Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Greatest ROH Champion
This poll is closed.
Lethal 28 47.46%
Rowe 1 1.69%
HANSON 17 28.81%
Pitbull 13 22.03%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm just getting back into Ring of Honor and the Mr. Wrestling 3 thing is kind of odd and baffling and Corino looks like a dick for not helping his son.

Also, Dalton Castle is an amazing follow on Twitter. He doesn't tweet often, but when he does, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Writer Cath posted:

I'm just getting back into Ring of Honor and the Mr. Wrestling 3 thing is kind of odd and baffling and Corino looks like a dick for not helping his son.

Also, Dalton Castle is an amazing follow on Twitter. He doesn't tweet often, but when he does, it's hilarious.

The idea is that Corino would be fired if he interfered with a wrestler and also he'd die if he took a bump so he's in theory doing the only thing he can to piss off Whitmer by still being at ringside

I do think that storyline went on way too long and then for some reason Whitmer won at the last PPV so I guess it's still going

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The idea is that Corino would be fired if he interfered with a wrestler and also he'd die if he took a bump so he's in theory doing the only thing he can to piss off Whitmer by still being at ringside

I do think that storyline went on way too long and then for some reason Whitmer won at the last PPV so I guess it's still going

'Went on way too long", words that will one day be used to describe BJ Whitmer's in-ring career.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it would have blown off at final battle but first BJ was injured and then Corino needed surgery

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Of course I'd be out of town that weekend :smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

I really dug Jason Kincaid too. Fury and Rush for the finals is something I'm excited for tbh.

The Top Prospect tournament is the only time I've ever seen Fury. Is he actually any good, because good lord he sucked in his matches.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Davros1 posted:

The Top Prospect tournament is the only time I've ever seen Fury. Is he actually any good, because good lord he sucked in his matches.

From what I've seen of him in Beyond, he is pretty technically sound, but nothing outstanding. He had a hand in training Biff and Sasha Banks, so he at least knows his poo poo.

edit: and Dijak

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sometimes guys are better trainers than workers. Truth Martini comes to mind, as does Scott D'Amore....

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KUSHIDA-ACH added to Philly. That card is loaded

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

KUSHIDA-ACH added to Philly. That card is loaded

You should mention that's because Kenny Omega was pulled from the event.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That due to an injury or something?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hace posted:

That due to an injury or something?

Undisclosed, but "Out of Omega and ROH's hands"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Undisclosed, but "Out of Omega and ROH's hands"

Wonder if that means he's showing up at the NJC Finals on Saturday morning?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

That's the last night of the New Japan Cup right? I imagine he just got booked to show up last minute and ROH can't do anything about it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dalton gets owned by Kenny BroomMega

https://twitter.com/NickJacksonYB/status/709088020738088960

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ishii's defending the ROH TV title against EVIL in the main event of a Road to Invasion Attack show.

I hope it makes World but it's not currently on the schedule.

In regular ROH news:

The main events of the Supercard of Honor cards on WM weekend have been announced. Night 1 features the Young Bucks vs. MGMG and Night 2 is headlined by Cole vs. O'Reilly - No Holds Barred.

Seems a bit strange that there's apparently no singles title matches on a couple major shows. This also probably supports the rumor that Cole was originally booked to win at the Anniversary show.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Cole/O'Reilly no DQ should be amazing, are both nights iPPV or is Night 2 a TV taping as usual?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Cole/O'Reilly no DQ should be amazing, are both nights iPPV or is Night 2 a TV taping as usual?

http://rohwrestling.com/live/upcoming-events-list

They're both just listed as Live Events, next PPV is Global Wars in Chicago with the NJPW guys.

Last year's Supercard with Jay Briscoe vs. Samoa Joe and Jay Lethal vs. Liger wasn't a PPV either, I remember because I never ended up seeing it for that reason and was kinda disappointed as I was interested in both of the big matches.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/kelitesquad/status/709548379840188416

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wacky Takaaki gonna bring the TV title back to ROH.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's an interview with Tanahashi up on SI.com where he stated that his goal this year was to win the ROH title and take it to New Japan.

quote:

Tanahashi does, however, have a new goal in mind for 2016. New Japan has a lucrative working agreement with Ring of Honor, and Tanahashi wants Jay Lethal’s world title.

“I want the ROH championship,” said Tanahashi, who is a seven-time IWGP champion. “I want Jay Lethal’s title. When I get his belt, I’ll defend it in the U.S. and I’ll defend it on all the big shows in New Japan.”

This was also interesting given the Bucks' normal reputation among guys like Cornette:

quote:

ROH style is too fast,” said Tanahashi. “Everything is too fast, too quick. This one, next one, bam. You need to give the audience time to cheer. The audience cannot think when it is too fast. I hate when the style is too fast. There’s no limit when that happens.”

Tanahashi explained that the Young Bucks, comprised of Nick and Matt Jackson, and Kazuchika Okada are examples of workers who excel in delivering well-paced, logical storytelling in the ring.

“I love working with the Young Bucks,” said Tanahashi. “They are big favorites here in the U.S. and Japan, and people love cheering for them.

Of course, it's worth keeping in mind that Tana knocking ROH to the US press could be nothing more than another example of the worked shoots he loves so much to build feuds (DDT, Shibata, Okada, etc.....)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 15, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Tanahashi winning the ROH title would be awesome, especially if he defended it in a main match at the Tokyo Dome

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I would love to see those two feud. This is great news! From Sports Illustrated of all places!!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Give us Tanahashi/Lethal I at Global Wars, please.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hope Lethal breaks his brittle, lovely back. Also hope he breaks mine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

There's an interview with Tanahashi up on SI.com where he stated that his goal this year was to win the ROH title and take it to New Japan.

This was also interesting given the Bucks' normal reputation among guys like Cornette:

Of course, it's worth keeping in mind that Tana knocking ROH to the US press could be nothing more than another example of the worked shoots he loves so much to build feuds (DDT, Shibata, Okada, etc.....)

The Bucks do slow it down a bit more in ROH than other places.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Hope Lethal breaks his brittle, lovely back. Also hope he breaks mine.

That's Roddy schtick bro

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking take advantage of the ROH DVD sale. I'm looking to pick up the big shows I missed in 2015. Are both War of the World and Global Wars still worth getting? I'm thinking about loading up on the first half and getting the second half when I catch up. I've got these so far:

13th Anniversary
Supercard of Honor
Best in the World

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/712302753566035969

It's six months away and I realize this is probably only of interest to about three other people besides myself reading this, but I'm glad that they're actually running a venue IN Pittsburgh this time (same venue NXT's been using) rather than an hour outside it like normal.

Hope it's well attended so we see a repeat.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Thauros posted:

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/712302753566035969

It's six months away and I realize this is probably only of interest to about three other people besides myself reading this, but I'm glad that they're actually running a venue IN Pittsburgh this time (same venue NXT's been using) rather than an hour outside it like normal.

Hope it's well attended so we see a repeat.

They ran the Convention Center Rumble weekend last year, but yeah, it'll nice to not have to go to Rostraver or Cal U again.

How does the Ringside membership codes work? Can I just ask a member to give it to me (looks like tickets are just on Ticketmaster), or is it per account generated thing?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/716114446754643968

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
oatgan I'm gonna need all the details of THE RETURN OF COLT loving CABANA

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

His home is actually a toilet and he is not welcome even there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
...Are people really excited about this?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I like him and I think it's cool ROH is mending fences with a bunch of guys who had problems with previous ownership. Looking forward to Omega getting his visa stuff sorted out too so we can see some more of him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

buy the VOD when it goes up it ruled

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
How were Rush/Lethal and the no DQ match?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm going back over it and this was the best ROH show in years

Grozz Nuy posted:

How were Rush/Lethal and the no DQ match?

Rush/Lethal was very good but could have been outstanding if the crowd was hotter for Lio. I will say this though they did get me to believe for 2.9999999 seconds that Lio Rush was going to win the title.

You know how in the Davey/Elgin ***** match there's a moment where the entire crowd turns and fully supports Michael Elgin winning the title? This never got there as the crowd loves Jay Lethal too much and Lio just hasn't been around long enough. Jay Lethal was out of this world good though

El Gallinero Gros posted:

oatgan I'm gonna need all the details of THE RETURN OF COLT loving CABANA
ok so after Lio earns Jay Lethal's respect by taking him to the limit Jay Lethal announces that he's still the best champion in the world and he's proved it by beating every single person in the locker room. Maybe someday Lio Rush will be the best in the world because that's how the world works, you claw your way to the top and someday someone better comes along. Today was not that day. He could tell Nigel was running out of ideas if, the admittedly talented, but too fresh Lio Rush was getting a title shot and that he's going to have to start thinking bigger. Jay Lethal then claims nobody in ring of honor can beat him and nobody in the entire world can.

Colt comes out. Colt says he's been travelling the world as an independent pro wrestler for years now and he's proud of that but he has unfinished business in ring of honor and he can't rest until he wins the title. The segment was way longer than this and I cannot do it justice but it was really really really good.

Basically Jay Lethal says he's the best in the world, and Colt Cabana says he's actually been all over the world and he wants a title shot. Very good. Then the Young Bucks had a match with 30 superkicks

oatgan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 2, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm not. I've never seen what other people see in this guy. He's like the most unsympathetic babyface ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

colt cabana is great you dorks.

that show was good. lots of good comedy in almost all matches.

• Locked thread