Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Shingouryu posted:

My grandfather was a victim of this one. Someone called him claiming to be me and told him I was stranded after a car accident in Europe (I live in the US). The next day he called my cell phone asking if I was okay, and got kind of depressed when it became clear he was scammed. He lives alone in a retirement community, so I suppose the bastard saw him as easy prey :smith:

Someone tried this on one of my facebook friends once, from my account. Unfortunately for them I was already logged in and saw the messages pop up, claiming that I was in England, had lost my passport (I didn't even have one at the time), I needed $900 wired to me, and just interjected 'Hey my account is compromised, that's not me, I'm at home, send no money'. The scammer tried to defend their plea for a hilarious minute or two while I changed my password but it could have been so much worse if they'd tried on one of my family members and I hadn't been there. Sorry about your grandpa, that always sucks. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Unless you have very little experience or have no other options, temp agencies are pretty much a scam. You'll get minimum wage, they'll get twice that for your time even though they didn't give you any sort of training.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Also would be remiss to mention Synanon without the programs that lifted off their philosophy for "troubled teens" like Elan School which was basically just a vehicle for child abuse like regularly making students be screamed at by everyone else in the room or kept in a corner for days or weeks

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

hyperhazard posted:

Piggybacking on that, if you want to be absolutely horrified, check out this autobiographical comic from a dude who survived Elan.

https://elan.school/

The part that made me angriest was that his parents didn't believe him after he was released, even when he showed them proof. The entire thing is so very hosed up.

Seconding this link. The story's not over but there's enough to read to give you a look into how loving horrific it was.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

my best friend got suckered into selling cutco for vector. i don't think she actually sold a single set but they sure did work when we needed to slash some tires

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I wanna say that was 50s Girl Groupon/Unexpected Road? They had an e/n thread, and as I recall we were all "yay!", rooting for them because they got a job, then it slowly veered into "oh. Oh no" territory.

I think that thread got goldmined once Road got a real legit job and an apartment. Sorry I don't have a link!

Unfortunately they have been having a rough go and have a current GBS thread.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Is it time for the "Goodwill is poo poo and treats the people it supposedly helps like poo poo while legally paying them less than minimum wage because labor law allows you to do that with disabled employees" reminder? Between that and Salvation Army being a fundie group that hates queer people, you owe it to yourself to research local thrift shops and find one that goes to a legit cause instead.

Value Village, Goodwill, and Salvation Army are all on my no list. I've found there's a lot of smaller op shops run by charities which I prefer.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sanford posted:

It does, but that final bit of "now all the fake poo poo is on Etsy too" is what really sucks. As a consumer it's impossible to tell what's a real, artisanal product and what's a knockoff from Ali. Ali uses the original pics from Etsy, and so in turn do the Ali resellers back on Etsy. Impossible to tell what you're getting until it arrives.

That said, link to the goon dice provider, please?

This is really the worst part. For a while etsy was a great place to get handmade stuff and indie art. Now it's hardly possible to search without your results being 75% crap from aliexpress, 20% adds for poo poo that doesn't match your filters at all, and 5% actual results. Plus don't even get me started on seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, to be fair, if I ordered 200 morning glory seeds from a business called The Cottage Garden that claimed to be based in Mississippi in March and then got a package of 500 seeds that were obviously not morning glory seeds from a Kazakhstan business with a totally different name in July, and the package was labeled “Stud Earrings,” I might not associate those two events, either.

This is what most of the etsy stores are doing.