Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

My secret shame is that I actually kind of love SA2, significantly more than SA1.

That's not shameful as SA2 is a significantly better game than SA1. It just has a worse legacy due to Shadow. Also:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Neither has aged very well IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Neither has aged ve

I'll make you eat those words!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Strange Matter posted:

Oh, I thought they were mirrors of each other.

My secret shame is that I actually kind of love SA2, significantly more than SA1.

Rogue's mirror of Death Chamber is...Egg Quarters, I think? Neither stage has a time limit mind you, but yeah.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I'm worried about Vicas, he seems to be suffering from some degenerative nerve disorder that simultaneously lowers inhibition and volume control, all in a relatively rapid timeframe (approx 8 hrs).

Also he cheers for the Flyers.
I thought he was from around Philly when I learned that info but I guess he's in New Jersey (and not the part that's basically Philly)? Beats being a Rangers fan, though.

Also, is the Rolling Rock brewery in Newark the same one near the airport that used to have the neon sign of the Anheuser-Busch eagle flying? I always loved seeing that as a id.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Oh, I thought they were mirrors of each other.

sonic adventure 2 fuckin owns

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hostile V posted:

God bless Rowdy Drunk Vicas and for the LP introducing me to the Done Quick run of Sonic Boom which is just...outright cathartic to watch.

Man, you weren't kidding. The speed run reached the same point as the LP in fifteen minutes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Y-Hat posted:

I thought he was from around Philly when I learned that info but I guess he's in New Jersey (and not the part that's basically Philly)? Beats being a Rangers fan, though.

Also, is the Rolling Rock brewery in Newark the same one near the airport that used to have the neon sign of the Anheuser-Busch eagle flying? I always loved seeing that as a id.

I'm from Central Jersey but my mom is from South Jersey and I have a lot of family down there and my aunts used to take me to Flyers games so shrug

My dad is from Queens and is a Mets fan so I'm sure you can understand why I grew up without much affinity for New York sports

And yes, that's the brewery

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, the Mets are good now! Certainly better than the Yankees and their cheap bastard owner. But yeah, central/south NJ is more Philly sports territory, so it makes sense.

I hope they still have the neon eagle on that brewery.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My formative opinions about baseball and the mets were formed in the 90s and 2000s (they're bad)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You're bad :mad:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jnRdHZQejg

Hey guess what? It's my personal favorite moment in the LP

enjoy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
16:03.

Nobody's gonna notice that we have two plane models loaded here, right?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Okay, that cutscene is abysmal in so many ways. The fact that all the enemies just teleport in. Lyric's now psychic and can just levitate the crystals towards him. Sonic getting hit point blank with a million shots, buried under tocks, but it's okay, he was just taking a power nap.

Not to mention, I think it was supposed to parallel the beginning of the game, where the three friends got their asses handed to them by metal sonic, and sonic entered the tomb to save them (and they argued they didn't need saving, and give him poo poo for it, though it really did look like they needed it). But it's so god awful, because there's no reason why Sonic appeared to be in danger (compared to any other point in the game with enemies), and the other three ignore him and give up the crystals, for him to be shot at anyway. Talk about being a bunch of hypocrites.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Julias posted:

16:03.

Nobody's gonna notice that we have two plane models loaded here, right?

I saw that too. Which was especially weird because the one that's further back never actually appears in any cutscenes (we always see the one on the bridge) so I have no idea why it's even there.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Julias posted:

Okay, that cutscene is abysmal in so many ways. The fact that all the enemies just teleport in. Lyric's now psychic and can just levitate the crystals towards him. Sonic getting hit point blank with a million shots, buried under tocks, but it's okay, he was just taking a power nap.

Not to mention, I think it was supposed to parallel the beginning of the game, where the three friends got their asses handed to them by metal sonic, and sonic entered the tomb to save them (and they argued they didn't need saving, and give him poo poo for it, though it really did look like they needed it). But it's so god awful, because there's no reason why Sonic appeared to be in danger (compared to any other point in the game with enemies), and the other three ignore him and give up the crystals, for him to be shot at anyway. Talk about being a bunch of hypocrites.

It's almost like the developers needed a way to keep customers hooked for most of the game instead of trading it in after the glitches and terrible story reared their ugly heads.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
That was the third episode in row where I start watching and have absolutely no memory of how the game got there.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Bubsy the Bobcat is my favorite Sonic friend.

slycooper20 posted:

Dude, I don't blame you. The story's so forgettable, even I have no context of where the gently caress we are.

How did they fly to the Shadow Realm? How did they know to go to the Shadow Realm or where it was? Why was the engine on fire? Usually when a game cuts sections they'll still try and make the separate chapters match up in some feasible fashion. They used the Sonic: Lost World title on the wrong game.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 5, 2016

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Toma posted:

That was the third episode in row where I start watching and have absolutely no memory of how the game got there.

Dude, I don't blame you. The story's so forgettable, even I have no context of where the gently caress we are.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

C-Euro posted:

I saw that too. Which was especially weird because the one that's further back never actually appears in any cutscenes (we always see the one on the bridge) so I have no idea why it's even there.

The developers couldn't decide where it should be in the cutscene and forgot to take one out?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I recommend watching the four part BUBSY FRACTURED FURRY TALES "race" mentioned in this part.

It's really something.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
oh. no. sonic. died. whatever should we do.

also, why did the others give up so easily? is...was there a plot point about that or?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dingwall posted:

oh. no. sonic. died. whatever should we do.

also, why did the others give up so easily? is...was there a plot point about that or?

Nope. Just lovely writing. I guess they were worried about somic, but he got shot at anyway. It also completely contradicts the way they reacted to sonic saving them at the beginning of the game, making them loving hypocrites.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I love how we have no idea where we are and how we got here but it's coming into the home stretch and it'll all be over soon. Also yeah as time goes on it's apparent that less and less polish/sense was put into the later levels, it's astoundingly crappy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's bad enough that there are no invincibility frames in Sonic Boom, but they also have enemies shoot multiple homing shots. At least it's much shorter than Sonic 2006.

Also, is Newark Airport still constantly under construction?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Y-Hat posted:

It's bad enough that there are no invincibility frames in Sonic Boom, but they also have enemies shoot multiple homing shots. At least it's much shorter than Sonic 2006.

Also, is Newark Airport still constantly under construction?

Considering construction projects in the US, there is a 95% chance that it still is.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Remember that silent airship that showed up in the water town?
well it was in the sky level also. just like before it silently showed up only to have tails blow it's three inactive turrets up.
I also agree with the fact that a lot of the animation in this game for non character stuff seems to lack oomph or any kind of weight. If there is a physics engine in use here, it's been used quite poorly.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEX37soBUo
walkin on tiles is not a puzzle

Hostile V posted:

I love how we have no idea where we are and how we got here but it's coming into the home stretch and it'll all be over soon. Also yeah as time goes on it's apparent that less and less polish/sense was put into the later levels, it's astoundingly crappy.

lmao

Acne Rain posted:

I recommend watching the four part BUBSY FRACTURED FURRY TALES "race" mentioned in this part.

It's really something.

Pilot's license... what for????

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Sonic goes so fast they're still building the game around him!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Interesting way of spelling "let's go!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know every question about this game can be answered with "who gives a poo poo," but when you pick up the garbage "shinies" that you can exchange for crowns, are you supposed to go back to that one island just so you can give it back to that badger-like animal?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The answer to that is yes.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
good god, this game won't loving end.

this has basically become that scene in MST3K where tom servo just screams: END at the movie with as much hatred as he could.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNA_3ka9CC4
HERE IT IS THE GRAND FINALE EPISODE!

There's still a post-everything wrap up afterwards, but this is it baby... the game!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Of all the many confusing things in this game, the sudden and inexplicable appearance of the science hell dimension is the one that gets me worst.

Evidently the robosnake has his own hell dimension. And we flew there in a biplane. Who knew.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What? No impossible to complete final level with randomly appearing time dimensions? No radical train? No billiard puzzle? You just finish the game and piss on the credits and it never has any part that just won't let you finish it so you can finish the drat game and it drives everyone nuts? Laaaaaame.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Vicas posted:

That's my new avatar!

Here you go!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I like how even in this garbage game, Eggman continues to be the best part of the Sonic franchise.

So why was Lyric's shield generator disabled by people yanking his tail? That's just perverse. That's like the snake equivalent of putting something down your pants so someone has to fish it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe it's been a while since I've seen video game credits but does anyone else find it weird that they listed all of the non-video game departments at their company in the credits? I mean, it's cool that you're giving a shout out to your Legal department but I don't see how that's relevant here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Maybe it's been a while since I've seen video game credits but does anyone else find it weird that they listed all of the non-video game departments at their company in the credits? I mean, it's cool that you're giving a shout out to your Legal department but I don't see how that's relevant here.

You've never played an Ubisoft game I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

You've never played an Ubisoft game I see.

Yeah but those fake you out with multiple special thanks sections for all the different branch offices that may have contributed a small amount. And then go on to credit all the translators and oh yeah let's not forget the people who

• Locked thread