Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of Sovereign Citizen crap:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-lawyer-pseudolegal-lawsuit-1.7072762

They’re all really just looking for the magic legal spell that makes them rich.

Lmao this is coming from a lawyer:

quote:

She argued that she was appearing in court as "a living, breathing, alive woman," not a lawyer, and said she would refer to herself using a lowercase "i."

"That i possess a licence to practice law in the legal jurisdiction of the province of British Columbia does not make i into a lawyer, the same way that having a driver's licence to drive a motor vehicle does not make i into a driver," Arbabi said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

We were sure a family member was getting romance scammed by a Filipino woman. They met online and he's a kinda awkward tech dude who hasn't had great luck with women in the states. After a fast and purely digital courtship he flew to the Philippines to propose to her with an expensive diamond ring. The woman already had four kids of varying ages from perhaps two men. So red flags all over the place. His siblings were desperately trying to talk some sense into him.

But that was like 10 years ago, and they're apparently still happily married back on the States. I've met her and she's a nice woman with nice kids, half of whom were already in high school when he brought them over. They had a baby together and seem to be a happy mixed family.

So yeah, love and immigration is complex... :shrug:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Inceltown posted:

I met a dude on the train once who was complaining that he was struggling to convince immigration that his relationship was true love. It wasn't his fault that the 4 other women he married all abandoned him the instant they could.

Just pathologically incapable of realising he's a mark.

You missed a golden opportunity to fleece him in some (non-romantic) way.