Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Waffleman_ posted:

We already dealt with a Joker body double in City, I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Revolver Ocelot triple ruse cruise.

I can't believe Scarecrow is being possessed by the Joker's right arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Wait, you get to drive vehicles, which are very easy to mishandle and kill people, without making some kind of exam/certification in some party of the USA?

Costs in Germany for a driving licences are generally between 1K and 2K Euro, sometimes less.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news, sufferers of GEMA everywhere! I've made a copy of the first video, but it's got me singing instead of Frank Sinatra.

GEMA Approved!

Beautiful, You sang that pretty well.

I've not played this because of two reasons; bad PC port and the fact a friend would not stop complaining about the Batmobile. The first problem seems fixed and I'm not seeing the second thing yet.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

At the time I would have been playing AK on the PC, avoided it it for obvious reasons. I've been looking forward to this LP a while now :v:

Polaron posted:

Well he was just cremated but on the other hand we have Scarecrow running around so chances are pretty much 100% that we'll have a Joker-related hallucination.

God I hope it'll just be the one sequence. The discussion in Origins LP really soured me on the clown.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mightypeon posted:

Wait, you get to drive vehicles, which are very easy to mishandle and kill people, without making some kind of exam/certification in some party of the USA?

Costs in Germany for a driving licences are generally between 1K and 2K Euro, sometimes less.

Most jurisdictions in Canada and the US have graduated licensing systems - in Ontario, driving lessons are optional but can get you a slight discount on your car insurance (which is mandatory for any road worthy vehicle). You still need to pass a test to get your license but you need to work up from whatever a learners permit is referred to, to your full license. Depending on the type of vehicle, the license requirements are different.

It is also very normal for parents to teach their kids to drive here as when you're learning you need to have a fully licensed driver with you. I don't think schools around here teach people to drive any more, either.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mightypeon posted:

In California at least you had to take a written test to show you read the material, that earned you a driving permit. With that permit you could drive with a parent in the passenger seat, but needed three sessions with a licensed driving instructor before you could take the actual test to get your license.

Of course if you're not a minor you can skip all that and just take the test to get your license. :v:

EDIT: To get back onto the topic of Batman, my father started playing this a month ago and I distinctly remember him getting to the "glide to Gorden" section and I left the room, come back thirty minutes later and see him grappling up to talk to Gorden. Never seeing the game before I assumed he had just gone through the tutorial, right until I watched you clear that section in two minutes. :shepface:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 24, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
In Russia you have to take classes at a certified school and pass an exam in a specialized traffic police department. You can usually bribe your way through the former and always - through the latter.

I'm thankful to my instructor, who was kicking my rear end during the 3 months it took me to learn how to drive, as I am now a Russian driver who haven't had a single accident in three years of driving which is goddamn unique

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Depending on the state it also might be sorta-legal for children under the driving age to operate motor vehicles to assist with farming related duties and the like. And even if it's not legal "My child was driving my vehicle on my private land" is enough of a compelling argument to dissuade prosecution.

I know my dad had me drive my grandma's truck when I was old enough to reach the pedals... it did not go well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kurieg posted:

Depending on the state it also might be sorta-legal for children under the driving age to operate motor vehicles to assist with farming related duties and the like. And even if it's not legal "My child was driving my vehicle on my private land" is enough of a compelling argument to dissuade prosecution.

I know my dad had me drive my grandma's truck when I was old enough to reach the pedals... it did not go well.

I used to drive an ATV for my father while working for him. I chained a grate to the back of the machine to churn up the ground.

I was 12 when I started doing this.

Course I was only allowed to do this on private (non-government) jobs. Bad form to do it on government jobs.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Parents teaching the basics to their kids can be seen as a bonding thing for the adult-teenager dynamic, a show of trust by the parent that they are teaching their child how to operate without their supervision.

From my observations, this is more common in rural areas than urban ones. Heck, my dad taught me to drive in the high school parking lot on weekends. Then I had to take my license tests to get an actual license. The laws here in Canada allow for this, else it would be technically illegal as the student would be driving without legal authority.

Ivy's comment probably wasn't about parentage though - she seemed to be complaining about the evasive maneuvers, but didn't know why. So she had to assume that Batman is just a bad driver, and whoever taught him was equally bad.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, here in Italy you can take both the theory and practical driving test without going to a driving school, although that is highly recommended and is how I learned how to drive properly.
Though my parents did teach me the very basics of driving before I went to one of these schools.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
In Alabama you take a short driving test that basically tests if you can hold a wheel, follow the speed limit, and turn around, and then you're good to go. Aside from that test, you need to have had a permit for 6 months. You don't technically need to drive during those 6 months.

And like, transferring this almost no requirement license to another state just required a small written test.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

radintorov posted:

Well, here in Italy you can take both the theory and practical driving test without going to a driving school, although that is highly recommended and is how I learned how to drive properly.
Though my parents did teach me the very basics of driving before I went to one of these schools.

Do you have to wear fingerless leather gloves at driving school?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm thankful to my instructor, who was kicking my rear end during the 3 months it took me to learn how to drive, as I am now a Russian driver who haven't had a single accident in three years of driving which is goddamn unique

Lies. Dashcam videos have taught me that Russia is a land of Mad Max vehicular disasters.

And I don't know why most of you guys are concerned with the well-being of felons committing crimes during a state of emergency.

But maybe my perspective is colored from living through that kind of stuff for the last 6 years so far.

Let's leave it at that Batman should drive obeying every traffic law, park next to the bad guys, and then give them a strongly worded warning and a lesson on how to respect other people's feelings, mmmkay? :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kal-L posted:

Lies. Dashcam videos have taught me that Russia is a land of Mad Max vehicular disasters.

And I don't know why most of you guys are concerned with the well-being of felons committing crimes during a state of emergency.

But maybe my perspective is colored from living through that kind of stuff for the last 6 years so far.

Let's leave it at that Batman should drive obeying every traffic law, park next to the bad guys, and then give them a strongly worded warning and a lesson on how to respect other people's feelings, mmmkay? :v:

I never said that it's not. I'm just lucky to always give myself the time to react to idiots.
A luxury Batman doesn't have :v:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I hope we get more GEMA approved episodes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do you have to wear fingerless leather gloves at driving school?

It's strictly optional, unfortunately.

Driving school here is good to sort all the bureaucracy for the exam too (gently caress, some driving schools even take care of the bribes for the examiners too, and no I'm not kidding), but strictly speaking you don't need to go to one to get your driving license.

The iter is, you do a theory test, if you pass you get the "pink paper" driving permit, valid for six months, and anyone with a driving license at least 10 years old can teach you. After that there's the practical test.

E: I'm fully expecting demon Joker, leading hell's invasion of Gotham City.
The GCPD is going to have a contingency for that too.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 25, 2016

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
Here in Australia you have to pass a theory test to get your learner's permit, but after that anyone with a full license is allowed to teach you. Most people definitely learn from their parents.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In Australia they recently made it harder to actually get the license. There's no rule about who has to teach you, although it's expected you'll get at least a few lessons with a certified instructor. After you take the initial computer test on road rules you have to do 25 hours of driving before you can take the practical test, then you have to do another 25 hours over a period of six months before you can do a Hazard Perception test which works on the idea that you get it 100% correct or you fail. Additionally permits only last 2-3 years, I cannot remember which.

In batman related discussion I actually remembered that if you're driving around in the Batmobile a bunch of rioters do actually hide in doors, and most of the non-militia enemies disappear which is pretty close to what I suggested. Also batman seems to be fine with committing accidental killings, after all how was he to know the goon wasn't going to be picked up off the cold ground after being given a limp, he just refuses to directly kill people. Probably because like Superman once you directly kill one criminal it in theory becomes easier to make that your answer to every criminal, whether this is true or not doesn't matter because it's the idea that this is true that stops them both. To this end Batman doesn't use guns because he isn't planning to kill people, and it's a lot easier to accidentally kill someone with a gun than it is to kill someone with your fist/batarang.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so do foreigners have to go through the same rigmarole in these places if they were already certified in the country they just came from?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Y'all are arguing about how Batman doesn't kill anyone with his murdercar, but what I want to know is how bad things have to be in Gotham before Batman will finally swallow his pride and call Superman. I mean, c'mon Bruce. You saw him this morning on the space station. Just ask him. He'd probably be delighted to help.

And if not Supes, you could probably call a Green Lantern or a Hawkman or something.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Batman will finally swallow his pride and call Superman.

I'm pretty sure the Arkham series is a "Batman Only" continuity. No Superman. No Justice League. Just Batman and his rogues in the worst cesspool in the Western world.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

Omobono posted:

I'm fully expecting demon Joker, leading hell's invasion of Gotham City.
The GCPD is going to have a contingency for that too.

The contingency is the same as always: let Batman sort it out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Marshal Radisic posted:

Y'all are arguing about how Batman doesn't kill anyone with his murdercar, but what I want to know is how bad things have to be in Gotham before Batman will finally swallow his pride and call Superman. I mean, c'mon Bruce. You saw him this morning on the space station. Just ask him. He'd probably be delighted to help.

And if not Supes, you could probably call a Green Lantern or a Hawkman or something.

There's a sort of reason for this. Batman refuses to have Metahuman heroes work in Gotham, with the logic that as bad as Gotham is at least it's never been attacked by Doomsday/Brainiac or a Yellow Lantern. Basically if they agree to not overtly use their powers he's fine with them helping, but none of them are particularly good without said powers. Basically he thinks that letting Superman help would lead to villains only Superman could beat targeting Gotham, same thing with Green Lantern and Hawkman. Which considering most of the big name supervillains in Gotham are a direct result of a nutjob dressed as a bat making regular crime hard to do could end up being true.

Also in this game I think Lex Luthor gets name dropped a bit so a Superman game set in the Arkhamverse might be thing. I don't know how good it would be but it can't be any worse than Superman 64.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 25, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Da_Higg posted:

The contingency is the same as always: let Batman sort it out.

That's a given, but for example in the current scenario the contingency was to evacuate the city, in a day, with no advance warning, while Batman sorts it out. That's an amazing organization they ahve there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A Superman game sounds thoroughly boring. Hell, Superman is thoroughly boring; if you want to gently caress around with his powers, just go play Saints Row 4, but he's really got nothing going for him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news, sufferers of GEMA everywhere! I've made a copy of the first video, but it's got me singing instead of Frank Sinatra.

GEMA Approved!

Thank you. Much apreciated.
The idea to let a 16 year old child behind a driving wheel on a real street with an average adult who isn't even able to break in an emergency sounds insane to me. Driving instructions cars have a second set of pedals for that.

Also it's really weird how Americas driving and drinking ages are 5 years apart. In Germany you can legally buy beer once your 16 (18 for spirits) and legally drive once you're 18.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Air is lava! posted:

In Germany you can legally buy beer once your 16 (18 for spirits) and legally drive once you're 18.

Cars and booze, a winning combination. It's the same in Spain

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Rubber bullets. Honest."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Rubber bullets can be lethal, too

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Rubber bullets can be lethal, too

I know, I was just quoting The Dark Knight Returns, the first time Batman used a tank.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Batman Rocket League is the only way I like Arkham Knight's tank controls.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Air is lava! posted:

Also it's really weird how Americas driving and drinking ages are 5 years apart. In Germany you can legally buy beer once your 16 (18 for spirits) and legally drive once you're 18.

Ah yes, get them drunk before they know how to drive, what a great idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

A Superman game sounds thoroughly boring. Hell, Superman is thoroughly boring; if you want to gently caress around with his powers, just go play Saints Row 4, but he's really got nothing going for him.

It could be fine if you use a different Superman than the iconic boyscout. Maybe the supermullet?

Or maybe Calvin Ellis the Black Superman?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah yes, get them drunk before they know how to drive, what a great idea.
The idea is that they won't try to drive like that; without the whole parents teaching thing, most people have no idea how to handle a car until they go to driving school.
It also helps that cars with automatic transmission are fairly rare so kids would have to figure out the mysteries of the clutch pedal.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 25, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

It could be fine if you use a different Superman than the iconic boyscout. Maybe the supermullet?

Or maybe Calvin Ellis the Black Superman?

A Death of Superman game, where you play all four of the replacements, would be great.

Although that'd just be Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm pretty sure there have been hints to the greater superhero world in previous Arkham games. At the very least, Jack Ryder shows up in City and Asylum and he's actually the superhero known as the Creeper.

Plus City had Solomon Grundy, who I'm pretty sure tends to be more of a Superman villain.

And anyone who thinks Superman is boring hasn't read the correct Superman stories :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

It also helps that cars with automatic transmission are fairly rare so kids would have to figure out the mysteries of the clutch pedal.

jfc you guys are monsters.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Superman game would be fine bearing in mind that the arkham games did throw every available villain at Batman in a single chaotic night with city/island spanning mega schemes. The arkham games did not, in fact, consist of regular boring patrols where Bruce easily kung fu annihilates a lone mugger or two and calls it a night so there's no reason to think that a Superman game would just have him handle mundane issues either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

"Rubber bullets. Honest."

Fun fact: they're called Slam Rounds in game!

Anyway it's time to start getting busy (doing sidequests)

A Busy Night/Polsy

New profiles: The Riddler, Jack Ryder, Lucius Fox

• Locked thread