Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A couple years back I was driving home from work and pulled off at a gas station to refill my tank. This couple, guy and girl, see me in my office clothes and probably assumed I had money for them. Just as I open the door the guy runs up and places himself on the other side, not allowing me to open it further than half a foot. Then they both start shouting contradictory statements at me nonstop.

"We're not from here we're lost!"

"We live right down the street!"

"We're starving can you please help?"

"We just ate at El Pollo Loco!"

etc., etc. This goes on for several minutes, my brain is a bit fuzzy from working all day and having this nonsense sprung on me so I just continue looking at them without saying anything. The guy is asking for gas money at this point, and trying to shove his iPhone in my hand while saying that if I think he's lying I can hold on to his iPhone until he pays me back (which I'm sure he'd locate using the app and then extort me into paying him to not call the police, if I had taken it). So alarm bells are going off in my head and there's plenty of gas stations left on my way home. So I tell them to call 411 and ask for a free gallon of gas and drive off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily I've never had to do it, but I thought I had heard that the encryption unlock key was stored on an infected computer's hard drive and that it could be accessed through safe mode?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SilkyP posted:

Not sure if this is the past place to ask but I've been getting a poo poo ton of telemarketing spam calls recently on my cell phone (may have accidentally answered one call like a month ago and now the flood gates have opened)
Once I realized these same 3 to 5 numbers are bogus I just blacklisted and blocked them but it's still annoying as gently caress and sometimes they poo poo up my voice-mail box with blank 15 second voice-mails. Anyways is there any way to gently caress with these numbers back? Anything I can do to fight back? The ones I've answered seem to be computer run, maybe one was real live person but the rest were just bots. Is there a program out there that will just continuously call these fuckers numbers? Please help shits pissing me off.

Don't bother. Just use the block feature on your phone.

If you get a call from a number you don't recognize, and aren't expecting a call, then just answer the phone but remain silent. It's often a machine looking for active numbers to add to its call list. If you remain silent it will think the line is bad. If you don't hear anything after several seconds then just hang up.

Anyone genuinely trying to reach you will usually just keep repeating, "Hello?" thinking it was a bad connection.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also exceptionally dumb that people are going :siren: TOXIIIINNNNSSSSSS YOU MUST REMOVE THEM ALL :siren: because the human body kind of, you know, has systems in place to deal with certain levels of toxins. Even the nastiest substances in existence have tolerable levels. The body is also remarkably good at fixing itself up even if you get exposed to harmful levels of most things.

I used to do consumer finance and one of our biggest referrers came from one of those alkalkine/Kangen water MLM schemes. The idea is that you attach a $3 to $5 thousand machine under your sink. It electrifies the water and changes the pH level. Apparently it was pretty big in Japan at the time.

Around the same time stores selling jugs of the water and the machines started popping up around the office district I worked in (Wilshire/UCLA), and some crazy looking guy got the local gym to let him stand in their lobby and rush up to you with with a cup full of Kegel water. I wasn't really happy approving or financing those deals, so I always turned the guy down. But man, he had the craziest loving look in his eyes like a cult leader who thought he'd found a lost soul.

I barely remembered anything from my high school biology at that point but I knew enough to realize that your body is able to maintain a normal pH level even if you drink a gallon of orange juice. I can't believe how many of those things the guy running that sold if he was just going through us for the ones people financed.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen those news stories and I think the worst person in them is the guy who always says something along the lines of,

"I thought they were homeless! I've given them some change or a buck on my drive home from work every day for the past couple years, I'm outraged!" As if their drive-by, low effort charity ever had the possibility of making meaningful change.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of which, those buy gold ads that were (are?) on Fox News were set up to get old people to buy coins with lower gold content and more "neumismatic" value. Anthony Wiener was apparently trying to push legislation to curtail the practice, which prompted Glenn Beck to make a website called Wiener Facts to mock and ridicule him. Then the dick pics leaked and Wiener dropped it, I guess. Wiener facts featured a dancing hotdog with Wiener's face on it.

I might be wrong it's been a while since I read about it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I assumed it had gone away because I never encountered it in Europe (where I live) and I thought the scam had passed before I encountered it. Maybe it is just a American spin on that scam. Has anyone encountered it outside the US?

It's still going at Venice Beach as well. I clench my fists whenever I walk by them now because simply letting your arms hang isn't enough. I've had those guys bend down and try to shove the CD in my hand like they were expecting me to reflexively grip it or something.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 29, 2016

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the only way to deal with it. They say something provocative in order to get you to respond, and then they're in control. Just walk away.

The LaRouchites on my campus did the exact same thing. No matter how smart you think you are, the person insulting you does it full time and they've heard variations of every response you give them. Although LaRouchites are a bit easier to push around and really don't like it when you ask questions like, "How long has it been since you've seen your family?" or "Why did you drop out of college to do this? What was your major?"

Speaking of which, a giant Abortion Wall used to pop up on my campus every fall. It was maybe two stories high, 40 yards long, and covered in pictures of genocide and dead babies. They'd surround it with bike racks and have attractive young girls point at passing men and ask if they could talk to them.

I got lured into this myself. As soon as you walked up they'd have either some older dude or an elderly lady still feeling guilty about the abortion she had 40 years ago swoop in and start lecturing you on the evils of abortion.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would embarrass all of my children, grandchilden, nieces, and nephews by wearing that suit in public and loudly declaring how related we are wherever I went. I'm the oldest cousin on both sides of my family, so I actually did that with a ton of my cousins during their surly teenage years.

It actually worked really well with them on vacations when they weren't anywhere near their home. They'd get over being embarrassed being seen with family in public really quick and go back to being the fun kids I remembered them to be.

Anyway Lesko kind of comes off as a social worker who went into the private sector. Depending on the price he doesn't come off as too scammy.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I took a cousin and his buddies through the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and a guy walked up a leather binder with $20's under plastic, which were supposedly donations. He didn't show that first though, my cousin just stood and stared as he went about his pitch. When the guy realized he wasn't picking up on the "give me money" part of his sales pitch he opened the binder, pointed at the 20's, and said, "See these $20's? People GAVE them TO ME."

My cousin and his buddies just continued to stare like idiots until I told the guy, "Hey, sorry for wasting your time. Let's go guys, c'mon."

I think it might have been because they had spent most of their life in the suburbs and then in a college town. They had not spent a lot of time in the city before then. So I guess pretending you're slow and mute is a good way to dodge a scam.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
RE: dropping USB drives, I've heard dropping blank CD's with poo poo like "August Payroll" written on them is also effective, since some random employee will definitely want to know how their pay stacks up against their coworker's.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
When I started work at an office about a decade ago every new hire in the building was required to attend a phone safety seminar. Part of it had to do with what you're supposed to do if you get a bomb threat.

The guy who ran it was ex-law enforcement or something and told us about an employee who'd received a bomb threat call and said, "Oh yeah!? We're not scared of you!" Then he left the building without telling anyone. Apparently the employee was caught, and I imagine very disappointed, because the person making the threat called back after he learned that no one had left the building.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I've received a ton of these things ever since I abandoned my landline and began listing my primary contact number on my resume and applying for jobs with it. Seems to me we're going to need and entirely new "Do Not Call" registry, similar to the "unsubscribe" feature on span emails.

I don't get why telecoms can't make call blocking a basic feature of the service and the phone either.

Telemarketers aside, you think about things like stalkers, abusive spouses, crazy exes and other estranged parties and you'd think at this stage it'd be a built in feature rather than an app you had to install.

Semi related, since I started applying for new jobs online, I get at lest one call a week from some MLM shithead at Primerica (I think it is) who, for whatever reason, seem to think that my extensive background in offset printing, graphic design, sign making and Adobe Creative Suite would make me a loving GREAT insurance salesman.

Go to their website and sign up for their classes with names like gently caress YOU STOP CALLING ME. That's how I got them to leave me alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sweart gliwere posted:

I've wondered about the viability of this virtual "prepaid postage envelope full of rocks and pennies" approach.

But I'd guess modern PCs are harder to choke with stuff like huge.jpg attached as an "I printed this form out and scanned it for you!" trick, same for auto run office macros, and obviously sending legit malware puts you at too much risk of legal trouble.

I made the mistake of putting my resume on Monster.com some years back, and as a result received a ton of calls from various insurance places.

It worked perfectly fine. I think the induction seminars only had space for 5 people so filling a few of them with profanity laced messages telling them about my giant dick and lack of desire to sell insurance got me taken off their call list fairly quickly..