Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All the robocalls I've gotten for a while now leave voicemails that start mid sentence because the scammer didn't program it to wait for the beep. I can't even tell what the angle is from what gets captured.

The ones I get usually sound like:

".......audulent charge on your cre—Message Deleted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Hell yeah. You're the one bothering me so you should be the one to let me know who you are and why you're bothering me. If you can't do me that courtesy then you're not getting anything out of me. Sorry Red Cross person but that means you're not getting my blood until you learn how to have a better opener.

We had someone knock on our door at 8:30PM one night. Normally we would ignore it, but there were wildfires nearby and we thought no one would knock this late unless it was something pretty important?

It was a guy claiming to be from Red Cross, opening with a line about how the wildfires are costing a lot of money and they really need donations. He was using super pushy high pressure sales tactics and was generally acting a bit weird, to the point where my husband asked him to leave and then did a patrol of the property and vehicles to make sure there was nothing tempting that could have been baiting someone into casing us. Their support page had a whole section on fake Red Cross workers so I reported it.

They responded back the next day with a message saying (this is a direct paste, no editing):

quote:

Thank you for your email regarding door to door fundraising in [CITY/PROVINCE]. Red Cross Fundraisers knock on doors all over Canada to recruit new monthly donors and I can confirm that we have been in your area. This kind of fundraising allows the Red Cross to reach more people than ones reached through classic appeals.

I really felt their concern. Also I lost a lot of respect for Red Cross that day...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Yes
Oh, no
:)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

for whatever the gently caress reason, it could only be bought through Mercury USA, and not Canada. Shipped by Fedex.
The website said something like "international orders might be subject to additional fees for customs duties, brokerage etc etc.".

Brokerage from US to Canada is one of the biggest scams there is :argh:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Legitimate email also looks suspicious a lot of the time too. Countless times in my office we have people reporting legit email as suspicious and to be fair to them, most of them totally do. We have to send emails sometimes that say 'hey this email you're about to get is real please don't mark it as phishing'.

ugh my workplace does a lot of anti-phishing stuff, and then they rolled out a new platform for submitting vacation requests and the loving URL is an external site with our acronym but one letter different (basically there's an 'of', and the "o" got added to the acronym). And it's absolutely legit and they are absolutely training everyone to click on it and go there.

I sent a super bitchy message to the IT security team and got a message back from the CIO thanking me, saying something like "We weren't happy about it either but we can't do anything about it unless employees like you help us."

Bitch, this is your entire job. What do you mean you can't do anything about it unless we complain??? :wtc:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I checked my spam folder in gmail and since Dec 1st it is seriously ~90% "package pending for delivery" scam emails. All the hörrny womeen who typically email must have found the lǔv they were looking for, truly a holiday miracle!

My gmail spam has been full of package deliveries for months, but my work email spam is still awash with horny Ukrainian women in my area. And also LOTS of businesses that want to either redo the business website or boost our Google ranking.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I bought some junk off Amazon which, surprise, was junk and didn't work very well, so I left a 1 star review explaining why it was junk to warn others. As soon as the review was published, I got an email from the seller apologizing for the product not working as expected and offering a refund.

The email did seem legit, but I was not going to click a link offering money in an email, and I could NOT find a spot in Amazon itself offering the same option. Also I was not concerned about refunding a 10 dollar plastic piece of junk that i figured would be junk when I threw it into a cart for free shipping, honestly.

but... is it possible that there are scammers trolling 1 star reviews to send out scam links? That was my initial reaction but my review was posted anonymously so they shouldn't have gotten the email address off it (unless it's an inside job, who knows).

If it's legit I actually kinda want to bump the review up a star because the seller didn't need to apologize for their junk being junk and I appreciated it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

My sister in law’s sister in law had a weird thing happen to her this holiday season: she bought someone a $200 giftcard, but when the person uploaded it to an account the balance read as $15.xx. The package the card came in was sealed, how did the scam work?

Gift card scams are really prevalent this year. I think most of them involve shoplifting the cards, steaming the packages open and recording the information, and then re-sealing and reverse-shoplifting them back onto the shelves. The scammer's system keeps pinging the card and as soon as it's activated at a register it cashes in.

There have been reports of cards with some of the numbers scratched off so that the scammer has more time to cash in before it's redeemed by the purchaser.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

It wouldn't catch everything, but I don't see why they couldn't flag any card that gets pinged before it is purchased as no good and the cashier should throw it away and use another one.

That's the thing—it is good. The register activates it, and if the purchaser redeemed in that very second they would be good to go. But most cards get carried home or given to someone days later and by then the scam bot has cashed it in.

that's why some thieves will scratch off some of the numbers: so that the bot has more time to cycle through numbers looking for recently activated ones. The register scans the barcode or whatever on the outside, activating the card inside, but the numbers inside are obscured until the package is opened and the purchaser discovers some of them are scratched off. Then the purchaser calls customer support to complain that the numbers are missing but the money is long gone. The card itself was still valid, but the only person who knew the full card number was the thief who steamed it open and took the numbers off. But the call to customer support delays it long enough that they can cash in before the actual purchaser.

[edit] You'd think the card companies could track how many times a non-activated card number is pinged and invalidate them or something though. They must see the traffic?

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 30, 2023

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I got a text last night from "nudetv75@gmail.com" saying they want to transfer money to me. Definitely clicking this link! Cha-ching, motherfuckers :smug:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Are green card scams still common? We've got a friend who went to visit a girl in the Philippines. We thought he might be getting romance scammed but he said it's a relative of one of his coworkers, and he came back unscathed and not drained of all funds (that we know of...). But then he dropped that she had tried to visit him but couldn't get a Visa approved, so the only way to come visit would be to be engaged to him...

:thunk:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

o no my subscreption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

To be fair, the publishing industry as a whole is basically a scam :v:

But yeah, if you haven't even attempted to run the gauntlet of getting your manuscripts noticed in the pile of absolute dogshit, which is now a slush pile of that is saturated with AI-written hollow drek on top of everything, Netflix isn't going to randomly contact you and offer to make a movie of your work for a fee.