Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Mine came just a couple of months ago in Indonesia. We'd booked a 3 hour train trip between two cities in eastern Java, but got to the station and discovered the train was cancelled due to flooding. No big deal, there's a nearby bus station so we can catch a bus. The route takes 6 hours but we aren't in a huge hurry.

First we got scammed by someone at the bus station - in Indonesia you buy tickets from a conductor on the bus; this "travel agent" guy stood just outside the door and sold us legit but double-price tickets. At least it was only $16 instead of $8, but not a great feeling when we realised.

Secondly, the bus was configured for six seats abreast with an aisle. I took a window seat, put my backpack next to me and my wife sat a couple of rows back in a window seat. The seats were designed for Indonesian frames, not Western frames, so sitting normally meant my knees were jammed against the hard plastic seat in front of me, and the recliner knob was sticking into my buttcheek. And because I couldn't move closer to the window (I have broad shoulders), the seat would stick permanently in the recline position.

Thirdly, the bus filled up after about 3 stops, so I had to have my backpack and my shoulder bag sitting on my lap.

Fourth, we were heading westerly so I was in the sun (and thus sweating with no air con) constantly.

And to top it all off, it was the last day of Ramadan meaning that literally everyone was on the road travelling, and that there was constant traffic. The "6 hour" bus trip ended up taking 27 hours, with no breaks. I couldn't sleep because of the awkward way I was sitting, I couldn't eat or drink because we hadn't brought supplies, and I couldn't piss because I'd sweated out most of my body fluid. And I couldn't commiserate with my wife because she was a few rows behind me and I couldn't turn around to see her :(

That was 2 1/2 months ago, and I've still got bruised knees and a sore back :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not really an option unfortunately, since you're just sitting in standstill traffic on the highway most of the time! And a private car for that long would've cost a fortune :(

This was the kind of thing we were dealing with, though in a different part of Java:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36748008

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

She sat there herself, I didn't put her anywhere! Originally she sat in the seat behind me, but moved another row back because my seat was permanently reclined and not giving her any space. It makes more sense that we spread out because the bus was pretty empty at first, so we could have luggage on spare seats etc.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

caberham posted:

Oh my god so you guys could have sat together? Once you see people piling on you guys didn't move seats?

Yeah we could have. Not our best moment, but in our defence at that point we didn't know we'd be on the bus for another 24 hours :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Nice work, Salad Man.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah Imodium is 100% treating symptoms, not causes. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's basically the medical equivalent of clenching your rear end in a top hat shut.

I'll keep it handy and have some if I get "that feeling" and know I won't have access to a decent bathroom for a while (eg getting on a train/bus), but if I don't have that need I won't use it. You're better off making GBS threads out whatever bug you have, rather than blocking things up and making it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

You fly first class but can't afford a cab to/from the airport? :raise:

• Locked thread