Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

teh winnar! posted:

Only if you're in Iowa or something. A friend of mine actually teaches a HS computer class in San Francisco, and they're doing coding for Android.

Public school is a crapshoot everywhere. In metro areas you'll at least get magnet schools where they can pick teachers and students who want to be there, but otherwise your computer teacher is probably less technically skilled than the students.

Not still bitter, decades later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

computer angel posted:

The debt collectors who have mistaken me for a woman named Nadia are blowing up my phone again. The last agent I spoke to said the reason they think I am Nadia is that she called using my number to their office several times last week. I've had my number for 10 years, not sure what's going on.

Nadia spoofed your number just like they spoof theirs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

computer angel posted:

Yeah that's what I tried to tell them but they kept saying they knew I was Nadia and that I was lying lol. How does a layperson spoof a number?

They don't, they just assume that you're lying if you claim to not be who they're looking for. All they want is blood from a stone and they don't care how they get it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

He only likes grifters who don't get caught consequences

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Not so, he's placed Betsey DeVos as the secretary of education!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think it will surprise nobody to learn that no one named James Murdock has published any research papers in the fields of microbiology, epidemiology, or public health.

Somewhat untrue, there is plenty of his literature about field research for flight anxiety reduction published under a pseudonym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0BinEFCp38

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, why do I have the feeling we're in for several doozys in the coming months as all the evil fuckers in the world devise ways to monetize covid19. We've already seen the lovely preachers pulling their usual lovely poo poo but when money starts getting handed out and the systems set up to distribute it can't handle it, a ton of call centers and phishing scams are gonna explode.

Then again, once nobody has any money, there'll be nothing left to scam I suppose.

It's already getting handed out to the grifters. Don't worry though, the bottom feeders will still call grandma and tell her about their miracle cure that Trump is only giving up the right people, wink. You know. Just need your bank numbers to prove that you're an American!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

I had been meaning to replace my digestive system with a USB port.

Just wait till you hear where you plug it in!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rhandhali posted:

I’m an ICU physician and a bunch of my colleagues have been getting unsolicited text messages about a COVID test that doesn’t exist yet.

Heck, the FBI might get a boner at the idea of being able to nail someone for this if they're out of state, assuming that they're not actually in Chennai.

Edit: it's out of Florida. Even odds on the scammer being in the president's cabinet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can't you ask them for proof that you wanted the card?
Where is the burden of proof in the US? I am not a lawyer at all, but I would assume (a dangerous thing) that they would be required to have a signed document or a record of you asking/accepting it.

Please tell us the results if you decide to do something, if you are allowed.

Read the Matt Taibbi articles about foreclosures in 2008 or so, they're infuriating. The banks accountants were showing up without the forms they needed to, then they showed up with unsigned forms, then when that got called out on that they show up with the same form with a forged signature. Somehow, this was ok for the judge?????

This is what the CFPB was supposed to specifically go after which is why it was immediately neutered.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, I made it a whole week and nobody on my contact list got my wank videos. I think I'm in the clear!

Maybe they just don't want to admit that they enjoyed watching them? Has anyone been more noticeably shy or quiet around you?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zharmad posted:

I'm an unemployed line cook named Wade who got a new phone in 2017 and decided to put my number into all kinds of get-rich-quick scummy websites online. Now, that was dumb, but even dumber was that Wade didn't know what his new phone number was, so instead put mine into the shady websites and gave my number out as his. So I still get numerous shady texts telling Wade he needs a bigger wang and how to get free covid money.

How to make COVID money with that bigger wang :heysexy:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

peanut posted:

For 2 weeks, I have been entertained by this mobile email scam, which exactly fits the descriptions on this site. Even the loving flower photo. They sent the rainbow twice and I called them on it. Baka.
Today they said their work phone was getting confiscated, and asked to switch to a shady chat link. Goatse.ru was down but hopefully they'll view it soon.

https://sakuradot.com/article/58660.html

Do these people actually respond back?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sears is all but down the drain at this point, I wouldn't consider a sears warranty to be worth the paper it's printed on at this point.

They were pulling this years ago. When I ordered a washer from them about five years ago, they sent me three broken washers in a row (the third one was dented to the point of being deformed, I doubt it worked but I didn't even try). I called their call center to tell them to just refund me, and they gave me everything except for a "restocking fee".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It would have required them actually giving a poo poo about it instead of just consigning it to being an aspect of the catalogue department that almost certainly wouldn't understands it or care about it, and would likely underfund or gut it once the dot com bust happened. It's hard to understate just how much businesses didn't care a single bit, justifiably, about the internet until it caught critical mass around 2010-ish. Without the benefit of foresight, it would have been an unrealistically forward thinking action that wouldn't pay off for decades.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Sears also used to be The Place for appliances and tools.

I don't think it's fair to blame ME for buying a refrigerator from a Sears Outlet but...maybe so. You may be right. My own dumb fault for not going to Lowe's or Home Depot that couldn't offer delivery for two weeks I suppose. Yes, the consumer is to blame for not doing their due diligence or reading all that bullshit on their credit card agreement.

If any of you guys went through the maze of bullshit I did even TRYING to reclaim $150 for a legit warranty coverage, I think we could all agree it's a scam. It was astonishing. One number I was given (among several) said "press two for English" and repeatedly put me in a Spanish speaking automated menu. I pressed 2 twice before wondering if maybe they meant "1" and it ALL spoke Spanish. I got transferred/hung up on probably 5-10 times.

The Sears credit card company listened to my story for a while and then transferred me to a consumer survey.

Capitalism!

If it makes you feel better I made that same mistake buying the washer, assuming that Sears was just where you got appliances since they've had a sterling reputation forever, and it would stupid to throw that away.

More fool us!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

postmodifier posted:

I just got an offer to double the dick pics I send to someone, like if I send 1000 dick pics to them they'll send me 2000 back?

I'm curious, is this a scam? Seems like I'd be coming out ahead???

Be careful that they don't just send you 2000 copies of the same dick pic

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Happy Thread posted:

Help! I got an unsolicited Borrower Welcome Letter claiming that I have a loan of exactly $200,000, which a company called FCI is now servicing.

My real name does not appear on the letter, just a butchering of my name with LLC stuck on the end. My real address is listed along with "Property: ....(some address I don't have across town).

Initially, I dismissed the whole letter as fraudulent, but that might have been a mistake. It finally struck me today that they sent the letter on the exact one year anniversary of my identity being stolen. July 15th last year was when I had a whole lot of bad credit lines being opened up, check fraud, the whole gamut. It's as if a new automated attack on my credit got triggered at exactly the one year mark.

Of course, it also resembles a famous scam that tricks people into sending a few mortgage payments to the wrong company. It might be that, I don't know. When I opened the letter over a month ago I immediately dismissed it as a phishing scheme or something to trick me into acknowledging a fake debt.

Since I failed to make the connection at first to my old identity thieves, I ignored the letter past the 30 days required to dispute it in writing (according to the letter). Am I screwed now if this FCI Lender Services letter is somehow not fake but about a real loan someone took out in my name?

Assuming you haven't yet, pull your credit info and see if this appears. Either way, time for another police report...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Edit: I literally just hit "reply" and these same jerks are now saying I can get compensation if I got lung cancer and ever used talcum powder?!

People covered the lawyer angle already. The talcum powder is because there's naturally occurring asbestos in talcum deposits, J&J switched over to corn starch or something years ago though so good luck with that payday.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Remulak posted:

I keep thinking that there is room for a 'delivery' app that simply pays the delivery person whatever the app charges and pays the restaurant retail. Cutting the unicorn middleman out would save a fortune.
Same with 'car sharing'.

That's called ordering over the phone and then tipping the driver.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe a dumb question but why do they have to hang the burner phones in trees?

The only thing retail won't gently caress around with is Christmas, as long as the phone looks ornamental no one will touch it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Gives me the same vibes as multibox farming in MMOs. gently caress.

Welcome to capitalism, where we reinvent actual jobs in the worst way possible because Money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the deal with those door to door electric provider services? It's got to be done kind of scam, right?

It's legit insofar as it's an actual company providing (or reselling) electrical power, but some of the door to door sales people are borderline or outright fraudulent with signing people up without their consent. Do Never bring them a copy of your bill where they can see (and subsequently use) the account number.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The phone is becoming aware

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheParadigm posted:

Double edit: Is anyone interested in physical snail mail spam reduction? Its another hastle

I would pay $5/m or however much it would cost to pay their revenue to pay for the USPS to not give me junk mail. Other countries have "Yes, give me garbage / No, gently caress off with your junk mail" signs for mailboxes which feels especially enlightened but here we are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Checks from my health insurance still come in the mail, government correspondence (tax bills etc), the folks who can't use internet, it sucks but there's still some stuff in the mail.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I don't think the USPS should go away, but the landscape has changed tremendously since 1990. It's still useful for official mailings and such but it's usually weeks to months between something that isn't junk , and having the "we'll just scan it and let you know" service would let me not have to sort through garbage daily for Just In Case. It's like complaining about the DNC list because we don't want telephony to disappear.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tunicate posted:

again, just complain the spam makes you horny and they have to stop

This feels like the wrong time to hold up the line at the post office to complain that the mail gives you an commerce boner

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Some plans (usually those without co-pays) do reimbursement rather than they pay the doctor then the doctor bills you the diff. I think it's a vanishing number of plans since most have moved to an HMO or PPO model, but they still exist.

It's out of network stuff for me, from what I can tell, and I suspect it's how the billing works on the insurance end. I'll get a statement in the mail along with a check. The statement will say "your doctor billed X, we negotiated Y, we covered Y1, here's the check for that. You're going to pay them Y (or X) and here's our part of that payment. Have fun!

American health care is incredibly stupid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

King Missile to the rescue!

I just want to let you know that I got that ancient reference

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

May or may not make you hulk out and murder your whole family before making you commit suicide by cop.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Definitely the approach the salesperson where I got my last car used, I was super pleased with his "yep, you told me what you're looking for, here's the car, here's what I'll sell it for, let me know." Minor haggle with the trade in but basically a bullshit free experience. A++++ would casually buy again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Had to laugh at a piece of junk in my spam filter with the subject line

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that one.

I'm genuinely disappointed that you didn't look at the message in webmail to see what they were sending.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Regarding auto sales: there was a guy who worked as an auto broker (buyer hires him, he finds the car you wanted) on Jalopnik who used to spend quite a few columns bitching about the internet/actual price disconnect. He used to deal with slimeball dealers pulling the “well actually” thing with prices/fees/etc all the time. His usual response was to move on but he was hitting up multiple states worth of dealers because he was doing it over the internet and also...for a living.

Fake edit: He’s still there: https://jalopnik.com/author/tommcparland

Auto brokers are the very best, if you know what you want and aren't good at doing the legwork and the haggling, I 100% recommend them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

I think there was a thread here a loong time ago by someone who was involved in that cult/scam org that drives teenagers around in vans and make them go door-to-door selling books.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

It sounds familiar, I think it was a front page article at some point

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Red Oktober posted:

That's a common tactic - apparently people are likely to pick up if it shows their own number. Makes sense, if only to find out 'what is this here?'

I don't live near the area code where I got first cellphone over a decade ago, so any number that starts with the same first six digits as mine is easy to automatically mark as spam.

Cannot wait for authentication to finally happen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

You know it'll be used exclusively to gently caress with the have-nots and never ever to gently caress with wrongdoers, right?

Like DKIM, SPF, and DMARC?

I'm very cynical in general but not that cynical.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's also people who know that it's probably money laundering, but are willing to do it anyway as long as they get a cut.

My favorite is "real estate investor seeks trainee, serious inquiries only" which... I'm not sure who you plan to rope in with that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that got me was 20k a month. If they'd kept in a more believable range, they'd probably get more nibbles. If I decide to go ahead and gently caress with them a little, I'll post the results here but I'd bet both my testicles it's some Amway poo poo.

Use a GV number or something and call them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pekinduck posted:

Even if you take their explanation at face value its pretty clearly planned obsolescence. They pile more and more crap in forced updates nobody wants until you need a new device with a more powerful processor.

I have a 6 year old ipad which is now pretty much unusable despite being in perfect physical shape. Websites take 30 seconds to load, the browsers always crashing and pdfs won't open. Not buying an apple product again.

Browsers get hungrier and hungrier for resources, while your battery starts to get more and more anemic. That's not counting all of the increasing numbers of ad servers and metrics tracking scripts that get shoved around, or the straight up full fetches and parsing of some random 3MB js library because someone wanted something to go THIS way instead of THAT way. Guess what, fucko, we're auto playing a video for you now, whether you want us to or not, get ready and start parsing!

Think of computer years as sort of like dog years, then compare it to car models. Your (6*7=42) year old 78 chevy malibu is getting beat out by someone's new Honda Civic doesn't necessarily mean that detroit is trying to screw you over. You've also possibly had some things go that shouldn't go, but that's life.

Blue Moonlight posted:

All the iPads released in 2015 and 2016 were initially running some iteration of iOS 9. Those “forced updates” are the only reason you’re able to even try to use many web sites, because web development is a loving garbage fire done by people who only use the latest version of Google Chrome. I had a meeting today with engineers drooling over the possibility of dropping iOS 10 support, and a meeting yesterday about getting resources to properly support older browsers.

Seriously - the majority of web engineers give less of a poo poo about you using your six year old iPad than Apple does.

Web development is a dumpster fire because of all of the different stupid combinations you need to worry about supporting, not because developers are lazy (we are but that's irrelevant to this).

Supporting older versions of iOS means supporting older versions of Safari that haven't been updated in years, which means finding out that whoops, that thing you wrote that's coming along great actually craps out entirely on some ancient browser that's used by 0.2% of your userbase. You can increase the dev time by 30% to try to figure out if maybe there's a way to work around it and use something, or you can live your life and collect your paycheck, because the person with a 6 year old ipad probably isn't going to be a paying customer.

Inspector 34 posted:

It's honestly not that big a hassle on Android either. Maybe it's because I've specifically only owned Google devices since the G1 but especially the last few phones I've had (various generations of Nexus/Pixel) you pretty much just sign into your
Google account and it asks if you want to download all your apps/contacts. Sure you then have to sign into those apps as you open them and probably setup security stuff, but it's over the last 3 or 4 phones I've owned it's never really taken more than a few minutes from boot up to functioning device. Maybe not as simple as what you described for Apple, but certainly not a difficult process.

I actually just got a Pixel 5 last week. Migrating from a 3 was pretty nice, all of the Google apps worked out of the box because everything is on :yayclod: THE CLOUD :yayclod: so you're already authenticated and started fetching in the background. Many of the third party apps I had installed used the data backup, so I was already set, and many of them used the Smart Lock password management stuff so I didn't even need to sign in.

I also owned a G1, though for a brief time I also owned an iPhone 5. It's pretty delightful how far we've come over the last decade!