Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I go suckered into buying some prayer beads once, but the lady was like a hundred years old and didn't seem to understand/hear English very well. I had no idea what she was going on about so I just gave her $5 and she kissed my hand and walked away.

I have also twice had Hispanic dudes approach me at gas stations and ask me to break a $100 bill for them so they could buy gas. Both times it was legit but I assume I am going to get burned at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I can imagine doing this as a way to get a couple legitimate bills for one counterfeit.

Yea, but at the same time, around here Hispanic dudes are very often contractors/labors who are paid in cash and both times the gas station had "no bills larger then $20" signs. The loss of $100 would not ruin me and I like to be helpful where I can in life.

Once a roommate of mine fell for the white van speaker thing, but it was pre-Internet everywhere so it took us a while to convince him he was taken. He rounded up some of our more beefy redneck friends, found the guys, and got his money back.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

Aren't stories about how panhandlers are secretly rich and faking their mental illness like one of the oldest urban poo poo that didn't happen myths? They exist for a reason, so you can feel better about not giving bums money.

One of the Sherlock Homes stories has this as a plot point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

People appear to be willing to work surprisingly hard for easy money.

We once had someone, over the course of a single night, steal an entire 30y dumpster full of scrap metal from behind the shop. Like, this must have taken like 3-4 pickup trucks and just hours of hauling poo poo out. And steel wasn't even going for very much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think what makes it a scam they are not out and our extorting money out of you with a threat of violence, they're just using unspoken intimidation which is vastly harder to prove were to come to court.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I drove next to this guy on the highway once for about 10 minutes and nearly wrecked my car trying to keep pace with him hope that he would notice me and give me a big thumbs up and a grin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really pay taxes from age 19 to like 30-32. The IRS was just absurdly easy to deal with when it came time to pay it back. Because I had bothered to half hearty file for a few of those years, they dropped a ton of the interest and penalties and accepted "I was poor and an idiot" as a reasonable explanation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have seen the "leave the paw on for positive ID" thing with rabbits before. This was in a little country store though, not some guys truck.

My mother, who is usually a pretty clever lady, has recently bought a bunch of frozen steaks and a loving tiny chest freezer from some guys in a truck. She claims she paid under hundred dollars for all of it and, having had her along when I have bought new cars, she may have actually worn these guys down to the point where they just wanted her to leave them loving alone so they keep going about their day. In any case, once they are done with the steaks I'm going to steal that little chest freezer to make a kegerator out of it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dont you guys just jam your gas cap into the handle to keep the gas pumping?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I got a call a few months ago from someplace trying to collect on some zombie debt from like literally a house I lived in 13 years ago. As my job at the time involved sitting at a desk answering calls and dealing with vendors all day I strung guys along for loving weeks.

I finally told them I would gladly pay if they just faxed all their evidence over to my attorney who would handle it. Strangely enough they never sent anything to the perfectly legitimate fax number I provided them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

drunk asian neighbor posted:

When I drove to Montreal the border guard lady was super bitchy and suspicious towards me. Yes, lady, I am bringing weed from the USA into Canada, yessiree!

Hah, I was on a tour buss crossing the border and some dipshit left a switchblade out in a cupholder. So the entire bus gets searched and I am borough into a room and confronted with a pile of rolling papers. I smoked handrollies but the papers that come with tobacco suck, so I just tossed them in a box in my bunk and used zigzags. When asked "where is the pot son?" I started laughing and made some crack about smuggling pot into Canada being like smuggling shoddy leather goods into Mexico. They were not amused at all.

And then we get to the venue and within 10m one of the local crew offers to sell us pot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I do event production and did a national meeting for some MLM group a few months ago.

Very telling that the convention center went and added like a hundred signs explaining their "no soliciting" policy before the event started.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would be very hard pressed to not plug a found USB into something. Way too curious/nosey.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I used to work for this super shady touring bridal tradeshow and after the first year we all demanded absurd raises. The owner gave in but slashed our crew budget so the production manager had to post CL adds to find a crew every weekend.

We ended up getting a Hells Angels dude one time and from then on we would just hire his entire chapter to do the show in that city.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I would read a thread and or many posts about Hells Angels doing a bridal show. Just sayin'.

Not much to tell, they were a pretty good crew. Always arrived on time and while the club president was very much a nonworking lead, he kept the rest of the guys in line. Only shady incident was when A guy forgot to stash his gun and it fell out while he was running cables under a stage. But he just snuck back under during the show and got it and no one saw him.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think the real lesson is to not get so wrapped up in a media product that you were willing to fly across the country to go to a goddamn convention for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Why on earth would you read yelp reviews? Just look at the pictures and pick a place based on that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll admit that if I'm on vacation and having a great time, I'll check the 1* reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp during a 5 minute down period just to laugh at the utter nonsense some people write, and think that matters.

Oh yea, my coworkers and I will send each other the one star reviews for the hotels we get stuck in, it can be funny as hell. But picking food by reading internet reviews seems like picking music based on youtube comments.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

On vacation it's a decent way of finding places that aren't chains and won't give you the runs.

Well yea, I do that all the time, but I just look at the pictures of the food, the user reviews, like most opinions on the internet, are useless.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have had the same cell phone number since 1998 and I get maybe one or two random sales calls a year in english, maybe 5-6 in spanish.

I am just not popular?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EKDS5k posted:

It's been a thing for like a year now. It took way too long to implement it, but apps now need line by line permissions, with a prompt the first time the app tried to access that particular thing.

Re: companies not checking before approving funds: I've worked for several shops and whenever I have to go to a supplier to pick stuff up, I've been asked for a PO#, but they never check in the store if it's legit. Combine that with the fact that a lot of smaller shops, hell, even bigger ones, don't have a real system for issuing them (ie they can just be a word, or a random number, or the work order number, or customer name, or whatever), and it occurs to me that I could walk into any NAPA auto parts store, buy several hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, claim it's for United Rentals and make up a PO number. It would take weeks for the invoice to land on someone's desk in accounts payable, and longer still as they chase down a packing slip that was never turned in. It's so easy that I'm legit surprised it isn't way more common.

Yea, it is crazy to me that I can wander into a Fastenal anywhere in the country and charge a grand worth of stuff just by saying the name of a company I (sometimes) work for. It's even better as buying that much stuff is a sure sign that my day is going down in flames so I am gonna going to be a twitchy stressed out mess in the store. But they never question it and just give me the tools.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I travel for work all the time and I have never hear a coworker complain about a random meal charge, so I idk if it is really common, but I do agree only the nicer places will let you do it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you're extremely paranoid, even nice hotels will let you use a debit card at check-in. They don't want to do it, they'll put a big hold on your bank account which could last for weeks after you check out, and you won't be able to charge anything to your room, but, hey, nobody else will either.

Totally untrue, it happened to me dozens and dozens of times touring with small lovely companies. If there is an issue with the card that the room is supposed to be on they just take the card I put down for incidentals and charged the room(s) to that. I actually got a CC again just to use for hotel check ins so I didn't lose access to my money while it got sorted out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

My mom locked my 9 month old daughter in my new car, then flagged down a cop that TRIED his slim Jim, but just hosed up the paint and the lock.

When I got there he ghosted.

Slim jims take a good bit of practice to get good with. At one of my old jobs we had a sprinter that for some reason people we always locking the keys in, after a month or three I think our warehouse manager could have quit and become a professional car thief. Every time someone else tried we would gently caress up the paint, window seal, or the door mechanism, or sometimes all three.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MANime in the sheets posted:

And wireless. Ajit Pai and co. view 4G as a viable alternative and competitor to land lines.

Isnt it though? Like I have friends who use their phones for 99% of their internet use. Other then games and streaming I don't think I would miss wired internet if I had to do without it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I would pay a significant amount of money a month to have a phone where you had to white list numbers to be able to call you. I can't think of the last time I got a phone number out of the blue and it was a call I actually wanted. poo poo, even looking for jobs all my contacts were via email.

Maybe it's just because I've had the same phone number for 18-19 years now, but I absolutely get at least one or two random calls per year from people I haven't talked to in maybe a decade. I also get a fair number of phone calls about work from existing clients/employers giving my contact info to other people.

I maybe get two dozen spam calls a year, so hanging up on them isnt really a burden.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get multiple a day. How the gently caress do these assholes choose targets? Median income level for that area code?

Actually, that would make a lot of sense.

I have no idea. I don't know how they would figure out your income from a cell phone number, like I'm sure it's possible that seems like way more work then will be worth it if you're spamming Robo calls everywhere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Is there any data for the compliance rates for these TV tax programs? I wonder if the rate of return is worth it what you paid for all the equipment and salaries for the TV inspectors.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If they can farm the work out I would assume it is. The company who buys the contract to do the collections is assuming all the capitol investment and if they can stay solvent with both that and passing on a chunk of it to the state, then obviously there's a decent enough return. As far as the state is concerned it's free income without having to invest anything.

As with just about all tax farming schemes the only people inconvenienced are the tax payers.

That makes sense, but I'm really curious to know what the voluntary compliance rate is, it's got to be pretty low to make farming out the enforcement profitable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dropping out of college and getting my Money Laundering Clearance Certificate was the smartest decision I ever made!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna start writing all of my RFPs to sound like a weird scam email.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Just gotta get on the spice and fold space in half.

Weed isn't that good yet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

I think the strongest stuff out there peaks around 24, 25% THC content. Once they cross the 50% barrier, then yeah, you could probably travel the multiverse with it.

The Marijuanaut Guild has multidimensional travel locked down and they take an extremely unchill view of scabs honing in on their action.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Dabs not scabs

:allears:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, it seems like everyday there are more concert videos that I want to grab the audio from, but I am not terribly computer savvy and I'm a little gun shy about installing random stuff on my computer.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sleppy posted:

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ is a great command line tool that can download from a bunch of sites in lots of formats, and you don't have to worry about any shady third party.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ someone made a GUI for it as well if you don't want to bother with commands.

I finally got time to try this, but I keep getting an error but nothing to explain what went wrong, I think I have it set right to pull the audio from a youtube video, but idk what I am doing.

Does this look correct? I am trying to grab the audio from this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89JtjisHr4&t=24s

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I was on a quest to buy a used truck for like two years . It is insane what people want for an old clapped out toyota, poo poo like "01 tacoma, 158k miles, no transmission, raccoon living in cab, $15,000 obo, racoon is friendly!" seems to be most of CL at this point. Or I would call about an add and ask "Are the cab and bed mounts rusted?", like half the time the owner admits they are and we are done, but the other half of the time they lie to me so I spend a morning driving out, immediately crawling under the truck, scraping a fat scab of rust off the mounts, call the owner a jackass, and driving home. I finally got lucky and found a coworker who was selling his beater, it's a crap truck but at least it cost next to nothing. At this point I would rather get a loan and pay interest then deal with CL anymore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

Old Toyota trucks are goddamn completely insane when it comes to cost - they’re perfectly fine vehicles, but in no way justify the prices people ask/pay for them. Rangers are every bit as tough and reliable as Toyotas, and they’re literally half the cost.

I have had two rangers die premature deaths, so I am not gonna risk a third. Like any over 150k truck, esp a 4wd, is going to be a roll of the dice, but I sunk so much loving money into my last ranger I cannot stand to look at another one.

Emotional investment in a beater truck is the scam you pull on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My Social Security number has never felt particularly secure, I used to work as a freelance stage hand and would fill out about two dozen different W9s every year, all of which just went into some dudes backpack and then eventually to whatever payroll service that employer was using. Same thing with credit card numbers, like every waiter I have ever handed a card to could've just copied all that poo poo down, so I have never felt particularly paranoid about someone getting ahold of it.