Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Some years ago my phone number got onto a list sold around to credit card scammers. I get robocalls offering to lower my credit card rates. I figured they were just trying to steal my credit card information, but apparently some of them do actually sign you up for an awful debt consolidation plan.

The FTC advises you to never press 1 like the recorded message says. Before I knew that, I would occasionally do it and mess with the operator or try to get some information. The most illuminating question was "What company do you work for?" -- four times out of five they would hang up instantly, and the last one said he worked for "Credit Services" or something and wouldn't give an address or main phone.

I also get occasional calls from people impersonating police or the IRS, threatening me with vague legal action if I don't call back.

I put the "disconnected" SIT tones in my voicemail message, I block the numbers on my phone, and report most of them to the FTC or FBI as appropriate. I don't know if that actually helps but the calls stop for a while sometimes. It's been over a month since the last time I was bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

RandomCheese posted:

There have been a couple of variants that stored the key locally and some AV companies were able to decrypt the user files from this, but a lot of ransomware infections store their keys on external servers so there's no way (without massive computing power and several years processing time) to get that info without paying. There was one recently that spread out and infected a heap of machines but their hosting service got wind of what they were doing and shut down all their accounts, leaving those who got hit with no way of recovering their files at all due to the place that hosted their decryption keys no longer existing.
If you wait long enough you might get lucky. The US government, with other governments and universities and private companies, took down the original cryptolocker servers and recovered most of the keys: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-leads-multi-national-action-against-gameover-zeus-botnet-and-cryptolocker-ransomware

SilkyP posted:

Not sure if this is the past place to ask but I've been getting a poo poo ton of telemarketing spam calls recently on my cell phone (may have accidentally answered one call like a month ago and now the flood gates have opened)
Once I realized these same 3 to 5 numbers are bogus I just blacklisted and blocked them but it's still annoying as gently caress and sometimes they poo poo up my voice-mail box with blank 15 second voice-mails. Anyways is there any way to gently caress with these numbers back? Anything I can do to fight back? The ones I've answered seem to be computer run, maybe one was real live person but the rest were just bots. Is there a program out there that will just continuously call these fuckers numbers? Please help shits pissing me off.
The FTC says you shouldn't interact with the call at all. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0108-national-do-not-call-registry#unwanted There's a system called nomorobo that won the FTC's challenge to stop these robocalls, but they never supported my cell phone carrier and now it looks like they only do VOIP for some reason.

You can try putting the "disconnected" SIT tones on your voicemail. That helped me for a little while.

I report these calls to donotcall.gov. They come and go. I've gotten 3-4 a week before, but I haven't had one in the last few months.

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2016

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

JiimyPopAli posted:

Don't get people's hopes up, that was from 2 years ago. Now instead of one coder running his ransomware scheme, he has other people do it for him "Ransomware As A Service (RAAS) : https://blog.knowbe4.com/cyberheistnews-vol-6-1-first-javascript-only-ransomware-as-a-service-discovered

That whole blog is pretty good if you're interested in ransomware at all.
Yeah, I meant the original round of victims was lucky, if they waited. New versions and copycats will be harder to track down; some might take better security measures or even lose the keys themselves.