Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

The Pirate Captain posted:

Please be organ donors, it is not a scam. My father's life was saved (as are thousands of other peoples' every year) because a kind woman donated her organs after she died in a car accident.

This. Please donate organs. A friend of mine had a life saving heart transplant made possible because someone made the choice to donate their organs upon death.

My brother committed suicide and it has given our family a lot of comfort knowing that his organs were used to help save or improve the quality of life for over a dozen people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Tubgoat posted:

The used video game store, Games and Go, is a loving scam. Motherfuckers offered me $2 for Duck Tales 2 (NES, original non-repro, no box, no manual). Said they'd probably resell it for $10, maybe less. I called a reputable game store and inquired about its approximate value.
"...we can't give you a quote over the phone, but the owner will be in the store tomorrow morning to afternoon."
"Is the reason you can't give me a quote because it's a much higher figure than $2 and you don't want me getting upset later if it turns out you can't offer quite as much as originally quoted?"
"That is correct."
loving gently caress Games and Go, motherfuckers looted what remaines of my mate's video game shop after his literally good-for-nothing brother embezzled it, and the motherfuckers are still at it.

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.

I've been there before 4 or 5 years ago. They had a small bin full of lovely cartridge based games that you could rummage through. I found a Link's Awakening cartridge that was obviously mispriced at $2.99. When I went to pay for it the guy at the counter tried to tell me that it was actually more expensive than that and when I told him that no, it's clearly priced at $2.99, he begrudgingly sold it to me, saying something along the lines of "you should be grateful you got such a good deal". I still have it and I don't even have a Gameboy.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

I'd sell it to someone who'd give me a better price, tbqh. "Price sticker = price" is also my understanding, as long as it wasn't you or a party member angling for a Gutenberg Discount.

It was a sticker on the back that said "$2.99".

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Nm, beaten badly.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Postal reminder: in order to avoid your package being put on hold, please ad the delivery address in time. Clearly.not.a.usps.or.other.delivery.service.URL"

Gotta love those totally legitimate texts!

Got an email last week from “USPS” saying “Complete Registration Form Asap to Receive Your Package!”with a shady massively long link. USPS basically holding a package hostage until I register with them. No thanks!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

gmail's spam detection has also just been poo poo lately and has let though more than a few very obvious scam emails

Good thing for me because Warren Buffet himself got through the other day letting me know he’s randomly picked my email and that I need to respond in order to collect $15m. What a guy!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

About a 1-2 times a month for the last 4 months or so I’ve been getting calls from Beijing, Shangai, and “China Mainland”. I didn’t pick up for any. Once I got a voice mail from a woman speaking Chinese but I had no idea what was said so I deleted it. The voice to text was in Chinese except the words “China Customs Agency” or something similar. At that point I hadn’t bought anything from a Chinese seller in like a year, so I just assumed it’s a scam fishing for someone who buys or bought from China recently, but that doesn’t explain why the call wasn’t in English. Anyone come across this?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

ponzicar posted:

They're scammers trying to trick Chinese immigrants. Maybe your area code has a large immigrant community in it, or they may just be trying random numbers. A recent immigrant is probably going to be less savvy to how things are done in their new country, and receiving a call from a stranger speaking their native language would probably make them put their guard down.

That makes sense. I’m in a large metropolitan area with a considerably sized Asian and East African immigrant population.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Brave browser on iOS and windows has never showed a YouTube ad for me. I cannot wrap my head around people who put up with YouTube ads.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Checked the link posted in the article and I’m ecstatic to find out the excellent condition
1953A $2 bill I received as a tip from a customer a few years ago is now worth between $2.25-$5! In all seriousness it was in such great shape I thought it was fake at first. Looks and feels like it came right out of the mint.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

I’m also getting a handful of calls a day for the last couple weeks now. Some spoof my city but most spoof my hometown which is an hour away and I haven’t lived there for over 20 years . Sometimes it shows one of the smaller towns around it. Don’t quite know what to make of that sort of specificity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure what's going on, but the amount of phishing bullshit and what not I've been getting lately has really increased.

poo poo is a god damned arms race, I loving swear.

I’ve gotten a Microsoft account password reset request every single day for the last 2 months or so. Got the Facebook one a couple times but those I did appreciate because it reminded me to just delete my deactivated account.