Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

one time on a 14 segment trip in business class one of my long haul 777 with lay flat seats was replaced with a regional 777 with only moderate recline. those 3 hours and 55 minutes of daytime were hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My worst experience is actually going to West Lafyette Indiana. Everything there is just so weird.

And the bouncers didn't accept my Canadian passport as ID because I didn't have a USA visa stamp. Middle America is just awful.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just landed in San Francisco. Would say is airports and customs suck big time with 2 hour waits

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Mine came just a couple of months ago in Indonesia. We'd booked a 3 hour train trip between two cities in eastern Java, but got to the station and discovered the train was cancelled due to flooding. No big deal, there's a nearby bus station so we can catch a bus. The route takes 6 hours but we aren't in a huge hurry.

First we got scammed by someone at the bus station - in Indonesia you buy tickets from a conductor on the bus; this "travel agent" guy stood just outside the door and sold us legit but double-price tickets. At least it was only $16 instead of $8, but not a great feeling when we realised.

Secondly, the bus was configured for six seats abreast with an aisle. I took a window seat, put my backpack next to me and my wife sat a couple of rows back in a window seat. The seats were designed for Indonesian frames, not Western frames, so sitting normally meant my knees were jammed against the hard plastic seat in front of me, and the recliner knob was sticking into my buttcheek. And because I couldn't move closer to the window (I have broad shoulders), the seat would stick permanently in the recline position.

Thirdly, the bus filled up after about 3 stops, so I had to have my backpack and my shoulder bag sitting on my lap.

Fourth, we were heading westerly so I was in the sun (and thus sweating with no air con) constantly.

And to top it all off, it was the last day of Ramadan meaning that literally everyone was on the road travelling, and that there was constant traffic. The "6 hour" bus trip ended up taking 27 hours, with no breaks. I couldn't sleep because of the awkward way I was sitting, I couldn't eat or drink because we hadn't brought supplies, and I couldn't piss because I'd sweated out most of my body fluid. And I couldn't commiserate with my wife because she was a few rows behind me and I couldn't turn around to see her :(

That was 2 1/2 months ago, and I've still got bruised knees and a sore back :gonk:

Jesus, i would have just boarded the next bus and forfeited my tickets for better seats. Or take a private taxi.

If you are poor and have no options yeah then bus is the only option. But traveling with your spouse? Ugh

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

How many non-terrible stories ever started with "I/we got on a bus?"

Maybe 1% of all stories that start that way? If you're lucky.

I went to Indiana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god so you guys could have sat together? Once you see people piling on you guys didn't move seats?

• Locked thread