Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
can you fuckin' believe Al Gore picked him to be his vice presidential candidate? i mean maybe that was the Democrats' plan for getting Lieberman out of the senate but jesus what a turd that guy was. is there anyone besides John McCain who actually liked him??

in a sea of poo poo, joe lieberman is a turgid bolus of rat semen. good riddance to that rear end in a top hat. let's all take a moment to feel good about the fact that he's no longer making GBS threads up the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i would guess MIGF loves him

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah good point. MIGF would probably have been a diehard nixon supporter too.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
If you don't "get" Joe Lieberman then you are probably not from Connecticut.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I think Lieberman as VP came from a time when a President possibly would not be tonguing Israel's rear end in a top hat 24/7.

Frankly I can't fathom why America isn't voting Sanders just to watch an old Brooklyn jew tell bibi to go gently caress himself.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
lieberman was a leading proponent of creating the department of homeland security

so yeah gently caress im

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Shrewd and perfidious by nature

He looks like Palpatine pre-lightning transformation and Pope Benedict looks like the Emperor post-transformation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

T r a v i s posted:

I'm not and I would like to know more about the kind of twisted mentality that finds Lieberman an excellent representative of their interests

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Frankly I can't fathom why America isn't voting Sanders just to watch an old Brooklyn jew tell bibi to go gently caress himself.

i thought sanders had a strong pro-israel record though

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not and I would like to know more about the kind of twisted mentality that finds Lieberman an excellent representative of their interests

lieberman lost the democratic nomination but won the senate seat anyway running as the nominee for the Connecticut for Lieberman party.

I lived in CT for college in 2006 and that was loving frustrating to watch. voted in my home state of MA though so i didn't really have a say in the matter

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Here's a song my friend wrote that represents the spirit of Liebermania better than anything I could say.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1jVikXkhe2P

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

He's talked poo poo about Netanyahu in the past, especially last year during their bombing campaign against Gaza. He also boycotted Netanyahu's speech in February of last year citing, "dude's a dick."

I may be paraphrasing that last part.

http://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-israel-and-the-palestinians/

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

T r a v i s posted:

How do we go about kicking Connecticut out of the union?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Lieberman getting reelection to the his seat after losing the primary was the first election i got to vote in and it was very demoralizing seeing a man lose and then win anyway

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

can you fuckin' believe Al Gore picked him to be his vice presidential candidate?

Funny how Liberals love to scapegoat Nader, but nobody ever brings this up.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Funny how Liberals love to scapegoat Nader, but nobody ever brings this up.

Joe Lieberman isn't why Al Gore lost, Generation X is why Al Gore lost. There's been a lot of elections where a party could blame the youth vote's lack of turnout for why they lost, but Al Gore lost because the youth vote showed up, they were just loving stupid.

Was someone's VP pick even really all that relevant before the information age to begin with? The news media cycle has changed a hell of a lot in 16 years. I seem to recall the vice presidency being the punchline of actual jokes prior to Cheney. (lol, anyone remember Dan Quayle jokes?) VPs do pretty minor things that the news media generally didn't cover in the age of print.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lieberman's VP pick did was it was supposed to do - it turned out a whole lot of Florida jews for Buchanan.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Lots of antisemitism ITT.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
remember when those guys took over the "connecticut for lieberman" party and then threatened to primary him before he retired?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mirthless posted:

Joe Lieberman isn't why Al Gore lost, Generation X is why Al Gore lost. There's been a lot of elections where a party could blame the youth vote's lack of turnout for why they lost, but Al Gore lost because the youth vote showed up, they were just loving stupid.

Was someone's VP pick even really all that relevant before the information age to begin with? The news media cycle has changed a hell of a lot in 16 years. I seem to recall the vice presidency being the punchline of actual jokes prior to Cheney. (lol, anyone remember Dan Quayle jokes?) VPs do pretty minor things that the news media generally didn't cover in the age of print.

Which members of the Supreme Court hailed from Gen X?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
He was the best candidate to ever run for office from the Connecticut for Lieberman party!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mirthless posted:

Was someone's VP pick even really all that relevant before the information age to begin with?

It's been pretty drat relevant every time a president has died in office, which has occurred several times.

I don't think Sanders will win, but if he did, I'd bet on his VP being in the presidential office before 4 years was up.

I don't think a VP candidate has ever been a huge factor in a race but they can certain have influence - I'd say Palin completely eliminated any remaining chance McCain previously had, for example. He was losing anyway, but she made it a certainty, and her VP candidacy had a pretty lasting negative influence on the GOP overall as well.

Earwicker has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Feb 24, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

In the old days, the vice presidency was a dead end position where you stuck people whose political careers you wanted to kill (see: Teddy Roosevelt). Of course it worked out good for him because the president died.

Secretary of state used to be the "is going to be the next president" job but now it's the dumping ground for people who have already tried to be president and lost.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Joe Lieberman talking is like hearing someone take a volcanic diseased poo poo.

gently caress you, Joe.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Remember when he knifed his own ticket on Meet the Press during the recount

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Connecticut belongs in the sea

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
My Favorited Joe Liberman anecdote is him starting his own political party, Connecticut for Joe Lieberman. The problem is the party had no registered members so some smart rear end Poli Sci prof switched his voter registration from Democrat to Connecticut for Joe Lieberman and unilaterally elected himself party president. Lieberman's followers attempted to register as the "real" Joe Lieberman for Connecticut Party and the whole thing splintered like a bunch of campus Trotskyists.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Al Gore lost because he thought Monicagate meant people didn't like Bill Clinton, who was wrapping up four years of managing to not leave the country in neutral with the parking brake disengaged (while setting it on fire), which is what passes for success now. So he set out to distance himself from Bill and all his success, which if you're gonna set those terms no poo poo Team Rocket is gonna win. Watch Hillary do the same stupid poo poo this time around.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheScott2K posted:

Al Gore lost because he thought Monicagate meant people didn't like Bill Clinton, who was wrapping up four years of managing to not leave the country in neutral with the parking brake disengaged (while setting it on fire), which is what passes for success now. So he set out to distance himself from Bill and all his success, which if you're gonna set those terms no poo poo Team Rocket is gonna win. Watch Hillary do the same stupid poo poo this time around.

my limited perception is that clinton's been pretty solidly touting obama's presidency so i don't think she's making the same mistake as gore did

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Helsing posted:

My Favorited Joe Liberman anecdote is him starting his own political party, Connecticut for Joe Lieberman. The problem is the party had no registered members so some smart rear end Poli Sci prof switched his voter registration from Democrat to Connecticut for Joe Lieberman and unilaterally elected himself party president. Lieberman's followers attempted to register as the "real" Joe Lieberman for Connecticut Party and the whole thing splintered like a bunch of campus Trotskyists.

that man is a national hero

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

He has a strong pro-peace record.

So diametrically opposed to the current regime in Israel.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I think Lieberman as VP came from a time when a President possibly would not be tonguing Israel's rear end in a top hat 24/7.

Bibi owns, Jews own.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

actually bibi should be glassed like all of likud.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

actually bibi should glass the historical caliphate

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both Gore and Lieberman wanted to censor video games. Gore's wife, Tipper, wanted to censor rap music.

That was their answer to gun violence :laugh:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Was Sheev Palpatine in The Phantom Menace modeled after Joe Liberman?

MariusMS
Jan 26, 2006

Who's laughing now?
Clapping Larry
Wasn't he a freedom rider? Surely that gives him a pass for current abhorrent views

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I heard he's Jewish, can anyone confirm?

(I coulda sworn someone flat out said congress needed a pogrom after Lieberman did a Lieberman thing, but I can't find any reference to it.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mirthless posted:

Was someone's VP pick even really all that relevant before the information age to begin with? The news media cycle has changed a hell of a lot in 16 years. I seem to recall the vice presidency being the punchline of actual jokes prior to Cheney.

The vice presidency has been the punchline of jokes since 1789 or so.

Probably the funniest jokes came from Thomas Marshall, Wilson's VP. Curious how occupying the position seems to inspire such contempt for it, eh?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Joe Lieberman is less than dog diarrhea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Al Gore lost because the supreme court said so.

• Locked thread