Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Not exactly a scam, but pretty dishonest, I've been seeing lots of these android based Kodi boxes showing up lately. I was at a big home and garden show last month and there were three different companies selling these things. They advertise how you can get thousands of movies and tv shows with no monthly fees ever, but obviously, there's no mention that the sources are completely illegal. A friend of mine bought one recently telling me how she cut her cable and Netflix because afte paying $300 to buy the box, everything's free and it's obviously not illegal like those horrible torrent sitez because she bought it from a store!

I knew how they just accessed Kodi, but I was legitimatly curious as to who pays the bandwidth to supply these obviously illegal streams, so I asked the sales guy at this home show.

"Why, by selling these boxes, of course!"

"That doesn't make any sense. You don't have to pay a royalty or anything to make these things, both Kodi and Android OS are free. You're not trying to tell me that you provide some of the streams yourself are you?"

He just gave me an annoyed look and walked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Couple years ago a perfectly respectable looking guy came up to me with a broken car key telling me how he broke the key in the ignition and then accidentally locked the car. He only needed $2 for the bus to get his spare set from home. I offered to help him break into his car, but he insisted it was too far away. Whatever, it was $2 so I gave it to him.

I've since run into him two more times with the same story in the same parking lot. No idea why he's got such an elaborate story for a measly $2. Also can't imagine making much each day.

I also had a friend fall for the computer virus popup scam. She told me the next day how she opened the link and filled in her credit card info, but the virus popup was still on her computer. I told her to check her transactions right now and sure enough, there were multiple payments to "google corp" that had maxed out her card. I had no idea that people under 30 fell for these.