Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Taking a break from benching and doing shoulder stuff helped me a lot. Also, do more dumbbell presses. Sure, you're not going to be able to get the numbers as high (my max bench is like 195lbs, my max dumbbell is like 65lbsx2), but it works your stabilization and shoulders a lot. Start working that in lieu of bench half the time and it should increase your bench.

(also, doing presses et al on the swiss ball helped me a lot)

E: what the gently caress is Crazylegs McGee doing up there?!

E2: I'm like 152 lbs, and the increase for me by doing more shoulder work was about 20 lbs over a few month period. I don't super aim for high numbers though, and haven't ridden that train 'till the wheels fall off yet, so I don't know how far it'll take you.

You're weak as poo poo and no one should follow any of your advice on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Meh. I'm benching 45 lbs more than my weight and I'm going for 'lean and muscular' rather than "GIGANTOR", so I say meh. Meh to all the haters~
:cheers:

poo poo, yeah, better not lift a decent amount of weight or you might wake up looking like Ronnie or something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Question for the guys using straps for their tiny deadlifts:

Do they match your purse?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

while on the topic of hands and deadlifting, what do you folks thing about hook grip? I have a minor case of carpal tunnel from my new job and sometimes my right wrist hurts when I double overhand. Supinated in a mix grip is fine but I prefer not to use it unless I have to, and hook grip totally eliminates the wrist pain for some reason. It's working fine so far, but I'm still at a pretty light weight(up to 225x5 so far since I started again).

Why wouldn't you pull mixed when the alternative is crushing your thumbs?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

cable crossovers make you feel like a badass casting magic missile

despite this, standing cable work is really good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

That's just what works for me visually sassassin, for you I guess it would be something more akin to antidepressant bottle adduction.

I'm not american

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dum Cumpster posted:

How else will people know at a glance that I'm wealthy enough to never go hungry?

bling

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Revenants Return posted:

I am able to do more reps of 45 and 35 on each side of the bench press bar today lol. Felt powerful.

Some guy talking about "pyramiding" itt which I assume means reducing weight until you fail at each weight. Is that good to do?

It is if you're on steroids. It's only really useful when you're already big and want to get bigger.

For everyone else it's just dicking around "feeling the burn".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Profondo Rosso posted:

What makes you say this? Everything I've read has said that muscle exhaustion/high volume/low rest builds muscle (if not strength) as well as heavier work does. Why would the higher test from steroids make a difference? (Legit question because I pyramid and if it's a waste I'd like to know)

Emulating bodybuilders without juicing is wasting a lot of time in the gym to get mediocre results.

Maximising damage to your muscles is only relevant when your recovery is being similarly maximised.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

idk man lifting heavy things up and down is fun n make you feel good + powerful

pyramiding down to an empty bar as a natty 150lber isn't making anyone feel powerful

it's masturbation

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would do a cycle but I'm worried my hairline might start receding. Same reason I don't take creatine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Brofessors claim that test will only murder your hair if you are genetically predisposed for thin/bald hair. So it basically accelerates the inevitable

How the brofessors know this, i do not know

My dad has a full head of hair at 66, but mum's side of the family isn't so lucky.

Still going strong so far. Don't wanna tempt fate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If it recedes even a couple of mm I'm shaving it all off and going in search of ab striations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Boko Haram posted:

We really need a Superswole Me movie where someone just goes through a couple tren cycles and talks to doctors and experts about what's going on with their body, maybe I'll start a gofundme. Give me money.

Bigger Stronger Faster?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can't fool me again. Calves don't grow on non-fats.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

So, was super setting bench (body weight) with jump/clapping push-ups last night (first off, fuuuuck that is always hard), and talked to the guys next to me who I saw benching on the balls of their feet.

And I don't mean just without their heels planted, I mean feet under their rear end under the bench, completely curled up and on their toes. I asked why, because maybe they had a good reason? One of the guys then explained how while it wasn't Olympic lifting, it really upped their bench and made it easier to push through arm failure if you're benching alone.

I think it's because when your legs are curled up like that you can get the rest of your body to help out a little and push up with the legs instead of just anchoring with the legs and pushing with arms/chest and having proper form (pinching shoulder blades, etc).

Broscience goons, what say you?

Your workout makes far less sense than theirs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IllIllIll posted:

My knees keep tracking in on squats. Tried to hit 200 3x5 but thought my knees might collapse so I stopped. Bought mini resistance bands for my knees and went down to 185, knee muscles (abductors adductors I don't know which is which) are confirmed blasted. 2 plates here I come choo choo

Squat stance too wide.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IllIllIll posted:

Also what is wrong with my babby chest, I'm 5'9" 165, squat 195 3x5 deadlift 270 1x5 but I just managed to hit 135 bench with no spotter. Is it because I used to be a 125 pound long distance runner

Yes. Keep benching and do more chest/tri/delt stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phone posting so sorry for the probably poo poo link, but it's a thing. Maybe not exactly the thing you're used to, but it's a thing. (Also, thanks for making me redo some research - just noticed that I'm doing it slightly wrong, will readjust to do it 100% correctly!)

Like learning formula one tracks before your feet can reach the pedals.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Press but do it sitting down.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Teach yourself lifting its really easy.

Flexibility comes by being active and doing a bit of stretching now and then.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're really worried video yourself doing a lift and watch it back, don't pay some chucklefuck to teach you how to do things babies can do perfectly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like Hairdresser, Personal Trainer is a job any idiot can do that the general public has convinced itself is a professional qualification requiring some level of expertise.

You can do both yourself with a mirror and a little common sense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yeah, a good trainer is like a good hairdresser (if you have longer hair) - you find a good one, you stick with them. I've followed mine after he was scouted by a more expensive gym, still don't regret it. It's one of the few reasons why I'm sad I'll be moving soon.

He's ripping you off, bro.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm the exact same size as you and lift way, way more doing way, way less.

Dudes as short as us have no excuse not to bench 100kg. But keep supersetting clapping pushups and curling an empty bar if your trainer says so.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MNIMWA posted:

Saw some massive guys in the gym today using chains on their bench press and now I want to do dumb funky workouts and make a huge scene + noise

What can you guys recommend

Copy the big dudes.

Alternatively olympic lifts make a poo poo ton of noise

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm the woman grabbing some rear end in the background

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I clean with a suicide/thumbless grip, which seems to help my wrist flexibility (without mashing thumbs into paste like hook grip).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Booties posted:

My lower pecs are way stronger than my upper pecs. How do I work on that? I want them to get atronger, but I also want them to look sexier.

For strength do more front delt work

For looks just get bigger and then leaner and more tanned

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone over 30 needs steroids.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Uxzuigal posted:

My strength struggles about 30% on the way up / into the rep.

Triceps

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Booties posted:

I thought heavier deadlifts over squat was the norm?

Unless you're a massive pro powerlifter wearing all the gear, yes, it is the norm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
80x8 is a decent set whats you are max?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hurting your back is a lot worse than hurting your palms.

You don't need to hurt either

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You should have a solid 100 in your locker. Goongrats.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Your body isn't going to metabolise anything you eat just before a workout in time to make a difference in that workout unless you're dosing pure sugar. and/or haven't eaten all day beforehand.

So dose pure sugar and caffeine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Unless you're diabetic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Buy clothes that fit you fat idiot

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SpeedyCow posted:

They used to fit, shithead. That's the point.

Split them once, shame on them. Split them twice, shame on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Hmm, I've already split two pairs of jeans in the last couple of months, and these ones seem snug.

I know, I'll wear them anyway and then post about it later!"

• Locked thread