Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
okay dennis i believe u but i know ur here so wake up and come tribes with me sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Uhh...I don't know what tribes is. Is that some sort of video game?

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I played SOMA this weekend, I hope to god that science solves the whole ship of theseus issue with brain uploads before we get there because gently caress being stuck in your gross meat bag body and watching a copy of yourself gallivanting around in the cloud or whatever.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
very easy to do these days i think

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
woah

ic

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
scary

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

monkey posted:

I like this answer, but it implies the weather is sentient.

I am unconvinced the weather is a reasoning system, and totally unconvinced the weather is capable of simulating other weather. Would be delighted to be proved wrong on either case.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
when it rains it pours

the emp was like a -1878797% on her part

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Dennis System posted:

The brain has 100 billion neurons, and trillions of dendritic connections between those neurons. That kind of complexity won't be replicable on some sot of computer network for a long, long time. Not in your lifetime. Or even you grandchildren' s lifetimes.

Maybe not in realtime. But assuming physics is computable and the brain is made of physical elements, it should be possible to simulate any physical system on any turing complete machine, given enough time.

Of course, that implies that physical simulation is required to compute brains, which I doubt is the case; after all, we don't - and can't - stimulate individual neurons, but rather do things on a much higher and more abstract level. Merely a system that performs cognition would be sufficient without having to go to all the trouble of neurology.

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
brains in jarz hooked up to computer cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

I am unconvinced the weather is a reasoning system, and totally unconvinced the weather is capable of simulating other weather. Would be delighted to be proved wrong on either case.

but gaia theory is so cool!

i think weather is sentient, it would be so much duller if it wasn't

• Locked thread