Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, you made the thread. Good thing I checked the LP forum today.

Seeing that reminds me of this dumb comic I found last night that sounds exactly like something Harley would say. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Harvey Bullock, maybe? I know he's not acrobatic or anything, but he's fought against criminals physically before, right? Or was that just in TAS?

citybeatnik posted:

They had to change one of the lines in that episode, since it seemed that Mark Hamill was incapable of saying "well haven't YOU two been a pair of busy beavers" without it being entirely too obvious what they were getting up to.

The innuendo in that line is priceless.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I like it better than the Beyond suit from City, which just looked weird with Bruce's bulging musculature.

Isn't that how it looked in the pilot of Beyond?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They'd need to make Inque the best boss fight in the game. I think Terry beat her on his own exactly once in the entire series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

First time Bruce froze her, second time she got distracted by the guy she inqued, third time her daughter injected her with a solvent, fourth time Superman splattered her into chunks. So, he's beat her on his own exactly never.

That's one of the things I liked about Beyond, even though he was strong enough to benchpress an armored car, so were half of the people he fought, requiring him to think his way out of fights. Still Terry killed a lot of people.

The second time around he beat Inque. Aaron happened to be there, though, so he got the Electric Batarang out of her before Terry could apprehend her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHf79BhJ7gc

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speedball posted:

If Gotham hadn't given into its fear of a weapon, it wouldn't be under attack by a weapon... I like it.

Scarecrow's good at plans like there. There was a DCAU tie-in comic where Scarecrow announces to Gotham that he's going to unleash a fear gas that will send everyone into a panic. Not long after, everyone goes into a panic while Batman and Robin go around in gas masks trying to figure out how he's released the new strain.

Of course, as it turns out, there is no new strain. Just telling people that he was going to do it was what sent them into a panic in the first place.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speedball posted:

I always liked the stories where they mention Alfred had a military background. In TAS he was more of a desk worker than a spy but still got involved in intelligence, in The Dark Knight he mentions being a commando in Burma.

Yeah, he was trusted enough to have half of a missile launch code and was able to avoid giving it away for the most part even while drugged.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Gonna be Jean Paul Valley, and he's gonna have a crazy stupid '90s Batman costume by the end of the game.

The one from Origins?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Oh good god, are those all fakeouts that have appeared in DC comics canon?

Comics are weird.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

He's never been mentioned before, iirc.

Joker says "Didn't I kill you already?" to Tim Drake during Joker's Carnival in Arkham City.

There was also a line about "It looks like you could use a new sidekick" in Asylum, with no other mention of Robin in that game, though that was eventually retconned since Tim Drake was apparently active during that time period.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, erm...why was Oracle in Gotham, again? Couldn't she have relocated and provided support from Metropolis, or Keystone, or literally any other city not under occupation by Scarecrow's army?

Because the plot needed her to be kidnapped. That's honestly the only thing I can think of, because I had the exact same reasoning as you on this. Her physical presence doesn't seem to add anything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

Speaking of predictable, we all saw this obvious cliffhanger coming and yet I'm still disappointed, game. Really? You couldn't just let it go?

Honestly, they kind of had to have it happen given how Arkham City and HQR went, especially since Scarecrow is the main villain.

But we can discuss actual execution of his appearance as we go along.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Jeez, they're not kidding when they say Batman's writers make him too OP. Even when Batman loses, Batman STILL wins :cripes:...

I know you say that as a joke, but Justice League Batman loses and still ends up winning there. :v:

Also, I can't believe Justice Lord Batman isn't a suit in any of these games!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Joker in Origins was all "Woo, blowing up stuff is great." for most of the game. It wasn't until the second fight with Bane that he even brought up trying to get Batman to kill someone, and that's literally the last 15 minutes of the game's main plot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have a few issues with this plot device meant to bring the Joker back. Mainly because:

1. Why did they even need to do the Joker blood angle to begin with? What was wrong with Batman just getting gassed by Scarecrow throughout the game and Joker just tagging along with Batman and taunting him from his psyche? I mean City ended with Batman feeling guilty about Joker's death and Batman is noted to be extremely obsessive, so that wouldn't have even been a stretch.

2. This retcons things from Arkham City to make less sense, if I understand correctly. So, instead of everyone dying from Joker's Titan poisoning, which apparently should have killed a ton of people given that everyone and their grandmother decided to get a blood transfusion on the night of Arkham City, they're all fine now. Except for the ones turning into the Joker. Which is only five people out of the dozens upon dozens upon dozens that were mentioned to have been suffering from the effects in the previous game. How did they even cure the Titan poisoning for these people? Ra's disappeared, so they couldn't have gotten more blood to make another of Mr. Freeze's miracle cure's.

3. The Joker himself is no longer a villain. I mean everyone who comes into contact with Joker's blood begins to act erratic and unlike themselves, right? So, I guess that the guy who originally became the Joker is a victim of that effect, too. So, now, instead of the Joker being an awful villain, he's just as much of a person who was affected by the blood as these four people who are quarantined. But we're still supposed to hate him, because...

That being said, Joker hallucination following Batman around and loving with him all night is good stuff. It's like he's a co-LPer!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Bats also has some Ra's al Ghul in in him IIRC, the cure was based on Ra's blood?

Dude's a walking petridish.

Let's not forget Copperhead's poison and Mad Hatter's "tea".

If there's one thing I'm amazed by, it's the fact that Batman manages to get drugged in all of the Arkham games. Kinda makes that conversation with Oracle about him possibly getting dosed by Crane without realizing it and killing someone (Identity Thief sidequest) a bit funnier in hindsight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Batman gave Robin a sample of his infected blood, and sent him to have Oracle figure out a cure and track down the blood shipments.

Maybe that call Alfred had about Lucius making a cure during the Mad Hatter sidequest was real, then. :tinfoil:

Discendo Vox posted:

If you look around the mixing chamber, had you actually placed the fourth container of neutralizer?

From what I recall, I think it inexplicably disappears. Which is weird, because shouldn't it have exploded if Batman had a freakout and passed out, likely dropping it after Joker's hallucination showed up?

JamieTheD posted:

Nah, I'm afraid it's a little simpler than that. Of the lot, he's the most Joker-like, and... Jo[hnny] Char[isma]. Oh ho, ho ho ho ho. My sides, they do split.

Yeah, I actually mistook him for the real Joker, honestly. I saw an image of him before the game came out and I thought that there was going to be a sidequest where you find out that he was Joker's real identity.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 6, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

I honestly don't really like Joker as a character and I don't really get why I like Hamill and Ledger's jokers anyway. It's a "bees should not scientifically be able to fly (buzzzzzz there went a bee)" kind of thing.

My secret hope against hope for the next star wars movie is that there's outtakes where luke skywalker just starts talking like the joker for no reason, and maybe rey reacts in character to it.

Because Hamill's Joker is oddly charismatic despite loving him some murder and Ledger's Joker is... I dunno. I guess in the case of Ledger's Joker it's easier to see his whole "People are garbage and I'm trying to prove that" ideology that sometimes comes up with the Joker (re: The Killing Joke), whereas regular comics Joker is the kind of guy who sometimes just kills people if he finds it funny or not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a human prion disorder, meaning that the Joker Infection is Mad Clown Disease. I'm betting the writers couldn't avoid allowing themselves that little pun.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm fairly certain that term is actually used at one point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Should batman give people bat blood and make a bunch of batmans?

Isn't this literally how Terry McGinnis becomes Batman?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think reception to Arkham Joker would be more positive if he had little schemes from time to time, letting him exist in a game without taking away from the main villain. Like, in the Long Halloween, Joker was someone Batman had to deal with, but the main issue on the table was the Holiday Killer. They kinda did something like that for Origins: Blackgate, but that game has the problem of being Origins: Blackgate.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the series, Joker is the main villain of Asylum, City, Origins, and Assault on Arkham. And while Scarecrow is the main villain here, his main threat at this point is "My fear gas might turn Batman into Joker, which would make him more dangerous than me."

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Danakir posted:

So, if the people in Bat Jail are turning into Joker and the only female of the lot is openly acting like a crazy romantic stalker toward Batman… I guess they're basically confirming the whole homoerotic angle of the Batman/Joker relationship?

Well, yeah. Literally one of the first things Hallucination Joker says to Batman is that they both knew that one day he'd end up "stuck deep inside [Batman]". During the last predator segment of City, he can tell Batman to "get [his] cute little rear end over to the movie theater."

Joker is pretty shameless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rotinaj posted:

The Arkham Knight is obviously someone who knows Batman very, very well, but they had to go for someone unexpected. So I'm gonna keep my old Jean Paul Valley guess and also guess it's...

My favorite thing about this image is the store in the background that reads "Drugs". Very self-aware. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The cure was to fix the Titan poisoning, not whatever other weird stuff came with Joker's blood.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

There's SO much more in this game to get angry about. Trust me, we'll get there.

I'm rather curious which things in particular upset or disappointed you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Evidence Room is cool, though I always found it odd that Batman lets the GCPD keep his REC and Shock Gloves.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IMJack posted:

And what does that leave Bruce? The psychosis? The compulsiveness? Would Batman have told Gordon about Barbara's kidnapping and her working for him if he didn't have the phantom Joker egging him on?

Probably the psychosis. We don't know how much Joker-itis the others have, but whereas the others seem to be encompassing traits, Batman is seeing the actual Joker who speaks exactly like the original.

After all, Batman would understand the Joker better than anyone else.

That being said, there also seems to be the implication that Joker Hallucination is vocalizing Bruce's insecurities, so telling Gordon was likely his own choice. He just feels awful about it and JH is making it worse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Batman can never be kind to anyone. Not even his allies, apparently.

Like, seriously, I can give being a dick to his enemies a pass, even grudgingly in the case of people like Mr. Freeze. But is there any benefit to coming across as a jerk to the people he cooperates with?

Then again, given that he's good at practically EVERYTHING else, I suppose it makes sense to give him some kind of character flaw.

On a related glass breaking note, I love how no one questions how Riddler got a trophy into the GCPD. Riddler is practically Batman himself at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Technowolf posted:

I wonder if the whole "people becoming Joker" thing is a reference to Return of the Joker.

I always found the reason for Robin turning into the Joker in that movie silly. Joker, the guy who is literally defeated by being pantsed in front of Gotham in one episode, is suddenly some super savvy micro-engineer capable of implanting nanomachines that overwrite someone else's DNA with his own? Since when?

It would've made more sense for it to have been him cribbing Mad Hatter's technology or something, with Tim being hypnotized into believing he was the Joker. Joker already brainwashed him into being Joker Jr., so a bit of hypnosis would've undoubtedly pushed him back over that edge.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mad Hatter, much like the Riddler, has only gotten even more insane as the series went on. Like, in Origins, it's implied he's just brainwashing people due to being a loner. Here he's just flat out trying to do... something non-consensual and weird to Batman. :gonk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vicissitude posted:

Huh. Do the thugs in the Wonderland sequence show up anywhere else in the game? Because they're decked out in Joker gear from Arkham Asylum/City.

It's just a neat callback made for the DLC, if I'm not mistaken. There were some TYGER Guards in there, too.

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't throw in some Origins character models.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Great Joe posted:

"start talking, mad hatter, or ill peel you like an orange"

You just know he'd just rhyme that with door hinge.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aithon posted:

At least most thug chatter is much better than that. In particular, I remember overhearing a robber saying something like "OK, OK, I'll go to one more riot, but then I gotta go home, it's my turn to watch the kids." :3:

The game's got some decent soul, sadly it's mostly in incidental stuff.

I hope his kids aren't still in the city.

At work at the moment. I'll comment on things when I get back home and watch the video. I will say that the sudden enmity between Riddler and Catwoman is weird and out of nowhere, especially given how she was at odds with Two-Face in the last game.

But I'm inclined to believe all that "bitch" stuff in the previous game got them a lot of flak, so they stuck her with someone unlikely to speak that way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

It'd help Riddler feel like he's actually assisting Scarecrow with the plan

Riddler is way too in love with himself to ever consider helping someone else. If anything, Scarecrow is helping him, not that he needs it.

Danakir posted:

I just want to say that playable Gordon sounds absolutely loving amazing.

Don't forget that we got to walk around as Commissioner Gordon earlier. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not really bothered by the fact that Batman's female associates were kidnapped, though I will say that having three of the four most prolific female characters in the game kidnapped about two hours or so into the game is eyebrow raising.

That being said, I'm annoyed by the fact that Oracle's kidnapping and flashback to her being paralyzed by Joker just paints her as a helpless person more than anything. I mean, thus far Oracle hasn't accomplished much of anything in the game that would make me consider her vital to Batman's network of allies. Even when analyzing Scarecrow's toxin, she needed Batman to tell her what to do. So... why is she even here? That's what I take offense with more than her being a damsel in distress. Her role in the game so far seems completely meaningless aside from forcing conflict between Batman and Gordon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I kind of missing giggling and cackling Scarecrow. John Noble does a great voice job, but so far Scarecrow's lines have pretty much been "I bet you're scared. Oh the terror you must feel. Now you know what it means to be afraid." And it gets really bleh after a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looks like Hamill got his wish.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

It really is. Can you imagine how much more time Batman would be able to dedicate to stopping Scarecrow if he wasn't loving about with Riddler's poo poo? Scarecrow made the right call here.

I'm imagining Riddler and Clock King teaming up to figure out increasingly convoluted ways to make Batman waste time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Iretep posted:

so what youre saying is that they should have had alfred get taken hostage AGAIN or robin get taken hostage AGAIN instead.

Neither Alfred nor Robin have ever been taken hostage before in the Arkham series. The closest thing was Bane injuring Alfred in Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Iretep posted:

I actually remembered wrong and in the arkham city one batman got taken hostage and not robin. In arkham origin dlc im pretty sure Alfred got taken hostage for a while by penguin. Of course in comics these have happened a million times.

Ah, right, I forgot about that.

• Locked thread