Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
In this most venerable of forums, used for the mutual display of idle distractions, I find it most unfortunate that one particular distraction, one that focuses mainly upon the effects of unfathomable evil upon the psyche, has yet to be displayed in any meaningful fashion...

Okay, that's enough of that. Hi there, I'm Probe 17 and I'm here to bring you all a screenshot Let's Play of Darkest Dungeon! Released by Red Hook Studios just this year, Darkest Dungeon is a sort of roguelike RPG, in which you take four-men groups of adventurers into assorted dark and dangerous locales to gather loot and murder eldritch creatures.

The game's plot is that your Ancestor (who shall never be named and provides the game's only real dialogue and narration) managed to unleash all sorts of supernatural nastiness onto your noble family's estate before eating a flintlock and leaving all of this assorted bullshit to you.

Now you have to go back to that estate, and send endless hordes of adventurers to their demise in order to get rid of that aforementioned nastiness and maybe make a profit while you're at it.

Now, your character (usually referred to as The Heir) gets absolutely no personality, and you never appear apart from what might be a silhouette in the very opening cutscene. They have no personality to speak of, and are basically just a stand-in for the player.

However, since I have a flair for the dramatic, I'm going to give the Heir a bit more of a personality. Namely, turning them into a slightly unhinged necromancer/mad scientist. Mostly just to explain how you can wind up with identical adventurers with nearly the exact same skill sets, because suspension of disbelief is for suckers.

As well, I will gladly take names to provide to our adventurers! So, if you want to be sent to your demise in exchange for a handful of gold coins, go on ahead and ask!

Now, let's begin our foray into THE DARKEST DUNGEON!!!

Table O' Contents:
Tutorial: This Post!
Week 1 (Part 1): Here!

“You know, I never quite realized how great having a boring life was until I got to this loving place. First, my distant relative, the one who sent me a “Create Your Own Shoggoth” kit on my tenth birthday, sends me a letter telling me to go back to some estate in the middle of nowhere.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRh_mlAwxTI

“So, being a stupid 20 year old with nothing better to do, I hire some maniac in a suit of armor and a no-poo poo thief to accompany me to this place.”

“And then the wagon crashes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeeOW8iJU3U

: Well, that could have gone worse, I suppose.

: Yeah. I could be bleeding from TWO cuts on my head.

“Oh, stop whining you two. We've only got a short walk to the hamlet, and considering we were only shot at twice, I imagine we'll be fine!”

: Is that why you're so far behind us we can't see you?

“This was on your contract, guys, you go through all the danger, I take the loot from your twitching bodies.”

: Delightful.

So, basically, the main navigation system of the game consists of rooms and hallways. You start in a room, click on a different room you want to go through, then walk down a four-part hallway to get to it. Each section of a hallway can contain obstacles, potential loot, traps, or combats! As this is the tutorial mission, we're only getting loot and combat in this single hallway.

"Oh, and did I forget to mention that my dead relative is now a ghost that talks to me? Because he's a ghost that talks to me."

There's really not a lot to the navigation in this game. You move left or you move right. Moving left causes Stress, which I'll get into whenever it happens to come up. Since we want to actually accomplish things, we'll move right here...

"Oh poo poo! A bandit! Kill it kill it kill it!"

: Hey! Looting innocent travelers is my job, you prick!

Combat in this game is entirely turn-based. Your adventurers have four abilities to choose from, though there are seven maximum ones that they can learn. You choose one of these four abilities, then click on who you want to attack. The abilities operate based on both your character's position in the group, as well as which spaces their abilities target. For example, though I forgot to get a screenshot of it, the Highwayman has a Pistol Shot ability that can only target the last three enemies. Since there is only one, in the first position, I'm incapable of using it. Instead, I go for stabbing our bandit friend in the goddamn throat.

This does a good chunk of damage, and also inflicts Bleed on the poor bastard. Bleed does a set amount of damage every turn until the opponent dies or the effect wears off.

This is, however, completely ignored because our Crusader goes next and he chops this bandit in loving half.

: Another evildoer soundly slain!

: Quick, check his pockets!

"I call dibs on any precious gems!"

: :sigh:

"Aw, bullshit! This is barely enough for a pack of gum!"

Yeah, since this is the tutorial mission, we're not exactly going to be making mad loot here. We've apparently murdered this poor bandit for the gold equivalent of his lunch money. Rest In Piece, yon gentle murderer.

"Whatever, let's just keep going."

"Hell yes! We've found their camp! Quick, loot the tent, they've gotta have something good here!"

: I'm immediately regretting my decision to join you

: Sorry, did you say something? I can't hear you over all this loot!

And here's the haul! Now, this still isn't much, considering how much loot's available in later missions. But this is still a decent chunk of change.

: I still say we return this to the villagers.

"And we will! By spending it on supplies, booze and prostitutes! Assuming the brothel's still open, anyhow..."

We head through the door at the end of the hall, revealing...

"Oh jesus more bandits! Help! Police!"

: More bandits means more loot! Lemme at 'em!

Unfortunately, the bandits surprise us. This fucks up our party order, resulting in our Crusader being behind our Highwayman. This isn't a problem for the Crusader, but for our Highwayman, he loses access to two of his skills. Thus, I spend his turn getting him back into position.

And then this bastard shoots us.

: Thank The Light old guns kinda suck!

"Help! The big one's looking at me! I don't wanna get whipped guys!"

: "Bubba like tiny robe man!!!"

"Oh Light please not my anus :cry:"

: Hold on, I got this.

: Jesus, it's like trying to cut a ham with a butter knife! What does this guy eat?!?

: Bubba offended by rape accusation and fat joke! Bubba upstanding member of bandit community!

: "I still feel a little... unclean..."

Now then, the whip attack of the Brigand Bloodletter both inflicts Bleed AND Stress. Stress is sort of the "Sanity Meter" of the game. Heroes start at zero stress, and can go up to 200. At 100 Stress, Heroes can either receive Afflictions, or Resolves. We'll get to those as they come. When heroes gain 200 Stress, they have Heart Attacks and automatically go to Death's Door. Once again, we'll discuss that when we get to it.

Combat continues more or less the same, with both sides getting in some decent hits, until...

: Holy Christ he whipped me in the eyes!

: poo poo! Bubba sorry! Bubba thought would dodge!

Crits are pretty horrible when you're hit by them. Along with doing more damage, Crits also inflict A LOT of stress to your party members. You don't want to get a lot of crits inflicted on you. That would be bad.

"Hey hey hey! Watch the eyes there! I need those!"

More combat, which I will spare you from because turn-based battles are boring in screen-shot form...

: You kill Kenneth! Bastard!

: I was going to just knock him out until he made that reference.

With the death of our foes comes more loot, including an Accessory! Each hero has two accessory slots. Most of them have both a benefit and a downside. This one offers Blight Resistance (basically resistance to the game's "poison" effect) in exchange for making Heroes worse at dodging.

Our quest is officially complete! However, sharp-eyed readers may have noticed the treasure chest in the room!

: I sure did!

: Uh, hey, Dismas? I know I've already been characterized as a total fuddy-duddy who hates stealing, but don't open that chest.

: Screw you, man! Loot!

: :kingsley:

And with that little diversion out of the way, we're done with the mission! There's a screen that displays the loot you've received...

But our main concern is the screen after that! This one displays any quirks your characters may have received after combat!

And it seems Dismas has acquired two!

: After getting whipped, shot, and poisoned, I need a stiff loving drink and a puppy to kick.

And with that ends our first episode of Darkest Dungeon! Next time, we enter the Hamlet, gain new allies, and begin our first trip into The Ruins! See you all then!

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
And so it begins...

Remember brave soul, whether you win or lose...

Damnation awaits you. :cthulhu:

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 24, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This is one of those games that I've been meaning to buy for a year or so, but I've always been caught up in other games. I'm interested to see where this goes.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 24, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Reynald, hating stealing? That's a laugh, he's always with Klepomania, so he steals all the time.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

grandalt posted:

Reynald, hating stealing? That's a laugh, he's always with Klepomania, so he steals all the time.

He's a Crusader. That means he's got to at least pretend he's a good person.

something something not-christian hypocrisy

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Because I have nothing better to do, and I figured the first update was kinda small, I've decided to post Part 2 relatively early!

Welcome back, friends! When we left off, we had just arrived at the Hamlet! This little town shall be our official home for the duration of this Let's Play! As of now, we only have a stage coach, a graveyard, and a place to watch cutscenes we've already seen. The graveyard and memoir thing are relatively unimportant for now, so let's just focus on the stage coach!

: New adventurers for you, my liege!

“Ho-lee gently caress you're creepy. Let me guess, you come with the estate?”

: Yes, sir! And might I add that your insult reminds me ever so much of my last master!

“Uh, neat. Please, get back on the carriage, and don't leave until I'm out of sight.”

: Right away, sir!

The carriage provides you with all the adventurers you'll ever need. You can take adventurers for free, and you get new ones every week. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that you always receive a Plague Doctor and a Vestal as your first new adventurers...

: By The Light, that carriage is cramped! And the doctor here was consuming odd mixtures across from me!

: It was whiskey, you twit. I'm a doctor, not an alchemist.

“Oh, man, I can tell this group's going to do fantastically.”

The Plague Doctor focuses mostly on debuffing and Blighting enemies, with some bleed and healing on the side. Vestals are sort of all over, though they do have quite a few healing abilities to work with.

Now that we've hired these two, let's see what abilities we've got to play around with!

Our Plague Doctor has a pretty decent arrangement of skills, so it seems! Noxious blast can be used from the back three positions, targets one of the front two enemies, and inflicts four damage worth of Blight over 3 rounds. Plague Grenade does much the same, but it instead targets both of the back two enemies. Battlefield Medicine restores one health, and also removes Blight and Bleed from the heal's target. Disorienting Blast shuffles enemies, and removes Corpses (which I will describe in more detail when we get to them.) She also does 5 percent less damage with melee attacks (she has none), and has a 10% chance to scout ahead in The Cove (which we haven't unlocked)!

Our Vestal's skills are Judgement, a skill which targets any enemy and does 20 percent less than her base damage. However, it also heals her for three health when she uses it! Divine Grace is your standard healing ability, restoring 3-5 health. That's right, even the amount you heal is dependent on the RNG smiling upon you! Illumination reduces an enemy's dodge chance and increases the light of your torch (yadda yadda get to it later), and Hand Of Light reduces enemy damage and accuracy, while also being more effective against Unholy (basically undead) enemies! She also takes less Stress Damage in the Warrens (another area we haven't unlocked yet, filled with demon pig men), gets extra damage when her health is low, and has a chance to inspect certain things while in hallways.

Now then, on to the mission select screen!

As of right now, our only option for adventuring is the Ruins, a location full to the brim with both undead and cultists. As well, we only have four heroes to send in. Conveniently, the maximum number of adventurers you can send in at a time is four! We even get a nifty little title for our party based on the positions everyone is in!

"Ah, gently caress, it's you again."

: Yes, sir! 'Tis I who runs the 7-11!

"Uh... you mean the adventuring supply store?"

: Might I offer thee a slushie? Or a sausage, only three days old!

: That sausage is crawling with maggots.

: Yes, miss! A local delicacy!

Now comes the Provisioning stage. I can spend gold on supplies for the party, such as Food, Torches, and various items used to both buff/heal the party and get loot. There's a fine line between being under-prepared and over-prepared, and since I'm bad at video games I'm probably going to cross it at every available opportunity.

I'm inevitably going to get called a wasteful idiot for this, but I find that carrying one of everything is usually a good idea. A fair warning in advance, I don't know all the item combinations off the top of my head. There will most likely be some wasted items or other negative effects.

: The ancestral home of the Darkest estate... A sight shabbier than I'd have thought.

: Fascinating. The air reeks of decay here... A recent slaughter, perhaps?

"I'd put money on undead, Bourdet. My ancestor had some... interesting proclivities..."

Now, the interesting thing about the first Ruins expedition is that it's the same for every playthrough. This is more of a mercy, an attempt to show you how the game's dungeons work. Every other dungeon in the game (except possibly the final one) is randomly generated. This can and will gently caress you if you go in expecting things to be like this dungeon. The first hallway is entirely uninteresting, consisting of a single torch. The room, however...

: Undead! We must end their darkness!

: Ugh. Never had much of a stomach for undead. Things what get put in the ground ought to stay there...

"Oh, uh, really? Hm, awfully glad you didn't actually read the contract then..."

Bone Rabble are, simply put, some of the easiest enemies in the game. Eight health, no protection, and attacks that do relatively little damage. Conveniently, Reynauld's Smite attack does extra damage to Unholy enemies, which are the exact type of enemy the Bone Rabbles are. Another quick fun fact about Bone Rabbles: They have a 200% chance to resist Bleed, a fact shared by the majority of Unholy enemies in the game.

: Back to the grave, wretched creature!

"Huh, didn't expect these things to be carrying cash... well, loot's loot..."

: Well, Dismas?

: Hell no! Not after last time! You get it, Mr. Goody Two Shoes!

: Well, if you insist...

: You're loving kidding me.

"Huh, doubt these things would do much good as far as trade goes... Maybe they're worth something to the citizens..."

The non-shovel items in this strongbox are known as Heirlooms. You use them to upgrade the Hamlet, except for the Graveyard and Memoirs.

"What the hell is this?!? Come on, this place isn't THAT dilapitated!"

This is an Obstacle. There's a type of this in each dungeon. You need a Shovel to clear it out, or else you take HP and Stress damage, and your torch goes down. Speaking of which, now is as good a time as any to mention the Torch mechanic.

Basically, you have a Light Level that you constantly need to maintain. With a high torch level, you have extra chance to scout ahead and surprise enemies. Low torch level means you take extra stress, and enemies do more damage. However, with a low torch, you also gain more critical hits and more loot. I personally like to keep my torch level high, but to each their own.

Unfortunately, I've been slacking on keeping my torch high, and so we've been surprised.

: Two "warriors of light", a petty thief, and a physician? Hmph, I'd have thought the "Darkest Heir" would send a more formidable force.

Now, cultists like this one are pretty nasty to fight. They don't do a lot of damage, but they DO move around party members, and inflict a lot of stress.

: I don't suppose your dark masters provided you a "Protection From Anthrax" spell?

Thankfully, our Plague Doctor has her own tricks.

After a little bit spent getting everyone back in position, the enemies take their attack.

They are... less than effective.

We have to do a bit more finagling of troops, and Dismas gets slashed open by a skeleton. Come Reynauld's turn...

: I am beginning to regret my decision to mock you...

And then...

"Yeah, SCIENCE, BITCH!"

: Please stop.

And then...

: With my last breath, I curse my reliance on CC!

The skeletons get their poo poo pushed in, and loot is had.

: Huh, the cultist lady had a flier on her... "This Sunday, XXX Shub-Niggurtah Fertility Gathering... 15 tentacles, zero clothing..." OH GOD MY RESOLVE IS BEING TESTED

Moving on...

"Hey Reynauld what're you-"

"Reynauld what-"

"YOU HYPOCRITICAL SON OF A BITCH WHAT WOULD YOU EVEN DO WITH A PAINTING AND A KEY?!?"

Yeah, as pointed about by the lovely grandalt, Reynauld starts every game with the "Kleptomaniac" quirk, which causes him to occasional check Treasure Curios and claim the loot therein for himself. It's horrible.

In the next room...

: RIP AND TEAR!

: Oh my god, Keith, stop talking like that, you used to be an accountant.

: I thought it was intimidating...

Cultist Brawlers focus heavily on dealing raw damage, increasing stress damage, and inflicting Bleed. They're a big pain in the neck too, especially when they crit.

: My blood! He punched out all my blood!

Like so. Thankfully, aside from some more party-movement shenanigans and some stress damage, the fight goes relatively well.

"Montague, you get it this time. Dismas is traumatized, Bourdet's busy poking at corpses, and if Reynauld gets too close to the treasure I might literally castrate him.

: Uh, no offense boss, but I'd rather eat one of my own plague grenades than that food. And they're literally made of leather and pus from buboes.

"No, uh, that's fine... I don't like the look of that jerky, anyways."

: I have no idea what you pansies are going on about, this tastes great! I think it's pork, maybe?

Holy gently caress this post is huge. I think we're gonna cut things off here and finish the dungeon tomorrow. I might also test out a new idea next post. See you guys next time, when we finish the dungeon!

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 24, 2016

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Will you be showing off what items enhance or modify dungeon curio loot tables?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

KazigluBey posted:

Will you be showing off what items enhance or modify dungeon curio loot tables?

Yes, definitely! I apologize for not showing off the Key + Heirloom Chest combo, my capturing finger is horrendously slow. I'll be sure to show those off as they come up!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing this today, and then I party wiped and lost four level 6 heroes against the first Cove boss and I never want to play it again. So I'll be following this.

The first thing to do in every playthrough is immediately fire Reynauld

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
So, a quick question for everyone who reads the thread and bothers to reply: Would the thread be more interesting and a bit less of a hassle to read if I just recorded the fights and posted them to my Youtube channel? I'm having too much fun with the current screenshot style to abandon it completely, but I'd rather not just be like "THERE WAS A FIGHT HERE, IT'S GONE NOW" every time we run into the exact same group of enemies. So, thoughts?

EDIT: Or perhaps I could do a sort of "highlight reel"? Edit together the fights that are most interesting or result in some manner of consequence and string them into one long video?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The fights can get real repetitive, I'd go for a highlight reel with any new enemies, anything interesting happening, poo poo going completely sideways, that kind of thing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Probe 17 posted:

I'm inevitably going to get called a wasteful idiot for this, but I find that carrying one of everything is usually a good idea. A fair warning in advance, I don't know all the item combinations off the top of my head. There will most likely be some wasted items or other negative effects.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :supaburn:

Incidentally, I'm playing DD after a long absence from the Early Access version (I think Cove wasn't even added yet?) and holy poo poo did they ever tune that first expedition to be crazy easy.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
You'll all be glad to know that the next post is on the way! I just need to get a couple videos uploaded and then we'll be all set!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My brother has been raving at me like a crazy person over this game (rather appropriate...) so I'm interested to see more of it.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Well, welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. Unfortunately, I had some lovely footage of the final dungeon battle for you, but it was destroyed thanks to FRAPS being a pain in the rear end. So, instead, I'm just gonna show you the highlights of our final moments in the first dungeon and move on to bigger, better things.

: OH GOD

Traps!

"No, wait, I think you make a left turn there... Or was it here..."

Scouting!

: I know you're mad, but I think hitting me with that spare shovel was a bit much...

Loot!

: What?!? Just because I ate dungeon jerky doesn't mean I'm a food addict!

: No, just stupid.

Crippling mental problems!

And now, we have access to Stress Relief facilities in the Hamlet! Which I will explain to you lovely people... after we check out our new arrivals!

A grave robber and a Man-at-arms! Both lovely additions to the party!

: So what's this about a battle against evil?

: Your motivations are your own. I'm here for the loot!

Meanwhile, in the barracks...

: Weird. I feel really, really angry and I'm not sure why...

Back at the carriage...

"Welcome aboard you two! Now, sign here, there, and there, and I'm going to need a blood sample and a finger!"

: What?

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! The finger's optional."

And now, stress relief! Unlike health, Stress isn't restored when you get back to the Hamlet. That poo poo sticks with ya. So, how does an aspiring meat-grinder operator heal the bigger chunks of steak? With booze and church, of course! The tavern offers drinking, gambling and a fully-stocked brothel... which the Caretaker is currently enjoying.

PICTURED: WHAT HE NO-poo poo SAYS WHEN YOU HOVER OVER HIS ICON.

"It's a good thing he makes a drat fine slushie..."

I can spend heirlooms I gather from dungeons to upgrade buildings like this, adding more slots to activities, increasing the amount of stress they relieve, or reducing their general cost. As it is, I'm probably going to save up a little bit, until I have more heroes. Though I will pump an upgrade into the Stagecoach Network so I have more heroes to choose from.

Pictured: The origin of our thread's title, and Bubba's day job.

Anyways, enough of that, let's check out or new adventurers and then do some exploring!

Our grave robber seems to focus mostly on staying in the back, with her poison darts providing a decent source of Blight and her daggers hitting the middle two enemies. If that fails, she can Lunge forward, dealing a decent amount of damage and moving her up, and then Shadow Fade, stunning an enemy, moving her back and increasing her dodge.

Our Man-at-arms, on the other hand, seems to have a pretty decent mix of skills, two powerful attacks, a move ability, a debuff, and a buff provide him with a lot of potential.

Now then, after throwing Dismas and Bourdet into church, I send a team of our Crusader, Vestal, MAA and Grave Robber out into the Ruins to do their thing!

"Okay, now then, as a reminder, stealing is okay... as long as you don't do it to me. THEN I hit you with a shovel."

: No need to tell me twice. Don't think I didn't read that organ donation clause in the contract.

Now, before we begin, I figure I should remind readers that I'm not exactly 100% the best at this game. There is a very good chance I will screw up something a better player than myself would complete easily. This is not an LP to read/watch if you want perfect play, this LP is mostly to show off a game I'm fond of and provide my attempts at humor. And with that, away we go!

This is the map we're dealing with on this mission. I need to kill every room battle in this place before the mission is complete. Without any Scouting, this might take a while.

I head to the left, and immediately run into...

A locked cabinet! Reynauld's looter sense begins tingling...

But the lock is trapped! Thankfully, it's only one of those fake-gum mousetrap things...

But then The Heir stabs him with a penknife for his blatant disrespect.

"WHAT DID I loving TELL YOU, REYNAULD?!?"

Okay, jokes aside, this is why Reynauld's kleptomania sucks. He'll immediately go for treasure, and won't even use items that make the curios safe and/or profitable.

In the very same hallway, we find an Iron Maiden! Unfortunately, I'm not a big enough fan of the band to make any good jokes, so instead I'll just use some Medicinal Herbs on the thing.

For our troubles, we receive loot! Certain items will always have effects when applied to certain curios. These combinations often have good results, such as providing loot or healing! There's also a battle with two bone rabbles in this corridor, but I literally only take damage from Reynauld's bleeding. We receive 800 gold from their twitching corpses and move on.

The next room holds nothing of interest, but our next corridor fight introduces a new enemy, The Madman! Technically, the Bone Courtier and Bone Arbalest aren't new, but due to my footage being ruined they might as well be. The madman bites it early in, but the video does provide a decent idea of what the Arbalest and Courtier are capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxXVFwaijiE

Reynauld encounters a sack in the hallway, and...

"REYNAAAAAAAAAAAAAULD!!!"

Our first room battle comes next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTPhDexGTIc

And our poor MAA gets the absolute poo poo beaten out of him. At least there's loot!

...not really worth it, I think. Ah well, onwards!

Incidentally, we scout ahead for the next hallway, and manage to discover a trap! Thankfully, our grave robber handles it admirably.

We also discover some gold in a sack, that Reynauld DOESN'T steal! The room ahead proves empty, but we scout ahead and discover a room battle! Then-

"REYNAULD I SWEAR TO THE loving LIGHT"

Whatever. Then, we get to a room battle, and things get out of hand pretty quickly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StU3EghHcn4

Well, after that clusterfuck, I think it's about time we head home... Join us next time, where hopefully things don't go to hell quite as badly as they did this time... seriously, loving blanket fire? God I suck...

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 27, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Probe 17 posted:

The tavern offers drinking, gambling and a fully-stocked brother

I'm glad there's a place where the Hulkster gets to hang out with all his brothers and the little Hulkamaniacs, dude!

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lady Naga posted:

I'm glad there's a place where the Hulkster gets to hang out with all his brothers and the little Hulkamaniacs, dude!

Oh my god, I didn't even notice that. Thank you for pointing it out in the funniest way possible.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously fire Reynauld immediately, you even got a MAA to take his place

That guy is the bane of my life

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

So what effect do the medicinal herbs actually have when used on an iron maiden?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kavingi posted:

So what effect do the medicinal herbs actually have when used on an iron maiden?

Yeah, certain things could use a little more explanation, such as that.

Also, any chance we could do some thread participation, name people, give you personality ideas, vote on party composition for future excursions, etc?

This is a really good game for that sort of thing, and there's the expectation that our guys are going to eventually die anyway, so the waiting list won't exactly take for-loving ever to get through.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Kavingi posted:

There are a lot of things to find in the dungeons, just interacting normally can either result in finding something good, or more likely something bad happening. Using the right item on it can ensure a good find. I won't list too much for spoilers, but based on what has been seen so far:

-Medicinal Herbs on Iron Maidens, alchemy tables, and carcasses = goodies found
-Keys on locked chests and display cases = goodies

Sometimes you can get an almost as good result if necessary. Using a shovel on a display case breaks the glass, but you won't get as much as if you had used a key. Later on, knowing what you're likely to find in a particular dungeon plays a big role in how you outfit a party.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, certain things could use a little more explanation, such as that.

Also, any chance we could do some thread participation, name people, give you personality ideas, vote on party composition for future excursions, etc?

This is a really good game for that sort of thing, and there's the expectation that our guys are going to eventually die anyway, so the waiting list won't exactly take for-loving ever to get through.

I did mention in the first post that I'd gladly take names for characters. Personalities are more or less set in stone for most characters, but I'd be willing to take a few suggestions. Party compositions work too, so make any suggestions you'd like! I'll consider them.

Also, I'll try to provide more explanation for what item/curio combinations actually do. Sorry I haven't been the best at that, yknow?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the item and curio interactions are just completely unintuitive. I'm thinking mainly of medicinal herbs/eerie coral and torch/pile of scrolls, both of which remove a negative trait so they're some of the best interactions available, especially in the early game, but it took me a lot of wasted supply items to figure that out

I mean no doubt there's a guide that lists all of them but I feel like looking at it would go completely against the spirit of this game

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Crane Fist posted:

Some of the item and curio interactions are just completely unintuitive. I'm thinking mainly of medicinal herbs/eerie coral and torch/pile of scrolls, both of which remove a negative trait so they're some of the best interactions available, especially in the early game, but it took me a lot of wasted supply items to figure that out

I mean no doubt there's a guide that lists all of them but I feel like looking at it would go completely against the spirit of this game

Yeah, in case you couldn't tell from my ineffectual fumbling at the end of the last video, I definitely won't be using any guides. This is good for casual viewers, and bad for me and people who are good at the game. I'm still pretty upset I lost our Grave Robber on Week 2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As a total noob here, could you perhaps give a rundown on the classes and what they are supposed to do? A skill breakdown and a list of "quirks" and what they do wouldn't go awry, either.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Junpei posted:

As a total noob here, could you perhaps give a rundown on the classes and what they are supposed to do? A skill breakdown and a list of "quirks" and what they do wouldn't go awry, either.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Heroes

You really want to tailor your teams to the dungeon your heading into. If you're going to be facing undead, then bring folks who can blight as well as heavy hitters like the Crusader. If you're facing living..things.. then bleeds can be useful.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Rabidredneck posted:

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Heroes

You really want to tailor your teams to the dungeon your heading into. If you're going to be facing undead, then bring folks who can blight as well as heavy hitters like the Crusader. If you're facing living..things.. then bleeds can be useful.

Thank you.
And from what I've read, there were updates to this game. Are you playing the most recently updated version, Probe?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Junpei posted:

Thank you.
And from what I've read, there were updates to this game. Are you playing the most recently updated version, Probe?

Yeah, I'm playing the most recent update, don't worry!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
You mentioned being a bit slow with the screenshot button. As long as you're recording video, I suggest you record everything; that way, you can have whatever screenshot you want after the fact!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Name a hound master after me because hound masters own.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Houndmasters are good but situational as gently caress and you really need a bounty hunter or occultist with vunerability hex to get the best out of them and even then that combo is only really useful in two out of the four areas

The best class is the Man at Arms who is great to have in literally every possible situation, name one after me and then hide behind him forever

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Crane Fist posted:

You have to remember that this is based heavily on things like Lovecraft, where knowledge mostly just causes suffering and despair, so destroying knowledge makes sense that it would make you feel better.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ahhhh someone beat me to a Darkest Dungeon LP.

I was gonna do a video one but have had all my time chewed up recently :v:

Looking forward to enjoying yours Probe 17.

If we are shotgunning names I wanna be a Barbarian.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Crane Fist posted:

Houndmasters are good but situational as gently caress and you really need a bounty hunter or occultist with vunerability hex to get the best out of them and even then that combo is only really useful in two out of the four areas

The best class is the Man at Arms who is great to have in literally every possible situation, name one after me and then hide behind him forever

oh yea for actual functionality the hound master is basically only good for bosses, but he has the best quips.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm calling Leper.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Probe 17 posted:

Yeah, in case you couldn't tell from my ineffectual fumbling at the end of the last video, I definitely won't be using any guides. This is good for casual viewers, and bad for me and people who are good at the game. I'm still pretty upset I lost our Grave Robber on Week 2.

This LP is a slow and insidious killer.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CongoJack posted:

oh yea for actual functionality the hound master is basically only good for bosses, but he has the best quips.

This is true. The Leper and the Grave Robber are also up there

True about the bosses though, how are you supposed to even do the second Warrens boss without a houndmaster I mean seriously

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016
Dang, somebody already called a Leper. Gotta love the Leper. Good for everything except most bosses.

I'll take a Barbarian or Grave Robber.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Please name a Plague Doctor after me I really like them!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'll happily sign up as a Grave Robber!

• Locked thread