Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

We're working on the basis that posters itt are not actually planning or participating in these activities.

I would say assumption-making like this is one of the traits that scammers are attracted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Berk Berkly posted:

A lot of chumps seem to think you can just hide poo poo in a cart, making a wall of 12/18/24 pack cans of soda/beer and in the middle a bunch of meat with a layer of dog food on top and just walk out like no one is going to even notice. Sometimes they do get away with it because the front is too busy/distracted and they don't notice that guy walking out between the kids and the old people. But that is hardly a scam, thats just straight up taking a shot at it.

What exactly is the logic here? "No one will realize I'm stealing some meat if they see that I'm also stealing a couple 12 packs of coke and a bunch of dog food"?

I can understand someone taking a cart full of poo poo and trying to just make it out the door with it, but I don't see the point in trying to hide what's in the cart with more unpaid-for stuff

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot sauce posted:

edit: This reminds me of the water bottle scam. In the summer, people will dig empty water bottles out of the trash can and fill them up in a public place. They put them in a rolling cooler with ice and sell them in tourist areas. Always check the seal on a bottle of water before drinking it.

There's an entirely different "bottle scam" very common in NYC which involves someone carrying a glass bottle of juice or some beers (or they will often use a pair of glasses for the same thing), then bump into a tourist and drop the bottles, breaking them, and start yelling at the tourist claiming they broke the bottles and now owe $20 or some poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sullat posted:

Yeah, this has been a big problem in the US as well, people calling random people, saying "this is the IRS, you owe us $5000, go to Walmart and send us a pre-paid Debit card for that amount or we'll arrest you!" Sometimes they have confederates who call a few minutes later pretending to be the police. This isn't really the kind of scam a random meth head can cook up, though, you need access to phone lists and have an overseas call center available.

No, you don't need an overseas call center, and it's trivial to get the contact info for people who could potentially be in debt by going through the garbage at an apartment complex.