Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Last week I was going through airport security when a middle-aged woman stopped the guy behind me in the X-ray line with some story that her daughter was going off to college for the first time and she forgot her carry-on and she's just on the other side of security and, could you take this suitcase through and give it to her? Honestly I didn't stick around long enough to find out what happened.

I don't know if it was a scam or not. Probably not, it's a strange enough circumstance that it's a plausible story, although frankly I'm not sure how she got past the TSA boarding-pass check to begin hassling people in the X-ray line. Either way, if she had asked me I would've turned her down--I'm not taking responsibility for whatever crap is in that bag. I know that for international travel they actively warn you about not accepting luggage from others, but this was a relatively-small domestic terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do airlines not ask you several times about this exact circumstance when you check in anymore?
Maybe. I usually fly Southwest where you do the 24-hour online check-in to get a good seat. There's a page of things they say you can't bring in a carry-on, which probably includes other people's luggage but it's been years since I've actually read it.

Thanatosian posted:

Am I the only one who would report her to security?
Honestly I'd rather not draw any more attention to myself by merely reporting someone else. If she were an imminent threat or there was obvious evidence that a crime was taking place, sure, that wasn't really the case.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but one of the local roofing companies replaced virtually every roof in our neighborhood (except ours) during the spring/summer of 2020. I assume they were looking for work during the early days of the pandemic before the stimulus money started rolling in.

They knocked on our door and offered a free inspection, which I declined. Reading reviews of them online, they appear to always find some evidence of storm damage and then work with the homeowner to file an insurance claim for a full roof replacement. They don't appear to cover the deductible so it's not totally illegal, but I'm still surprised that every one of our neighbors agreed to participate in insurance fraud.

Thing is, our neighborhood isn't that old--the oldest roofs were 15 years at the time. We bought a few years before and the home inspection listed our roof in great condition, and we've had no major storms since that would otherwise destroy a neighborhood of roofs. I'm also surprised that localized damage (the kind you might not see from the ground) can't be patched and require full replacement.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Target at least often lists their online products at a much lower price versus the in store versions. Not only can you just have them send it to the store without paying shipping, but also they will straight up do a price match right at the register. I didn't know that until today, but I don't know how many other people even think to do it, or how many other stores do this as well.
The explanation I've heard is that "Target.com" is a separate entity than "Target" (brick and mortar) and so sets prices differently. Even if that's true, there's obviously some common ownership given the use of the "Target" trademark and that the retail stores facilitate the Pick Up At Store option, and so it's certainly intended for customers to think of them as the same brand.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's mainly an effort at staving off their inevitably being driven out of business by Amazon
And yes, it's this.

I don't think it's that scammy for a few reasons though:
  • The in-store price is clearly labeled in store. Nobody is being duped.
  • Target, Best Buy, and Petco will all do price matching at the register if you ask. Never tried at Walmart.
  • Sometimes Walmart's in-store prices are actually cheaper than online. In fact, BrickSeek is basically the only reason I'd ever go into a WalMart.
  • Target, specifically, has a 30 day price match policy. So if you buy something, realize it's cheaper on target.com or anywhere else, just take the receipt back to the store and they'll do a price adjustment for you.

Edit: If it's scammy because you have to do some nominal legwork, you could make the same argument regarding other methods of price differentiation including coupons. Some people clip coupons from the weekly circular, others look up prices online. Some do neither because they couldn't be bothered.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 31, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

I mentioned a similiar grift earlier in the thread where they place bowls of nuts/olives or salad on the tables at restaurants. Touch it and you get an extra 50 euro (or thereabouts) surcharge for the item.
I don't know about this one, have you actually had this happen (for €50) or have just "heard" of it?

My impression is that it's a normal thing, if perhaps a cultural misunderstanding. Maybe there's a scammey version of it but I don't know how common that is.

When we went to Portugal some years ago we were repeatedly warned about the couvert which is a bowl of olives and nuts or whatever like you describe that they bring to your table automatically and for which they charge you.

I assumed it was a cultural thing. Olives and nuts are tasty and yeah I'm hungry and wouldn't mind having a few while waiting. Also they usually cost like €2. I suppose they aren't supposed to charge you if you don't eat it, but I assume locals typically do eat it and that passing on it is actually rare and not some kind of "gotcha" move.

I assume it's an American thing to either (i) not eat olives in a Mediterranean country, or (ii) expect heapings of free bread and get pissy when there's a nominal charge for food you eat. Similarly I could see the (ii) category of people ask to keep the olives and bread coming, not realizing they have to pay for food.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wizard2 posted:

I get a text from an email addres at least once a week. I found an Apple Tech Support Q&A page that went something like:
Both the email and phone number are just aliases for the same Apple ID though. If there's an iMessage spam problem that's on Apple to sanely restrict throw-away Apple IDs.