Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I guess my story pales in comparison, but I once waited 2 hours for a taxi outside an airport, and had to stand up in line the whole time in 30 degrees heat. I came out of Manila airport and there was just a shitload of people and a shortage of metered taxis. I refused to pay 5-6 times the price for a private van, so I kept thinking "it can't take that much longer" while standing in line... but it did. I eventually went into a sunk cost fallacy, thinking both "it can't take that much longer" and "I've been standing in the line for so long now". Thankfully I had a bottle of water with a tiny bit left so I could wet my mouth occasionally. The taxi finally arrived, smelling like cigarettes, and didn't attempt to scam with the meter at least.

webmeister posted:

And to top it all off, it was the last day of Ramadan meaning that literally everyone was on the road travelling, and that there was constant traffic. The "6 hour" bus trip ended up taking 27 hours, with no breaks. I couldn't sleep because of the awkward way I was sitting, I couldn't eat or drink because we hadn't brought supplies, and I couldn't piss because I'd sweated out most of my body fluid. And I couldn't commiserate with my wife because she was a few rows behind me and I couldn't turn around to see her :(

That was 2 1/2 months ago, and I've still got bruised knees and a sore back :gonk:
27 hours, holy poo poo that's crazy. I'm surprised the bus didn't stop now and then in towns and let street vendors in to sell water and snacks, they do that in the Philippines for example. I've tried those 6-seats-per-row busses also..... but the worst was a local boat with seats even smaller and more cramped; where you dream of sitting on a monkey class airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Speaking of crap, what's your guys' experience with Imodium (active ingredient Loperamide)? They are aggressive "blockers" against diarrhea, but I've read that they sort of "plug" the system and shouldn't be taken liberally. The instructions say that they don't "cure" the reason for the illness, but well, you can't really cure a 1-day stomach infection with vomit and pooping anyway, you just have to let it runs its course. Has anyone tried taking them at the onsight of the runs, with good results?

I have them in my carry-on bag traveling, but haven't had use for them yet, thankfully.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

PT6A posted:

I've seen people take their shoes and socks off on the plane for no reason at all, did you consider that?
On some flights they give you extra socks, and/or slippers. The slippers are actually nice since they insulate from the cold cabin floor.

• Locked thread