Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Sign me up as a Jester or Abomination.

Also, think you could go over some of the traits characters start with or gain at the end of dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Another Abomination or Leper here to help. Also this has been very amusing to read and I like the voices you have going for each character.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Make me an occultist please, thise is my favorite classes because of his unreliablity.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Man-At-Arms, if you would. Tanks are fun.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

If you're taking names I'd like a leper, gotta love the class that just keeps stubbornly doing its poo poo while the world goes to hell.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
throwing my name in the hat for occultist/highwayman
it would be out of place as anything else... especially the vestal

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Reynauld and Dismas are bros for life. All you do is lock the Klepto in a padded room and apply beatings therapy as soon as you can. They form the spearhead of my early parties.

I come seeking glory and treasure!

E: I'm good for whatever class you want to chuck me on.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 4, 2016

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
If you don't mind I'd like to be an Arbalest if possible. They're very useful against most bosses.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

akulanization posted:

If you're taking names I'd like a leper, gotta love the class that just keeps stubbornly doing its poo poo while the world goes to hell.

Its poo poo being missing with attacks again and again while bleeding profusely, right

I know they haven't been covered by the LP yet, but does anyone know how afflictions really work? Are they class-specific or anything? Like lepers always seem to get masochistic, occultists always get irrational, etc. Is it just confirmation bias on my part?

Incidentally every single time I've had a grave robber or plague doctor get afflicted, they've rolled Courageous. Good class best class

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 4, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

Its poo poo being missing with attacks again and again while bleeding profusely, right

More murdering everything in the first two columns unless it gets knocked back while staying at high hp and lower than half the party's average stress. Their hit chance only sucks before you can upgrade their skills, after that it improves at the same rate as everyone else's. I mean you want a good +Acc trinket for them, but if you do they have 0-5% less hit on average than the other frontline classes, which is hardly crippling.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They also now have the highest base damage in game after a recent update I'm pretty sure. The only thing matching is the transformed Abomination.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Sign me up as a Jester, a class of questionable value most of the time but super useful if you plan on using the abomination.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Captian Nuke posted:

Sign me up as a Jester, a class of questionable value most of the time but super useful if you plan on using the abomination.

It was great in beta when the Jester could keep your entire party near 0 stress constantly. :toot:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

akulanization posted:

More murdering everything in the first two columns unless it gets knocked back while staying at high hp and lower than half the party's average stress. Their hit chance only sucks before you can upgrade their skills, after that it improves at the same rate as everyone else's. I mean you want a good +Acc trinket for them, but if you do they have 0-5% less hit on average than the other frontline classes, which is hardly crippling.

I tend to only really use them at low levels because they're dead weight against all the bosses and you can't heal them with the occultist because of their lovely bleed resist (which makes sense I know) which if you've got enemies causing bleed as well means you've got to take a vestal/plague doctor combo and hope for the best or waste his turn on healing because he'll be leaking like a sieve

I've been playing DD a lot and it's good having a place to talk about it where they haven't already had every possible convo

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

I tend to only really use them at low levels because they're dead weight against all the bosses and you can't heal them with the occultist because of their lovely bleed resist (which makes sense I know) which if you've got enemies causing bleed as well means you've got to take a vestal/plague doctor combo and hope for the best or waste his turn on healing because he'll be leaking like a sieve

I've been playing DD a lot and it's good having a place to talk about it where they haven't already had every possible convo

They're really good against the 50+% of the bosses though (both warrens bosses, the necromancer, and the brigand cannon, siren)? High single-target damage is what you want against bosses that that's exactly what they have. I wouldn't pair a Occultists a static party as healers, Vestals heal more on average (and have better access to +healing trinkets) as long as you keep them in the back lines of the party. Occultists shine when you have a party that shuffles its own ranks, since they have skills for almost every position.

Lepers also have a ton of hp, and a strong selfheal the increases their resists; they don't care much about DoT effects because 2hp/round for 3 rounds is like 15% or less of their hp pool and the damage is nulled out if the leper spends a single turn healing himself. At higher difficulty having a Plague Doctor is a good idea if you are using a leper, not only because of the DoT removal but also because Lepers get the greatest benefit from the Plague Doctor buff.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Leper is the only choice against the Brigand Cannon, true. Run with one against the Siren and holy poo poo, your entire team just got hewed in half, gently caress. He works against the Necromancer, but taking him into that fight uses up a space that I'd save for a second Crusader, since they can hit more ranks than him with a straight bonus. I can see how he'd work against the first Warrens boss, but that would break up my Arbalest/Occultist/Houndmaster/Bounty Hunter dream team for that fight (mark of death, fucker!) and against the second you want people who can hit every rank in case the first two go horse and shrug off damage. Just pour on the bleeding and let it leak away.

Maybe just don't take them to the Cove past Level 3 without a PD or six ton of bandages and a vestal. I'm just mad because they won't fight alongside the Abomination. Glass houses, dude!

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clearing all corpses in the necromancer fight is pretty good, with that and knocking the newly spawned dummy back into the rear of the enemies you can put the necromancer in range of your frontliners. It works pretty well. The crusader doesn't hit rear ranks outside of an ability that can't be used except in the rear, so while theoretically it is able to hit more squares it's a lot of work to make that happen.

Against the Siren he actually has above average debuff resistance (and he can increase it), so he's less likely than most of the other frontline characters to get stolen; granted if he does end up on the other team it's a disaster since he'll come back in the back rank.

The way I see it the Leper is a solid class that doesn't really combo with much, he's almost exactly as good in one lineup as another. And they're pretty much reliably good against most enemies. Though they do suffer with or against movement effects; the Leper's biggest problem is that if you really like Jesters and Grave Robbers their constant movement just doesn't work with what a Leper wants to do. I tend to bring teams that look like (back rank damage)/Vestal/(Dodgy Guy that hits the back)/Crusader|Leper. Though putting in a rear rank Man at Arms and using revenge can be pretty funny.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I figure that the Leper with a Grave-robber/Jester might be a good way to mitigate his weakness to being moved. He's slow anyway so they're likely to go ahead of him so their movement abilities can speed up getting the Leper back in place surely?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Put me down as a Vestal.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

akulanization posted:

Clearing all corpses in the necromancer fight is pretty good, with that and knocking the newly spawned dummy back into the rear of the enemies you can put the necromancer in range of your frontliners. It works pretty well. The crusader doesn't hit rear ranks outside of an ability that can't be used except in the rear, so while theoretically it is able to hit more squares it's a lot of work to make that happen.

Against the Siren he actually has above average debuff resistance (and he can increase it), so he's less likely than most of the other frontline characters to get stolen; granted if he does end up on the other team it's a disaster since he'll come back in the back rank.

The way I see it the Leper is a solid class that doesn't really combo with much, he's almost exactly as good in one lineup as another. And they're pretty much reliably good against most enemies. Though they do suffer with or against movement effects; the Leper's biggest problem is that if you really like Jesters and Grave Robbers their constant movement just doesn't work with what a Leper wants to do. I tend to bring teams that look like (back rank damage)/Vestal/(Dodgy Guy that hits the back)/Crusader|Leper. Though putting in a rear rank Man at Arms and using revenge can be pretty funny.

The nice thing about having the Crusader along for the Necromancer fight is he's a lot better at clearing trash and if the bastard summons a Bulwark or a General you can use him to stun their rear end over and over until the rest of the team is ready to gang up, and if that fails he can eat movement attacks and then use holy lance to get back to the front. I wouldn't take a Leper into the Siren fight, but that's mainly because I did the first time I tried it and he got stolen and one-shotted my GR with a crit. The one loving time he didn't miss in that fight... Of course at this point we're quibbling minor points of strategy and it's probably real tedious for everyone apart from us to read, so let's move on!

Having a Man at Arms in the back rank is hilarious, you can use Guard and Revenge and then laugh as anyone who attacks your frontline bounces off his face and gets beasted for their trouble

I change teams depending on the area, but my standard mob would be arbalest / occultist / houndmaster or bounty hunter / man at arms, those guys can deal with pretty much anything

Lord_Magmar posted:

I figure that the Leper with a Grave-robber/Jester might be a good way to mitigate his weakness to being moved. He's slow anyway so they're likely to go ahead of him so their movement abilities can speed up getting the Leper back in place surely?

The problem is that the abilities they've got that move them back- especially the GR- are lovely and only really useful in an emergency

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crane Fist posted:

The problem is that the abilities they've got that move them back- especially the GR- are lovely and only really useful in an emergency

Actually a Highwayman/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter combo that uses point blank shot/fade/finish him is really good.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Actually a Highwayman/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter combo that uses point blank shot/fade/finish him is really good.

I tried this and it completely owns against single targets as long as they don't have good dodge or stun resist, which is a surprising amount of them

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crane Fist posted:

I tried this and it completely owns against single targets as long as they don't have good dodge or stun resist, which is a surprising amount of them

Worked fine for me in the Weald :shrug:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Works like a charm in the Warrens too, but the Ruins? Not so much. Maybe I was just unlucky, but the cultists seem to step around point-blank shot like it's not even there

I also tried ditching the GR and just having two highwaymen in the front ranks just swapping back and forth with their shots, with a man at arms in the back using guard on one and a vestal to keep the other alive, which was hilarious

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crane Fist posted:

Works like a charm in the Warrens too, but the Ruins? Not so much. Maybe I was just unlucky, but the cultists seem to step around point-blank shot like it's not even there

I also tried ditching the GR and just having two highwaymen in the front ranks just swapping back and forth with their shots, with a man at arms in the back using guard on one and a vestal to keep the other alive, which was hilarious

Yeah the two highwaymen strat is awesome. houndmaster/bounty hunter/grave robber/highwayman is awesome for weald though, since the HM can bleed everyone if there's a bunch of dudes OR mark for death for the bounty hunter if there aren't.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I might try that one out next, I need to find a lineup that can reliably do something against a giant other than immediately die messily under a treebranch

NOTHING WORKS

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Another hat hat in the ring, make me whatever.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Sure, sign me up. Preferably an Arbalest or Hellion, but whatever is fine.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If you're taking names, sign me up for some front-liner that will die early and horrifically.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sign me up as either an Occultist or a Abomination.

Epochol
Mar 19, 2009

I always wondered how this game looked. Sign me up as whoever you need.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I wish to sign up as a Leper or Houndmaster.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm seeing a lot of signing up for the game and tactics chat, and not a lot of posting from Probe 17. Who last posted in this thread, and anywhere on the forums, March 7. :ohdear:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm seeing a lot of signing up for the game and tactics chat, and not a lot of posting from Probe 17. Who last posted in this thread, and anywhere on the forums, March 7. :ohdear:

Poor guy won Darkest Dungon, witnessed the terrible truth of the universe, went insane and was institutionalized, all in a 24 hour period.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lepeeeeer

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Life caught up with me hard, and I've had no time for this LP!!! I'll try to get started back up, though I may need to start over from the beginning. Sorry, folks!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
If you're still taking names for characters, I wouldn't mind being an Occultist

Also, this game rocks so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
There's always room for more characters, given their average survival span.

Sign me up for a frontline disposable meat shie Man at Arms.

• Locked thread