Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Can you tldr for those of us who deleted Twitter?

The emails are real but nobody seems to know why they are being sent. Some people who managed to get through to Amazon support (which is completely flooded with calls right now) say they are told that they were supposed to be an educational campaign and others were told that they were sent in error.

It is likely some sort of warning system got hosed up or misconfigured at Amazon and fired off millions of emails that it shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The easiest and safest way (but not cheapest) to handle it would be to hire an estate lawyer that your mom can point everyone to. Legitimate callers will be fine with dealing with the lawyer since it is common and means their concerns will be dealt with promptly and professionally, so your mom can safely hang up on anyone who pushes back.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Not sure if anyone knows what this could be a sign of. But when I lived in an apartment, I used to get mail addressed to the wrong person. I figured they were an older tenant who had moved and not told their bill collectors. Then when my wife and I moved in with in-laws, we kept getting letters addressed to that person at our new location. When we moved a third time, we are still getting letters addressed to this mysterious "LInda Fenwick". Most of them are letters like "Sell your house for cash" and stuff.

Could our identities be stolen by this Linda Fenwick?

If I recall correctly the USPS will notify bulk senders when a mail piece gets forwarded due to a change of address, if the senders request it. The senders then update their databases with the new address without the person ever having to notify them.

If you look on the front of the letters, does it say "forwarding service requested"? If so that is probably the explanation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A lot of the scams are basically run like sales call center businesses. The people doing the scamming make almost all of their income off of commission and have strictly enforced quotas. Since the businesses are organized crime rings they don't bother adhering to things like minimum wage rules and the penalties for missing quotas can range from zeroing out income to actually making the worker's income negative by charging the worker for the use of the equipment.

When the scammer realizes that they are being messed with the scammer is going from being excited about potentially making a lot of money to realizing that they are now at risk of losing a significant chunk (or all!) of what they've already earned for the pay period due to not hitting their quota.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The people who design the phishing tests can be real fuckers.

A former friend worked at Google was also friends with some of the penetration testing team who told him about their biggest hit: a very senior employee that had been there basically since the founding of the company and was in charge of a bunch of sensitive projects that they judged would be of interest to a state level actor.

So they used info from the guy's LinkedIn profile to see when he hit either 15 years with the company (can't remember which) and then FedExed him a large congratulations package at work (main mail drop address, "Attn: Employee Name") a few months later. One of the many professionally done items was a custom engraved crystal plaque which lit up with Google colors... for a couple minutes at which point the included power adapter died. But don't worry there was also a usb cord!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For a state level actor after something really critical it could be a plausible spear-phishing scenario but there's no way that it would deployed against some Google search developer.

Google employees tend to have a pretty inflated opinion about the importance and value of their ad-sales empire

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Midjack posted:

The wildest thing I ever got was a silver certificate in change at a subway sandwich shop one time. No idea how it ended up in their register.

Someone stole it from a collector and spent it like normal money because they weren't aware of the true value, didn't want to risk getting recognized as a thief when selling it to a collector willing to buy it, or just just didn't give a gently caress because it didn't cost them anything to obtain.

Very very very common for a jackass kid or junkie relative to steal grandpa's lifelong numismatic hobby or collection of silver coins then spend all of it for face value.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's quite possible that the spam filter "trick" is sending the refund scam contact instructions in a pdf invoice at a time of year when legitimate invoices are showing up in emails at orders of magnitude higher rates than usual.

I checked my spam folder in gmail and since Dec 1st it is seriously ~90% "package pending for delivery" scam emails. All the hörrny womeen who typically email must have found the lǔv they were looking for, truly a holiday miracle!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wesleywillis posted:

I've texted back "suck my loving dick you oval office piss cocksuckers" once or twice and haven't gotten anything for a few years now.

That's the real trick.

Campaigns hire people that literally copy/paste your number over from a list into a "to" field at the top of a pre-populated text to get around laws regarding autodialing to cell phones (which DO apply to political campaigns).

The trouble with political texts is that your number is in a national party level list which the individual campaigns and organizations buy access to. By design the organization that has the national list will never ever text because they don't want to have to prune the numbers off and make the list less valuable. Telling an individual campaign to "Stop" will get your number removed from that individual campaign, but there's nothing to stop the national organization from continuing to sell access to your number to other campaigns and organizations.

On the other hand if you make it abundantly clear that you are not part of the demographic that the campaign or party is trying to reach, the campaign will occasionally feed that back to the national level organization (along with a list of dead numbers) and your number will get dropped. Republicans kept texting me and even followed me across states until I replied to one of their Senate campaigns with "why would my queer rear end ever vote for Republican when they want me to stop existing?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fil5000 posted:

I had to transfer the deposit for my new house recently, over £100k, which meant going into the bank to do a CHAPS payment and I spent the entire time trying to seem like I'd done my due diligence on the transfer (called the solicitor and verified the account details independently of the email they'd sent, that sort of thing) while also trying NOT to sound like someone who was over prepared because they were a fraudster. The bank staff have some prepared scripts to read when you're doing a transfer that big that include things like "scammers will tell you to lie to the bank about these things" and I had to try really hard not to say "yeah so I could just be lying, and I'd keep lying because the scammers had told me to, what does this achieve" but I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to gently caress up my house purchase!

USAA bank had me jump through a rather impressive number of hoops before I could send a large (~$120k) wire transfer for the down payment on my house.

What I found really interesting is that a lot of the questions were open ended like "how did you receive this destination account number?" and they put my call to them on hold and called me back via another verified phone number on the account. I thought the call was a nifty way to protect against someone faking my number, but I just now realized that it also would be highly likely to cause me to reveal that someone else was on another line coaching me through the process if that were happening.

I read an article which made a rather compelling argument that some pretty significant details don't add up in that lady's story about falling for the scam, the big one being that you can't just go into a bank and get $50k in cash. Not only would the bank interrogate you about why you were trying to get $50k in cash, most bank branches simply don't have that much cash on hand.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Red Oktober posted:

I'm not following here - how is it likely to cause you to reveal that?

Can't receive a phone call because the line is already in use and the scammer won't be able to talk to the victim if they are put them on hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Desert Bus posted:

I got a message from ??? asking if I was still up for hiking on Saturday. I figured "Eh it's only a bit of effort" and sent a "sorry wrong person!" text back just in case. If not real i'm wasting a scammers time. win win

They messaged back and it was clear it was chatGTP or something so I started talking about snails and pockets on women's clothes and I think I broke the bot to the point where it just wasn't telling me where to send it money? Or giving me any suspicious links to click?

It's an independent business woman who loves god and I've had more productive convo's with 3 year old children.

It's a pig butchering scam. They aren't going to send you a link now, they are going to spend the next couple weeks/months getting increasingly flirtatious while also talking more and more about the amazing profits they are making investing in crypto. They will then turn to talking about how great your life together will be if you both strike it rich, then they will send you a link.

And you've had more productive conversations with 3yos because the person you are texting is a non-native-speaker working in a sweatshop carrying on 20 similar conversations from copy/pasted scripts and google translate.