Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Is this thread only for military history? Because if not, I just wanted to say that I've been completely nerding out over "The History of English" podcast.

Basically it's exactly what it sounds like: a history of the English language starting in prehistory and going through the proto Indo-European language it's a daughter of to ostensibly the modern age (though he's only up to the Norman invasion of England right now so around the advent of Middle English).

It's a great summary of European history with a good amount of anthropology mixed in flavored with a dash of linguistics. It really does a good job of explaining why the English language is so wacky in its spelling and pronunciation.

I've been burning through it since I found out about it because it's extremely my poo poo. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

His specials on Genghis Khan were pretty good too. It's like listening to fresh canned autism.

Yeah, his Mongol series is the only one I've listened to, but it's pretty good.

Now, for content:
The best video on Japanese history you will ever see.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

You're talking soley about the European Theater of WWII right, because America was pretty integral to the Pacific Theater.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

saying that the us was irrelevant in wwii is like the 'gently caress you dad school' of wwii historiography.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

McNally posted:

I don't think Einstein had anything to do with it. They just made the crush fuze stronger. I think a spring may have been added.

But the Mk. 14 torpedo debacle basically went like this:

Sub commanders: We think our torpedoes are running to deep.

Bureau of Ordnance: THE TORPEDOES ARE FINE YOU JUST SUCK

Sub commanders: No, really, they're running too deep.

Admiral: Yeah, I did a test. They're running too deep.

Bureau of Ordnance: WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU

Everybody: gently caress you, Ordnance.

Bureau of Ordnance: WE DID A TEST THE TORPEDOES RUN TOO DEEP. THEY'RE OKAY NOW, GO OUT AND SINK SOME SHIPS

Sub commanders: The magnetic influence exploder doesn't work.

Bureau of Ordnance: gently caress YOU IT WORKS FINE YOU JUST CAN'T AIM FOR poo poo

Sub commanders: gently caress you. We're turning off the magnetic exploders.

Bureau of Ordnance: YOU CAN'T TURN OFF THE MAGNETIC EXPLODERS YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Sub commanders: We're getting better results if we deactivate the magnetic influence exploders, but we're also pretty sure that when we hit ships at textbook 90 degree angles, the torpedoes don't explode

Bureau of Ordnance: gently caress YOU THE TORPEDOES ARE PERFECT

Admiral Lockwood: Um, no, I ran a test. We dropped torpedoes onto concrete floors and we fired torpedoes into cliffs. The impact crushes the impact fuzes before it detonates the warhead.

Bureau of Ordnance: WELL THAT'S JUST LIKE YOUR OPINION MAN

Other bits include BUORD sending a guy out to do a torpedo inspection. He proceeded to install a gyroscope backwards (which would have made the torpedo do a circular run and sink the sub that fired it), which was caught by a member of the crew. The guy then wrote up the incident and blamed the crew for his screw-up.

It's good to see some things never change in the Navy.

• Locked thread