Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I do appreciate that scarecrow is given his due in AK, at least. He's easily one of my favorite batman villains and he's shown to be very competent and dangerous almost immediately.

Except for the constant evil villain speeches but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm rather curious which things in particular upset or disappointed you.

There's one thing that really pissed me off but we haven't gotten to it yet; given how fast dscruff is going we'll probably hit it in a few videos.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh hey the Mad Hatter has been relegated to DLC this time. He's still a creepy poo poo but it's pretty good.

Batman In Wonderland/Polsy

New stories: False Dawn

Race 7: 2016 - Batmobile Proving Ground/Polsy

If you're wanting to work on drifting mechanics, the Proving Ground track is pretty good. Since it's literally impossible to even finish the drat thing without drifting. Also! At the start of the last video there was another Jokerfied billboard but I didn't leave it on video long enough. Here it is!

On a completely unrelated note that I'm excited about I auditioned for a community theater musical and now I've got parts in Avenue Q. Huzzah!

That DLC was really cool. The shading engine changes were awesome. Also batman killed that man.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Back in business, back on the main story!

Back On The Trail/Polsy

New character(s): Catwoman

New stories: Showtime, On The Prowl

Race 8: 2016 - Waynetech Loop/Polsy

So hey, here's the terrible part of this game; Catwoman is great and still extremely fun to play as, but the game decides to shove her in a closet and have batman rescue her. This is emblematic of Arkham Knight's big problem of treating its female characters like garbage and using them only to spur batman to act.

Crabtree posted:

"Dese days we got more rights than regular people"

Are you sure Frank Millar wasn't involved in this?

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I have to assume that those upset over the treatment of Barbara and Selina are watching this LP blind. I don't see how you can feel that way if you've finished the game.

I have finished the game and it's still pretty terrible.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looks like Hamill got his wish.

He's been pushing for it for ages iirc so he's probably pretty happy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

He's said in recent years that he's done with the Joker with the exception of the Killing Joke. From what I understand, doing Joker's voice hurts his throat. Of course, he said he was done after Arkham City and he came back for this one, so...

I'm like, mildly convinced that that whole bit was him angling for a killing joke thing to be made. "Well, I said I'd retire and you want me back for this game DC, I'll go for it but I have one demand..."

Of course he's probably actually done with it at this point, so.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Martian manhunter game that plays like hitman.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dscruff be a dear and show off the easter egg in the last riddler puzzle room at the orphanage, it's my favorite thing in the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

I can't seem to find it on youtube Got a link?

I'm not finding it either but there's a little back and forth between batman and catwoman if you keep dodging the blades after you've finished the puzzle as catwoman. It's not much, but her delivery is pretty goofy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, destroying the machine is the "good" choice, imo, and it's the one that should be taken. Even with batman's weirdo mentality it's hard to justify curing him, especially since batman has probably killed plenty of people indirectly already.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Speaking of dead companions, has Jason Todd come up at all in the Arkham universe? I don't remember him ever being mentioned, which is really weird considering this features both Dick and Tim. It seems strange to completely gloss over that major death for Batman in these games, for how heavily death has come up in the games. Assuming he exists in this universe/continuity/whatever, I suppose.

He comes up.

berryjon posted:

So, uh, does the game ever explain why Rā's doesn't just toss Talia into a Lazarus pit after he recovers between City and now? 'Cause he was pretty dead as well, so it's not like there wasn't an active Lazarus pit within reach of the League.

Batman blew it up, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As much poo poo as I give the writing for this game I have to at least give it major props for treating the scarecrow the way they do; He's my favorite villain and it's nice to see something treat him as the dangerous terrorist he actually is instead of as a joke (looking at you Nolan).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As a side note I finally got around to playing Arkham Origins: Blackgate and hoo boy I can't imagine having paid for that. It's Bad. Scruff is a better man for not LPing it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I finished the game. 100%. On the PSVita. TWICE. :negative:

I'm sorry to hear that, honestly :(

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Edit: Also, I think it may be worth reminding people that it's okay to like something that is written with questionable or problematic elements, and enjoying something written like that does not make you a Bad Person; just that it's wise to acknowledge and be aware of those elements, otherwise they'll never improve. This is an attack on the lazy writing, not on Batman.

The writing in this is bad, but it's easily one of the best games from a gameplay standpoint, and I personally think the scarecrow stuff is legitimately good; he's handled well in this game, I think.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, we might want to shelve this for a bit, at least until we get a little more plot. I don't think any other sidequests pop up for a while, so not much will stand in the way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

so what was that stuff batman injected himself with

like it must be like heroin to get him back into fighting shape so quickly

I wouldn't be surprised if it was morphine mixed with some coagulants.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Another thing this game does well; the APC chase segments are really fun and the slomo kill cams are very satisfying.

Also the head crush interrogation is really hosed up

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kal-L posted:

For Riddler thugs it makes sense that they're not going to endure bodily harm just to keep some trophies and photo-ops from Batman. The Arkham Knight thugs, though? They're supossed to be this hand-picked force of military bad-asses that have been briefed on Batman, and have been drilled with "Batman won't kill" since day 1, and even then, given some trash info to give up so Batman can waltz right into the next AK trap.

I'm was a bit surprised that batman didn't know where the penguin was hiding out, considering, but with how big and loud the batmobile is I don't think anyone could avoid making GBS threads themselves when he's got the tire parked on your head and he's revving the engine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

So, the secretary doesn't know that Lucius is working with Batman, but Lucius somehow convinced them to stay in the city? What do they think is going on?

Lucius probably said something like "Hey, do you want to make two grand in cash" and then she's working that night, no questions asked.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just some poor dude with an electrical wiring manual trying to figure out how to get it so the cage comes down when the pressure pad is activated and the question marks light up at the same time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The level of :smug: in this picture is astounding.

I'm pretty sure Nightwing is the smuggest person in the entirety of the DC comics universe.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also this sidequest is like, one of the few times the game lets itself have fun and it's great for it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The roach crates around the ship are the worst collectables to find and get in the entire series, in my opinion.

Also weirdly enough the fake fingerprint gloves batman has don't seem as farfetched as son of his other gadgets.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scarecrow :swoon: he's so imposing, it's the best

This is probably one of his best incarnations and I love every second that involves him in this game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I believe scarecrows original plan was to use the cloudburst; however, Stagg kept stonewalling him and he went with plan b, which was to just blow up Ace Chemicals. That failed and he returned to Stagg and found out he was full of poo poo and the cloudburst was fully functional so he beat him up and then stole it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

How long was the game not working on PC by the way?

It still kinda isn't depending on your setup :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I think it's the voice direction. He does good in that scene and in the Harley dlc in city, so he can definitely do it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GladRagKraken posted:

Wow. This story is a god drat dumpster fire.

I will give some credit where it's due: the pattern batman sprays with explosive gel looking less and less like a bat and more and more like a smile is some good foreshadowing. The plot point it was foreshadowing was less good, but the foreshadowing itself was good.

I never noticed this until you pointed it out, that's pretty neat.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Batgirl carries herself with a lot of confidence in the way she's animated; it's kind of refreshing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So why does Batman want Ryder to leave the police station? I think at this point it's way too dangerous for him to leave the city and he doesn't have a Batcave of his own to go to. Where else is he supposed to go that won't get broken into, gassed, or firebombed?

Also, Ryder is a total dick. He didn't seem that bad in City, but I wish that there was a prompt to punch him in the face in this game.

Because he hates him and wants him to go away, which is completely understandable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Also Bats is an rear end in a top hat. "Cure my Rogues Gallery?!? Pffff."

Like gently caress, Fries is the most sympathetic/deserving and yet Freeze is still an ice elemental with an (n)ice wife.

Freeze is the one villain where it's like , just set him up in a Wayne enterprises lab. You get some high level cryotech and possibly a cure for Huntington's, as well as keeping freeze off the streets. It is an all around win.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man that five man fear takedown makes you feel like a king when you do it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

You are awful at spoiler context and should just wipe that post clean and instead talk about the minutae of that plot arc in the Arkham Knight Games thread

A good pun.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

This game isn't Robin: Arkham Knight

I would not play that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The thug's reaction to Robin taunting Harley is hilarious, I love it.

OOOOHHHH

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Did you show off that bonus line in the last challenge of the orphanage, dscruff? It's a favorite of mine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

I got it, no worries.

Wonderful! I find Catwoman's delivery hilarious, so i'm glad you're showing it off.

dscruffy1 posted:

I've never really gotten the feeling of badass from Arkhamverse Alfred, which is unfortunate. The only time he's been physically present was Arkham Origins and he spent more time there tut-tutting and being in distress. Which still fits some characterization, don't get me wrong, but then I remember seeing him try to fend off two thugs with a poker in the DLC and it didn't go great. Ah well.

He isn't, but he does act as a nice character foil to Batman, being snarky as compared to Batman's constant brooding.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fun fact. All three of the grinder traps, you can dodge just by jumping to the ceiling and letting them pass.

I didn't even you could stay on the ground and dodge them til NG+

Like Catwoman said, it's just fun to dodge the blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WFGuy posted:

I don't know how I feel about Professor Pyg (well, other than disgusted). Like, they went halfway in the Pygmalion reference, then stopped, decided he should be a literal pig character, and threw in some Norman Bates maybe? It's a much more muddied character brief than for most of Batman's rogues gallery. Still, if they're going purely for 'creepy serial killer', it worked, so... good job?

He's horrifying and he's crazy in the worst way. His voice actor really loving nails it too.

I really love the clear butcher smock he's got on too.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 29, 2016

• Locked thread