Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
Well, I've been whitewater kayaking around the world for the last 2 years, so had a few interesting experiences, to name but a few:

Having the petrol stove break on the first day of a 10 day first descent and cover all the food in petrol for the rest of the trip, which was way in the Arctic circle so very little wood to make fires with. Luckily we had some dehydrated meals so those were palatable cold, but petrol soaked oats wasn't the most enjoyable way to start a day.

Hiking over several mountains carrying 10 days of supplies and gear, on top of 30kgs of kayak & kit, makes for some extremely unpleasant times and some very sore shoulders.

Accidentally (repeatedly) paddling into unpassable and (nearly) inescapable canyons.

Running away from erupting volcanoes.

Getting so many punctures on the car (15 in 6 months) that the jack broke and having to lift the car by hand.

Borrowed someone else's car, crashed it into someone else, didn't speak the language and neither did they, or the police.

Being in the middle of the worst built part of Kathmandu for a 7.8 earthquake (and in a office block tower for a 7.6)

Getting a bus over a 5500m (18,000ft) pass with Giardia and Dysentery, having not eaten in a week and then starting a 300km class V river through one of the more remote parts of Jammu/Kashmir in one of the most inescapable canyons in India.

Being blockaded from entering into Nepal, but with an expired Indian visa, so ending up in a little Perspex room in Delhi airport for a day as I couldn't go anywhere else.

But I, too, was slightly overcharged by a taxi driver and it was the worst experience ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread