Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Collateral Damage posted:

If we could just convince banks and payment processors to drop the lovely magnetic strip skimming would go away.

Or at the very least the business model would move away from cloning cards to charging NFC transactions in the lowest common amount that banks set.
Not nearly as profitable, and a lot easier to trace because they'd need a receiving account with a real financial institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

hyperhazard posted:

James Randi did a great takedown of him on the Tonight Show. They used a scanner to pick up the dialog on his earpiece.

Skip to about 2min to see this rear end in a top hat at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

Good to know that Fletch Lives was actually a documentary

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Discover is also pretty popular in parts of Eastern Europe.

Much of western Europe had already tied their card payment infrastructure to mostly Mastercard (via Maestro debit card implementations that the big banks set up national consortiums with their own branding for), but Eastern Europe was completely virgin territory when those markets opened up. So you'll see adoption rates for Discover in countries like Croatia that are super high compared to North America or Western Europe

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Red Oktober posted:

There’s another variation where women will ask a tourist if they can practice their English with them, and take them to a café, order coffees etc. while talking to them. They then leave, the bill arrives and it’s €100s again.

The correct and prudent response when a complete stranger (of the opposite sex) in a place where you've never been comes up to you and goes "Hey don't I know you?" is "No, get lost"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Professor Shark posted:

I received another text message from the number that said they found my missing ring… this time they told me they had found my dog. I played along this time and asked how I could get the dog back and they replied:

Is this some kind of two factor scam?

Or they might even be attempting to steal your actual phone number in some kind of sim swapping deal

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
It's so they can deport (and bar entry for five years) you for the crime of lying to the govt even if you haven't committed any crimes that would otherwise be actionable by or in the US

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I got an interesting new scam email yesterday.

I have an Atlassian account, and recently started getting emails to confirm my email address. Fair enough, I only have that account on that email address because I used it for Twello before it got acquired. But apparently, this was only the start of something more scammy.

Yesterday, I received an email that said

quote:

Sorry, we couldn't change your email
Hi ✅You have a new bitcoin transfer on your name Bitcoin Address Sender bc1q7*****ccg8v 📌Go to your personal account to withdraw funds script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbzuYmi3vwCgQHPGxxxxxxxvunJsgS5DnfriNI-yv6LKEwFkhC8sqqqqqqOQT12V89pA/exec ✅,
Your email change request could not be processed because xxx@gmail.com is already associated with another Atlassian account.
Log in to view your account. If you've forgotten your password you can reset it here
If you didn't request this change you can disregard this email.
Cheers,
The Atlassians

(I've broken the link and removed my actual email address, obviously)

In case it's not clear, they created an account with that whole scam intro including the link as the display name.
They then changed the email address to my email address, which they knew was active because they apparently tried logging in, triggering those account confirmation emails.
With Atlassian, the owner of an account receives an email whenever another user tries to change their own account to their email address.

So the email is legitimately from Atlassian, and is being sent for its intended purpose, making me aware that someone is trying to set their account to use my email address.

It's just that they've included a scam payload in the displayed name that the email opens with.

They should obviously not allow URLs in these names, and if they have to allow that for some reason, should prevent them from being parsed as URLs in their emails (and probably their web interface too)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've had my phone number since 2004, and I STILL sometimes get messages for someone else. And it's consistently the same person. Who must have had that phone number twenty years ago.
A few years ago it had been quiet from them for a while, and then it started up again, so I replied with "Is this bullshit starting again" and they got super mad at me lol. Nothing since then

I think whatsapp being so popular in Europe has kind of put an end to this, since there's much more to identify a number than just the number, with the photo and the name

I also know that there's two other guys with my name (first and last, ignoring any middle initials they may have) and one of them gave my name to the academic hospital where they were treating his dad, so I got a lot of sensitive information about that until I forwarded it to the university's privacy office with a brief note. Also emails about the dad selling his car, so I guess he recovered from the lung thing that I received way too much information about

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tagra posted:

I bought some junk off Amazon which, surprise, was junk and didn't work very well, so I left a 1 star review explaining why it was junk to warn others. As soon as the review was published, I got an email from the seller apologizing for the product not working as expected and offering a refund.

The email did seem legit, but I was not going to click a link offering money in an email, and I could NOT find a spot in Amazon itself offering the same option. Also I was not concerned about refunding a 10 dollar plastic piece of junk that i figured would be junk when I threw it into a cart for free shipping, honestly.

but... is it possible that there are scammers trolling 1 star reviews to send out scam links? That was my initial reaction but my review was posted anonymously so they shouldn't have gotten the email address off it (unless it's an inside job, who knows).

If it's legit I actually kinda want to bump the review up a star because the seller didn't need to apologize for their junk being junk and I appreciated it.

Yes, this is very possible. It's also possible it's legit. Sellers don't get your email address, but they CAN email you through Amazon's system. Only for service stuff, not just generally for marketing purposes.

Real sellers in China do offer refunds to get 1 star reviews removed. I've only received these refunds through Amazon (and have always left my reviews up), but these guys have every incentive to do things outside of the Amazon system, since Amazon may notice that someone receives a refund and then on the same day removes a review, and they may not want this to happen

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
A friend messaged me today about someone who DMd her on her dog's Instagram account.

The message was basically " We'd love for your dog to be a model for our dog toy brand. We'll pay you $20 per photo, plus affiliate income. Here's a $100 coupon so you can get some free stuff from our site"

She put $98 worth of stuff in her cart, and then saw a $29 quote for shipping. That's when she asked me for my read on the situation.

In case it's not obvious yet:
This was a bog standard drop shipping site, charging $30 plus shipping for something you can get on AliExpress for $7 inc shipping. So she was basically going to pay $29 for $20 worth of merchandise, and pay for it with pictures of her dog.

The website was built around the personal story of the person running the site being woken up by her own dog, living out near the Rocky Mountains.
But the company name listed in the footer was for a UK Ltd company, operated by a male underwear model (yes seriously) in London with a Nigerian name.

He's actually a pretty smart guy: by getting people to feel like they're special and given them "free" products that they pay for through the shipping charge, he's getting free photos that he can use on the site so people can't find the same products on AliExpress with a simple reverse image search. And of course he really posts the photos to Instagram, so he has a big following and he gets some juice from the algo and more prominence in the suggestions so he can hawk more of his overpriced dog toys.

Some searching also showed that he had done the exact same thing with a cat-focused website and Instagram account. Last post a year ago, the website no longer functional, and a TON of search results for " is [cat site] a scam?"

Feels like he's following a set playbook, probably something that was sold in one of those internet marketer courses.

I'm still not sure he'd pay actual money for the photos, or that he'd pay in store credit that people would then also need to spend money to ship. But I'm not curious enough to have my friend pay them any money

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Not going to link this, but you can easily find it on r/writing:

quote:

Severely Scammed regarding my books
I've written this to people way too many times but it is important that people on here especially are aware that there are some severe scams going on out there. . I was called by the editor of Simon & Schuster because they were interested in my 6 books. That was last November. I found out 3 days agoThat I have been being scammed the whole time. I thought I was talking with Rebekaha Jett who is an editor of Simon & Schuster.

The imposter claimed that she wanted to get to know me because another scamming group was trying to present my books to her but they kind of fell back and she was wondering who this Liz O'Neill with six books was. Unfortunately my pride and ego have gotten me in trouble repeatedly. I wanted to believe that she was sincere.

We carried on conversations on email and on the phone for months. She said she was rescuing my books from other scamming group I was in got in and she was needing a little money to get my books published and I was so excited that she had found my books and was rescuing them.

Well that was a scam I have so much longer of a story to tell but this is good enough to let people know, nobody is going to call you from any traditional publishing company to talk about your books.

AlsoThe latest is someone from Netflix called me and was very interested in my books and went along with the scammer from Simon & Schuster so I thought it was all real. No one from Netflix is going to call you and say they want to make your books into a movie either. All my checks went to one fellow and I was a little suspicious. His name is Jerome S. Elero.If you find it that is an address somebody wants you to be sending your check to, back out. As a perfect example of a scam this fellow must be a front line person to collect all of the scam checks or money. If anyone knows a real safe private way for us to publish our books please let us know because I am a scam magnet and some of you may be also.

A scam that only the arrogant will fall for, but it's really just the old "tech support scammers tell you you're being hacked" scam but with books.

Yes, the third largest publisher in the US, who approached you out of the blue, will definitely need you to send them a couple thousand dollars to help publish your book. And Netflix too. The time of easy credit is over, so you're going to have to advance us some cash for casting

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Please don't do this.

Or if you do, please at least don't complain when the bank closes your account and is legally obliged to not tell you why as part of their anti terror financing obligations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Barrel Cactaur posted:

A check for a million dollars is going straight to fraud and regulatory at the issuing bank, even if the account can cover it. If it's dated years in the past the issuing bank is going to bounce it on suspicion of a washed/altered check, and would almost certainly bounce it anyway because they are not going to overdraft an account by hundreds of thousands of dollars, because they would never recover that money.

But even before the fraud and compliance dept has a chance to take the easy decision to bounce the check and offboard you as a correct, the wealth management dept will contact you to pitch some stupid bullshit to invest in with your newfound wealth

(based on what I've seen some banks do with inflows from crypto)