Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Back in my 2009 I had bought a ticket to fly to Japan for about two weeks before going elsewhere in Asia.

Two days before the flight I hurt my leg pretty bad and went to my university's medical center and they gave me a bunch of those fat 800mg motrin pills with no instructions. I knew that you had to take them with food but for some reason just wasn't paying attention due to final exams and a busy schedule in general. So I was popping like 2-3 of these a day. Boom the day before I leave for Japan I get the worst stomach pain. Like someone was ripping the flesh out from the inside of my stomach lining. On top of that I was making GBS threads blood bricks that were pitch black which is apparently a symptom of internal bleeding in the stomach or intestines.

After some WebMD poo poo I realize that taking all those 800mg pills without coordinating with meals had caused a stomach ulcer. I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep, take a poo poo without ripping a new one, or even eat because of pain. My stomach acid was causing most of the pain and the only thing that temporarily soothed me was drinking milk due to it being slightly basic.

I told my mom that I'm not going to Japan but my mom basically said "STFU and man up, you paid all this money you're loving going." LOL?

Worst flight of my life. I was in pain the entire time and had to take a poo poo 5 times which were extremely uncomfortable. Massive bloating due to being lactose intolerant but since I had to keep asking for milk to sooth my stomach it was compounding the problem. The flight attendant thought I was crazy because I basically ordered a gallon of milk during that flight. Only saving grace was having an aisle seat when it came to taking a poo poo.

TLDR: If you are going to take Motrin (Ibuprofen) make sure to take it with a large and substantial meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I have a new one! I was away from home or three months this year: 10 days in Toronto, 2 months and a week in Belize working at a wildlife rescue facility as a practicum for school, then a week and half in Mexico to visit with friends and family.

My last day at work in Belize, I came down with a severe fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite rather suddenly. I had that itch in the ears and a minor light cough indicating a cold for a couple days prior. By the next morning I was coughing uncontrollably. I had given myself 3 days to see the tourist sights in Belize before heading for Mexico, and I spent the entire time in bed coughing myself to death. At one point I coughed so hard I triggered my gag reflex and ended up throwing up several times.

When I travelled to Chetumal, Mexico, it was by boat then I walked to my hotel which was only a block and a half away. I was so fatigued it took about an hour. I spent the night in the hotel and developed severe pain around my lungs like I had cracked a rib or seized up all the muscles or something. The next day I flew to Mexico City to visit with some friends for 2 days. I think if I stayed any longer I would have been hospitalized. A city as polluted as that combined with that elevation after being at sea level for 2 months is not where you want to go when you have severe respiratory illness. I did manage to drag myself out to do a driving tour downtown with a stop to see the big cathedral downtown. I also made it to Teotihuacan but only listlessly wandered around.

I then moved on to Manzanillo, which was back at sea level and relatively clean air. I started to feel a bit better, but couldn't do much a=of anything due to the insane amount of pain I was in. Coughing was excruciating. I had to sleep sitting up because laying out flat pulled on the muscles/ribs too hard and I would cry out from the pain. My favourite thing to do there is just go out for a swim in the ocean, but I never did it at all. I was so exhausted from the pain.

I got home over 3 weeks after getting sick. I didn't seek medical attention until then for one major reason: I'd have to report the incident to my university since I was on an official international out-trip. I know from experience they are ridiculously overreactive to students having medical problems on out-trips to the point of banning people from going to that location ever again. I didn't want to blacklist the facility I worked at or the entire country of Belize, so I kept it to myself. I tried to make an appointment with my regular doctor, but after describing some symptoms to the receptionist, she told me call our Healthlink number and get into an emergency clinic. I saw someone that day and it turned out I had bacterial pneumonia which was triggering an asthma attack that likely lasted all 3 weeks. My blood oxygen saturation level was 73 at rest.

I was put on emergency asthma medication and antibiotics and my cough went away in 3 days. The rib pain persisted, though, and only finally went away last week. It's been a bit of an ordeal.

WTF..

You could have died.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I kind of just assumed it was a really bad case of bronchitis, which I'm prone to. I really started to worry when I got home and got worse due to going back up in elevation and the air being cold. In hindsight I totally agree it was pretty stupid.

Not criticizing you, but my uncle (I never met him) died when he was 17. Thought he had a cold and a bad cough. So he just kept rolling with it for about three weeks thinking it would get better and then he was dead within a few days once the pneumonia went south rapidly.

• Locked thread