Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

In case you somehow missed that this is a way long time ago, here's a view of an American Main street way back when. Or if you're not familiar with this view of American culture. My town still kind of has a main street like this, but a lot of the older shops are closed up and not many things survived Wal-Mart and Meijer.

Yeah, my podunk little town has a mostly functioning one, and it's literally Main Street, but it's only about four blocks total in size. It's actually a pretty big thing in this area to try to keep the old downtown areas intact.

As for names, I usually use my real name since I'm a dork in a little town that references movies constantly, but I'm going to suggest Zack and Bowser

I always liked this game, but there's a mechanic we'll get to shortly that always bugged part of me.

e: vote changed to York and Zach

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I want to change my vote to York and Zach because I goddamn hate Scooby Doo.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Fat Samurai posted:

Maybe if we leave the vote open for another 24 hours? :D

Let's Play the Secret of Evermore Voting

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Kheldarn posted:

Also, a level up? In a Leavemywife LP?

Hey, that's my schtick!

It's fine, really

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

Then you better get back to it! :argh:

Oh, sure, act like you can boss me around and get some results.

Well, poo poo.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So you cast spells by combining items? That seems like a kick in the nuts if you have to level them up. Are there any items that are limited in quantity?

To be fair, the only use of the items is casting spells.

But yeah, on the whole, I don't like the alchemy system because it can be a pain in the dick to resupply before a boss fight and it feels like you're spending most of your game money on ingredients instead of other things. I tend to hoard things in games (even missiles in Metroid games) so this doesn't help with my proclivity to not cast magic to hurt things.

When I beat the game back in the day, I was borrowing a friend's Super Nintendo and box o' games and he was amazed I finished it because the last fight was "so hard." Turns out, my healing spells were much higher levels than his (I checked his save file), so they were much more effective on keeping me alive. So much so, in fact, that I felt like I was just walking through it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Simply Simon posted:

It does actually pick up a solid dynamic if you just go with the flow. In the start, treat the limited inventory like spell charges - you'll just run out at some point, it's just gonna take a while longer to get them back. I hate spell charges, but in SoE it kinda works because you don't really want to use magic/alchemy on normal enemies anyway. In Final Fantasy 3, for example, that's a huge dealbreaker - you got a Black Mage you want to train but he's not really going to use those, like, 5 charges of Fira on the first five random encounters, right? So he's useless in every fight until you finally reach the boss you can blow them on. Sucks.

In SoE, that's only for the first few hours. Afterwards, you will actually have enough money to just stock up on basic spells rather quickly, and then you can continue to use those even on normal enemies, level them up a little. The new spells you get, those are now your new charges you conserve for bosses. And so on. You will continue to pick up ingredients as you go along, those can fuel some spell you haven't used in a while, or keep you going as you push on; maybe you'll get half of a spell in good amounts, then you only have to restock the other (maybe cheaper?) half.

Overall, the system is flexible enough to work surprisingly well; and believe me, I've hoarded through enough games in my life, SoE really doesn't need that much of an attitude adjustment to just go out and use the drat spells already.

I forgot to mention that, yes, it simply feels more restrictive than it really is. I dislike it at a more abstract level, I suppose.

I need to dig up my copy and see where I am. I think I know, but I'm not sure.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

So I found my copy and plugged it in to see where I am and I was on the money. The real reason I'm posting about it is that I had forgotten the names I used in this playthrough because I'd reached the "who gives a poo poo" stage of character naming. The boy is named MegaDude (a throwaway name I use all the time) and the dog is Sir Barkington.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

For me, this is what I always think of when the topic of acid rain comes up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Explosionface posted:

So I found my copy and plugged it in to see where I am and I was on the money. The real reason I'm posting about it is that I had forgotten the names I used in this playthrough because I'd reached the "who gives a poo poo" stage of character naming. The boy is named MegaDude (a throwaway name I use all the time) and the dog is Sir Barkington.

So I went ahead and played a bit from my save file and boy, do I have some thoughts.

1) I picked a really bad time to stop playing. It's a halfway involved dungeon and I was through most of it, but even using a guide, it took a while to finally finish it off.
2) Holy hell, I can't hit anything! There's a larger than expected delay between hitting attack and actually attacking, so it's easy to get whacked by a bad guy during your animation. It goes double if you're attacking up or down and much harder to judge distance.
3) I really don't remember this game consisting entirely of mazes, but I think I'm just in a rough spot. A maze every now and then is okay, but three out of four places I've been so far are mazes.
4) It's a little annoying having people as save points. "I need to hurry up and save my game so I can gently caress off and do real life stuff! Now which of the 50 NPCs in this city is my save point?"

So it's still fun, but it's definitely an RPG you don't want to leave idle for a year+ before going back to it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Simply Simon posted:

Find a big map on the internet...

I found a great place, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head, so it has to wait until I'm home. Hit me up tonight if you want it, Leave.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Are you sure that's really Viper Commander?

And of course, the power of Cure forever:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

But, really, just use whatever you got most recently. Weapons level up fairly fast unless you run by everything your loving dog keeps stealing all your kills!

You'll never guess why my dog has to go on constant search duty now.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

silversatyr posted:

You know you can set him to not attack at all, right? Set his AI to the far left and his weapon level to the lowest and he'll only ever search for items and not attack enemies.

You know I had text under the quote, right?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Seiren posted:

And then you yelled at me for yelling at you about it!

...whoops, spoilers
its me, i'm the spirit-guide for the LP :ghost:

It's a trap you can never escape, fyi.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Leavemywife posted:

Seiren, be glad I don't know of any sprite editing or .gif skills you have. Just ask Explosionface how many requests for things he gets.

And just for this thread, even!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Ah, finally managed to catch up after a few busy weeks and associated exhaustion. It would be reasonable to expect some gifatars soon.

Also, I'm watching you, Kheldarn. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I may have been sitting on a couple of these for a while...

The following aren't legal avatars, but they still look cool. A couple stand a chance of making it after a couple of size reduction passes, but it's going to wait for now.

• Locked thread