Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
An ode to old dudes in gyms:

Oh old dude, showering with the curtain open,
Why?

Oh old dude, legs splayed at the entrance of the steam room,
Why?

Oh old dude, shaving in the sauna,
Why?

Oh old dude, laying like Kate Winslet from Titanic in the steam room,
Why?

Oh old dude, flossing your ballsack with a towel at the entrance to the locker room,
GO loving DIE.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a poet.

But seriously. gently caress those dudes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
And butter. Make butter sculptures of Arnold and then shove them in your mouth.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

My Q-Face posted:

Givin it a try, I'm still at like 17-18% BF.

I'm at like 13ish% bf right now. I need abs by Friday. Goons, help me starve myself and keep my swole.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

notZaar posted:

Well I didn't hurl but I only managed a pathetic two reps on the last set.

Lift heavier, brah.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Renegret posted:

has someone invented a taco with negative calories yet

quote:

Millions are dead for the third month in a row as malnutrition and starvation take hold in the wake of the NegaTaco epidemic.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I messed up my costco protein purchase, so instead of chicken breasts I got thighs.

Took a bit more effort, but now I have dark meat too. This pleases me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Had trouble getting my shirt off after the gym today. My arms just wouldn't go that high.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

'Ouch my fascia.'

Have you tried any resistance band stuff/cable? Obliques are mainly twisting workouts and one-arm workouts. If you're worried about tearing stuff, I think doing workouts mainly for the abs with the obliques helping out (so they still get work) may be best (source of most of my knowledge: doing intense sports stuff and then talking about PT stuff with the trainer I've had for 1.5 years).

So, you can do this either with a cable like that or with a resistance band. You can also grab something heavy (how heavy depends on you, so don't start out too heavy) in one hand and do farmers walks, walking lunges, or, if you're getting more advanced, waiter's walks or waiter's lunges (you don't have to have one in each hand, and hell - you don't even have to have proper kettlebells, just make sure it's something you can hold onto) (oh, and if you're feeling REALLY adventurous and you have kettlebells, try holding one straight up instead of letting it hand down against your arm. That sucks.) As you get more advanced, you can do things like bringing the back leg up to your chest while stepping into a new lunge, too. All that stabilization works the core really well, and obliques a good amount too. If I remember more stuff I'll post it.

Edit: Can't help too much on the knee stuff, I'm not really 100% confident talking about most machines and poo poo.

Edit2: You can also do variations of the cable pulls like being down on one knee and pulling down, down on one knee and pulling up, wood-chops, and more. Just make sure if you're down on one knee that the knee closest to the cable is down if you're pulling up, or up if you're pulling down. It makes more sense once you're doing it.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The vagina tightener.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Revenant posted:

Im stuck at like.... 45+25 on each side of the bar on bench press. and I can do like 4 reps of it and can't go up anymore. what do I do?

Taking a break from benching and doing shoulder stuff helped me a lot. Also, do more dumbbell presses. Sure, you're not going to be able to get the numbers as high (my max bench is like 195lbs, my max dumbbell is like 65lbsx2), but it works your stabilization and shoulders a lot. Start working that in lieu of bench half the time and it should increase your bench.

(also, doing presses et al on the swiss ball helped me a lot)

E: what the gently caress is Crazylegs McGee doing up there?!

E2: I'm like 152 lbs, and the increase for me by doing more shoulder work was about 20 lbs over a few month period. I don't super aim for high numbers though, and haven't ridden that train 'till the wheels fall off yet, so I don't know how far it'll take you.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 24, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

FogHelmut posted:

Put more weight on the bar. You'll have no choice but to lift it. Lift or die.

Pushups all day helped me with bench but that could be a bad thing to do, who knows.

Pushups actually work both chest and shoulders (and if you do it a certain way, your back) - so they do help! Sometimes I pair bench press (not at max) with clapping pushups because I loving hate myself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Meh. I'm benching 45 lbs more than my weight and I'm going for 'lean and muscular' rather than "GIGANTOR", so I say meh. Meh to all the haters~
:cheers:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Uuuunf your harsh judgement fuels me.

Quick, I'm almost there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
As the lightweight of this conversation: holy poo poo 3000+ calories.
:stare:

I'm cutting right now, like 1600-1800 cal a day.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Speaking of cutting and eating way too little:

Man, I go through a lot of gum while cutting.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Only lift with peace and serenity.

I only lift to the soothing sounds of the ocean.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
ONE ARMED PULL UPS

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Uxzuigal posted:

Noticed a slight mistake in my benching, probably the cause of shoulder pain, tendency to angle it towards my face on heavy lifts towards the end. Fixed it now, should see some improvements in shoulder and weight I lift hopefuly. Shoulder was fine after last bench session.

Oh, and 270 in deadlifts finaly, woho. But rather heavy on the hands, gonna buy some wraps.

A problem I recently fixed as well. Also, I'm past 325 on deadlifts and am still too lazy to buy wraps. I really should...
Lemme know how they work.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

JFairfax posted:

I keep hitting my cock and balls when deadlifting and it's annoying.

any suggestions?

Time for a sex change, bro. Gotta get dem gains.

FizFashizzle posted:

would you guys read a book about fitness that i wrote

promise there's tons of gay sex

Only if you spot me close.

Ninja edit: No way in hell would I ever even try to squat that much, holy gently caress.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Holy poo poo is that an NPR theme?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

Question for the guys using straps for their tiny deadlifts:

Do they match your purse?

I don't have any yet, but I need to get multiple sets. Have to have ones to match the purse AND fanny pack.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Does your last name end in "stein" or "witz"? We have a tendency to pass down crippling pain when reaching for our wallets.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'd drink protein with that grandma.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Boko Haram posted:

My mom is way more supple but she doesn't understand the importance of whey protein, this lady clearly did

Whoa, calm down there, Oedipus.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
He looks strangely... out of proportion.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Let's be real that's a great physique but he's certainly not in a position to say everyone else has been doing it wrong

Oh yeah, no argument there. He is in much, much better shape than I am. (Look at that Feathering on his sides!)

But, especially talking about chest stuff (his chest looks like mine, but his arms... he's easily 1.5 to 2x as strong as I am) - he has some extra work to do before some people will take him seriously.

For someone my size, his chest workout would probably be perfect. But I'm not sure it's working for him.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Booties posted:

Idk who I want to be more: the old guy using every machine in the gym, or the skinny guy doing 10 lbs curls with cosmic yoga pants on.

Old guy using every machine in the gym while wearing cosmic yoga pants.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fallows posted:

Oh cool I had never seen these until yesterday some guy was doing em in the corner next to the water fountain

You can also do one-armed side raises with an empty (at least for me) Bar. Face sideways, keep your arm straight. Those things are crazy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SpeedyCow posted:

I don't see how doing a full ROM with heavier weight and proper form can build muscle imbalances, but I also admit I could be wrong

Well, it's easier with a barbell to continue current imbalances because one arm can make up for the other to a certain extent since the weight is all connected. This is why it's important to work dumbbells too, because each arm has to lift the weight completely.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm excited to see how this double Chicken w/black beans burrito will leave me feeling.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Skim Milk posted:

gently caress you, buddy. you'll lift those 5lbs pink dumbbells and you'll like it

Hey, I've done pyramid sets where I end up with like fourteen 10s on the bar and people do look at you funny.

But when you end up with no more weight on the bar and pushing to failure is like 7 reps? People look at you even funnier.

Edit: yeah I know you said dumbbells, but the "why do 5 lb weights exist" thing came up earlier itt, and I just want to say that the smaller weights do have a purpose.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If you ain't loud, you ain't doin' it right.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That is correct. Always do it with a spotter though, because you can only dump weight so many times per day before they ask you to leave.

Also, watching your spotter one-hand pick up the empty bar that you cannot push up at all is hilarious. You writhe on the bench. Mostly in exhaustion. Partly in laughter.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

pyramiding down to an empty bar as a natty 150lber isn't making anyone feel powerful

it's masturbation

All natty, bro.

Short guys need love too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
And having long hair pulled back.

I've always thought it was BS, and I'm losing my hair anyway. So gently caress it. Bald at 29? That won't be too bad. Gives me 4 more years to get jacked before I shave my head.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

I think about what would happen if I have a stress fracture in my femur that gave out. Or if I slipped a disk. Or if I failed and my cage broke and the weight took me neck first to the ground. And what it would be like to be crippled after that.

You know, normal stuff.

This.
Plus your zen. Focus. Do it right. You gently caress up and you're injured. Forever.

Don't gently caress up.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I stack two mats and step half on, half off of them, then do raises with a bar over my shoulders. It gets more range out of my calf raise.

This, but also with switching your heel placement up.
1/3 set feet straight
1/3 set heels in
1/3 set heels out.

Then I also pair it with lunges with one foot up on the bench, 25 pounds in each hand. 35? Can't remember, been a little while since I've done this specific set.

Is it is as impressive as using the calf raise machine, or the super reclining leg press for it? No. But I'll be damned if I ain't walking funny after I'm done. Hits the calves and quads.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Uxzuigal posted:

On that note what is an "impressive" calf raise (machine,standing)? Not exactly the excercise to measure your manbeast power in...

DoubleT2172 posted:

There isn't one. People who put a poo poo ton of weight for calves when they still have pathetic calves aren't lifting right and are probably using their Achilles to help get the weight up rather than focusing on calves.

Yes, but when someone loads up the reclining leg press and just pushes it with the balls of their toes / calves, people who don't know how dumb it is stare at that person.

Some people go to the gym to be stared at...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I had a carne asada burrito from "hole-in-the-wall in Los Angeles" for lunch and carne asada tacos from the same "hole-in-the-wall in Los Angeles" for dinner. Recovery day. Surprised at how much the 185 squats tightened up my left leg.

Life is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Eventually the Stockholm syndrome kicks in and ... it's no longer right if you're not sore.

• Locked thread