Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Let me tell you all the story of Elizabeth. I volunteer for a rescue that mainly does TNR for feral and community cats, but when we find tamer ones, we try to socialize them so that can get good homes instead of a short life on the streets. I've done this for over a year and Elizabeth has been there in a cage the entire time. Why? She bites and claws constantly. She will be the sweetest cat imaginable until you try to pet her sides and back.

Someone really wanted to adopt her but was afraid of her biting and scratching habits. The rescue decided that, in this case, drastic measures were needed because of how much work was done and how little progress was made. Volunteers and staff went in and out of the rescue daily, trying to show Elizabeth that pets were nice, not scary, and she still attacked. A couple of weeks ago, strictly because nothing else had worked, she was front declawed and had her canines removed.

The difference is night and day. She purred and licked my hand last week when I pet her side. Elizabeth is a calm kitty now and will probably be going to her permanent home soon where she can run around instead of being confined to a cage.

I don't suggest this for an older animal, but for younger ones with intense behavioral problems that nothing else has managed to solve, declawing or more can prevent a cat from being euthanized. For OP's cat, medication may be the best solution until their quality of life decreases enough that their suffering needs to end. Our rescue has a cat in renal failure too; Clark gets all the love and special care he needs. He's not up for adoption since he's basically on kitty hospice care. I shared Elizabeth's story so everyone could know a case where drastic procedures saved and improved a life rather than ruined it like most tales of declawing end in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread