Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

BiggerBoat posted:

Quickest way to weed these out is just offer to buy them the item they claim to need. I like to help people out but also hate getting scammed so, if they seem to really need help, I'll say "I'm not carrying any cash but I can buy you the (gas, bus ticket, food, diapers, etc.)" Nine times out of ten they pass which tells you how often they really need help and how often it's a con.

Off the subject, but I love caper/con men/double cross movies (House of Games, Matchstick Men, Oceans Eleven, Hard Eight, The Sting, etc.). Can anyone recommend some good con man/scam movies?

I only did this once because I didn't have any money and wasn't about to go to the ATM with this dude in the middle of the night, he was asking me for gas money so i offered to buy him like 10 dollars in gas on my card. He accepted it and seemed genuinely grateful. I guess I caught the only one that wasn't a scam with that. Usually when people come up to me I just give them spare change in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have no doubt that panhandling could net you good money sometimes but it's kind of ridiculous to think they are going home to $300000 homes. How would you even buy a home? You're not making enough to buy one with cash and you technically have no income in order to get a mortgage.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When we were originally looking for a place to live when I got out of the army my wife got contacted from Craigslist saying they were an older lady that owned a house in East Texas that she wanted someone to live in for free to take care of it. Obviously it sounded like a scam so we didn't do it but she sent pictures of a house and everything. I always wondered what the scam was since she never asked for any money, although we never got past a few emails with her.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Isn't that illegal or at least against Amazon TOS?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah i'd feel alot safer buying speakers from a guy by a dumpster then just sending gold off to some random address.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

cheerfullydrab posted:

As in, if I come up to you in a clown suit, and I do nothing other than wear the suit and pressure you in a vaguely threatening manner for money until you give in, that's not "the clown scam" that's a drat robbery.

I've never heard of them threatening with violence (although i'm sure that could happen). I think they more of make a public spectacle and kind of embarrass you into giving them money. Usually its done in a pretty crowded area.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How does it work though? I assume everyone around you know its a scam so how would it be embarrassing? Its just such a weird thing because I don't see it working at all. If you try to publicly shame me by asking loudly for money i'll just keep walking because I assume everyone else that can hear you knows its a scam. If you try to threaten me vaguely i'll just walk away because after I leave you will probably never see me again so that doesn't scare me. Who does this work on?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I live in a state that doesn't happen and it would feel weird for someone to pump my gas for me. I'm sure you would get used to it if you lived in a state where it's normal but to me it would be like someone cutting up my food and feeding it to me in a restaurant.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I live in Texas and ours are all like that. It might be city to city though.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've always wondered if the reason older people are more susceptible to scams is because they can't reason as well when they get older or are the scams to different and more complex then when they were younger. I mean scams have been around since humans started talking so I can't believe they haven't seen scams before.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got had by a quick change guy when I worked at a grocery store when I was 18-19. He kept asking for different denominations of change. I knew in the back of my head that this was weird and that something scammy was going on but I was worried about getting in trouble for refusing to help a customer.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Whats the end game? You email back and you're like "What the hell?: and then they email you back and say "Hey whats your personal info?"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm also inclined to give homeless people money no matter their story for the same reason. I hardly ever have cash on me anymore though so usually I don't.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it makes no sense at all. Gatorade doesn't farm their sales out to independent salesmen and the stuff their selling is supposed to be even better?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah if your smart enough to know you shouldn't go to a strange interview where they refuse to tell you the job your doing then your probably smart enough to not fall for the pitch.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Panfilo posted:

No denying that however desperation can lead people to making questionable choices. When there is a serious shortage of solid full time jobs in an area even practical people can throw critical thinking out the window. Most of the people that got sucked into MLM 's were the most economically vulnerable.

Absolutely. I agree and also I don't think just because someone was dumb/gullible and fell for it that it makes it right. It should be illegal and I have no idea how it doesn't count as fraud or an issue of workers rights (I know lol america and all that but still).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Panfilo posted:

This also makes me wonder if MLMs are like gold in that they get really popular during times of financial insecurity. I mean if most people were in a position to work a stable full time job with benefits then why would they bother with something like Amway?

Maybe some of them, buy get rich quick schemes have been around since currency was first used I'm sure.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I havent answered but I started getting alot of calls from the "CDC" asking me to do a survey. Its on my work phone so its not even registered to me or connected to me in anyway. They dont name me by name though. Its a Utah number but I live in Texas and they say theyre the Utah CDC.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

gaj70 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. The word "become" implies a change in state

And the dictionaries agree:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

1a : to come into existence

b : to come to be become sick They both became teachers.

2 : to undergo change or development The pain was becoming more intense.

Lmao

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah why would they devote resources or even care to increase the storage on a service almost no one uses.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just curious: where do you live that you can choose your power company?

I thought everyone could. I live in Dallas and we have a few big providers to choose some and alot of really small providers tbat go door to door or work in like some kind of weird recruitment thing for lower prices. We have prepaid electric companies too.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It got done to me once when I was 20 working at Albertsons and I fell for it. I knew about halfway through that funny business was going on. I didn't know how to back out at that point and I figured I was good enough with numbers that he wasn't gonna fool me. I felt really stupid that day.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I can't figure the angle with this one, help me out.

Today I had 2 separate deliveries from Best Buy. The exact same handheld Dyson vacuum cleaner. One was Fed-Ex, one was mail. 2 different order numbers on the stickers. I called BB and they told me the first name of each order person, different people and not with a CC # I have. I did not recognize the names. They are going to send me shipping labels and I am going to send them back.

The only angle I can think of is that someone steals a CC #, ships to a address that is not connected with them at all, porch pirates the boxes and resells for 50%. The weird part about that theory though is we aren't a porch pirate friendly house, you would have to park on the street, walk down a long hill, grab the packages and carry them back up the hill.

Any theories?

Maybe just some kind of account error/glitch?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

His Divine Shadow posted:

My SO just donated 100€ to some charity via FB using debit straight to our family account.

You are way overreacting. People buy poo poo on FB all the time. It's not any more unsecure than any other online retailer or website.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah the electric providers thing is legit insofar as they are providing a real service at a normal price but it uses the sleaziest ways of getting business.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh yeah I get the emails all the time saying that my skills on my resume line up perfectly for their sales role. My resume? Full of installing cable, internet, home automation and alarm systems. Luckily theres just enough small sales in these roles that I know how terrible of a saleperson I would be so ive never given them a second glance.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh yeah it definitely is an MLM. I had a neighbor a few years ago get my roommate into it. She paid for the starting package (cant remember the price) and promptly sold 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Presumably itll bounce a few days after youve already sent the scammer portion back to him so he has your laptop and some extra money.