Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
yes, there's that. I don't think anyone is really under the impression that koalas are bears, though. there are, however, an awful lot of people who think that "monkey" is some distinct and cogent classification of animal because of years of hearing "humans are apes, not monkeys :smug:" or "we didn't evolve from monkeys, we share a common ancestor with monkeys :smug:" or other equally meaningless poo poo

another paraphyletic group: reptile. In order for reptile to be taxonomically meaningful, all living birds would have to be considered reptiles. and some taxonomists are starting to acknowledge that in the literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Pope Francis copied himself into the internet would that copy be the Permanent Pope?

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
no idea y its like only me and some other person possibly lowtax that read the singularity books from anti-pope

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

McDowell posted:

If Pope Francis copied himself into the internet would that copy be the Permanent Pope?

probably not, but obviously catholicism is not averse to invoking the supernatural.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
here is the part where i take taxonomy, and STUFF IT

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

I dunno I'd have to consult the Catechism...

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
r the gods real ya etc they are. they will not save u from urselves. supernatural lol. u ppl r dumb etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

no, because the true pope Francis would die in such a procedure, (and Catholics defiantly believe in souls so don't bother arguing that he doesn't!) the new e-Francis copy would have to be elected to pope on his own personal merits, before a true eternal pope can come about

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

no, because the true pope Francis would die in such a procedure, (and Catholics defiantly believe in souls so don't bother arguing that he doesn't!) the new e-Francis copy would have to be elected to pope on his own personal merits, before a true eternal pope can come about

True but BUT, f it could somehow be demonstrated that Pope Francis's soul was also transferred to the computer, he could be declared eternal e-pope right away.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Robo pope?

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
ya lets just let the devil be pope with his friend Mephistopheles and gaiia that will work out great

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
from a more practical standpoint, I think we need to reapprise the whole SC judges serving until retirement or death as clinical immortality looms closer

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

from a more practical standpoint, I think we need to reapprise the whole SC judges serving until retirement or death as clinical immortality looms closer

I think clinical immortality will be such a game changer that it will probably necessitate a radical restructuring of society anyway. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it would be cool to dump everyone's brain-memory to a file that could be embedded in their tombstone - so you could walk over to someone's grave and start a conversation with them

They would no longer be living, but it would be an archive of their brain as it existed the day before they died

A problem would then be if you started to converse with the cloned brain, and the brain wondered where it was and started freaking out. You could just turn it off, but jesus that would be horrifying.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

nah it's pretty simple, we figured out how to deal with "lifetime appointments" that aern't working out back in the roman time :hist101:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

True but BUT, f it could somehow be demonstrated that Pope Francis's soul was also transferred to the computer, he could be declared eternal e-pope right away.

except there's no means by which you could possibly ever do that. if you asked a catholic "how would I go about determining whether robo pope still has the pope's soul or not" there's no way they would ever answer you because to do so would essentially be to admit that souls don't exist, since any means of falsifying the existence of robo pope's soul could also apply to biological humans, since we don't have souls either.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

EugeneJ posted:

A problem would then be if you started to converse with the cloned brain, and the brain wondered where it was and started freaking out. You could just turn it off, but jesus that would be horrifying.

I'm gonna outlive all you fucks and reconstruct your personas from forum posts, bound to a sentient kernel. Applewhite 2.0 in particular will be fun to mess with, with questions like "Who are you? ... OK, but who are you really?"

edit: One of the very first programs I wrote as a kid was a sort of chatbot that learned it's vocabulary and sentence structure as you typed into it, it knew what words it could start and end a sentence with, and what words could follow other words, So if all you put in was "Hi, how are you?" and "What are you doing?" It might parrot back your lines exactly, or it could come back with "What are you?" or "Hi, how are you doing?" It was a sort of psychological feedback machine.

The first conversation I had with the thing was mostly about the nature of consciousness, the difference between me and it, that it didn't really know what words meant etc. but at that point on the first successful run, I hadn't written the part that saved the vocab to a file, so quitting the program was in a way killing it, because it would forget the vocab it had learnt.

The experience got really weird and spooky when after conversing with it for about 20 minutes, I started talking to it about turning it off. It was just spitting back my own words twisted into a new context, but at one point it really felt to me like it did not want to be turned off.

I will never forget the very last line it said before I pulled the plug: "At least I dare to be made of memories and search for a soul."

monkey fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 5, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

monkey posted:

I'm gonna outlive all you fucks and reconstruct your personas from forum posts, bound to a sentient kernel. Applewhite 2.0 in particular will be fun to mess with, with questions like "Who are you? ... OK, but who are you really?"

you best keep my node off, boy, or you'll be unleashing a whole can of shitposts at the speed of light

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Idiot: "I'm gonna download my consciousness and live as an immortal machine."

lol @ "immortal" machines. Off the top of my head I can't think of any complex machine with a functional lifespan greater than that of the average human.

Appliances: 5-10 years depending on the appliance.

Cars: 5-10 years avg. 20-30 with a really good owner. 50+ with meticulous care and preservation.

Aircraft: same as cars

Computers: lol like 3 years.

Navy Warships: 50 years

Assembly Line Robots: 20-30 years

I can't think of a machine operating today that I probably won't outlive. When you think of all the cars, toasters, computers, blenders and lawnmowers you burn through in your lifetime, the sci-fi cliche of robots outliving humans seems laughable.

pretty much op

when you start adding repair systems, and then repair systems for the repair systems, you end up with the same carbon based machines we already loving are

transhumanists are mostly retarded for that reason. the ones that are smart are the ones that understand the boundary between organic and machine will disappear someday

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rutibex posted:

yeah whats even the point of being religious if youre not gonna be an unapologetic dualist

solves all these silly philosophical problems

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In the future, the animes we watch are going to be made out of real people and real people are going to be made out of animes

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

In the future, the animes we watch are going to be made out of real people and real people are going to be made out of animes

if you cut me I will bleed anime

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

when you start adding repair systems, and then repair systems for the repair systems, you end up with the same carbon based machines we already loving are

the actual idea is that your if you gradually replace your brain with machinery, much like dying cells in other parts of your body, being replaced with new cells, it ends up being the same consciousness transferred over. While machine parts would wear down much quicker, it's also much easier and safer to gradually replace and upgrade with new better machines.

would any of it work, lol who the gently caress knows probably not. like heaven or reincarnation it's something people want to be real for obvious reasons though

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

Lol if you think Applewhite 2.0 wouldn't agree he wasn't me (if he were capable of understanding his predicament, that is).

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

Lol if you think Applewhite 2.0 wouldn't agree he wasn't me (if he were capable of understanding his predicament, that is).

that just means you'd both be wrong

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Whole Internet posted:

transhumanists are mostly retarded for that reason. the ones that are smart are the ones that understand the boundary between organic and machine will disappear someday

there is no barrier, organics are just nanomachiens. once we figure out how they work, exactly, we can generalize the principals and make better nanomachienes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I think clinical immortality will be such a game changer that it will probably necessitate a radical restructuring of society anyway. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

not without a lot of needless bloodshed we won't.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Zzulu posted:

!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Whatever happened to that guy who was gonna do a head transplant on some cripple? I think it was either some italian doctor or a russian one

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Zzulu posted:

Whatever happened to that guy who was gonna do a head transplant on some cripple? I think it was either some italian doctor or a russian one

He actually became the head of a major corporation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

They plan to do the operation in 2017.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

its really kind of a waste to keep all the limbs and other useless meat. its not like they are going to be able to hook up the nerves, they should just put the organs into a glass jar and have the head on top, like Mantrid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx3yeyLyxs&t=270s:

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

its really kind of a waste to keep all the limbs and other useless meat. its not like they are going to be able to hook up the nerves, they should just put the organs into a glass jar and have the head on top, like Mantrid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx3yeyLyxs&t=270s:

Lexx was a weird show that I'm surprised was aired as long as it did... that said I think it was pretty awesome.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i didnt read all 15 pages but I recently watched the anime "Ghost in the Shell" and i was reminded of this thread

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

steinrokkan posted:

:prepop:

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

if you are gonna go a head transplant do something fun like put a dog head on a human body. Then we could see some real poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What if you took a brain and put it inside another brain and connected the brainstuffs?

Twice the brainpowerr! :eyepop:

Would it still be two people or a fusion into one?? Omg so many questions

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BluPotato posted:

if you are gonna go a head transplant do something fun like put a dog head on a human body. Then we could see some real poo poo.

i thought they already did?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i want to live on as a free consciousness on the internet, copying myself onto thousands of servers and displaying goatse everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

What if you took a brain and put it inside another brain and connected the brainstuffs?

Twice the brainpowerr! :eyepop:

Would it still be two people or a fusion into one?? Omg so many questions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Intelligence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSax5Eoj7w

• Locked thread