Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

Alfred the desk-worker is still pretty great. I'd love to see a game about Alfred the master hacker where you just remotely open doors, operate ridiculously complex mechanisms, hack the world and generally are mission control to Batman.

Major_JF posted:

Have a top down blueprint map where you can control light and alarms and doors and so on. Any action takes an amount of time do the hacking but the hacking just happens with a single click. Also have first person views of the fighters to get clues, information to get information, faster hacks see areas not on the blueprints, or just watch them fight.. Also have rainbow six style path mapping that you can change with the characters doing the leading/talking with the ground crew getting annoyed if you send them back and forth too many times.

This is describing the Decker/Hacker gameplay of the "perfect" Shadowrun MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tilt the mouse to dodge Joker's shot.

citybeatnik posted:

I'm going to just kind of hope against hope here that Barbara has NOT been kidnapped, but rather Scarecrow was taking advantage of the fear gas to gently caress with Batman by saying that someone will die.

Or, Batman just blurted out something about Barbara Gordon while under the effects of the gas, which gives Scarecrow and Arkham Knight some new leverage they didn't actually have before.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reading the profiles for the for Mad Clown Disease victims Batman locked up (in the OP). If Johnny Charisma has Joker's showmanship, Christina has his obsession with the Bat, and Albert has his violence, what if Henry is actually embodying the last shred of sanity the Joker had? Similar to Harleen's voice inside Harley - all the guilt and the fear, shoved to one side.

And what does that leave Bruce? The psychosis? The compulsiveness? Would Batman have told Gordon about Barbara's kidnapping and her working for him if he didn't have the phantom Joker egging him on?

How many of these unfortunate bat-decisions are going to be guided by, or blamed upon, the smiling devil now sitting on Bats' shoulder?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Seeing Batman field-strip a gun in the middle of battle doesn't get old. I love it.

For me, it's Batman punching a guy through the window on his shield, then bending the shield into uselessness.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Where the Joker, Bane, the Hatter, and so many others have failed to bring Batman to kill another human being, Rocksteady has succeeded.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
This game's loading elevators/corridors are worse than Mass Effect's.

Edit: And headbutting a guy wearing a spiked helmet is a dumb idea even if you're Batman.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 15, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

so what was that stuff batman injected himself with

like it must be like heroin to get him back into fighting shape so quickly

I remember the mooks in MGS2 injected a similar pick-me-up if you actually hurt one and let it get up without killing it.

Like anyone played MGS2 lethal. I only saw it in the VR missions that don't give you an easy non-lethal option.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Just some poor dude with an electrical wiring manual trying to figure out how to get it so the cage comes down when the pressure pad is activated and the question marks light up at the same time.

Someone had to build the plexiglass tower maze with the exposed electromagnets and the hamster ball, and somebody had to install it in front of the orphanage.

Riddler probably has to spend most of his blackmail markers to get these things built.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Speaking of unfortunate bat-decisions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrG_GfF_wWk

I saw this in the A.V. Club and it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned it in the thread.

Live the li(f)e of Bruce Wayne by day, stalk the city as Batman by night, and the bat-decisions you make as one will complicate matters for the other. Sounds promising to me, but I guess it depends on what you think of Telltale.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have to wonder if an episodic Batman Arkham game could, or could have, worked. Rather than the huge campaign, make a season's worth of distinct episodes, each one of which gives you a specific area to run around in and has the kind of focus that this DLC and Cold Cold Heart did.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
And less plot creep and villain scheme escalation. If every game is Batman's Worst Night, then the writers have to go further and further to make it even worse and more complicated than the last game was.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vicissitude posted:

I forgot about Vance. A fight against the hacked batsuit would be interesting since it would take away most of the gadgets Terry uses. But it would give us a chance to use classic batman tools, probably the REC to disrupt the suit long enough to, say, shut down a terminal that Vance is using for his plan. Maybe Bruce can cobble together a suit for Terry to wear instead of just a mask.

Return to the Metroidvania feeling of Arkham Asylum. Terry loses control of his normal suit, so he tracks down the old caches Bruce hid all over Gotham to cobble together a set of working gear.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Arkham Asylum model for Killer Croc was also used in Injustice. The asylum stage was one big AA/AC cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSo_J4yI0w

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

I kind of like how each Joker-lite is behind the corresponding door - Big Al, Christina Bell and Johnny Charisma

I just now picked up on Albert King, and Christina being an executive at Queen industries; that would make Johnny the Jack and Mr. Adams the Ace.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zeniel posted:

Plus they already pointed out that the Arkham Knight is missing an eye.

Did they? I know the militia were talking about training with a one-eyed assassin with an unusual healing factor, but I figured they were talking about Deathstroke

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't doubt that the Jokerjack is just beginning.

Pure speculation: Arkham Knight is Jason Todd but he also got turned into a Joker while the Joker had him hostage like in the flashback in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

That would be a dick move in keeping with what this game has done so far. Joker keeping Jason on ice, but giving him a dose of Joker blood and a nice inheritance as a hedge bet to the whole Arkham City gambit. Again, pure speculation based on the discussion at hand.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Wait, how did Hush's face heal up? He was covered in jigsaw scars last time from his transplants.

He's got some barely visible scars crisscrossing his face. You can see them because he's lit so pale in this scene.

Bruce has his own scars. Also he is 200% done with this Halloween.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tommy might be really useful when Batman wants to be seen rescuing "Bruce Wayne" from some kind of peril.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Batwing does have, like, a winch that would let you haul the Batmobile out of the storm of fear gas? An up-sized power winch? Batman is the master of devices for impossibly strong gripping and pulling power over long distances, he could pull that off.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why would Gordon be using a SWAT radio that the comms room couldn't decrypt in the first place? I first figured this might implicate Branden, the SWAT captain from Arkham Origins, who would certainly have a beef with the Bat.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

If I were Scarecrow, I'd do this without telling him and then taunt him after he jovially murdered a guy without realizing

Either Bats or Alfred have Star-Trek-style lifesigns detectors, and would know right away if Scarecrow or somebody tried to use that trick.

AK hasn't been playing straight with Scarecrow this whole time. If he had, he might have let Scarecrow know about things like Batman's secret identity, or the chest armor trick.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

J.theYellow posted:

It makes sense gameplay-wise, but you'd think the militia would have access to guns before any other sillybuggers weaponry and specialty soldiers. When Batman goes back into the GCPD garage and the dudes immediately see him, he could have got mown down, no problem. Instead it's just, OK this guy has been kicking everyone's asses all night, we can totally take him with two shields and two stun sticks, and BURNING PASSION FISTS.

Look, we only have so many of those fancy rifles, we don't have enough for everybody. Have you seen those things? With the onboard computer that takes like 10 seconds to boot up before it lets you take it out of the crate? They're so expensive we had to settle for the ones that could be hacked to explode in our hands.

That's why none of the attackers have firearms, Oracle hacked them all before they could get there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Giving in to his Joker side by taking down the Jokers with the kind of needless brutality the clown himself would use.

Has anyone compared Joker-Batman's moves to the playable Joker in the Arkham Asylum DLC?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Yes, that's why there's been a running joke about 'holy poo poo Bats just killed that guy' all series.

Like when you could fling them off railings in Asylum.

One thing that's been annoying me all game is the invisible cages around all the rooftop fighting arenas that stop you from throwing guys off. It's just so obvious when a body hits the boundary and is adjusted to land on the roof.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I could never get GFWL to work on my PC anyway. I missed the heyday of Dark Souls 1 because my game couldn't be saved and the online component wouldn't work.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

There is Dr. McNinja.

That would probably work pretty well as an Arkham-style game, combined with some Trauma Center style surgical minigames and diagnostic detective work.

I don't know if the comic's ending would make a game more or less likely to ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
My takeaway is that games that come out of the triple-A franchise game factory have bad stories.

• Locked thread