Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MystOpportunity posted:

There's a slew of not terribly interesting ones that target tourists (ring scam, shoe shine scam), but most of it comes down to: a) don't ever let anyone put something in your hand you didn't ask for b) don't accept anything for free.

Especially little loving herb sprigs! Is that a uniquely Spanish scam, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Lucky you for only having charity muggers that target tourists.

I suppose it's not quite a scam if they're actually associated with a charity, but they can still all go gently caress themselves for bothering me as I'm trying to go about my business all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

One day I was feeling extra generous and some lady came up to me in a Kroger parking lot asking for money for her infant son who had nothing to eat. I went to the ATM in the store to pull out a $20 for them. When I came back out, she was waiting for me... with her family... in their Lexus... with the infant son in the backseat, bottle already full, happily drinking away. "I promise I'll pay you back, look, you can call me on my phone to prove this is my number!" (as she holds up her new iPhone)

They did not get my $20.

I was so disgusted by that one that I've since stopped giving money to strangers completely.

I've had the "oh I just need $X to get a bus ticket to see my sick daughter" scam too. If you're going to keep working that scam in the same area, you better do a better job of remembering who already gave you money a few weeks ago, you loving lying piece of poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

peanut posted:

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas I gotta get myself away from this place. I said yep, what a concept, I could use some fuel myself and we could all use a little change.

Another scam: not eating the eggs. You should be familiar with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the first robocall i ever got on my cell phone was for a "free cruise". it was also one of those robocalls that was intelligent enough to wait for the beep on your voicemail, so every month or so i'd get another call from the same number and i'd hit play and hear the same *hoooooonk* of a big ship's airhorn. i kinda miss it. i hope that airhorn is still doing ok :ohdear:

"THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING!"

No, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, robocalling assholes! I was getting one or two a day at one point.

Who actually falls for that poo poo anyway?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

de la peche posted:

On the flip side of this, my partner works for a charity, and earns a decent amount - because otherwise she'd take her skills elsewhere. You want good high-level employees so your charity will be successful? You've got to have a competitive salary. I knows there's loads of dodgy salaries in charity land, but sometimes (not all the time), they're needed to pull in talent.

If they're spending 97% on salaries and personal expenses, they aren't running the charity well because they're not doing enough to take in more money, ergo they cannot justify so large a salary.

I do agree, though, that people should be more aware that charities have a right and even an obligation to pay their employees properly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A Fish Called Wanda, if you don't mind a heavy dose of comedy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why do I keep getting calls from the same goddamn lovely telemarketing company after I've told them I'm not going to respond twice, and then I told them to gently caress off on their third call? Surely it can't be a good use of time to harass someone who's showed less than no interest in buying your bullshit.

It's always web marketing nonsense too...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

reformed bad troll posted:

If someone is a dick and asks to have their number removed, said number will not be removed out of spite.

Call centre 101 bro

I was polite the first two times. The first time I let him actually do his script, and then told him that I don't accept telephone solicitations or surveys as a policy. The second time I cut him off right away by telling him I didn't want him to waste any time since I don't accept telephone solicitations or surveys, and the third time I told him to gently caress off.

Is there a way to actually get your number successfully removed from the list?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

many johnnys posted:

I think you have to tell them not to call you anymore, and to request to be taken off their list or out of their database. Something that can't be interpreted in any way as "I'm not interested" and can only be interpreted as "I no longer wish to receive calls from you, ever".

If you can prove that you've done this and they continue to harass you, there can be legal consequences so they typically stop, although there can be a delay between when you request this and when they actually do it. It also depends on who they're calling on behalf of - overseas scammers don't give a gently caress.

I looked up the phone number and it turns out it's an American guy/company targeting Canadian numbers specifically so he can't be pursued by either country. Apparently it's also a complete scam for CC info, not just the garden-variety SEO bullshit scam.

Would anyone really be dumb enough to give their CC info to someone who cold-calls them?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

greazeball posted:

There should be fake credit card numbers you can give to scammers that secretly notify the police when they're used.

I was actually thinking about this, or (even better) a rotating series of phone numbers you can give scammers to "call you back" that lead directly to MasterCard or Visa, where an actor will complete the scam and get all the necessary details to prosecute the offender.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

How much money could you realistically make off young mope soldiers and slightly older mope soldiers?

Rare medals and poo poo, I gather. Unethical but still pretty cool.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the only way to deal with it. They say something provocative in order to get you to respond, and then they're in control. Just walk away.

At least with the rose/herb scam in Europe, you can always count on the local population to back you up against the gypsy no matter what :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cumshitter posted:

I got lured into this myself. As soon as you walked up they'd have either some older dude or an elderly lady still feeling guilty about the abortion she had 40 years ago swoop in and start lecturing you on the evils of abortion.

The variant they ran here included children. I kept coming by and yelling at them and calling them a bunch of miserable loving cunts. Security was there, but they seemed content to allow me my free speech in the face of the many pictures of stillborn babies and comparisons to Nazi Germany :v:

The last time it happened, it was at a really bad time because I had literally learned a day earlier that a friend of mine had died in a plane crash, so I came unglued on them and told them if they thought a fetus was equivalent to an actual human life, I hoped they died a miserable and lingering death.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that Europe treats gypsies like poo poo. At this point, gypsies running scams is sort of a chicken and egg thing; no one will hire them because they have a rep for being scammers, so they scam to get by, etc etc.

Indeed. The level of prejudice against Roma people is horrible, but on the other hand I'm not going to feel bad for the few individuals who have actively tried to scam me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Government are well known for wanting taxes paid in iTunes gift cards, too :downs:

Jesus loving Christ...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you're dumb enough to actually believe the government would allow information on how to actually beat it in any meaningful sense of the word to be promulgated widely, you deserve to lose your money. Same thing if you spend money on Sovereign Citizen nonsense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

many johnnys posted:

I used to use those guys. Taxes are scary, until you actually do them. They've been built up as this huge complicated thing that you'd better not gently caress up or else you'll go to prison for tax evasion!!

Then you find a website that walks you through it for free.

In Canada, you can call up the equivalent of the IRS (the Canada Revenue Agency) and they'll pretty much answer any questions you have on the phone. I'm sure they'd pretty much walk you through the whole thing if you needed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SystemLogoff posted:

You can also import all of your tax information direct from revenue Canada. In most cases this will auto fill all of your tax information.

In many cases it will not. For example, any kind of corporate tax return or any personal tax return where you don't derive your income from a standard salary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mostlygray posted:

That is a huge scam. Most people I know are terrified of doing their own taxes because they think they'll go to jail. I hate seeing the ads at tax time.

Most people can file an EZ in 5 minutes and they're done. If you actively lie on your taxes, that's criminal. If you made a mistake, all you need to do is file an amended return and pay any interest and penalty. Interest and Penalty is nothing; they are tiny amounts. Those ads are targeting people who don't have complicated finances. The provider knows that they can do their taxes for them in just a few minutes and rake in the coin with no real work.

Also, "I goofed" is considered an acceptable response to the IRS. They don't want to make a fuss. They only want to fix it and move on. If you get weird with them, then they bring down the hammer. I've been through many audits with companies I worked for, and they are basically a non-issue. All you need to do is shut-up, and provide your backup data.

This is another thing that a lot of people forget. For the most part, tax authorities just want their money. They will help you in order to accomplish this task, and they will forgive you if you make a mistake. If, however, you hide money which is rightfully theirs from them on purpose, they will be very angry with you and make your life a living hell.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Another thing like this is when there's a website that has an article I need for something, but they hide it behind a free account login. So I fill out all the account information with fake stuff; like, I'm sure there are quite a few Lutha Mahtin accounts here and there around the web that were logged into exactly once, and then were logged out a few minutes later. The problem is when you have another instance where that site has some page you want to see, and you try and sign up again only to see "that email address is already in use". Then I go to the password recovery system and it asks me "what's your birthdate"? Oh, looks like I must have just picked a random birthdate when I signed up the first time. Looks like the person who got scammed this time....is me :shepface:

That's why you pick a consistent fake birthday, obviously!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Read this yesterday... still seems a bit odd regardless of what the author says. Either way it's interesting to read 'I'm aware of the scams and I went along with it anyway' and I'm sure plenty of people will now read this and fall for scams themselves.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160601-the-moroccan-scam-that-wasnt

I've been through similar things in a few different countries (although never invited to a wedding, usually just for dinner or drinks or something) and I've never been scammed*. In fact, sometimes I've felt bad because people have bought me drinks or dinner and I haven't had the chance to reciprocate properly.

Most people really aren't out to get you, no matter where you are in the world.

* EDIT: Not true, I did get scammed one time based of a "come have a drink in this bar" and you get the tourist menu with insane prices. That was the worst of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

many johnnys posted:

If you go to a scam bar, is it possible to go out for a smoke and then just never come back in?

I don't know how bars work across the pond.

This was in Cuba, so I didn't want to gently caress around too much (and it cost me $6 extra or so, which is not an amount I'm prepared to get pissed off over, when you get right down to it, even though it was about four times what I should've paid). Arguably it wasn't a "scam" so much as a hustle. I got the drink I ordered (after being convinced to order that specific drink), and I paid the price that was on the menu.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

:wtc:

This is not how ATMs work. If you put in the wrong PIN it says "Hey, wrong PIN" and gives you back your card and tells you to try again.

After enough wrong PINs it will make you reset your pin with the bank, at least in Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I talk to strangers on the street all the time. You know the "don't talk to strangers" things only apply when you're a kid, right?

*is literally afraid of strangers*

"Why can't I meet anyone? I'm so lonely!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, I know them from poo poo anyway.

gently caress you, I wanted to make that joke! :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

grack posted:

I photographed jewelry professionally for a number of years. It's happy face. If you look at watch photographs sometimes when a watch is presented at an angle instead of straight on the hands will be moved so they still have the same spacing and location.

Do you know offhand why they choose 10:10 instead of 1:50? (i.e. reversing the position of the hour and minute hand)?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

peanut posted:

I've heard of taxi or restaurant scams where the customer leaves their wallet or phone as collateral while they "go to an atm." The staff realize it's an empty wallet or plastic display phone when the customer never comes back.

There have also been COD package deliveries full of rocks :japan:

What really burns my rear end about this is it fucks over every person who legitimately made a mistake and doesn't have cash. On the other hand, it should only be an issue in cabs/restaurants where they can't run a card, which has to be less than 2% at this point -- even the last holdouts I knew have gone over to debit/credit now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

It's still a problem if they have credit card facilities and you leave your card at home like a doofus. I left my entire wallet at home and then filled up my car at the petrol station. I had to walk in and tell them I have no money and I can only offer a business card or maybe a shoe as ID or collateral.

Why would they be concerned? They have you on video in all likelihood, as well as your car and license plate. Stealing gas would be the dumbest thing ever, because you will always get caught.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. When I did building work a guy I worked with said "A nut and bolt and sell for $1 as a building item, repackaged as a car part it sells for $2, repackaged as a boat part it sells for $3."

Repackaged as a plane part, it sells for $10 (if you're lucky!)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, in that case it's the other way around. Marine parts have to be produced to stand up to being in and around water constantly without rusting away, so they're generally made with more zinc. But it's a difference of, like, a few cents either way, so if you produce a billion marine nuts and bolts and can only sell a few million, you just repackage them as normal ones, sell them at the market rate for a normal nut and bolt, and take in a slightly smaller profit. Aircraft parts are a whole different monkey because they're built as lightweight as possible, with lots of aluminum.

And there's the parts tracking, and liability considerations. It's not really a scam, it's just surprising that so small and seemingly simple a thing can become so expensive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

Vancouver BC used to have the drinking age as 19 (still is, but apparently they won't serve USA citizens under 21 anymore)

That's not a law, that's a clever venue-by-venue policy because young Americans can't hold their liquor and always act like loving fools as soon as they can drink legally in a bar.

Spring Break in Montreal was always really, really dreadful...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've been getting a lot of "FedEx" emails saying that my parcel could not be delivered and would I please open this ZIP that has all the shipping details?

Who the gently caress falls for that poo poo?

I also got a text message telling me my CIBC bank account had suspicious activity on it, and I should go to a dubious-looking .co.uk link to "fix" it. I don't have an account with CIBC and one of the C's stands for "Canadian." How the gently caress do people fall for this garbage?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

many johnnys posted:

I dunno if the UK is like Canada, but I have never received anything from any tax authority ever that wasn't through the actual mail. With a return address that is a real tax office.

I got a phone call once in Canada. I had misdated something on the return and they wanted to verify that they should correct it for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know what "technology" classes are like in school these days but if they're like mine were, maybe they ought to focus less on Microsoft Word and touch typing, and more on how not to get your (and your employer's) poo poo pushed in by obvious scams.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

You get property through an inheritance or you have enough money to buy something outright are two off the top of my head.

Something at this price isn't something I'd go through a bank to pay for
http://www.homes.com/property/7116-horseshoe-bend-trail-weatherford-tx-76087/id-500025958921/

Yeah, but the person who'd buy that place very well might have to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All online reviews of anything are lovely. I've been to awful places with great reviews, and I've been to amazing places with lovely reviews. You might as well just ask a loving Ouija board what's going to be any good, except when it tells you something is good it probably won't be overrun by knobs, which is more than can be said about loving TripAdvisor or Yelp.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

At this part the problem seems to be easy access to VoIP. All the calls I get have obviously spoofed info since there's no way I'd get this many calls from real phones with the same area code and first three digits as me.

Yeah, and there's also the issue that making phone service widely available, easy and cheap is a pretty good thing in most respects. It's nice to have providers like Twilio so you can do things that require text or voice capability without too much cost or hassle. The problem, as always, is when people abuse a good system. I don't know there's any good way to combat that.

One interesting thing, however, is that (unless something has changed recently) there's no way to spoof a number for SMS. You can't even "send as" a certain verified number that you own, if you're not actually using that number. If this were the case for voice calls, I think it would solve a lot of problems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's something people have been complaining about for decades; you have to pay monthly to get 300 channels when you only want like 2 of them. If you want special things (sports, HBO, premium movie channels, etc.) you probably end up buying a package. Chances are you just plain can't subscribe to only one channel even though that's all you want. Chances are you also only want to watch a few specific things on that channel. This is why people have been switching to DVDs or NetFlix; why bother with a cable subscription when it's cheaper to just buy that poo poo on DVD or on the interblag when it comes out instead?

Sports is probably the nastiest for that but that was touched on; if you only want to watch one team in one sport you end up paying for a bunch of poo poo you will never, ever watch on top of 300 other channels you will never, ever watch. It's a major scam because it's ultimately a huge monopoly. There are agreements that only one channel will be allowed to show some flavor of sporty thing so you just have to eat poo poo if that's what the cable company decides to make you do. Good loving luck getting only the channel that has what you want to watch; they're going to force you to pay for basic cable to get it in the first place then probably package it with a bunch of other crap you don't need just to watch your favorite team throw a ball around. It's bullshit.

Then again so is sports these days; the prices of tickets are bug gently caress crazy and the people that own the leagues and teams are doing whatever they can to squeeze every last dime out of it.

What they've done here is make sports channels available individually, as they're now required to do, but they're so expensive that you might as well just pay another $2/month and get the full package with some other poo poo.

I have a bigger issue with the fact that I need to buy two separate packages to get CBC Newsworld and BBC World at the same time from my current provider, yet somehow I have Fox News for free. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

McPhock posted:

I loving hate robocalls as much as the next guy, but I do kinda miss the "HOOOOOOOOOOONK this is your captain speaking" shenanigans about winning a free cruise. Made me laugh every time

Wait, that wasn't just a Canadian thing?