Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
More gym shenanigans yesterday: Guy collected all the 10 lb plates and put all 10 on the bar. Then he benched to failure, took off two plates (leaving them on the floor) and benched all the way to 0 plates including a final set of 45lbs to failure. I heard him say "27" but not sure what he stopped on. He was also built like a soggy toothpick so I'm thinking he needs a program review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

i recommend he put two plates (we only refer to "plates" here because lol at using any plate that isnt a 45) on each end of the bar, get a spot to get it off the rack if he needs it, and survive. this is a good beginner weight.

Good point. I was squatting and needed a 10lb (disc?) and had to go way over to the preacher curl chair to get one. After my set I turned around and saw 5 10lbs "plates" on each end and made a :stare: face

He also attempted 2 actual plates earlier and he didn't touch his chest with the rep and his spotters knuckles were white while actually saying "all you". After the rep the bencher told the spotter "I don't go all the way down because it's dangerous for your shoulders."

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Goal physique

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

My first gym was an Anytime. It only had one power rack and minimal space for the single barbell. Then one day one of the volunteers told me the Anytime gym the next town over had bumper plates and three power racks. Plus it was on my route home from work. It was a goddamn miracle. Science bless my new gym's franchise owner and his power lifting background :allears:

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

well guys I went to the gym with some work people, and I did deadlift 225x5 and even though I said deadlift doesn't bother my knee like the squatting has lately, it did this time. However my friend had his foam roller so i rolled out my quad/IT band out of curiousity and the pain basically went away within a minute or two and has been fine since. does that mean it's likely tightness or some poo poo or even anything at all? I never had these issues beforehand, only when i started lifting again recently.

Congrats you fully tore your MCL and relieved the pressure. Now onward to gains!

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what

e: if you're loving with me good job, i actually googled that and there's no way. not even 1 symptom fits lol. still going with "tightness, and now 30 years old" for now

Haha yea I was :haw: I was channeling some bro science

I also have that tightness sometimes. Usually can't even squat past 3/4 on my first empty bar set when it's bad.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I remember in the 90s everyone in baseball went crazy and thought flax seed oil was the reason Barry Bonds got so swole

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Chinatown posted:

im gonna start mike changs new program where i can burn calories WHEN IM NOT IN THE GYM!!!

Dude eats sushi with a fork

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Went to a Brazilian steakhouse Saturday. Fully expect to squat the world today.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Lock it out, Mom Mom :rolleyes:

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Just loving bench 400lbs to work your chest this poo poo isn't that hard, bros

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Some of us have long arms bro

So lift 300 and build up to 400 you can do it!!!

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Well you're strong as hell so that's okay and you could build your bench up if you focused on it.

But not being able to bench at least 1.5x body weight and then wondering what chest exercises you can do to get a bigger one is dumb. Just build your bench up and then if your chest is still tiny then do isolation stuff but also get steroids.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Profondo Rosso posted:

I'm not quite at 1.5 bw bench (although hopefully in a few more months) but this seems like a dumb approach. if I already have a bad habit of using my triceps/delts more in a bench focusing purely on the bench and ignoring isolation will only cause further imbalance. could be wrong here I admit

on a side note, thanks for the recommendations. gotta try em out next time

I don't see how doing a full ROM with heavier weight and proper form can build muscle imbalances, but I also admit I could be wrong

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

notZaar posted:

Hat trick!

Same :(

Hit 425x5 deadlift tonight :coolfish:

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Everybody has muscular imbalances, save for like a blessed 5%. Ex: most people will have peaked biceps or hanging triceps, p much nobody has both. So it's not unusual, but there's also pretty much no way to correct it. It's all based on innate stuff like limb lengths, muscle attachments, etc

Just try and do the best you can...a lean developed physique will look impressive, period.

I agree with all that but you'd have to be pretty jacked to legit bench 400 - 500 lbs. genetics/insertions/limbs be damned. I've seen a couple people I've lifted with get swamped in the details of the perfect accessory work when really all they should worry about is adding 5 pounds to their heavy lifts consistently. Bros don't let Bros curl (until they've PR'd their squats)

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

So long as you lift w a modicum of intensity and your routine is somewhat balanced, consistency compounded over time is what will yield results. Weight training is incredibly simple

And you're eating enough or on steroids. It really is simple

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Zzulu posted:

when i sleep bad i get more DOMs, explain please, brofessors

Sleep is like 60% of gains so remember more sleep = more gains.

I saw a guy put 12 10lbs on and AMRAP to failure, take off two, throw them on the floor then do the 20lb lighter weight for AMRAP. Repeat til he was benching the open bar surrounded by every 10 lb plate in the gym. He's skinny AF

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Just ate 5 chicken on a sticks. ready to squat and blow

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Body By Rippetoe

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Monday night is cheap meat night at my super market. Got a big roast beef for :10bux: and two for one chicken breasts packs for 6 bux. Also an 8 piece fried chicken bag for 7 bux

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I'd do calves but gently caress waking up at 3am with a Charlie horse

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Boko Haram posted:

I'm told that the leg extension is really bad for knees, any other common machines I should avoid using at the gym?

It's good for one of your quad muscles (the middle one) so if you want that to get bigger do them. Otherwise just squat.

If you only do extensions then yea it's probably bad for your knees because of muscle imbalance

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Calf-gap the new thigh-gap

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Squat 235x50 last week and I was sore for literally a week straight. I've been lifting or 3+ years too. Soreness never goes away.

Whyeeeee?

Also you can squat 626lbs :D

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

It was 5x10. So my actual squat is only like 370. It's the supplemental part of 5/3/1.

I'm doing the 8/6/3 variant with more squatting. It is a good program

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I'll kip a little to get a couple more reps when I'm tiring out. But that .gif isn't kipping to finish a pull up. It's just swinging from a bar.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Pretty much just eat more. I remember getting stuck at 185 or 190 back when I was a skinny babby. Decided I would get strong fat before cutting and tried to eat like it. Thing is I never really got fat but I did get stronger. You'll never reap those sweet beginner gains if you don't eat enough.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

A kipping pull-up is not really a pull-up.

Elite - really good crossfitters: a way to do lots of straight arms to chest touching bar really fast.

Still, wtf is that pregnant chick doing

Ive always liked how the best Crossfitters don't actually do Crossfit until the games :cool:

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Check out strengtheory.com's guide to squatting. It's huge but perfect for a beginner. Also don't try to make every lift perfect in the beginning. Practice your form and use mirrors and form checks if you think something is wrong but you don't want to be the guy who can't squat 155lbs because he's let his brain get in the way of his physical progression.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Booties posted:

I got long arms. Is this why my BP sucks?

I used to think this. But in reality I was a skinny weakling. Arm length really only reduces maximum bench by like 5% if even. That's a big deal if you're an elite lifter but for bitch babies like us it's nothing.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Pulled a rep of 435 today for a PR. Then squat 240 for 5x10. I am slain.

Cast PhoenixDown by eating steak and sleeping 10 hours. Or get a Megalixir aka Tren

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

How are your squats going on 8/6/3? It's PR week for me and I'm hoping to get 2-3 in at 370 on Friday.

Did 300x8 Monday and I'm still feeling it. The extra volume is nice but I'm working through the doms you get whenever you increase it. I'm doing the "more squatting" variant so my main squats are Monday and I do up to 300x3 on tuesday/thursday and today I do an extra 335x1 set. I'm supposed to squat on Friday but I save my legs for deadlifts and add a couple of down sets for some extra DL volume.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Jesus do you squat every day you lift? I thank god for every day I don't have to do legs. And yeah high volume squats give me DOMS like nothing else.

Every day but deadlift day. However its only 300x3 two days and 335x1 on bench day. I'm currently 5 days a week but Tues/Thur are easy days. Today is 300x3 squats then high rep incline bench/chin ups.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

notZaar posted:

Is your goal to lower your center of gravity to your thighs or something?

I've got long legs so basically yes :cool: I also felt like my squat could be better and I needed to squat more than once a week to improve it.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

notZaar posted:

What's a good way to get a lot of pump in your arms as a workout cap?

Chin ups for bi's, JO for tri's

I get to deadlift today :getin:

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

bamhand posted:

Same. GL deadlift bro.

I did a 3 RM OHP, 5x10 bench and then 3x10 curls yesterday and my arms felt like they were going to explode.

Oh yea I'm also doing OHP today. Added a lot more volume in the last two weeks. Hoping it pays off coz I've stalled on it.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Yea is that you? Coz I really need me some steroids if so

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s stop holding the bar in your palm and you'll stop tearing callouses :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Another way to get the right grip without getting nasty callouses is when you take your stance and grip, wiggle your hands while pulling slightly on the bar. It will slide down to where it's going to end up anyway except it won't take a strip of skin with it. I used to have to file down callouses, too, but ever since i fixed the bar position I only ever have yellowed spots on my palms :dance:

• Locked thread