Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It seems that holding up a holographic display of the Commisoner's daughter and the butler of one of Gotham's most famous men out in the open where anyone can see it is a good way to help people to figure out Batman's identity, but I get why they didn't want Oracle to be a voice only role again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Batman does care about the city though, Bruce Wayne is always shown as donating to charity, and helping out with social work to stop people getting into petty crime by hiring them. But some problems, like Scarecrow, can only be deal with by outsmarting them, and hitting them really, really hard.

The World's Greatest Detective monkier is a left over from the Golden Age of comics, when Batman was a lot pulpier and less superhero-y. I like though, and its fun when a good writer plays up that aspect of the character with a good mystery/crime story, rather than just superhero stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Troy Baker is fun as game Lego Batman. There's a bit in Lego Batman 3 where Batman disguises himself as the Joker, and Troy Baker is doing his Batman doing a bad impression of his version of the Joker (Baker has been the Joker a few times, he's basically doing a Mark Hamill impression, but there's some difference). And it's amazing.

Kevin Conroy is the best Batman, because he balances the Bruce Wayne/Batman aspects of the character so well.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

on the other hand, looking at how loving cringe inducing grim and tough and gritty every rocksteady character has been (watch the loving calender man video last lp for god's sake)

Calendar Man's role in Arkham City is pulled pretty much directly from The Long Halloween, and its probably the best way to use the character after the Silver Age.

For some reason, I never really liked Tara Strong's take on Harley. Strong is a good actress, but her performance just feels a little....off? Maybe it's the writing.

Nolan North is amazing as the Penguin, its one of the best takes on the character yet..

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Catwoman works best as anti-hero, when she's confident and sassy, has a comlicated relationship with Batman, and likes steals from bad guys to amuse herself, but still has a strong moral compass.

They get that down pretty well, but how the character is protrayed, and how the character is used in the plot are two different issues.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I do like that Catwoman's response to all this is just mild annoyance and :rolleyes:'really'. It's very in character, though her having to wait quietly until Batman deals with Riddler isn't. Also, Riddler seems a lot more unhinged this game - some of thugs comment on it.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Arkham Origins trying to force a really rigid timeline on the Arkham universe was a bad idea. Asylum works well as 'Batman has been active for X amount of time (he knows his stuff by this point, and he's had loads of adventures). It's almost like an alternative version of the DCAU. Origins trying to tie everything together and making the Christmas Eve where EVERYTHING happened, and having Batman only active for a few years hurts the character arcs, especially Barbara's one.

Although the benefit to the Arkham games being their own distinct canon, rather than another Batman story means that Arkham City and Knight feels like they have more narrative impact. Knight feels like a proper climax so far.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Asylum feels very much like 'another Batman story' than its own seperate universe. The only thing that really affected the sequels was Titian, and the Joker's use of it. If the story had been told in a comic, it wouldn't have affected the status quo, they'd be able to go back to normal afterwards with a few handwaves to explain away why Joker is back to normal after.

I can imagine the plot of the first game being a story arc in Batman or Dectective comics or something. Like in a solication it would be:

-Detective Comics # 745
- 'Night at the Asylum' Part Six
- With Titan running through his and the Joker's veins, can Batman defeat a monster, while resisting becoming one himself?
- Also, what is the secret of the 'Arkham City' and what shocking consequences will it have for the Dark Knight?
- The exciting conclusion to 'Night at the Asylum' !
AUG 2009 $2.99 35 Pages

Or something like that.

And as much as Catwoman getting kidnapped might be a bit uninspired, her unimpressed responses to it are hilarious, and fit the character really well.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The voice acting is excellent. I didn't like Troy Baker's Arkham Knight at first, but he's growing on me - I like the balance between angry and smug he's doing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I think the car scene is the angriest Kevin Conroy's Batman has ever been.

The interrogations make scene, since the thugs in these games aren't doing what they're doing for ideology. They're mostly petty criminals, sadistics and opportunists looking to make some cash. Even Arkham Knight's guys are mercenaries, and I don't think he's paying them enough to stay silent when there's a dude about to roll a tank on your head. The only enemies driven by ideology are the League and Bane's mercs in Origins, and you can't interrogate them at all as far as I'm aware.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I guess if the oil guy was looking after his daughter, he'd be reclusive and be out of the loop knowing about Gotham's criminals. I do wonder if the Joker appeared to him normally when posing as Jack White, or if he put on flesh coloured make-up to hide his skin, like in the 1989 film? That is a rad top hat he has.

I do like how focused this feels, and it seems to exploit the dual combat gimmick in a better way than the main game does.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

I'm also not sure where the general dislike for the VA's take on her that i've seen elsewhere came from. Her Quinn voice sounds brittle and super fake, but that works for someone putting on an act like she is.

There's nothing wrong with Tara Strong's take on Harley Quinn, it's just that she followed Arleen Sorkin, who originated the role, so she's going to be compared to her performance. It's like Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker in Arkham Origins. They did a fine job as Batman and the Joker, but you're always going to compare them to Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil because they played the parts before, and for a longer amount of time.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Batgirl DLC feels like a slice of life, 'what things are like for the Arkham-verse Bat characters when the entire city isn't in total collapse' story. It was...well done.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It does have that sense of finality that you can only really do in these divergant adaptation series. Obivously, in the comics, Bruce Wayne can never have a proper ending, but in stuff like this, The Nolan films and the DCAU, you can, it feels like this version of Batman has grown and changed over the course of the Arkham series - something comic Batman can't do to that much of a degree.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I think it's pretty clear by now the Knight is kind of an idiot and not at all threatening or intimidating.

Troy Baker seems to be playing him as more angry than anything else.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Lex Luthor is kind of like that - he's so smart and rich, that if he put his resources and effort into it, he could solve a massive amount of the DC universe's problems. But he wastes it all by obessing over Superman. If he focused himself, he could be a great hero, but he choses not to.

I think Two-Face has been rehabilated a few times, with the Harvey Dent personality becoming dominant, but he tends to revert back to being Two-Face when the editors demand it. The again, if Batman's villians are cured, that limits the stories people want to tell with them. It's the great paradox of comics - people want the characters to grow and change to keep them interesting, but they don't want them to change to the point where they feel too different to thier classic/most popular versions.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ivy just really likes plants. The problem is, she's fine with murdering people who she thinks have wronged nature, and her standards are a bit.....overzealous.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I like how in Lego Batman 2, Croc was just a regular minifig, but in 3, he's got a unique 'big figure' model.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Troy Baker's Harvey Dent/Two Face is great, shame he's so underused in the Arkham games.

I like the how the duality is done in this version. Harvey Dent isn't a good person, but he's more reasonable and articulate than the more violent and angry Two-Face personality. A lot of the time, it's more black and white split, so a Two-Face with a bit more greyness is interesting.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 15, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's a shame Renee Montoya doesn't appear in the Arkham games, her relationship with Harvey Dent is really interesting when they share screen (page?) time.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

There's a poster in BSS who loves Jason Todd, most other people are pretty indifferent to him. It wasn't just knee jerky 'it's not Dick Grayson' - people loved Tim Drake and Damian Wayne after all.

Harley's Revenge is canon to the main game right? Harley beat Nightwing in that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I don't think the Joker infection is meant to be a literal biological infection, but a memetic one.

Joker's blood is already poisonous because of his origin, and years of exposure to joker toxin and other chemicals. Adding Titan to the mix only made it worse. Plus, living in Gotham, the Joker would be a massively important public figure, the focus of the media and such - the entire city is staturated with the Joker persona, the blood was just a way inside people's heads. They're not exact copies, but bits and pieces of the Joker's persona

It's still silly, but makes more sense than 'replicating person virus'.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

This subplot would have worked better if they'd tied it more closely to Scarecrow, rather than 'oh this issue Batman has been working on for weeks just so happend to become an issue the same day Scarecrow strikes'.

Maybe have something like have the infected show up after the evacuation, and it turns out Scarecrow was working on Joker's blood after Arkham City, and he's made a new strain of Joker toxin that stays dormant until people are exposed to fear gas, then it Jokerises them? Then you could have some piece, where I dunno, GCPD turns out to be infected and you have to make a cure for Gordon in a minigame or something. It would anchor the subplot to the main game's themes and ideas more solidly, as it stands this feels like a part of the script that needed another draft.

As for the Arkham Knight, I would have had him be an anti-hero, with him helping and hindering Batman at certain points. You could even keep it ambigous if there really is an Arkham Knight, or if Batman is hallucinating him. Scarecrow offers a lot of possibilties in a video game, but it doesn't feel like they're using them to the fullest potenial.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, on a mental and emotional level, Riddler is not doing well at all this time round.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When the game was annouced, I thought that Tommy Elliot was going to be the Arkham Knight, but he's fixated on the Waynes, not Bruce Wayne. His freakout when Bruce Wayne reveals he's Batman is great, it's like Kevin Conroy is playing like it's someone trying to copy Bruce Wayne's speech patterns, but not getting it quite right, like how his face is a copy of Bruce's, but not quite right.

Hush hasn't been used massively well in the comics outside the original story, but I liked this take on the character.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I decided to fire up Arkham Origins: Blackgate and I quickly remembered why I put it down. The game is insanely boring. When you're not wondered lost through the badly laid levels, you're taking part in really unispired combat. I understand why you skipped it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The big problem with the New 52 was the pointless retcons and abridging of continuity, which a lot of writers ignored because the editors didn't tell everyone what they were. Flashpoint was a decent alternative universe story, but not one that should have been the cornerstone of a New DC universe.

In terms of reboots 'everyone bands together to fight the anti-monitor and the Universe is made whole' is more epic than 'the flash is an idiot who breaks the universe because he forgot how time travel works'.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I like how the Riddler drops out of the boss fight in a huff until you solve all the riddles. That's how you combine gameplay mechanics with story, because it seems really, really in character, and something the Riddler would actually do.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Pyg works the best in the context of Morrison's run. You had this work on Batman, which took Bruce on a very personal and painful journey, then sent him off into a wierd, metafictional journey. The the Batman & Robin run that followed it was an odd juxaposition - Dick becomes Batman, and he's much more fun loving than Bruce, but he had to work with Damian Wayne as Robin, who is the 'dark and broody' type, and the two already had a strained relationship. The fun of the run comes from them bickering and slowly coming into a mutual respect and understanding. Morrison's Batman & Robin was also kind of a homage to the silver age, so you had this bright and colourful art, and these crazy gimmick villians, while also having a complex mystery and some dark places.

And yes, the Joker does cut open his own tongue, but there's a point, it's a deliberate '2 edgy' take on the character. Morrison's take on the Joker is that all versions of the character are valid, and that the Joker's true superpower is that he can adapt his physce to any situtation (or something like that). At the start of Morrison's run, he's the lcassic Joker, but then he gets shot and finds out about the plans of the Black Glove, so to keep up with this new threat, he undergoes a literal metamorphosis to become a new persona, including mutalating himself. Then, when the threat is gone, he reverts back to a more traditional 'take' on the Joker.

It's a great run with a lot of high concept ideas, but I'm not sure how well they transfer outside of that particular series.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Even if the Justice League showed up, the entire city is engulfed in a chemical weapon that drives people exposed to it murderously insane. I can see why Superman isn't exactly rushing to dive in. At this point, Gotham is effectively cut off from the outside world.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Considering how powerful Superman is, I don't think they want to guess if he's immune to the fear gas that sends you insane and murderous.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They've stated several times that gas masks are useless against this strain of fear gas.

Superman isn't immune to things that affect his brain. He's ok with stuff like poison gas and stuff that affects his body, but mental stuff still affects him. He's been mind controlled by Ivy's powers before, for example.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't think it was that bad - it fits Ivy's character of her caring for nature over everything else, and it's not like it was a cheap plot twist to give Batman motivation or anything.

I think people misunderstand what 'fridging' means. It doesn't refer to any act of killing off a female character, but rather when a female character is killed off solely to give the male character motivation. Ivy was fairly fleshed out, with her own motivation and arc - it's bit lazy, but it's not putting her 'in the fridge' as it were. Barbara was fridged, Ivy was not.

The fact Batman can sealth in what is basically his own tank :allears:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 3, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When they were promoting Arkham Origins, they made it sound like the Joker would only have a small part in the story, basically a cameo, and that Black Mask would be the main villian, but nope!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

If the Arkham Knight had been written more like this earlier, he would have been a better villain. So are they saying that Jason didn't get put in a pit in the Arkham-verse, but the Joker faked his murder on film? I'm confused as to how the timeline of that actually works then.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, retcons are messy. I think another poster said that Arkham Asylum wasn't meant to be it's own seperate canon, but rather 'just another Batman 'story' that could fit in most versions of the DC universe. Then Origins kinda made things confusing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I really like the disapproving way Batman growls 'Slade'. If there was one element worth bringing back from Origins, it was Slade WIlson - I like the bit at the end of that game where he's just chilling in his cell doing push-ups while the riot goes on, because no-one is paying him anymore, so he can't be bothered to take part.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

An idea that is a big part of the Batman mythos is that WHO Batman is doesn't matter. Of course, only Bruce Wayne has the training, skills, money and willpower to be the Batman, but Batman represents an idea - that people in Gotham don't have to be afraid of crime and corruption, because if one man can stand up, anyone can. Granted, it's an idea that works better in versions with less supervillians (like the Nolan films), since it's easier to overcome fear of a cop on the take than it is a giant crocodile man who lives in the sewers and eats people, but still.

That newspaper headline is great.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Didn't Bane imply In Asylum that he'd broken Batman's back before, so a version of Knightfall had already happened in the Arkham-verse? I think it was a combat taunt or a game over screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wally Wingert is the best Riddler since Frank Gorshin. He just nails it.

• Locked thread