Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MANime in the sheets posted:

I've gotten 5 today, which is usually more than I get a week, so it's not just you.

Weird, I got 5-6 on the 25th too, wonder what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Having your email address for 20+ years guarantees you're going to show up on this list a few times. I even got an email the other day saying that I was in trouble and showing a plain text password. Given that I have used the same password manager for at least 10 years it was very easy to see exactly what site spilled my details - thanks 000webhost for what ever stupid project I set up on you years ago - and just laugh knowing that they had nothing on me.

Yeah, I cracked the gently caress up at the "Russian hackers" and their hacked your webcam "captured you in your onanism" emails. Cool, you've got a throwaway randomly generated password from some garbage forum I used once 8 years ago :jerkbag:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

a full toner cartridge would last the better part of a decade.

That made me curious so I went and checked.

Yep.

Current toner is from 2/09 and still going strong. :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Odds are that tactic scares more than a few suckers into paying up.

Odds are most people use that same password for literally everything in their entire lives and have been doing so for years.

People are dumb.

e: though, granted, if you were doing that your everything has probably already been compromised so the "videos of your onanism" are the least of your worries.

I was getting like 10+ of these a day at one point, apparently back in the day I was on a LOT of sites that have now old unpatched VBulletin boards. :shobon:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 3, 2020

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/05/ai-voice-scam/

What do you think, is this real or just effective clickbait? It’s odd that the examples are all Canadian for an article in the Washington post.

I'd imagine a decent number of scammers aren't native English speakers, so an AI voicebot might be more effective in that case?

Might be useful in the take a celebrity voice and use that to scam "donations" sense...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just a blanket statement:

If anything anywhere ever sends you a code never provide that code to anyone.

You, actively, knowingly, intentionally logging in to or setting up a service you personally already know of or are a member of is the only reason to receive those codes, and they should only ever be entered into the site you're logging in to, not a site that anyone you don't trust (including email) linked you to.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

How on earth is "I wouldn't empty my bank account into a shoe box and hand it to someone" and "if I thought an LEO was investigating me for a crime, I'd immediately get a lawyer" indicative of an excessive or insatiable desire for wealth? I certainly like having my money, but I don't think 'I don't want to put my savings in a shoe box and give it to someone' is excessively greedy, and 'get a lawyer if the police are questioning you' comes from a desire to not end up in prison, which isn't usually considered 'avarice'.

The idea that scams are magical things you can't use situational awareness on is strange but I can at least get where it's coming from, but the idea that being aware of scams indicates that you're greedy is just bizarre.

I'm pretty sure they meant hubris.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

I got my big fancy words mixed up, whatever. Way to drill on that instead of the broad statement of just be humble and watch for scams.

I think it's more that "avarice" makes enough sense to come off as a really weird take that can be addressed as opposed to "oh they used the wrong word."

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's not like it's just an Apple thing, most cell carriers have that functionality via their own email format schemes. Verizon is <phone number>@vtext.com etc.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

It's been down all day now, 8+ hours?

Did someone update the DNS again?

That last time it was BGP which is like DNS but even worse. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For months I'd get a notification every couple weeks about someone wanting to share a PDF with me on google docs. I have no idea if Google plugged that hole or the guy running that scam got hit by a train. Maybe both. Hopefully both.

Randos can still share docs with you, and I get one every so often, but Google has at least gotten good at deleting the mass spam ones immediately. Every time I go to see what kind of BS it is it's already gone within seconds of receiving the notification :shrug: