Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Latest update is a rootkit or some poo poo. Google it and deal with it however you want. :siren:

Jack Trades posted:

Have you started SFV at any point during first 12 hours of the Urien update?
If no, then you're good. If yes then you need to delete Capcom.sys from your Windows/System32 folder.

As to what's going on. Capcom basically used a really lovely piece of software that opened a massive backdoor in everyone's system just to try to stop people from cheating in survival mode.

DolansCadillac posted:

Couldn't resist

:siren: IF YOU ARE NEW THERE ARE A TON OF NEWBIE RESOURCES FOR YOU IN THE THIRD POST! PLEASE READ IT AND ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU NEED HELP! :siren:

:siren: IF YOU ARE REALLY NEW TO FIGHTERS THERE IS A LOT OF GREAT INFORMATION IN THE FIGHTING GAME THREAD! THIS THREAD WILL TEACH YOU INFORMATION FOR ALL FIGHTING GAMES, NOT JUST STREET FIGHTER V. :siren:

Thread Table of Contents
1) Summary of the Video Game
2) News & Updates
3) Rookie Fighter Resources
4) Connecting with Goons! (GET ON DISCORD)

The newest installment of Street Fighter has a huge focus on competitive play. Everything is built to make sense to the viewer and the competitor, and even includes a solid ranking system for those that compete at home. In addition, the game features cross-platform play, meaning Playstation 4 users and PC users can play together online. With the new rollback netcode, this is one of the best online systems in a fighting game to date. There's a lot more that's new to SFV, here's a bunch of poo poo I put on a list:

- Revamped online with rollback netcode.
- Steady stream of DLC characters that you can earn by playing the game.
- Fighting system with less bullshit than the last one. No more Focus Attacks!
- Regular game updates, Capcom claims this will be the only version of SFV you'll ever have to buy.
- eSports! Everything is eSports! Capcom is going in on the tournament scene with the Capcom Cup!
- Cool and good soundtrack! #RASHIDOOOOO
- Wide variety of punchymans, from big punchyman to wall jumping punchyman to butt slappylady.

Truth be told, Street Fighter V is fun and good. Despite a rocky launch, Goons all over have been having a great time playing this particular video game. We have some newbie resources down below, and you're always welcome to ask us for help in this thread or on our Discord server, graciously set up by Giogadi. Be sure to thank him!

Much like our game, this thread is a work in progress. If you have any suggestions or ideas, definitely let me know!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

- Alex is here! He's a very fun character and worth a look if you enjoyed him in Third Strike. Our own Jmcrofts has a view videos up for him, give them a watch!
Alex Basics Guide // Alex V-System

- March update is here! (Both of them!) New colors and costumes are available for purchase.

- Real money shop has been delayed, and any characters released during the delay will be free until the shop arrives.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 2, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Before I jump into sharing a bunch of links, I believe it's important to note that fighting games are very unique from other games, and you'll spend a lot of time working to get better. You'll lose a ton of matches early on, and not everything will make sense. This is normal. Most players recommend picking Ryu or Chun-li as your first character because he will teach you all of the basic concepts of the game, like footsies, fireballs, and reversals. He has a great V-Skill that will also help you be mindful of the timing of your opponent's moves, called a "parry." I have personally seen a lot of people pick up Street Fighter and pick a unique character only to quit weeks later because they didn't learn the core concepts of fighting games. Please don't be one of these people, we want you to play with us, and we'll help you every step of the way. Fighting games are the most rewarding games to play, especially in local events. (Local events are amazing, and you should absolutely go. You'll learn so much.)

One last thing, new players should play friendly matches in Battle Lobbies to get started. Jump into our Discord server and ask around. Plenty of more experienced players will give you some 1-on-1 practice time to help you get started. Everyone is incredibly friendly and supportive, so don't be shy in asking us for help.

The Fighting Game Thread has a ton of great information on terms you'll see thrown around in this thread. Give it a read if you don't know what QCF or DP means.

Shoryuken.com is a great place to catch up on fighting game news. They also have an awesome eBook you can read to get a head start in your gameplay.

Here's a key to translate those tricky combos people keep posting. It's not hard to figure out combo notation, even if it looks intimidating. This guide is geared towards Street Fighter IV, so ignore anything about those awful Focus Attacks or whatever.

Jmcrofts posted:

Gonna link my guides for the new thread:

General tips for getting better:
How to Practice Hit Confirming
How to Practice Buffering
How to Improve Your Reactions Using Training Mode
Easy but powerful option select

Guides for fighting against specific characters:
R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

HP: 1,000
    STUN: 1,000
    V-GAUGE: 600 (2 BARS)
Ryu's V-Skill is the Parry. With good timing, Ryu can negate an incoming attack and potentially open up the opponent for a counter-attack. In the right hands, this is a devastating move.

Trykt posted:

:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Ryu practical combos into super. There are of course lots of other combos that technically exist but anything not listed here is probably a less optimal version of something already on the list.

Hit Confirm:
  • st.LP, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (fastest start up)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (strongest "normal" hit confirm)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (max range)
  • cr.LK~cr.LP xx HP SRK xx Super (starts low, fast)
  • cr.MK xx HP Hadoken xx Super (longest range "low" hit confirm)
  • st.MP, cr.MP xx HP Hadoken xx Super
  • f.HP xx HP SRK xx Super

V-Trigger Hit Confirm:
  • cr.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (low, works at max range of cr.MK)
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, st.HP xx Super
  • st.MK xx V-Trigger, Super (max range)
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, Super (vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Full Punish:
  • CC st.HK, st.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (vs. standing only)
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (very slow startup)
  • cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (short range, great damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx HP SRK xx Super (medium range, medium damage)
  • b.HK, st.LK xx LK Tatsu, Super (max range, least damage)
  • HP SRK xx Super (fastest punish, medium range)

Misc:
  • st.LK xx LK Tatsu xx Super (whiff punish vs. standing only)
  • j.MP, Super (situational anti-air)
  • j.MK, st.MP, cr.HP xx HP SRK xx Super (guaranteed after deep or cross-up j.MK hits, big damage)

Note: Maybe this is the SF4 player in me talking but it really bugs me he doesn't have a way into super from anti-air SRK, not even early LP SRK juggle into Super, for some reason the opponent has no juggle points after they get hit by that. At least let me V-Trigger into juggle Super after if you wanna limit that but drat that really chaps my rear end.

Note 2: It occurred to me this is almost every practical combo Ryu has anyway (you basically put Super at the end if you have it) so I'll just throw in a few extra things that are worth learning/doing:

Other Good poo poo:
  • j.MP (2) xx air HK Tatsu
  • j.MP, EX SRK
  • f.HP, cr.HP xx EX Tatsu, EX SRK (corner only)
  • Charged V-Trigger Hadoken Guard Break, dash forward, b.HK combos from above
  • st.HP~st.HK xx V-Trigger, HP or EX SRK (corner only, vs. standing only, unless st.HP hits as CC)

Agoat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 1, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The Goon Spreadsheet can be found in this thread by Hydrocodone. There's also a link to the Discord server set up by Giogadi. Be sure to thank them both, we've gotten great use from them and it's helping all of us level up.

You can find the thread here.

The most important part of connecting with your fellow Goons is adding them in-game with your Capcom ID. This is the username you set up when you first launched your game. Your Steam ID and PSN username are largely irrelevant to this process. I recommend coordinating matches through the Discord server. Pop into the "Looking for Match" voice channel and chat up some players. No microphone is required, we just use it because you can opt in or out with ease.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 22, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rashidddddddddddddoooooooooooooooooo

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the dlc characters will be a step above in power over the main cast, calling it now.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
this game is real boring and capcoms implementation of rollback is really bad and it's technically a mess

wait until March

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Some would say SFV is Not Fun and Good. People have diverse opinions and we should all celebrate that. Unless they like Killer Instinct.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
When's Dan getting added?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

this game is real boring and capcoms implementation of rollback is really bad and it's technically a mess

wait until March
i think this game is insanely fun and has the best netcode of any game played by as many people as are playing it now

buy it now

these are both two very high content posts that this thread should totally be full of, and not at all worthless garbage

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

this is a joke right

e: just to make sure no one in the future reading this, this guy's videos are laughably bad

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2016

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Training mode being slowed down is really weird and annoying.

Load times when connecting to things online also makes me sad.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Why does this thread exist

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
This sure is a thread.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

The netcode is really good, until it's really not. Then you realize all the times it was Really Good it was unplayable for the other person. I guess that's cool if you don't care about actually playing a fighting game against another person who is able to react similarly and is having a comparable experience.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

this is a joke right

Yes, and a placeholder

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Post Lady and Trish gifs

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Heres me playing sf5

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Does Street Fighter V have online lobbies for 8 people or an arcade mode for all fighters or a challenge mode? You know, the stuff launch fighting games for the 360 had in 2005.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does Street Fighter V have online lobbies for 8 people or an arcade mode for all fighters or a challenge mode? You know, the stuff launch fighting games for the 360 had in 2005.

Sure doesn't!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm glad we've finally moved on from that thread full of circlejerky memes and white noise that has very little to do with the game

Jmcrofts posted:

More coming soon!
dictator please.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
But at least it has a

Agoat posted:

- Fighting system based around the "neutral game."

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

But at least it has a

Placeholder, fixed

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 29, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Buhbuhj posted:

Heres me playing sf5

drat buhbuhj you a real fan of that image huh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's so great about arcade mode anyway

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cams posted:

i'm glad we've finally moved on from that thread full of circlejerky memes and white noise that has very little to do with the game

It feels so fresh and new! [edit] I forgot to add the :razz:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

General Morden posted:

drat buhbuhj you a real fan of that image huh

you have no idea how much i love funk cat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

I just wanted to say that these have been very helpful! Both for helping me to brush up and to link to pals who are new and could use some basic advice that can really help them at their level.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Post Lady and Trish gifs

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

What's so great about arcade mode anyway

I feel like Survival Mode should have just been Arcade but with more levels. Not that I'll ever play it, but whatever.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Mortal Kombat 9 was cool because it had dozens of hours of unique single player content in the groundbreaking story mode and the extensive challenge tower. MKX was a flaming bag of dog poo poo. Can street fighter v come close to the only good fighting game ever made?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Liquid Penguins posted:

Mortal Kombat 9 was cool because it had dozens of hours of unique single player content in the groundbreaking story mode and the extensive challenge tower. MKX was a flaming bag of dog poo poo. Can street fighter v come close to the only good fighting game ever made?

vsav?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHey1vFHcnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_s-gNUSF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ER-fTd-NWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbuoSe4COo

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Liquid Penguins posted:

iamp?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

not bad

dont forget the game is still in developement

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This game is awesome, lotta fun, best since Third Strike (or replace that with Alpha 2 if you don't like third strike)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

Hey, thanks for these. This is my first street fighter and i'm incredibly bad at just about everything but these videos are helping I think. Maybe eventually I'll even be confident enough to start playing online.

Also, even though i'm awful I think this video game has been cool and fun so far. So hopefully it will remain that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~