight while collecting but are clearly ex-addicts (often they tell you this). The charities are all for recovery and rehabilitation of addicts - pretty worthy - but I don't want my money actually going towards drugs.

Suggestions/responses?

Do you get this in the US?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I checked the website on the guy's tabard and couldn't find it but maybe I misremembered it. I'll update you.

Here is another for Britgoons (but might apply elsewhere). Just had an email from "HM Revenue & Customs" headed "Council Tax Refund". Basically:

"Dear email address
You are entitled to £219.67 refund on your council taxes.
Click here [link to fdhgsdhgasuyieyiue.com website] to fill in your claim form."

Red flags are:
a) If you know my name from my tax records, why are you calling me dfghjkdfghjk.gmail?
b) Why is your link not to a website ending "gov.uk"?
c) Why, if I pay my council tax to my local council, is central government offering to refund me the money?

Answer: big fat scam, maybe?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

B-b-but why didn't tell that before I gave them my bank details????

No, I figured it was a scam but it took me about 20 seconds to figure it out. Usually I can do it in less than 5. It would be mildly plausible to some people as "HM Revenue & Customs" is an official name - shame the sender address is actually "manageacc@dgdgdgdwhateverfhfhfhf.edu" though. Points deducted for that. Most householders in the UK pay some form of council (local) tax and while refunds are uncommon they are not implausible. But there are obvious red flags which show it is fake. I wouldn't be surprised if a reasonable number of people fell for it though. And not greedy, want-earn-money-for-nothing types, just ordinary taxpayers. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I guess another aspect of pushing the Christian angle is that you are playing on the mark's sense of being a Christian and having a generous benign outlook on life. If you've established a connection where scammer and mark are both Christian, the mark looks suspicious and cynical if he questions the honesty of the scammer.

I think the Nigerian Christian angle is less cynical calculation, more cultural. I think that Christianity is so embedded in life there that it is a natural part of social/business interactions so it would naturally come up. I think that the ethical and legal (Sharia etc) dimension is probably an important consideration when you do serious business deals, so knowing that your partner has a similar frame of reference to you is probably normal for life in Nigeria.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

just get lucky with guessing things like lastname-firstinitial@gmail.com
Dear Mr DizzyBum
Please do not doxx me.
Yours sincerely
Lastname Firstinitial

BTW any of you guys getting the old your-email-account-has-been-suspended emails? You get an email addressing you as myname@yahoo.com and the notification that your account has been suspended (due to suspicious activity) and click on this definitely legit link to reactivate your account. Phishing I presume?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did an elderly person live at your house?

My wife's 95 year old grandmother gets a LOT of snail mail scams. She used to be really bad about giving the odd $20 to whatever save the children type charity hit her up, which I imagine got her on a list. Most of them now aren't even legit charities (even lovely ones) but just straight up scams. It got bad enough with the phone calls that we blew up her land line and got her a new number on a cell.

There was a recent case of a 90+ y.o. British woman who was so bombarded by phonecalls and mail from legit charities that she gave over all her savings and all her time to the charities. (She volunteered time working for charities, raising money for them.) Financially ruined and guilted-out, she committed suicide. Made a news splash in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-letters.html

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

impulse 7 effect posted:

Unfortunately, giving anything to street collection workers is just not worth it. Multi-part scam that's been covered before but a direct experience, so:

Young girls in Barcelona down from the museum steps. There are multiple steps (and escalators), maybe three levels; museum is 400m away up the steps. Major tourist area. Girls have clipboards, college t-shirts/hoodies depending on the time of year. Have charity/college ID and lanyards. Clipboard is filled with names and donation amounts.

Girls ask for a signature or donation to enable disabled access. Show clipboard with previous donations of 10 or 20 Euro. If you dumb enough to get your wallet out they gang up and get your attention while covering your wallet with the clipboard to try and magic some cash away. Person I was with saw the whole thing and went ballistic on them. They don't care. Lots of heavy watchers/protection around.

Exploits limited time in location/country, not wanting to deal with overseas police reports, local knowledge, public outbursts.

Yeah, I gave them a euro and said thank you for a cool scam. Person I was with was not impressed.

**everything apart from wanting your money is obviously fake

Meanwhile, street charity collectors in general for the big charities often work on commission - my girlfriend used to do it. It's a business :/

Yeah, you read my previous post on this. As far as I know it is gypsy girls or young women from the Balkans, usually reasonably dressed and not odd looking. They work in gangs all over tourist destinations in Europe. I've seen them in Brussels and Paris. Weird thing is that I've never
heard of/seen locals doing this scam.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Midjack posted:

a couple of Lord of the Rings scammers.

A dark lord offered them rings of power but they didn't read the small print in the contract and ended up losing their souls for eternity? Or were they complaining because they didn't get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

How do I post a negative review of Yelp?