Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

I like films, and you might like them too. What new (or new-to-you) movies have you seen recently, byob? Review and chat about films here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I'll get us started by cross-posting myself from Cinema Discusso about a good movie i saw this weekend about chopping wood, called The Witch or The Vvitch:

So who remembers during the Nathaniel Hawthorne unit of high school english class, learning about how in puritan times "the woods" were a symbol of the spooky unknown? That is this film in a nutshell, and it's good.

To summarize the setup: a family is exiled from a puritan New England settlement and starts a homestead on the edge of :spooky:the forest:spooky:. The dad chops wood. A lot of it. They notice that every time they or the camera look at the edge of the dark forest nearby, creepy ambient music plays. Then their baby disappears, and the family starts to freak out. There's also a black goat - that's probably no big deal though, right?

First of all, it's an excellent, beautifully shot period piece of a 1600s New England puritan homestead. The dialogue was period-accurate which pleased me a lot but I could see it annoying some (subtitles wouldn't be a terrible idea). The way the house, barn, and fences were all built, the costume, the food they ate, the wood chopping... I'm not an expert in 1600s New England but there was enough attention to detail that I assume they did their research. Either way I found it very convincing.

Second, and obviously the point of the film, is that it's a great ambient horror piece. Not a ton actually happens, but there is a terrific sense of evil the whole time. Much like the family in the film, as an audience I found myself constantly on-edge and scared but not sure what I was afraid of. The times when there is actual action, it is realistic in a way that made me squirm and cringe a little. When there is an actual witchly ritual, holy poo poo is it disconcerting.

Cinematography note: the lighting and color balance stood out to me as particularly good. After the film, someone told me that apparently they used natural light to the maximum extent possible, which I think added a lot to the... primitive, squalid, inglamorous feel of the family's life.

The soundtrack contributed a lot to the ambient horror. It was a mix of scratchy creepy strings, and discordant stuff that reminded me of Ligeti (the guy who wrote the creepy choir stuff from 2001).

Oh also it has the breastfeeding lady from Game of Thrones.

Anyway it was the best horror film I've seen since It Follows. I give it 8/10, with 10/10 for the wood chopping scenes. Please discuss.

ty manifisto

Salmiakki

i just got done watching the original scarface. its a lot different from the 83 version [less gore, the protagonist isnt as sympathetic] but i enjoyed it a lot

the X motif used in it is great. for those who dont know, every time a character is destined to die an X is shown on the screen

the first scene has a fairly long tracking shot which is impressive for the time considering that the film was made in the thirties

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I just watched Turbo Kid. I kinda don't want to spoil it too much.
It is a super fun post apocolypic movie that is totally 80's. It follows an orphan just trying to get by. Also everyone has rad BMX bikes. And there is a villian and his sidekick is named skeletor.

The heros best friend is named Apple and her weapon is a yard gmone taped to a stick.
It's super super gory, but it's like really he just exploded huh?
The colors are bright and happy.

mad max on a bmx indeed

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2016

deep dish peat moss

ChairmanMeow posted:

I just watched Turbo Kid. I kinda don't want to spoil it too much.
It is a super fun post apocolypic movie that is totally 80's. It follows an orphan just trying to get by. Also everyone has rad BMX bikes. And there is a villian and his sidekick is named skeletor.

The heros best friend is named Apple and her weapon is a yard gmone taped to a stick.
It's super super gory, but it's like really he just exploded huh?
The colors are bright and happy.

The gore caught me really off guard in this movie but I liked it.

Young Ones was cool as hell I thought but it got bad reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9_tU5PbGs

It hits home on one of my favorite genres (sci-fi western) so maybe I was a little biased but this was one of my favorite movies in recent years. It follows the downfall of a family who owns a farm on post-water Earth. It has robots, post-apocalyptic cities and cool freakin' technology. YOu'll probably like it more if you're a fan of (or have seen) classic westerns because it imitates their style accurately.

One of the centerpieces of the story is a quadrupedal workhorse robot that the family buys early on, and it's played by a real robot.

alnilam

Salmiakki posted:

i just got done watching the original scarface. its a lot different from the 83 version [less gore, the protagonist isnt as sympathetic] but i enjoyed it a lot

the X motif used in it is great. for those who dont know, every time a character is destined to die an X is shown on the screen

the first scene has a fairly long tracking shot which is impressive for the time considering that the film was made in the thirties

It's sort of unofficially about Capone, right? That X idea seems really neat, like super blatant foreshadowing

Salmiakki

alnilam posted:

It's sort of unofficially about Capone, right? That X idea seems really neat, like super blatant foreshadowing

yeah its based on his life, theres a reference to the st valentines day massacre for example

the remake has hardly anything to do with al capone they just wanted to make a modern version of the film

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I saw Deadpool last night. I won't say anything about it other than if you're not easily offended by language or gore go see it and laugh most of your least necessary body parts off all up and down the aisles like I did.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Scaly Haylie

hey did anyone see the good dinosaur? it kinda dropped off the radar, i'm worried

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm trying to play more ragtime music so I bought a somewhat rare VHS video recording of the live show by Max Morath called Living a Ragtime Life.

Max is a singer/pianist who put on a great comedic show covering many of the most famous American ragtime songs. In additional to his critically acclaimed show, which began off-broadway and toured the country from about the 1970s to the early 2000s, continually switching up the music, Max was also active in radio and television. (Of course, the ragtime songs themselves were written much earlier, from about 1900 to 1910.)

I found myself really enjoying Max's humor, almost as much as his musicianship. I mean, ragtime is fairly kitschy, but it's entertaining kitsch; and in spite of everything, Max manages to be quite thoughtful at times.

Maybe someday I'll find out how to rip the vhs to a digital copy so I can share it with the world on youtube. There's already a sound recording of a different live show by him on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com//playlist?list=PLF8BqMZ6BB8VzXCvgdJfAXSgdMHBtocyQ.

However, my vhs has almost entirely different music, as well as the complete patter between songs, so it would be something valuable to preserve and distribute, I think. I'll try to contact Max in retirement and see if he thinks it's okay.

Score:
For an average person: 6/10
For a musician or a person appreciative of Max's humor: 8/10
For a person like me who wants to play ragtime music: 10/10

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 21, 2016

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Lizard Wizard posted:

hey did anyone see the good dinosaur? it kinda dropped off the radar, i'm worried

:/

ChairmanMeow

Splatmaster posted:

I saw Deadpool last night. I won't say anything about it other than if you're not easily offended by language or gore go see it and laugh most of your least necessary body parts off all up and down the aisles like I did.

I might go this week. looks like a good time.
going to watch witch today if it's on netflix, maybe young ones just to see the robot.

bacalou

just rewatched harmony korine's kids last night and now i don't find anything sexy

City of Glompton

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time ever last weekend, and it was terribly terribly sad. I'm not much of a movie fan I guess. I

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Piso Mojado

Lizard Wizard posted:

i took my nephew to see it on his bday. I dont really care for pixar stuff, but i thought it was tolerable and he liked it a lot.

Scaly Haylie

what?

Macnult

I went out and saw The Revenant last night. The film is pretty intense and gritty but the cinematography is amazing. It almost felt like I was there with Leonardo DiCaprio himself as he was getting mauled by a grizzly bear.

Robot Made of Meat

I'm not usually very interested in new movies, so I seldom see any.

I've recently started watching a series of movies from the '30s/'40s which I had somehow never seen before: The Thin Man series. Fun mysteries that involve a rich couple who drink a lot. Good fun.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Scaly Haylie

wow, deadpool was actually good.

deep dish peat moss

I don't like Superhero movies, and that applied to Deadpool too, but it was the only one I've seen that I'd be okay with seeing again.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Please stop saying the D word

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Topical: what is better, the Nina Simone documentary or the Amy winehouse documentary?

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I recently watched Star Wars: A New Hope. I found it slow-paced and expositional. It seemed to treat itself as a comedy, but without finding any real comic edge. The best part of the movie was when the old man went "OOOOIIIEEE" and it scared away all the sand people.

Mexican Deathgasm

I recently watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch for the millionth time. It is my go-to date movie. It's charming, funny, weird and touching.

Jellidelic

saw from dusk til dawn for the first time.
went in not knowing what it was about really, just a movie i've heard about a lot and thought i should check out when i saw it on netflix

then what ended up happening partway through really caught me off guard.

ChairmanMeow

Jellidelic posted:

saw from dusk til dawn for the first time.
went in not knowing what it was about really, just a movie i've heard about a lot and thought i should check out when i saw it on netflix

then what ended up happening partway through really caught me off guard.

I wish everyone could go into this cold. I did also and loved it.
penis gun

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
Kingsman, and it was very self aware. I enjoyed it.

b h m

The First 1/3 of "Straight Outta Compton" on DVD

dr dre looked nothing like dr dre. i saw the conflict around eazy e making all the money coming from a mile away. ice cube is cool as gently caress and i want him to be my friend IRL. mc ren is also in this movie. i turned it off after they threw felicia out of the hotel room.

i give this movie :420::420::420:/:420::420::420::420::420:

bacalou

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I recently watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch for the millionth time. It is my go-to date movie. It's charming, funny, weird and touching.

you should have a bone buds tag

Mexican Deathgasm

bacalou posted:

you should have a bone buds tag

i'd like to but i can't figure out how to get a second image in my avatar/title. i guess mods have to do it or something.

b h m

see where you put that quote in your avvie? thats where you drop a link to an image, the image has to be on something awful servers for it to work, but someone bought bonebuds as an avatar so it works fine... that reminds me of something

Mexican Deathgasm

b h m posted:

see where you put that quote in your avvie? thats where you drop a link to an image, the image has to be on something awful servers for it to work, but someone bought bonebuds as an avatar so it works fine... that reminds me of something

great thanks

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I watched "Press to Open Door" which is a Slovenian indie movie about a man who loses his job and starts to live in an elevator in an office building. It was good. I can give more details if anyone would like.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Matoi Ryuko

Looks good!

Jukeboxblues

I got around to watching Gangs of New York. Its pretty cool but very long. I didn't mind the length though as it was pretty good acting all the way through.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I just saw Freaks of Nature with my wife. It's a comedy, and sort of but not exactly a parody of horror movies and it has a decent budget. There were recognizable actors and some not quite so well known ones, so the acting wasn't bad at all. The language was a bit strong, a bit of gore and some violence but it wasn't over the top. I give it a solid 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

ChairmanMeow

you look fantastic

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

ChairmanMeow posted:

you look fantastic

Thank you! And also much thanks to Gilganixon Saint Isaia's Boner!

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Have you guys seen On Cinema At the Cinema. They're doing an Oscar special..

I'm going to miss old you but I'm ready for new you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Has anyone seen Anomalisa? Is it good? I really like Charlie Kaufman but I'm not a big fan of stop motion animation. They're showing it at Film Bar so I might go get drunk and watch it.

• Locked thread