Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Greatest ROH Champion
This poll is closed.
Lethal 28 47.46%
Rowe 1 1.69%
HANSON 17 28.81%
Pitbull 13 22.03%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'm totally unfamiliar with ROH but bought tickets to the Dearborn WOTW show. I'm familiar with the NJPW guys on the tour, but are there any suggestions of some recent stuff to watch to familiarize myself with the ROH guys expected at that show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Nigel came out for commentary after the Moose/Ishii match and before he had a chance to settle in, Todd came out and hurried him to the back. Moose took a rough bump, but IIT didn't seem to be THAT bad. Seems like something could be up, though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Roque11 posted:

Wrestlers want to be apart of a revolution and they want to wrestle in Japan, not hang out in NXT or come out to no reaction during cruiser matches.

So, I know they have a not-insignificant working relationship, but can you tell me why someone in that situation would want to sign with ROH over New Japan, especially knowing the backstage politics in ROH are a bit rough at the moment?

^^^^
Also seconding this, though it's worth keeping in mind they've managed to get some amazing promos out of AJ, who I don't think anyone would've pegged as a great talker.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 23, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Roque11 posted:

But everybody is unhappy and wants to leave after 12/31 and ROH is suppose to only be left with Christopher Daniels as the next champion.

You know, I was thinking to myself "Roque is the funniest part of the ROH thread" while reading it the other day, but I've changed my mind. I hope I've worked myself into a shoot, brother, because I can't humanly comprehend the idea of someone having a persecution complex over something as trivial as a professional wrestling promotion.

Something actually on-topic, for someone who's never really watched much ROH but is at least vaguely familiar with the roster (and has seen a handful of them live), is there a good spot to pick up on their TV? Or is it the sort of thing where I'll be able to jump in mid-stream and have a handle on it all after a few weeks?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Roque11 posted:

Not as bad as these people who have so much hate for a wrestling company that they build their life around tweeting or posting this hogwash about how the sky is falling for this said company.

Nobody here is building their life around Tweeting about ROH unless they're Rovert, and his whole thing is Tweeting Wrestling Things and kinda awkwardly leaning into the grief he gets.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have little interest in defending you but you're absolutely right here.

The sky is falling poo poo went on for months and pointing at qualifiers thrown in to hedge bets doesn't change how hard that narrative was being pushed.

The ~prevailing narrative~ about ROH that I heard was "wow, if the backstage goings on are this hosed, this company probably won't last very long" with people assuming there'd be a mass exodus of talent because of how messed up it was. Now, those people didn't learn their lesson from TNA being a significantly hotter mess and still existing as a company that literally doesn't make enough money to operate, but. I don't really know how that's as weird as Roque's weird smug quips thinking he's really sticking it to the haters!!

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rovert posted:

Who the gently caress ever said that?

My bad. Not a direct quote. The sentiment between friends I have who paid more attention to ROH over the years, combined with the gossip from all around the Internet wrestling world that things backstage were all sorts of messed up and people were all sorts of unhappy and the handful of actual departures.

I exaggerated that a bit, as I don't know that I've directly seen anyone say they think ROH is going to go out of business. What I mean is that I think the narrative surrounding ROH has been people taking the above into account and combining all of that into thinking ROH is hosed. I've also recently mentioned in this thread that I don't really pay attention to ROH, so I could be completely off-base with that.

• Locked thread