Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

This is Strider. Strider was, originally, a 1989 arcade game and was one of Capcom's early arcade hits. This gave way to a Sega Genesis version which was mostly the same, and an NES version which is... not good. This is none of those, though. In 2014 Capcom released this version of Strider, a retelling of "the core strider story" for PC, PS3, PS4, 360, and X-Bone. It's probably one of the most fun franchise reboots I've ever played, and I am here to share it with you. I am joined by my regular rotating cast of nerds. I am also apologizing upfront about my update schedule, though if you've followed any of my previous LP's you know the drill.

---

Mico fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Welcome back Mico!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Don't call it a comeback

I've been here for years.

I'm rocking my peers.

Puttin' suckers in fear.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Cyber ninjas fighting Russians, wizards, robots and bounty hunters.

If that doesn't sell you on this series I am sorry and that makes you a huge poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I never played the original games, did you have to hit guys like a million times to kill them with your sword to kill them too in those ones? This game was pretty fun outside of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think I'll just watch it in hopes that it'll move me to finally finish the game, I think I lost interest somewhere around the obligatory sewer level.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The sewer level is def the low point of the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mico posted:

The sewer level is def the low point of the game.

Funny how that works. You'd think game developers would stop including sewer levels!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Ironically its also the only point I've ever had the game crash so once we get to Episode 6 be on the look out for some real sloppy editing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mico posted:

and an NES version which is... not good.

WRONG THAT GAME OWNED

shut up

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

They remade this game?! How did I not know this?! :krad:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Strider finally made the jump into the third dimension eh?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

Strider finally made the jump into the third dimension eh?

:eng101: Strider 2 had "pointless 3D", as in enemies would show up from the foreground or background. There was a powerup that made your sword thing shoot homing projectiles, and they could home in on enemies that were out-of-plane.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's pretty amazing how good this game is considering who made it. Besides Silent Hill: Homecoming and the new Killer Instinct their development portfolio includes the Tie-in games for the GI-Joe movie, the Green Lantern movie, and the Battleship movie.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

the Battleship movie.
As in "I fire at B7"? How the gently caress does that work?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

anilEhilated posted:

It was some dumb movie about aliens invading Earth.

Ending spoilers for that stupid movie: If I remember right the movie's ending involved the US naval forces on Oahu coming out of retirement to somehow beat the aliens with WWII technology.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

anilEhilated posted:

Aliens attack earth using submarines, their bomb/missiles inexplicably look like the hit/miss pegs from the board game, and there's an incredibly contrived subplot where they have to use NOAA tsunami buoys to create a grid in the ocean that detects said alien submarine.

It's a loving trainwreck and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

DoubleNegative posted:

It was some dumb movie about aliens invading Earth.

Ending spoilers for that stupid movie: If I remember right the movie's ending involved the US naval forces on Oahu coming out of retirement to somehow beat the aliens with WWII technology.

Yes that happens, you also forgot the part where they drift the WWII era battleship Pirates of the Carribean style.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I dont know why we're talking about Battleship: The Movie: The Videogame but here we are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I approve of notRussia's efficient transportation system :ussr:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

strider 2014 is a good game and i like it.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I liked Strider 2014 a lot until I had to climb up a huge giant room full of tiny platforms with a ton of robots(?) that caused knockback on every hit launching me down to the bottom.

Shoulda got good tbh

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I am sorry to everyone who has been watching my 300+ videos over the past five and a half years but I do not actually do Let's Plays it's been one elaborate prank.

Anyway here's an update.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It returns! I really should play Strider again, but to do that I'll have to force the game to actually configure my controller correctly. Otherwise there are sections later that are really drat finicky with a keyboard.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Finals are next week then I can get rolling on this in a way that isnt a snails pace.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Strider is in the new Capcom Humble Bundle in the $1 bracket.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
#it'slitfam

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5ZwCRY_Uw&t=1350s

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I just picked this up on Steam sale a few days ago, because the only thing that had been keeping me from buying it sooner is that if I anticipate that I will suck at a game, I prefer to get it on sale so I don't feel as bad about sucking. Turns out I don't suck too much at it, and it's rad as hell. Hiryu's an interesting character, because he's actually made more playable appearances in crossovers than he has in actual Strider games. He's been in all three Marvel vs. Capcoms, along with both Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone 2. If I had to guess at an explanation, it would be that the formula for Strider was so good the first time, that they pretty much couldn't improve on it in a sequel. Even this remake plays pretty similarly, aside from the slight genre shift from "arcade game" to "Metroidvania with the pacing of an arcade game" (which is such a good idea I'm surprised nobody's done it sooner).

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

EclecticTastes posted:

I just picked this up on Steam sale a few days ago, because the only thing that had been keeping me from buying it sooner is that if I anticipate that I will suck at a game, I prefer to get it on sale so I don't feel as bad about sucking. Turns out I don't suck too much at it, and it's rad as hell. Hiryu's an interesting character, because he's actually made more playable appearances in crossovers than he has in actual Strider games. He's been in all three Marvel vs. Capcoms, along with both Namco x Capcom and Project X Zone 2. If I had to guess at an explanation, it would be that the formula for Strider was so good the first time, that they pretty much couldn't improve on it in a sequel. Even this remake plays pretty similarly, aside from the slight genre shift from "arcade game" to "Metroidvania with the pacing of an arcade game" (which is such a good idea I'm surprised nobody's done it sooner).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yes, I agree that much like Jon Favreau, it seems that Capcom, after putting out so many big-budget projects, decided to go back to basics for this one, and focus on a guy whose talents include finely filleting stuff.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Commentary happened and while I will not have a video until after I get home from work tonight I do have some HOT PREVIEW ACTION http://tindeck.com/listen/gmefa

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

I will have you know the fact that the hair in the background image starts to appear in this banner is PURELY coincidental.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Are you gonna change outfits in the LP? I forget what unlocks new colors.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

bman in 2288 posted:

Are you gonna change outfits in the LP? I forget what unlocks new colors.

You unlock costumes by finding fallen striders.

They're REALLY well hidden. I think I've only found one so far (in my recordings that is, i dont think we came to it on camera yet)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Then this begs the question: if they died, what killed them? I don't recall having any enemies near where I would find a new costume. But to be fair, it's been a long time since i played the game.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

I didn't forget about you, I'm just the slowest at getting videos out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 7, 2016

• Locked thread