Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

stringball posted:

Speaking of universities can someone tell me about "university" of phoenix, ITT tech, Collins college (they changed the name iirc after a shitton of bad publicity) or any for-profit schools?

From what I know they put people in awful debt and a "degree" that's probably not even worth the paper it's printed on

For profit schools make their money by aggressively recruiting people and encouraging them to take out massive loans, with zero regard to whether the students are actually able to complete the course work or their ability to repay those loans when they drop out or graduate.

Aside from their shady recruiting practices, for profit colleges also charge something like four times as much as a community college for the same training, and they heavily target veterans, since GI Bill money isn't considered federal benefits for the requirement that a school obtain at least 10% of it's funding from non-federal sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cumshitter posted:

Speaking of which, those buy gold ads that were (are?) on Fox News were set up to get old people to buy coins with lower gold content and more "neumismatic" value. Anthony Wiener was apparently trying to push legislation to curtail the practice, which prompted Glenn Beck to make a website called Wiener Facts to mock and ridicule him. Then the dick pics leaked and Wiener dropped it, I guess. Wiener facts featured a dancing hotdog with Wiener's face on it.

I might be wrong it's been a while since I read about it.

The scam Goldline (which was the one Glenn Beck hawked the hell out of) ran was basically pulling a bait and switch on people.

Goldline ads would try and convince people that they needed to buy gold, since gold prices would do nothing but increase and a total economic collapse was imminent. Once a customer was convinced to buy gold, Goldline would then try and get them to buy various gold coins instead of bullion (since the coins would be harder for Obama to seize), while never disclosing the fact that the coins were being sold at markups that approached 100% in some cases, so people who bought the coins lost a bunch of money if gold prices didn't keep increasing.

Even people who bought gold bullion didn't do that well (depending on when they bought into gold) once the US economy started recovering, since gold peaked at around $1800/oz in 2011, but currently trades for somewhere around $1200/oz.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I live in Idaho, and since the Mormon population loves MLM's, I don't think I can drive more than 3 blocks without seeing at least two vehicles advertising various pyramid schemes.

I have a friend who interviewed for job with Scentsy (an actual job at their HQ), and they were baffled when the interviewer kept asking questions about their "ward" in kind of roundabout ways.

They later realized that the interviewer was trying to find out how Mormon they were (which is insanely illegal to ask), so they've told anyone else interviewing there to try and surreptitiously record the interview (Idaho is one party consent), since that's probably going to get someone a good sized settlement if Scentsy HR is still that stupid.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They also advertise the crap out of the Boy Scout abuse thing on right wing talk radio, which probably explains why some of their audience is so spectacularly homophobic.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I had a finance guy at a car dealer insist I had to make at least six payments on a car I originally intended to pay cash for in order to qualify for a $3k rebate, on top of the usual "spend a half hour hard selling an extended warranty and VIN etching" BS and trying to get me to take out a 72 month loan since it "kept the payments down".

Unfortunately for the dealer, the paperwork I signed said absolutely nothing about how many payments I had to make, and once I confirmed that with the lender, I just paid off the car, so the entire amount of interest I paid was something like $9.

I later found out that the dealer usually doesn't get their kickback from the lender until the customer makes a certain number of payments, so the dealer essentially gave me a $3,000 rebate for free by not knowing what was in their own paperwork.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
MLM's are also extremely popular in Utah and Idaho (Utah has more MLM "independent consultants" per capita than any other state), to the point where the joke is that it stands for "Mormons losing money", and you see a ton of ads for them on cars in those states.

The MLM companies have figured that the Mormon traditions of women staying at home, doing missions where you spend a lot of time being rejected, emphasizing community and family, and tending to trust "natural medicine" mean that it's a community that's generally more open to MLM marketing than the general population, especially if they're hawking vitamins or some kind of supplement.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I may have picked a poor chose of word with "ads", since it's usually a giant sticker on the rear window that says something like "SCENTSY: independent consultant Karen McBossBabe" with a phone number and email address.

I think most of the actual recruiting and sales is done via social media spamming, since that's essentially free and easier to target.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I keep getting phone calls from "real estate investors" wanting to buy my home in Phoenix.

I don't actually own said property (my parents do, and my dad and I have the same first name), so I've started stringing them along for a while, negotiating prices, and then saying "oh, sorry, I don't actually own that", and hanging up.

One particularly insistent group (all different people clearly using the same script) refused to quit calling me, so I pretended to be very interested in learning about real estate investing, and asked who taught them how to do that. Once I got the name of the company, I reported them for a "do not call" violation, and that ended their calls.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The Seattle airport added a new food court last year, and it's got about 5 different places, with all the ordering done via central touchpad kiosks.

While this sounds simple, the system frequently won't send orders to the correct restaurant (they usually just vanish), or it'll send absolute gibberish orders, so the poor SOB's making the food have no clue what's actually been ordered.

This is the same airport that took three years to build a Subway (home of the $15 footlong), so it's absolutely not a surprise that they managed to gently caress up a food court this badly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My parents own property in Phoenix, and I keep getting calls from idiot "real estate investors" wanting to buy it, since I have the same name as my dad.

Usually, I just let Android screen them out as spam (which it's very good at), but I got a series of them that went through and left basically the same message, so they were obviously reading from the same script.

The next time they called, I pretended to be super interested in selling the place (and negotiated them up about $30k from where they started) and then said I too was very interested in learning to invest in real estate, and got the name of the get rich quick scheme that had clearly put my name and number on a list.

At that point (I'd wasted maybe a half hour), I told the guy that he had the wrong person, and I couldn't actually sell him poo poo, but did thank him for letting me know who to report for multiple do not call violations, and reporting the parent scam seems to have totally stopped the calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Frazzbo posted:

Nice work! Who was it?

It was something called "Lifestyles Unlimited", which seems to do the typical "free seminar on real estate investing, which is used to push $6000 memberships" thing.