Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blastinus posted:

I'd be amazed to see the GCPD emergency response manual, considering how quickly they got that bus convoy readied and shuttling out citizens. I know that they needed to clear the streets of innocent bystanders so Batman isn't going around running over people, but come on! 6 million people in less than a day?

Bruce Wayne owns the internet by creating Web 3.0. He can money his way into making regular citizens get the gently caress out by just reminding what sort of crazy poo poo's happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Batman Rocket League is the only way I like Arkham Knight's tank controls.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I like how he's going fully unhinged by losing more articles of clothing because gently caress it, gotta plan revenge on that cheater. In another year of fighting batman he'd probably be losing chunks of his hair, teeth would be falling out, he'd be hooked up to life support machines because he doesn't even loving have time to go the bathroom. Bats gotta be put in their place! No eating, no sleeping, no nothing until the right plan works.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The question is whether he's wearing pants in these broadcasts.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sure is nice of those last three goons to just stay in there and wait until you get all of your suit's AR training done. Boy, would batman's face be griefstruck if he missed his chance to save someone because he was dicking around with last minute diagnostics.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Batman is ready to make America great again.

Dark Knight IV: Election Year

An entire political party of Jokers and I'll give you three guess which one it is!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
"Dese days we got more rights than regular people"

Are you sure Frank Millar wasn't involved in this?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Grapplejack posted:

So hey, here's the terrible part of this game; Catwoman is great and still extremely fun to play as, but the game decides to shove her in a closet and have batman rescue her. This is emblematic of Arkham Knight's big problem of treating its female characters like garbage and using them only to spur batman to act.

What's worse is that the Catwoman and Batman team up sections prove that this should have been the signature feature of a new game, power groups switching their different combos to fight groups too big for one bat. A good mix up of abilities and combos could be sick if they got even a quarter of attention that Battank races got, but its the big new thing of this game so we gotta imagine more ways to cram it in. RACE AFTER BARBRA, RACE TO SAVE CATWOMAN IN OBSTACLE COURSES, RACE TO GET POINTS. ARE YOU LOVING THE BATMOBILE SECTIONS YET? BECAUSE THERE'S A LOT MORE TO GO.

I think I said it before in the Arkham Thread, but if you make the next game's signature feature team ups and eventually set them against something really big like say a brainwashed Superman, you could easily turn the Arkham formula into a Justice League expanded set of games. But that's just my stupid little dream watching Batman need several damsels to rescue.

Aithon posted:

At least most thug chatter is much better than that. In particular, I remember overhearing a robber saying something like "OK, OK, I'll go to one more riot, but then I gotta go home, it's my turn to watch the kids." :3:

The game's got some decent soul, sadly it's mostly in incidental stuff.

Yeah there are some good ones, I just wish they'd actually show this in some parts of the game. "Hey Bat, I'll stop if you don't hit me too much. I just wanted a new toy for my little girl's Birthday".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'll talk about hostages the Knight should or could of taken later when it becomes appropriate, but I want to you remember this train of thought for later when a greater issue of Arkham Knight comes up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Really the only problem with Catwoman's combat is that they didn't really give it any depth. If they actually put the effort into creating distinctive combat for each character and put that in a setting that you could call them in to any section of the game after earning them, such as a Battle for the Cowl/Batman Inc. game, Rocksteady could learn from what mostly went wrong with the AK challenge maps.

Also there is something beautiful in the idea of Joker being batman's wingman for his weird relationships. "Come on, Bruce. You have to start thinking about the future. If you don't make a little Wayne that you and some woman don't horrifically die in front of, who will be the next Batman?!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I guess even goons can sympathize with certain targets and think its a little excessive to go after someone in a wheelchair. "She totally wasn't afraid of the knight." "drat!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I really don't know about Telltale Batman. They're really stretching themselves with that one, but then again maybe it couldn't be any worse than Batman V Superman.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope Scab's fear of "They're all over me, don't let them touch me" was poor people. It would just fit so much.

John Liver posted:

Don't forget Eddie and his trillion neon-green deathtraps, which he's somehow put ahead of everyone else's plans far in advance, standing between Batman and this other woman in distress. This game feels like it got a wicked case of feature creep in the scriptwriting phase - "script creep?" There's way, way too much here to keep track of - if not for the literal checklist Batman's got on his wrist.

And unlike Arkham City, where each supervillain was really just doing their own thing to try and get to their own ends, everyone's motivations are so shifted and obscured by other plans that I legitimately do not know why some of them are even here. Penguin, Riddler, Two Face, what are these chumps doing hanging around in a city that they must know could be irreparably fear-gassed at any minute? Even if Scarecrow didn't tell them that was his plan, that doesn't hold up because A) he's been broadcasting to the whole city all night, B) Scarecrow has one schtick and the only way he can escalate it is to go bigger/wider, and C) these are loving supervillains! They're supposed to be criminal masterminds, and they can't see why this is a stupid plan?

The only way I can see this plan making sense is that the Cloudburst thingy, like the ACE Chemicals thingy, must be yet another decoy plan for ... god-knows-what. Something equally terrible and stupid meant to put Bruce through his paces, I'm sure.

And goddamn it, that scene with Oracle. Bad writing. Exploitative. Not cool.

And you're making the mistake that these are logical people who wouldn't think that A: They wouldn't be able to loot enough until they can get out just in time or B: believe they can ride the storm out until things go back to normal as far as Gotham goes.

Penguin is hanging around because THIS IS HIS CITY. He's a possessive egomaniac and believes that Gotham, no matter what shape it takes or whomsoever is mucking about on it, inevitably will belong to him as he'll find a way to take them out and take control of what should be his cobble-pot birthright.

Riddler is an abused self-hating genius who NEEDS Batman to lose to him, the true genius, like the dirty little cheater that he is. We've been over this.

Two-face is a bit harder to say as we haven't gotten to him yet but it involves a lot of money because he's the one paying Penguin for weapons. He also is bound to the coin so he could easily have fled the city at any time if he just got a flip that said so.

The real problem with this whole fiasco at this point is loving Scarecrow himself as by his own words "Such Brutality -- You're different", he should realize this isn't going to work out the way he envisioned. Batman's taken who knows how many blasts of that toxin in its earlier stages that probably by now he's either developed a bit of an immunity or he's mutated with it. Giving him an even stronger dose shouldn't work on principle, but instead of just powering through it like he did in Asylum, Batman goes right to beating the poo poo out of people when they're begging him to stop. This should fire up big warning bells in Crane's head that poo poo isn't going to fly like it should, but he keeps on probably because sunk cost fallacy saying he could pull together the several million/billion he's wasted on the Knights Army and the Stagg partnership that went almost tits up with his super weapon. This whole plan has almost fallen about 2 times now and yet he's been able to get by on something he could never plan for, becoming Joker being Batman's greatest fear.

It isn't just batman making terrible mistakes, everyone in this game are making a series of Unfortunate Bat-Decisions.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You wasted a potential Batlords and Batladies joke and you didn't have Conroy there?! ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I still can't believe shooting a ball of electricity to short out electric goons never hit you. That was one of the first things I tried if only because I thought "Well if the medics can charge people up, maybe hitting it with another wave of energy would turn it off like Tesla clap-on clap-off":science:.

Also this sort of proves there should be a Bat Universe where he tries to recruit and convert villains instead of picking up Robins and Bat girls. I'm sure if Wayne tech tried to incorporate plants into technology itself, like somehow utilizing plants as cheap and living solar panels, you could probably wean Ivy into a less homicidal environmentalist. You'd probably run out of traditional bad guys, but gently caress you its an else worlds.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Night10194 posted:

An Elseworld where Batman basically ends up leading a support group for all the other mentally damaged people he used to beat up and they save the world together would be rad as hell.

If you just applied some of their problems into a positive solution you could make one of the most devoted humanitarian super groups ever.

Take Penguin's obsession with Gotham being his city. If he applied that fervor into the people of Gotham being HIS PEOPLE, that as his people they drat well better have all the welfare that they should deserve to get, he could be one of the best union bosses in America. "You live in Gotham, you get a drat good job! These are my blokes and I ain't satisfied unless they all is as 'appy as pigs in poo poo!"

The general conflict would of course be Joker as if Batman can turn the Joker into a force of good, he could win over the world and win his war. I know, the last thing people want to hear in an Arkham game thread of all places is YET ANOTHER JOKER story, but he'd fit with being the one thing that keeps the comic book status quo going. That if The Clown Prince dies a violent death than Batman still loses as crime cannot be changed and defeated.

As for not fanfiction, I wonder if they paid Riddler to put up all the Militia poo poo. They did pretty quick work setting up and I doubt the competency of this army of dime store US Military dropouts turned ninja mercs to do all of this on their own.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I forget, have any of the comics given cash a fully robotic hand? Because it seems sort of weird with all of these escalating villains and situations Cash gets put into that Batman doesn't call up Cyborg and ask him to hook his buddy up with a bionic fist.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lotish posted:

dscruffy, I just want to mention that my five year old enjoys your videos so much that when he's playing batman with his toys I overhead him saying "welcome back to Arkham Knight."

You know what you've done? You've put the idea in my head to have that kid say the opening if not narrate an entire video to just describe what's going on and what Batman is doing now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Be careful talking about who the Knight could be, but do remember that he is intended to be a mystery. A mystery with seemingly no possible suspects presented even now despite how many times batman widened the search of criminals in Gotham. Almost like he's avoiding the idea that this is a different kind of problem tied to him.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They could have made a larger predator map with two people and up to maybe 20-30 goons, and make it all Arkham Knight soldiers. You start off with a limited amount of different ways to hunt and the pack always learns and defuses the ones you used before. Add some high risk/high reward double stealth mechanics - like say have robin hold a line launcher wire that batman can use as a makeshift above take-down, but if its used too much they will see it coming and gun them both down. Put some actual tension back in the predator sections.

They had the pieces they needed to utilize double predator, but they just didn't care to because they decided car was the big gimmick. Everytime I look at this game, I just seem to find new ways to despise the car.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
As much as it could probably too weird to try, you'd think Harley would have weirder attempts at talking to batman now that she should know he's Joker number 5. On one hand he's the guy who technically had the first and all the duplicates killed, on the other hand its Joker in Batman - and as she should know, the guy who had the blood put into him directly from the source. And if she can warm up to old men being Joker, well, there should at least be a funny call with her somehow hacking the communications network to sort of ask what she supposed to do now, Mista J.

And speaking of missed opportunities, I still hate it when people gently caress up monologues about Evolution and the Strong surviving when it's the most adaptable to change that always wins. Ain't it funny that the last one on the list is the one who still can't adapt to their parents being dead? Let alone change their Modus operandi when they're losing robins, allies to super villainy and now Barbras left and right!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

She has lines about it if you talk to her in the cell at some points.

There's also certain lines you can have with Tim if you want to go a level beyond terrible Bat Decisions. :ssj:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's odd how they sort of trivialize A Death in the Family post Jason's back in comics. Here he isn't even seemingly interested in if his mother is still alive, although I don't blame them for skipping out trying to thwart Joker's plan to sell a nuke to Middle East terrorists to bomb Israel, Becomes the Iranian ambassador to the UN, embezzling money from African aid or Batman forcing a truth serum on Lady Shiva to get her to say she isn't Jason's mother. (Death in the Family is like peak Reagan years poo poo including some Iran-Contra overtones) In the game he was just held for six months and apparently mentally broken while Batman couldn't find him and seemingly gave him up for dead until he got the video from the last Hallucination that had him shot dead. Sort of understandable in how it fucks up Bruce even further, but not really given a lot of context of who Jason was in the Arkham world if I remember right.

Jason Todd always had a bum rap for being the Robin after Dick. Pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths he was literally another circus orphan, this time by Killer Croc, who was red-headed, bumbling but really cheerful compared to Dick's run or Bats. All of these differences likely only helped fuel the hatred nerds had for him since Batman #357. Notable for wearing even weirder circus clothes until Nightwing gives him a robin suit, tells him to dye his hair and he looks like the same ol Dick with a different name.

Then they try to make him different post Crisis. He's a lot more angry, impulsive and eager to fight. Loves just going in and start punching people in the face and ruin "weeks of planning" or any subterfuge Batman could have employed. Son of Willis and Catherine Todd, a felon that didn't return to his family after a prison term and mother that abused drugs and needed money for her fix until she ODed, its no surprise Jason was a petty criminal who was famously caught trying to steal the tires from the Batmobile. Bat's first thought was to put the now orphaned hood in a home, but because its loving Gotham City, the orphanage he picked obviously used kids as an army of thieves and pick pockets, so Bruce eventually just adopts him after shutting down the operation. He then proceeds to Raphael his way into confrontations and is the Robin who, without a Red Hood to justify violent deaths, makes Batman question if he's a serious threat.

According to "Notes from the Batcave: An Interview with Dennis O'Neil", they were still getting hate mail and this change only made him more of an usurper to The Dick.

So around 88 they finally plan to remove Jason from the Robin role, but they don't know how to specifically do it without creating another Jason for fans to likely hate. Since Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns (1986) was released two years before #426-9 (1988-9), theories have put the blame on the plan to killing Todd entirely on this story's popularity and influence even back then, because it already involved a long dead Jason. So several months before A Death in The Family begins, DC runs a promotion to let US and Canadian nerds call in to decide the Fate of Jason Todd from September 15th to 16th of 1988 for about roughly a dollar a vote.

With over 10,000 votes and the majority demanding death, 5,343 to 5,271, DC wrote one of the most significant stories in Batman for a long time. The first canonical death of a Robin. Beaten with a crowbar, betrayed by his biological mother and blown up by a time bomb, the image of Batman carrying a dead Jason out of the rubble like a walking Pietà was one of the iconic images of Batman. It also got a lot of flak from people thinking this was morbid as poo poo for comics. But DC stuck by it and took its time, slowly integrating Tim Drake to avoid any sort of Jason situation again via introducing him to Dick first and Batman smoldering over the idea to train Todd in the wake of Jason's loss for a year or so.

Of course it doesn't last, but at least Denis O'Neil seems to keep making up new rumors to the crazy poo poo people pulled to get Todd to die. Like the "one guy, who programmed his computer to dial the thumbs down number every ninety seconds for eight hours" and spent basically $100 to make sure a sidekick got whacked.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 20, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

1) this all happened before i was born, and that's weird bc i thought the whole jason todd thing happened in the 90's

2) they should have kept him red-haired, if for no other reason then they could have given him shirley temple curls and that would have been funny, to me

Late 80s to late 90s was the first Dark Age of comics so you're not entirely wrong. What was started by Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns quickly became a rush for edginess to show how violent and adult comics could be as well trying to create as many collector's item issues they could, usually by killing off some long time/major character. Jason Todd was right around the twilight of the Bronze Age and into the Modern Era of comics.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Dick Grayson actually wants Batman to not be that pleased with him, to push him further or act as if he isn't doing his best. Bruce has always been a bit of a weird/cool older brother and an adoptive father and a little bit more competition means he could still be a mentor to him or they could even just be together again. Under the mask he can be all grim and dead parents, but Dick's been around Bruce and Alfred when they aren't in the suits. When Bruce isn't putting on a scary face or the act of being the MillionaireBillionaire Playboy. He's seen a Bruce Wayne legitimately smiling watching a movie or otherwise enjoying a night off with the rest of the Bat family. That's why he openly jokes with him, because he's seen that soft side and he likes him.

However, those were around the days before Jason Todd and Barbra's condition drove him to be even more Joker obsessed, when poo poo didn't just drag on and the Bat mission didn't consume even more of him. But he's never been this defeatist before. And when he comes up and says "This is the last time you'll ever see me, Dick", well - you don't need to be an Ace Blüdhaven policeman to detect how suicidal that sounds.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And its fitting that being the game that remembers Jason Todd, they finally utilize Hush Aka Tommy Elliot. So as you can summarize from the video, Tommy was basically the opposite of Bruce in that he wanted his Rich Boy inheritance now instead of waiting on a natural tragedy to occur like what happened to Thomas and Martha Wayne. But when Thomas saved his mother in the crash that killed Father, the little sociopath blamed the entire Wayne Family for getting in his way. This grew even worse as the Elliot scion had to slowly watch his mother slowly battle cancer while "Brucie got lucky" with an instant full inheritance through gunshot.

Initially introduced in the 2002-2003 Hush story line, which has now been retconed for a variety of reasons including Tommy and Riddler somehow manipulating everyone from Joker to Clayface into making some elaborate plot against both identities of Bruce Wayne, a very strange fight over the grave of Jason Todd and the death and betrayal of Harold Allnut, Batman's former mute Quasimodo-esque mechanic. You think I'm kidding?

But even though the planned follow up to Hush never happened, the character has since lingered as one of the first successful and moderately popular 21th century villains of Batman. He's more a manipulator and is always after the Wayne fortune more than anything else, although he wouldn't mind killing anyone that got in his way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

fool_of_sound posted:

The Order in particular has apparently been around since longer than Christianity has been in America...

Nah, in comics its even dumber. The Sacred Order of Saint Dumas is a splinter group of the Knights Templar, who itself has several splinter groups - which I think only two have its Champion be named Azreal, a usually inherited Champion title from people conditioned to smite the wicked and carry out the creed -- I mean, their scared duty that eventually wound up in Gotham. The other known sects are the Order of Purity and whatever the hell Sister Lilhy's Order was called. Basically they're all crazy people who follow the teachings of some rear end in a top hat even Ra's al Ghul thought was a vicious, insane fanatic.

The original Azreal, test tube baby Jean-Paul Valley, was introduced around issue 500 to take over being Batman after Bane broke Bruce's back and he was basically the most 90s Batman you could think of. A set of pouches around his leg, robot gauntlets, some spawn style metal batwing cape and his tenure as THE NEW 90s BATMAN was an absolute mess. From Knighfall to Knightquest to Knightsend. Deeming Bruce's methods too weak on crime, he let's his crazy religious conditioning go hog wild making sure to kill criminals even if a few hostages died in the process and almost strangling Tim Drake to death and banning him from the Batcave for cramping his EXTREME style. These get Bruce to want to reclaim the mantle after a loving psychic doctor magically heals his spine. Batman kicks his rear end, but after kicking him out into literal homelessness, Bruce feels sorry for basically picking on crazy kid. So they still team up from time to time and his whole shtick becomes going after the order and eventually destroying the sect that made him.

The Azreal of this game, Michael Washington Lane, is an ex-cop taken in by the Order of Purity. Their special thing is having relics they constantly steal from or get taken back by the League of Assassins including the Sword of Sin, the Sword of Salvation and the Suit of Sorrows, notable powerful cursed artifacts which drive people insane who use them. Any iteration of the Order of Dumas makes the League of Assassins look competent.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Poor Aquaman always gets shat on because everyone only remembers Superfriends as the scope of his powers or identity. Never even his Brave and the Bold persona. No really,I'd go see an Aquaman film if he was a cheerful and enthusiastic lug who spoke in BIG OUTRAGEOUS WORDS and hungered for adventure!

From what little I've heard from in the New 52, he's moved on from his I'M ACTUALLY A SERIOUS CHARACTER, LOOK, REALLY, I LOST MY HAND TO PARANA, HAVE LONG HAIR AND A BEARD AND BROOD LIKE BATMAN of the 90s to a blond Conan the Barbarian/Kull of Atlantis in the modern age. Which is cool because the mysticism from the Ponzer days was very colorful if not entertaining.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 26, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

poo poo, I don't remember hearing about that at all. He must be the first person in the comic military that didn't turn out into some superpowered hero/villain like Deadpool/Deathstroke Captain America, Wolverine that I knew about. I knew who that Green Lantern was long before I knew about the Punisher.

Maybe Wolverine was first actually.

He's certainly the first black superhero of D.C. and a better loving strategist than Hal ever was. Unlike the air force fly boy that got lucky in meeting an alien cop with a magic ring, John not only knew how to kill and how to fight, but with his ability as an architect has the personal flair of being able to see all the intricate little parts of his ring projections working as a real functional object. If he conjured up like a LMG, you'd see the correct screws being used in the grip or stable current wiring if it was a giant robot arm.

Hal Jordan would conjure up something goofy like a giant boxing glove jack-in-the-box.
Guy Gardner, being like a hop and a skip away from Red Lantern, just makes the biggest blunt object his machismo can fart out of his head.
Kyle Rayner, being an artist, is a little bit more fantastic in his ideas as he shares an attention to detail with John.

But when John Stewart makes something out ring energy, he makes as if it was made of real matter.

EDIT: Oh right, I keep forgetting about Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz.

Simon, once being an actual criminal because it was the only way to survive, is a little vicious in his ring projections. Cannot catch a break from terrorism subplots.

Jessica Cruz is a little bit crazy as she uses the Ring of Volthoom and has PTSD from watching all her friends get killed. A goddamn evil Green Lantern Ring that feeds off personal fears and can easily kill you from the inside out. What the gently caress is it with New 52 and cursed artifacts?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 27, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The sad thing is if Batman admitted to Selina who he really is, could he bribe her into not stealing? Like would she accept Bruce making elaborate fake museums for her to take poo poo from or pay her a big wage to be a superhero? Or is the part of stealing other people's poo poo the part she really likes? She's still trying to get Batman to be bad with her and even hinting at something more, but thankfully this game isn't as bad as DC comic that slash pages to the outright act. This isn't a Bioware or TellTale game -- not yet, anyway.

And Batman wasn't exactly cold on that delivery. How exactly do you explain to someone that they killed their wife after transforming into a giant bat?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The animated series had a Batman who cared about his villains and that's one of the interpretations of how you can take his no kill rule. That he wants to believe they are people that can be sympathized and reasoned with, that they aren't all problems that simply need to be put down like the Joker. They even had another character introduced in the cartoon that went into the main DCU like Harley Quin, Lyle Bolton AKA Lock-Up, who symbolized the blood crazed Punisher that Batman could be if he lacked any empathy at all and quickly becomes disgusted with Batman for not sharing his specific zeal. "YOU ACTUALLY CARE FOR THESE FREAKS?!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CzarChasm posted:

Was that or was that not Power Ring (evil alternate universe Green Lantern)'s, ring?

I didn't see anyone else point this out, so I'll give it a shot. Batman is not trying to comfort Langstrom. He's trying to justify his own imminent behavior. "It's not your fault. It was the Joker Blood that made you do something crazy. Yeah, you killed a guy, but that wasn't you."

In a weird way, Batman is confronting "Crazy, destructive, murderous, 'Bat-man'"

Yeah, it seems to be the ring of the now dead Power Ring, who turns out to be possessed by Volthoom the First Lantern. So not only is she a transplant from Earth-3, the evil earth, but she's stuck with a sadistic ring that can access more power than any Lantern on top of The Guardians of the Universe loving around with Volthoom to create The Third Army -- a race of infectious mutants who will transform all life into obedient and unfeeling slaves. Because after loving up with The Manhunters they couldn't trust machines to bring order to the Universe, and after The Sinestro Corps War (Sinestro creates his own Lantern corps and goes to war with the Green Lanterns), The War of Light (TURNS OUT THERE'S AN ENTIRE EMOTIONAL SPECTRUM AND poo poo GETS EVEN MORE CRAZY BETWEEN AT LEAST 7 DIFFERENT EMOTION CORPS), Blackest Night (Undead black lanterns trying to kill all life) and The War of Green Lanterns (A goddamn civil war within the corps spurned by Krona the not blue dwarf of the Guardians) they couldn't trust sapient life or free will to protect itself. So they decided to take away the sapient part to bring about total universal order.

But if that's not loving enough, these things are powered by again the First Lantern, an ancient earthling who was given the First Ring that had access to all emotions, back when the Maltusians had even less of an idea of what they were doing and he got drunk on that power until he was imprisoned in the Chamber of Shadows, super duper space jail inside of a black hole, for thousands of years. Except now he keeps finding ways to break out and just gently caress with lives because he just likes hurting other people.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 28, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Why does Spiderman have a mech based off a leopard? Don't ask stupid questions and just enjoy him killing poo poo in a robot!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Wow, that's what he's actually like? I was only familiar with his appearances in the godawful Beware the Batman, where they just made him an eco-terrorist.

One of many of Beware the Batman's flaws was trying to take a recent Grant Morrison character and try to make him palpable for children's/early teenager public cartoons. Brave and the Bold also used him, but just as a one off and not a main character in a show about trying to use old or low tier villains that most people have never heard of.

But yes, Lazlo Valantin was an intentional "How hosed up could we make a lunatic in Batman" character. Involved in all the Morrison ideas he had around Batman R.I.P to I think the end of Batman Incorporated, Pyg was working with everyone from the Black Glove to Simon Hurt doing what he does. And what he does is kidnap people, mutilate them of any sort of physical gender or physical differences, pump them full of mind altering drugs, graft a doll mask to their face and transforms them into another member of his army of Dollotrons. In the comics he also tries to make the dolls carry a deadly virus, but he doesn't really have that much of an agenda outside of being weird and scary I guess.

I honestly like his Arkhamverse characterization more as its a lot more refined and centered. In the comics he is more like half of a thought out character that just rampages around until he's defeated.

Oh yeah and the Mother he keeps talking about is the Mother of Nails. Who turns out to be Talia Al Ghul because Pyg was actually working with The Patriots Leviathan, a schism criminal syndicate from the League of Assassins that was opposed to Batman Inc.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, its very odd that Batman only has one method of solving Eddie's riddles and when he does that it is apparently cheating. If Batman avoids his puzzles Eddie feels slighted and if Batman solves them he's irate. He probably doesn't even want to hear praise or surrender because some arbitrary reasons that go against the proper way of doing whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It is funny to think about Batman being reminded of The Long Halloween and feeling more bitter from someone who Scarecrow or The Arkham Knight probably doesn't even know of or planned for until after he's captured or they see him snorting and weeing in the Jail. Its depressing and Gotham as hell that despite whatever big elaborate conspiracy and event orchestrated by a regular and new pool of The Bat Rogues Gallery is happening, under every rock there's always another psychopath you've never heard of doing terrible poo poo because THAT'S GOTHAM. And that's the real "Your fight will never end, you just create or find more broken people that the system and your methods can never fix" blow that none of these characters could ever pull on their own

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 1, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Plants are notorious liars. Also there is no way in hell the Gotham bad guys and Knight army aren't going to get Treason for this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Johnny Crane doesn't get what he wants until batman gives up/dies and people believe his shtick that he's unbeatable and let him keep Gotham in I guess a perpetual Fear Cloud. All he's accomplished is finally fire the Cloudburst in Gotham, after a considerable number of his forces, co-conspirators and several contingencies were already taken down by the SuperHero without super powers. He's operating at a net loss at the moment until at least he defeats Batman. After that he has to not only deal with other metahumans, but the United States government and its military that likely aren't happy about losing part of the east cost to a lunatic that unleashed a chemical weapon on their soil.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 1, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe there was an arc in which Joker becomes the ambassador of Iran and tries to gas the UN only for Superman to inhale all of the gas while wearing a fake mustache, and the thing that people remember about that arc the most is that Robin died for a while.

Also Joker sort of knows who Batman is in that story or at least heavily implies it by taking a good long look at Bruce when he bribed his way into being an unofficial observer in the general assembly and laughs at him. Its again the most direct post Reagan era of stories because Joker is somehow made a political figure. And Batman feeds mind control drugs to a villain, and in theory Joker should have started a war between the US and Iran because he gassed the UN. He should be an international enemy of almost every state but comics.

When I mentioned meta humans, however, I didn't specifically mean just heroes. Like I'm pretty sure Lex Luthor isn't pleased that the Gotham freaks have shat on the property value of his current holdings within the city and his intentions to own Wayne Industry as is. Sure, maybe post clean up he could buy Gotham land for a steal, but this may not be something he exactly wanted. And if Clark could tell you anything, its that Luthor does not treat those who disappoint or slight him very well. And this isn't even going to go into all the people that may want their hands on Cloudburst tech.

It's also sort of weird that outside of the police station, almost all of the civilian population in Gotham has evacuated. So if the US government wanted to, they could have probably dropped their own drone strikes into the city well before the cloud burst, even if they're likely just watching the recordings right now. Because remember, THIS IS BEING BROADCAST AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE SCARECROW WANTS PEOPLE TO KNOW THIS IS HIS "VICTORY". This isn't just terrorism, this is Malheur terrorism. There are people showing direct involvement or likely being recorded doing certain poo poo in the city in the attempt to intimidate potential interlopers and batman as this is going on. There is probably a lot of people that have royally hosed themselves by getting involved in this and there could probably be some great comedy in imagining the potential lawyers that would be called up to defend even the low to mid tier goons/captains/super villains. And we also can't forget what Jim Gordan said at the start of this game.

Batman is becoming more Joker by the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the least Scarecrow could do is maybe pull off some more Barbra like poo poo. For all we know he's been sitting in the same chair for loving hours thinking up ways to try and give the same taunt to batman over and over. I thought your thing was fear, Crane. Not dull monotony.

Scarecrow: "Can he see me on the toilet?"

AK: "No, I've cropped it only show your face."

Scarecrow: "Good. Ahem. You're on your last legs Batman. Everyone you have ever failed weighs upon you like flakes of snow. Burying you little -- by little."

Scarecrow: "How was that, Knight?"

AK:"Eh..."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 3, 2016

• Locked thread