Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wizchine posted:

I think this is where we have to get technical if we are going to score properly - the Danish team wasn't robbed, they were burgled. A robbery occurs when a person is confronted and there is force or the threat of force, whereas a burglary occurs when someone breaks into a locked domicile or vehicle and steals the contents. And theft means you left your poo poo unsecured and it was gone when you checked on it or something.

They're all different events with separate medals.

You should be doing commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No one is going to the olympics, except the expendables,

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-04/global-leaders-avoid-olympics-amid-leadership-limbo-in-brazil

Brazil will host only a fraction of the heads of state during the Rio de Janeiro Olympics as London did four years earlier, dampening its ambitions to make the 2016 summer games a moment of international acclaim.

Only about 40 countries will send delegations, several of them lower-ranking officials. Many world leaders are staying at home amid security concerns and uncertainty over Brazil’s future government. Acting President Michel Temer will preside over the inauguration ceremony and welcome foreign dignitaries at a reception in Rio Friday afternoon, while suspended president Dilma Rousseff awaits an impeachment trial later this month.

The U.S. will be represented by John Kerry, who is expected to meet with Brazilian Foreign Minister Jose Serra at Friday’s reception. Tentative plans for Kerry to meet with Temer in the capital city Brasilia never materialized, according to a government official involved in the Olympics planning who asked not to named because the information isn’t public.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All this schadenfreude and the games haven't officially started yet!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
NBC is sugarcoating the poo poo out of Rio. I mean, sure, they want folks to tune in, but holy crap, it feels like the broadcast of the hunger games, IN the movie. Totally spinning everything, sugar coating it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I feel like the better way to spin it is as it actually is.

quote:

HOLY poo poo, BUSSES ARE GETTING HIJACKED AND AQUATIC SPORTS PARTICIPANTS MIGHT GET MENINGITIS, TUNE THE gently caress IN

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, they literally are describing the opening as MacGyver'ed

Olympic organisers invoke MacGyver to describe spirit of opening ceremony

Olympic organisers invoked the spirit of cult 1980s television show MacGyver to describe their attempts to make Rio’s bargain-bucket opening ceremony live up to the memory of its predecessors.

“Athens was classic, Beijing was grandiose, London was smart - ours is going to be cool,” said Andrucha Waddington, the Brazilian film director who is part of the team behind Friday’s ceremony in Rio’s Maracana stadium.

The ceremony is a joint creative effort, headed by Italian executive producer Marco Balich, a veteran of 17 such bookends of major sporting events, and creative director Fernando Meirelles, the Brazilian whose films include City of God.
Team GB’s medal hunters at Rio Olympics: which sports and how many?
Read more

The team made repeated references to MacGyver – a show about a secret agent who solved complex problems by repurposing everyday items – in portraying a pared-down if not cobbled-together effort that has been produced for a fraction of the cost of Danny Boyle’s London 2012 extravaganza or China’s drummer-laden display of state muscle in 2008.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/04/olympic-organisers-invoke-macgyver-to-describe-spirit-of-opening-ceremony

I wonder if they have the ring failure sochi thing as a backup joke, just in case.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

NBC is sugarcoating the poo poo out of Rio. I mean, sure, they want folks to tune in, but holy crap, it feels like the broadcast of the hunger games, IN the movie. Totally spinning everything, sugar coating it.

If you offend the IOC you quickly start losing access to trackside interviews and other such broadcastery poo poo.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goatface posted:

If you offend the IOC you quickly start losing access to trackside interviews and other such broadcastery poo poo.
But WAIT! Bob Kostas is about to tell you about the issues and concerns. I'm betting it's a 5 minute clip, and "everything is fine" comes up three times at least.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

magnificent7 posted:

Are you new here? So has Facebook, and Google!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

Oh man, they literally are describing the opening as MacGyver'ed

Olympic organisers invoke MacGyver to describe spirit of opening ceremony

Olympic organisers invoked the spirit of cult 1980s television show MacGyver to describe their attempts to make Rio’s bargain-bucket opening ceremony live up to the memory of its predecessors.

“Athens was classic, Beijing was grandiose, London was smart - ours is going to be cool,” said Andrucha Waddington, the Brazilian film director who is part of the team behind Friday’s ceremony in Rio’s Maracana stadium.

The ceremony is a joint creative effort, headed by Italian executive producer Marco Balich, a veteran of 17 such bookends of major sporting events, and creative director Fernando Meirelles, the Brazilian whose films include City of God.
Team GB’s medal hunters at Rio Olympics: which sports and how many?
Read more

The team made repeated references to MacGyver – a show about a secret agent who solved complex problems by repurposing everyday items – in portraying a pared-down if not cobbled-together effort that has been produced for a fraction of the cost of Danny Boyle’s London 2012 extravaganza or China’s drummer-laden display of state muscle in 2008.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/04/olympic-organisers-invoke-macgyver-to-describe-spirit-of-opening-ceremony

I wonder if they have the ring failure sochi thing as a backup joke, just in case.

theres a new macguyver movie or tv show or something coming out. Maybe they bribed the opening ceremonies director to make it all about macguyver

also channeling the spirit of macguyver in 2016, lol

Gisele B said that the opening ceremonies will feature her being robbed, Ifeel we wont be able to tell if the shitshow we're watching is staged or not

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wow that article

quote:

The ceremony will be based on three “pillars” according to Abel Gomes, another executive producer. The first of these portrays Brazil as humanity’s last remaining “garden” and will carry a strong environmental message. The second is Brazil’s human diversity, which the organisers referenced as a message of hope in dark times, mentioning the uncertainties of both the upcoming US presidential elections and Brexit.

Its going to be about polluted water, macguyer, and donald trump

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Madcosby posted:

wow that article

the third pillar was stolen prior to the opening ceremonies

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Want to make gifs? DO NOT MAKE GIFS!

"Internet and Mobile Platforms Notwithstanding any other applicable limitation included in these NARs, Olympic Material must not be broadcast on interactive services such as "news active" or "sports active" or any other related Video on Demand services, which would allow the viewer to make a viewing choice within a channel and to thereby view Olympic Material at times and programs other than when broadcast as part of a News Program as set out in Clause 1 above. Additionally, the use of Olympic Material transformed into graphic animated formats such as animated GIFs (i.e. GIFV), GFY, WebM, or short video formats such as Vines and others, is expressly prohibited."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/4/12379224/olympics-rio-2016-gifs-rules-policy

No webms either, make a gif, get sued. Have a good sports event with a bunch of circular things as a logo.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Wait is the guy from City of God really involved in this event

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Madcosby posted:

wow that article

You'd figure they would mention their own impeachment undertaking rather than pointing out two other countries political poo poo shows

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Russia is back in

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36970627

quote:

Russia will have 271 athletes eligible to compete at the Rio Games, says the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

This is more than two-thirds of their original entry list of 389 athletes, despite the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) recommending a blanket ban after a doping scandal

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dely Apple posted:

Wait is the guy from City of God really involved in this event

Yes, blood spattered corpse #1 and and blood spattered corpse #5 both will have torch-bearing parts.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I'm in the Atlanta airport right now, no sign of the Nigerian soccer team.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Good luck enforcing a worldwide gif ban. Oh noes, someone made a 30 frame loop of a sportman and gave him googly eyes! Our sacrosanct intellectual property!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Light Eternal posted:

I'm in the Atlanta airport right now, no sign of the Nigerian soccer team.

Flash some money around

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Madcosby posted:

Gisele B said that the opening ceremonies will feature her being robbed
that got canceled because of outcry over racism. btw is she descended from nazis? if you've got a german last name and you're from brazil, the odds are pretty good

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Explosive Tampons posted:

Don't go. I'm talking about your trip to brazil in general.

No can do. I'm best man at a wedding in Fortaleza (on Brazil's north coast) so I gotta go.

Fortaleza is more a resort kind of city where I will spend most of my time (with locals too) so I'm not too worried. As long as I make it through the three days in Rio (during which time the Paralympics will be on, so maybe poo poo will have settled?) unscathed I'm good :thumbsup:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I really do think this is the West's way of making GBS threads on Putin's face publicly for invading Ukraine.

"You think you can get away with little green men because Ukraine is too close to Russia? Fine! We will hit the only thing you care about, you face!"

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

goatface posted:

they paid over $12 billion for all the olympics through 2032

you don't earn back money by just catering to goons

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nbc is the worst presenter of the olympics in the world by a considerable margin because of their tape delay policy. i'll just watch the opening ceremony on the same site where i watch sports streams

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

nbc is the worst presenter of the olympics in the world by a considerable margin because of their tape delay policy. i'll just watch the opening ceremony on the same site where i watch sports streams

Not to mention the fact that they talk their asses off over anything that isn't the american national anthem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Not to mention the fact that they talk their asses off over anything that isn't the american national anthem.
there are certainly far worse people to do that job than bob costas, though. imagine somebody like stephen a smith doing that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think what they really need to do is make a formal announcement that athletes will not be tested for cocaine during this Olympics, and turn it into a Scarface free-for-all out there. See if any event can rack up a body count as fast as the coke-fueled javelin throwing, that kind of thing.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If you greet the US delegation and it's John Kerry, you got loving SNUBBED. Even North Korea got Jimmy Carter and Dennis Rodman.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

that got canceled because of outcry over racism. btw is she descended from nazis? if you've got a german last name and you're from brazil, the odds are pretty good

There's a fuckload of people with German ancestry in southern Brazil but hey who knows.

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but not every Brazilian is brown. :monocle:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If you greet the US delegation and it's John Kerry, you got loving SNUBBED. Even North Korea got Jimmy Carter and Dennis Rodman.

he's the secretary of state bro

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but not every Brazilian is brown. :monocle:
duh, all the brazilian supermodels out there are as white as the driven snow. i know that a fair number of nazis fled to brazil and argentina so that's why i brought that up

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well whatever enjoy the latest from our favorite Taiwanese CG animators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i2U9IuuQs

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Negrostrike posted:

Looks like some dudes opened fire at the torch relay as well. Look at them fuckers go. :laffo:

https://www.facebook.com/rubens.g.junior.77/videos/10206780327257294/

:lol:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

In Barcelona in the 90s they had some dude light the Olympic flame by shooting a flaming arrow at it

Surely Rio should have some drug lord with an RPG take care of that?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

tacodaemon posted:

In Barcelona in the 90s they had some dude light the Olympic flame by shooting a flaming arrow at it

Surely Rio should have some drug lord with an RPG take care of that?

can pele cosplay

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Also they're claiming that the thing with Gisele in the opening ceremony was supposed to represent her bodyguards chasing away someone bugging her for an autograph, or something like that (???) but they decided to drop it from the opening ceremony after people watching the rehearsal thought it was a mugging

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who would want Gisele's autograph when Miss BumBum is likely to be in the building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Well whatever enjoy the latest from our favorite Taiwanese CG animators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i2U9IuuQs

holy lol, burning trash barrel is the best olympic torch.

• Locked thread