Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I'm one of the "lucky" PC guys - Lucky in that I heard about all the problems with the PC version before I wasted my money (A lesson learned from the last MK game).

I had heard about the major plot spoiler, but wasn't too disappointed that I couldn't play this game.

And then I saw the themed vehicle races.

Are there actual themed Bat-costumes to go with the Batmobiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

I always liked the stories where they mention Alfred had a military background. In TAS he was more of a desk worker than a spy but still got involved in intelligence, in The Dark Knight he mentions being a commando in Burma.

Being a butler is apparently his idea of retirement.

It would be retirement, if he didn't have to work for Batman

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't realize Spawn was in Gotham.

Wouldn't be the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn/Batman

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If we're still sharing Batman Vs Batman Videos, I wish this was in higher quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCXo_Cl8EA

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have a few issues with this plot device meant to bring the Joker back. Mainly because:

1. Why did they even need to do the Joker blood angle to begin with? What was wrong with Batman just getting gassed by Scarecrow throughout the game and Joker just tagging along with Batman and taunting him from his psyche? I mean City ended with Batman feeling guilty about Joker's death and Batman is noted to be extremely obsessive, so that wouldn't have even been a stretch.

The argument could be made that Batman has enough mental training and sheer willpower to overcome the fear gas by itself, but coupled with the Joker Blood it's able to over power him. Maybe we'll get more info later in game.

quote:

2. This retcons things from Arkham City to make less sense, if I understand correctly. So, instead of everyone dying from Joker's Titan poisoning, which apparently should have killed a ton of people given that everyone and their grandmother decided to get a blood transfusion on the night of Arkham City, they're all fine now. Except for the ones turning into the Joker. Which is only five people out of the dozens upon dozens upon dozens that were mentioned to have been suffering from the effects in the previous game. How did they even cure the Titan poisoning for these people? Ra's disappeared, so they couldn't have gotten more blood to make another of Mr. Freeze's miracle cure's.

In City, IIRC, Joker had been supplying his tainted blood to hospitals for weeks, so it wasn't a bunch of people getting transfusions in one night. Presumably, in that scenario, it would take a long time for any of the effects to appear, otherwise Batman would get wise that something was up and spoil Joker's fun. Maybe it was even diluted with clean blood to delay any reaction, which would explain why Batman almost dies over the course of a few hours. He got a concentrated dose. Then it kind of makes sense that 4 people slipped through the cracks or didn't hear about the danger.

I don't recall how they fixed the already infected people though. And apparently even the miracle cure didn't really work if Batman is still feeling effects of it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, what happens if you look at Haluci-joker with detective vision on?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But why? Isn't the whole point of the Joker that no one cares who he is?

Even in Batman TAS when they gave him a face, we still didn't know his name or past. Just what he was doing immediately before he became the Joker.

It's less that "no one cares who he is" and more "Joker isn't that guy anymore". And the Joker doesn't care either.

Really, the only person who cares who the Joker was, is Batman. Because I think deep down, Batman is so retarded that he believes that no one is beyond saving, not even Joker. Everyone else was a person before they became a villain - no one was born a monster. They had a past, and then "something" turns their life upside down and they can't deal with it. Fall into a vat of chemicals, get disfigured, get abused, fall under a voodoo curse.

But Joker doesn't have a past. He could have been created as a crazy monster from day one. If there wasn't anything before his "bad day", then there is nothing for him to return to, no way to "fix" him. There is no before. But if there was? Well, then maybe there's hope for him. There isn't

I might have asked this before, and if so, I apologize, but is the game fun to play? I mean, the combat and predator sections look fun, and I can see some enjoyment to be had out of the Bat-tank sections. But the plot being sucky (minus what I think is a pretty clever Joker mechanic, regardless of how we got here), the extreme focus on the Bat-tank, the schizo Save the City/RIDDLER DEMANDS YOUR ATTENTION mission structure, the lack of challenge rooms IIRC (WTF), the entire PC debacle...

I mean, you seem to be having a good time, is it actually enjoyable, or are you making the best of a bad situation?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Skin tight vinyl: totally classy.

Comparatively classy. Kind of like tuxedo t-shirt vs sweat stained wife beater. No one would ever say the former is "classy", but compared to the latter?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Meant to ask this before, can you blow up the penguin caches without closing the vaults or will it say the explosion is too big?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

You know I kinda like this part of the plot working with Ivy against scarecrow. It makes some attempt at sense, if the cloudburst goes off it could damage the plants so Ivy has a reason to listen, and even if it is stupid as hell it's at least interestingly stupid. This is something you wouldn't predict.

Reminds me of working with Freeze in City and I'm guessing it will have a similar payoff. "Oh, thanks for helping me out Batman, now for my inevitable betrayal"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

One more All Star Superman question. What the gently caress is that helmet that lady working with Lex supposed to be?

I think the helmet was supposed to allow her to control robot tanks with her mind.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, I know we're down to the last APC, but is there a Batmobile upgrade that will make your lock-on faster, or make the missiles hit harder? Seems like there should be.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I kind of like how each Joker-lite is behind the corresponding door - Big Al, Christina Bell and Johnny Charisma

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

What was the deal with Jason Todd that made him so hated, anyway? Was it just that he was a new Robin that wasn;t Dick Grayson or was he sort of insufferable?

Jason was kind of a replacement for Dick because in an oddity for comics, Dick grew up into his own character. He grew out of being Robin and grew into discount Batman. But there's a rule with Batman, that he needs a Robin (usually), so he wasn't going to be without one for long. As Kurieg stated above, some comic fans and/or writers who used to be fans, hate change. Except when it ticks all their boxes, then change is good. Until it's not, and then it's reset time. Anyway, someone at DC at this time said Dick gets to go do his own thing ('cause Nightwing is going to be huge, mark my words) so Robin's going to be someone new. Someone different, because if it's the same as Dick, why not just make Dick, Robin again? (If we're being technical, originally Jason was a carbon copy - orphaned acrobat circus kid - but that was retconned pretty quickly)

Jason was weird, because right from the start, he was an odd choice for sidekick. For one, he wasn't an orphan. For another, the first time we see him, he's trying to steal the tires off the Batmobile. That's loving ballsy. I don't know if it was due to fans or just DC being DC, but the takeaway seemed to be "Dick Grayson was a goodie-two-shoes right up until he left to become Nightwing. What if he was a jerk from the start?" Jason didn't listen, he defied orders, he was hot headed, and probably killed a guy. Some fans (and possibly writers) said, "Why does this guy get to sass talk Batman like that? He's a bad example of a side kick, he's too independent. This needs to be fixed."

So it was kind of a mix between "He's not Dick Grayson, our golden boy" and "This guy is a douche bag, why is Batman putting up with his poo poo?"

And that's when the vote came in. Jason was killed off, and stayed dead for 17(?) years, because it happened before coming back from the dead was a regular occurrence. And also because nobody cared enough about him to bring him back.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

OldMemes posted:

This subplot would have worked better if they'd tied it more closely to Scarecrow, rather than 'oh this issue Batman has been working on for weeks just so happend to become an issue the same day Scarecrow strikes'.

Maybe have something like have the infected show up after the evacuation, and it turns out Scarecrow was working on Joker's blood after Arkham City, and he's made a new strain of Joker toxin that stays dormant until people are exposed to fear gas, then it Jokerises them? Then you could have some piece, where I dunno, GCPD turns out to be infected and you have to make a cure for Gordon in a minigame or something. It would anchor the subplot to the main game's themes and ideas more solidly, as it stands this feels like a part of the script that needed another draft.

As for the Arkham Knight, I would have had him be an anti-hero, with him helping and hindering Batman at certain points. You could even keep it ambigous if there really is an Arkham Knight, or if Batman is hallucinating him. Scarecrow offers a lot of possibilties in a video game, but it doesn't feel like they're using them to the fullest potenial.

I want to play your game. It sounds a lot better than this one. Remove the Batmobile based Riddler challenges (but still use it to navigate and take down APCs, etc) and I'm all the way there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So at the end you have Penguin, Firefly and Two-Face locked up. Does the dialogue change at all depending on what order you toss them in there? It seems like after a point you can do their missions in any order.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, they could certainly replace the Arkham Knight with Deathstroke easily and not lose much.

Mechanically, yeah. But Deathstroke is just a merc - he can be defeated with Bruce Wayne's superpower: Money.

The knight seems to have a more personal stake in this night's events.

EDIT: yeah, I'm changing that slightly, as it might be spoilery. Sorry.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 25, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IMJack posted:

Tommy might be really useful when Batman wants to be seen rescuing "Bruce Wayne" from some kind of peril.

They kind of did that in the comics. After Final Crisis, Batman/Bruce Wayne is "dead" (time displaced, but you know, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other). Dick Grayson takes on the Bat-mantle, and Tommy Elliot is enlisted by the Justice League under pain of death to impersonate Bruce Wayne until they figure out a solution.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Jessica Cruz is a little bit crazy as she uses the Ring of Volthoom and has PTSD from watching all her friends get killed. A goddamn evil Green Lantern Ring that feeds off personal fears and can easily kill you from the inside out. What the gently caress is it with New 52 and cursed artifacts?

Was that or was that not Power Ring (evil alternate universe Green Lantern)'s, ring?

PhazonLink posted:

It's kinda a completely different situation, but Bats definitely could have been softer.

I didn't see anyone else point this out, so I'll give it a shot. Batman is not trying to comfort Langstrom. He's trying to justify his own imminent behavior. "It's not your fault. It was the Joker Blood that made you do something crazy. Yeah, you killed a guy, but that wasn't you."

In a weird way, Batman is confronting "Crazy, destructive, murderous, 'Bat-man'"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I want joker to slip in the shower and crack his head wide open on the rim.

That's stealing from the Hal Jordan playbook, and Joker only steals from the best.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IMJack posted:

Why would Gordon be using a SWAT radio that the comms room couldn't decrypt in the first place? I first figured this might implicate Branden, the SWAT captain from Arkham Origins, who would certainly have a beef with the Bat.

Given how easily Batman decrypted the signal, I'm just guessing the guy at the comm station was really stupid.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

WFGuy posted:

They didn't even change his voice. The Arkham Knight spends most of the game screaming at Batman in a slightly-modulated Troy Baker voice, and oh look! Jason Todd sounds like Troy Baker. How on earth could Batman genuinely never think of Jason when considering it? Even not as a suspect initially, just "Man, this guy who knows my every detail and hates my guts sounds exactly like Jason, what a coincidence!"

I was thinking about this the other day, and this Batman is actually the worst. Here's the thing, Batman is the "world's greatest detective", a title often given to Sherlock Holmes. Holmes was a huge inspiration to Batman. Methodical, logical, but not completely foreign to the idea of the supernatural.

I bring this up because there is a well known Holmes quote "When you eliminate the impossible, that which remains, no matter how unlikely, must be the truth." There are (in this world) about 6 people who know Batman's secrets. His armored chest, how his tools and weapons work, the identity of his friends and family, and so on. 5 of them are working with him right now (Alfred, Lucius, Dick, Tim and Barbara) and the 6th one is "Dead"(Jason). Three hours ago he beat the poo poo out of an entire cult whose shtick is coming back from the dead. He's seen it himself.

Also, this Batman never got Jason's dead body, but a video from the Joker is enough to convince him? What the poo poo?

On an unrelated note, wasn't Babs tied to the wheelchair by her hands? I mean, she crashed a van she was held hostage in and managed to crawl away. If he hands were free, you'd think that she'd grab for Crane as he pushed her off the side. Unless he was using fear based ropes of some kind. That's a comic book thing, right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: how did Jason know where Oracle was? According to the season of infamy dlc, she wasn't Oracle until long after he was out of the picture. When Tim Drake was Robin.

Because he knew enough to know that Barbara was Batgirl, Batgirl is no longer around, but Batman is being helped by a young woman. Also, Oracle/Barbara lives in that clock tower, it's not just her base of operations. It probably isn't too hard to figure out where someone lives, especially in comic book land.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Felinoid posted:

Well, the demasking has consequences to the bat family too. Alfred and Lucius are for sure going to be called in for questioning on suspicion of being accomplices to his vigiliante-ism, as well as anyone else with any power in any of his companies. If Tim's still officially his ward (and not like moved out into an apartment somewhere) they're going to take a long hard look at him too, and should probably figure out he's Robin in about two seconds, what with his "disguise". The only one I don't see being under suspicion is Oracle, and that's simply because Daddy's gonna keep his mouth shut about her involvement and there's no direct link. Hell, Gordon himself will probably be investigated too if they find the tiniest string between him and little Brucie. It's gonna be a freaking circus.

Unless, y'know, comic books. v:v:v

Well, first off, I'm guessing that the billionaire industrialist has enough sway to disappear himself, and Alfred if necessary. He's white, he's rich, he's powerful, and he knows Superman. The two of them can just go live on the Watchtower with the League.

Lucius just ran Wayne tech and doesn't even have any direct links to Batman. He can always shrug and say "I thought it was odd Mr. Wayne would order kevlar by the ton, but he didn't pay me to ask questions. Maybe he just needs a lot of really strong condoms."

Oracle probably has Gordon keeping some of the heat off of her. Anyone who knows the connection between Barbara and Batgirl/Oracle is either a) Bat-family b) a loyal GCPD officer or c) an unreliable villain.

Tim is an adult in this reality, and probably no longer a ward, though IIRC, he was legally adopted by Bruce and his full name is Timothy *something* Drake-Wayne. Again, like Lucius, he can just say that Bruce kept weird hours and he just thought he was being eccentric. Doesn't exactly dodge the Robin bullet, but my guess is that Gordon can fake up some alibi or another. poo poo, have Dick (or Jason) pop in wearing an old Robin costume and appear with Tim at some public event. "He can't be Robin! I'm Robin!"

Jason is still presumed dead, so even if someone figured out he was a Robin, no one would likely add this up.

Gordon probably has the most to lose, but in any scenario, I doubt anyone would testify against him. Yeah, he paired up with the lunatic vigilante - and saved this city and possibly the world a dozen times over. Extenuating circumstances, blah blah blah. Or, since Batman is "dead" anyway, he could say he was coerced. Who's going to argue that you were NOT intimidated by Batman into complying with his requests? Sure, it kind of shits on his memory, but, you know, "Hero this city needs..."

TL:DR - Yeah, comic books

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kind of a neat side by side comparing the remastered edition vs the "standard" PC version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXmZUtzacU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Something about the remaster makes a lot of the characters look like action figures. Two face looks better lit and more detailed, but the catwoman's outfit looks somehow "faker". And yeah, Ra's' tattoos look way too crazy. It looks less like "magic" and more like "radioactive".

I will say the outdoor stuff looks better by and large, but so many things look like they lost detail. The joker's gloves look plastic now because they lost their stitching. The clothes all look less like fabric and more like plastic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think the episodic format could work if you copied the latest Hitman style. If they were to do a Batman 66 episode or series of episodes, do you play it completely straight, or do you indulge in the camp of it all?

Also, while you guys were talking, I thought about Bane done in '66 style, where he's literally just a Luchador, but done up like the guy in the Juicy Drop candy commercials. You know, like that really rear end-backwards 60's style "Ooh, Helen, have you ever tried tay-cohs?" kind of way. Have his fight be in a wrestling ring, but it's decorated with pinatas and there's a mariachi band playing. Like it's racist, but not out of malice, just stupidity.

King Tut would be fun, because you could do a special stealth room where he has to be the last one standing, and you have to hit him on the head so he goes back to normal.

'66 Hush would be fun from a story perspective. I'm picturing Commissioner Gordon is talking to someone off camera, Batman bursts in because Gordon called him, and it turns out the commissioner wanted to get Batman involved because Bruce Wayne here thinks someone out there is impersonating him.

Also, I hate to bring it up, but if Adam West is unwilling or unable to voice Batman, Comedian Mike Toomey does a great West impression. I mean, really him and Burt Ward and Julie Newmar are the only living cast regulars left. Be nice to have if at all possible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You don't need to watch "Rises" again. It doesn't improve upon repeat viewings.

Also, yes, "Comics are dumb". Any time my wife asks me about comic book stuff I usually have to preface it by saying this same thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Platinum games available on PC:

Transformers: Devastation - Very fun, hoping to LP it myself
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Very poor apparently, save your bucks

Wow, that ending was a huge disappointment.

You didn't mention (unless I missed it), any plans for the Red Hood DLC? I mean, not that I expect it to be worth the time and effort, and you've already done your part.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

It's out? Should I watch it?

General consensus is - The book was better.

See also: Conroy and Hamil being the only good parts
Animation is really poor
Extras don't add anything other than run time
and I've heard, not seen, not confirmed myself but spoiling a big editorially added plot point is that Batman and Barbara were in a relationship, changing the tone of the story from "You crippled my friend" to "You crippled my girlfriend" Again, I didn't see it, but I had heard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Omobono posted:

How's Telltale Batman? More precisely, is it horribly and stupidly grimdark? Any joybuzzers, mad grins, squirting flowers or chattering teeth in sight, ready to take over the plot?

I like it. If you've played one of TT's games before you have a pretty good idea of what to expect here.

The Batman combat scenes are handled entirely through QTE. If you are not down with that, you won't be happy here.
The other Batman scenes we've been given so far are a tour through detective mode, kind of like what we got in Origins. I hope we get more of it.
There is another fun use of it towards the end of this episode that's a little thin, but if it comes with more options later, I'll be a happy boy. I'll spoil it, because I think it's fun, and it's not huge. Batman stakes out a party where armed guards are stationed throughout. Using the detective gimmick, you combine guards with means to take them out: Smashing into a table or using a pillar; Throw the big heavy art piece at him, or take him down through a grate. On the down side, all of these guards only had one connection to make, except one that you could choose between one of two environmental items.

It is a bit on the short side too, as I blasted through episode 1 in a bit over 2 hours, so the whole thing probably clocks in somewhere around 10-12 total. But I enjoyed the full ride.

The majority of the episode you are playing Bruce Wayne, dealing with friends and not so friends. As stated before, you can either be a complete dick to everyone, be Batman '66 levels of polite or be somewhere in-between. As is typical of these games, seemingly small choices can have big impacts later.

I heard some people say that there are problems with the PC version, but I was fine. I only noticed one bug, which is that if you access part of the Batcomputer before the game tells you to do so explicitly, it got stuck. It was both early and immediately after a save point so not a huge deal, but still, WTF?

Also, the Bruce Wayne model along with the art style make him look kind of like Sterling Archer, so that kind of made it a little weird for me.

As far as any Joker Jacking goes, no sign of him, and if the previews of future things are to be believed, I doubt he's going to show up at all in this. He might come around for a sequel, but looks clear for now.

• Locked thread