Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's been like 5 years now you all should know the drill. I have a farm with sheep and goats and rabbits and guinea pigs and an rear end in a top hat dog. Several of those things have babies every year and I post the pictures. Feel free to ask questions no matter how dumb you might think they are. I assure you I have heard stupider things and answered with a smile. Also feel free to post any farm animals, both babby and non-babby you might encounter.

I have been up since 4 so I will perhaps make a better OP later? Here is last year's thread in the meantime.

Anyway you're all just here for this stuff. Grade A, high octane baby lambs.

Oh yeah, check it out.

These are twin romeldales born at 5 this morning to Eleanor. She was as big as a house so I expected another one but she's just an enormous sheep. That's cool. The dark one is a ram, the light one is a ewe.

The girl is looking a little droopy but her mouth is warm so she's probably fine. If she's still looking off in an hour or two I'll tube her.

I spend the first day or two in a panic thinking babies are about to die at any second but really it's just that being born is hard work and they need to rest up a bit.

These guys are just the first wave. The rest of the girls are due starting March 9th and are almost all due within a week of each other so it should be nuts. After the last couple of years I'm really looking forward to a million spotty jacob babies running amok and generally being alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:neckbeard: Can't wait to see more!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yay it's babby time!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was brutally savaged by tiny sheep. RIP me.

When they were done they needed to take a nap with mom.

Hopefully it will be less dark and rainy tomorrow so I can take some pictures with my real camera. I'm really happy with these little guys :kimchi:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Oh, the humanity! I wouldn't mind being brutally savaged in such a way.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
They look like excellent spotty ships. Can't wait for more!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Congratulations to Eleanor! Congratulations to you InstantJellyfish! ADORABLE babies... looking forward to more in a few weeks :)

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
A fine crop of lambs so far. 10/10 would cuddle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lambs are doing lamb things and getting bigger and stronger by the day. I was worried about having lambs in February but it's been a good year for it and they have figured out where the heat lamp is pretty quickly. They are good little babbies who like to bounce around and try to suckle your nose. Someone has already expressed interest in the little ram if I decide not to keep him but no one has been quite able to figure out what color pattern he is.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Omigosh look at those eyebrows! Glad to hear they are both doing well. :toot:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Can you post who was bred to who? That's always super interesting to me.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Writer Cath posted:

Can you post who was bred to who? That's always super interesting to me.

Sure thing, here are my crappy breeding notes:

Bialy kept crushing his chalk so I thought that's why only Eclair had been marked but now I think she might have been the only one bred (besides Daisy the jacob who B busted through a door to woo). None of the rest of them appear to be growing udders. Ugh, cormos. Get your acts together. The jacobs were all bred almost as soon as I put them in with Isadore and even tiny baby Appomattox seems to have gotten the job done.

Speaking of creatures who need to get their acts together, I'm not sure any of the goats are bred either. Pearl and Opal never visibly went into heat, although they could have done it stealthily and don't seem particularly pregnant now. All of the others I put in to be bred have cycled again since I split up breeding groups. Except Taffy. Taffy who was last seen being a total slut but only towards her dad Heath. I thought a gate inbetween them was enough but maybe not. We will see around May 4th. Rex had a case of pneumonia during breeding season so I think he just wasn't up to the challenge of impressing ladygoats. Heath is just Heath.

Have some babby pics while I'm at it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Heath is just ridiculous.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
That's too bad about the cormos. Maybe next year you can let Izzy knock all of them up since he's a super stud and then convince people that their lambs are spotted cormos with horns.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-WbBChF4RY

Relevant to this thread.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2016

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

McSharpie posted:

That's too bad about the cormos. Maybe next year you can let Izzy knock all of them up since he's a super stud and then convince people that their lambs are spotted cormos with horns.

I have both a spotty corm and a corm with horns so no one would be the wiser!

I counter those tiny goats (:kimchi:) with a tiny vicious sheep. Sometimes you eat lamb, sometimes lamb eats you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGld6N6VuX0

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I don't know. That mauling seems pretty adorable. I'm not sure if I'm buying this whole vicious, man eating lambs business.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are these guys rare sheep or edible sheep or both?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Angrymog posted:

Are these guys rare sheep or edible sheep or both?

All sheep are edible sheep. The CVM romeldales are a ~rare heritage breed~ but if a sheep isn't good enough to be bred I'm not going to sell them as breeding stock just because they're rare. I'd much rather they go to slaughter than end up a pasture pet for some weirdo who has no idea how to take care of them either. These two particular sheep are probably safe from a trip to freezer camp though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A question about goasts and sheep - the stereotype is that sheep are dumb and goats are smart. How true is this, or is it more of an individual thing?

The parents used to do small scale rabbit farming in India (for sale to restaurants and friends) and whilst they had names so we could track the breeding they weren't pets. We did have crazy hippies try to buy the entire stock once or twice to save the poor little bunnies.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 2, 2016

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Angrymog posted:

A question about goasts and sheep - the stereotype is that sheep are dumb and goats are smart. How true is this, or is it more of an individual thing?

A lot of people swear that goats are so smart and friendly and great but that has not really been my experience. They're much more curious and stubborn than sheep which might make them seem smarter but really just gets them in more trouble. And then they will keep doing it over and over. One of my goat bucks, Heath, can only be in some of my pens because even at 4 years old he compulsively gets his head stuck in things. I have pulled his head out of fences and gates hundreds of times and he just keeps doing it. He also needed a sheep to show him how to breed because he couldn't quite figure it out. He is not a smart animal.

My big meat sheep aren't super bright but they mostly just don't waste time thinking. Eating is their job and they take it seriously. Also they're big enough that if they want something they will just go through anything that's in their way. The jacobs on the other hand spend a lot more time plotting things and one of them now knows how to open doors and can go under electric fences without being shocked by using her horns to lift the wire. They are much more clever than anyone gives them credit for.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Isadore is new right? Does he get along well with the other rams?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Isadore is new right? Does he get along well with the other rams?

Yeah Isadore is the replacement for Dennis and Windsor (as if anyone could replace Dennis :( ) that I picked up last summer. He's actually Dennis' half nephew. Everyone gets along with Isadore, he fits in super well. He's not super friendly towards people, but he doesn't pick fights with bigger rams, he and Two have become good buddies, and the ladies thought he was the hottest ram ever. Sometimes they can think ram lambs are a little dweeby but not Isadore. He's the first ram I've picked just based on pedigree, before he was born even, and so far I'm really happy with him. We'll see how his babies look in a week!

Here's Mr. Heartbutt himself.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/tayaranrusi/status/705539812065935360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Cross-posted from PYF. I felt like this was worth sharing.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yeah Isadore is the replacement for Dennis and Windsor (as if anyone could replace Dennis :( ) that I picked up last summer. He's actually Dennis' half nephew. Everyone gets along with Isadore, he fits in super well. He's not super friendly towards people, but he doesn't pick fights with bigger rams, he and Two have become good buddies, and the ladies thought he was the hottest ram ever. Sometimes they can think ram lambs are a little dweeby but not Isadore. He's the first ram I've picked just based on pedigree, before he was born even, and so far I'm really happy with him. We'll see how his babies look in a week!

No wonder everyone loves him: he wears his heart on his back end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Haji posted:

I don't know. That mauling seems pretty adorable. I'm not sure if I'm buying this whole vicious, man-eating lambs business.

Then I recommend you check out the film Black Sheep, which is a terrifying cautionary documentary about the dangers of killer sheep. And not at all a fantastic black-comedy film set in New Zealand with a herd of bloodthirsty killer sheep :ohdear:.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Isadore is a very distinguished and handsome looking ram :allears:. Does he let you pet him at all like the others do?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm going with the answer to this is "someone's gate got opened". And it was likely by mister "I'm gonna lick your fingers".

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isadore is a very distinguished and handsome looking ram :allears:. Does he let you pet him at all like the others do?

Izzy prefers everyone to keep their hands to themselves, which is totally normal for jacobs. He was easy to manage even in with his ladies and that's all that really matters to me. Not every sheep is going to be my best friend (even if they should be because I have a pocket full of cookies).

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm going with the answer to this is "someone's gate got opened". And it was likely by mister "I'm gonna lick your fingers".

Yeah I'm going with an escape-goat and his guard llama wondering where he was off to.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
There are guard llamas?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yup! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_llama

If a dog or wolf attacks the flock, sheep will just die. A llama is big enough and pissy enough to be a deterrent.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then I recommend you check out the film Black Sheep, which is a terrifying cautionary documentary about the dangers of killer sheep. And not at all a fantastic black-comedy film set in New Zealand with a herd of bloodthirsty killer sheep :ohdear:.

Totally saw it. Loved it. Laughed hard.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Yup! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_llama

If a dog or wolf attacks the flock, sheep will just die. A llama is big enough and pissy enough to be a deterrent.

Ehhhh. I'd say 75% of sheep will just roll over and go "oh okay eat me". There's some out there that will get a wild hair up their rear end and charge and wreck up a dog.

This is not one of those sheep:

(which is why she's covered in blukote and not in the pasture)

I tackled those two lambs today and dewormed them. Lamba (the white one) is very very sad and 100% sure the world is at an end. Point (the brown one) whispers death and destruction and a chaotic end to all.

E: Lamba is quite possibly the most original name I've ever had for an animal, I know, but after screaming "LAM-BAAAAAAAA" at her for a month and her going "BAAAAAA" back, it just kind of became a thing. She comes like a dog when you call her (*unless you have dewormer). Point hates you and wants you to die.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 6, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm buying these cute little fuckers in two weeks when they're weaned

They're super cuddly and friendly and thanks to the family's little girls, completely fine with being carried around

I'm so excited, I've wanted goats for so loving long :neckbeard:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I was surprised to find out there's a farm half an hour freeway drive which apparently has the biggest flock in Canada of jacob sheep! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-farm-returns-jacob-sheep-to-israel-1.3478635 Appparently they're taking them to Israel. I immediately thought of your awesome sheep. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chicken Doodle posted:

I was surprised to find out there's a farm half an hour freeway drive which apparently has the biggest flock in Canada of jacob sheep! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-farm-returns-jacob-sheep-to-israel-1.3478635 Apparently they're taking them to Israel. I immediately thought of your awesome sheep. :3:

These people have actually been brought up several times in the jacob sheep breeders association group because they make some weird claims. Although spotted or piebald sheep existed in Syria about 3000 years ago and genetic testing has shown that jacobs are more related to sheep from South-West Asia and Africa than British breeds, they didn't even get the name Jacob sheep until the 20th century. It's a fun story that they originated with Jacob of biblical fame there's no real evidence of it and modern jacobs are probably not well suited for life in Israel as they have been bred away from the native fat tailed sheep into more modern sheep with British aesthetics. If Jacob was breeding spotty sheep they would most likely look more like these awassi and damara sheep who are still endemic to the region.

Also there's no real evidence that they have the largest flock in Canada and a lot of their sheep are kind of shabby looking for animals that are supposed to represent the entire breed as the first back to their supposed country of origin.

Sheep gossip :allears:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Hah, perfect. Thanks for the breakdown. :D

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Still sitting around waiting for more babies. I docked tails yesterday, which I hate doing but needed done, and I think I'm going to try and get shearing started tomorrow. It's supposed to be in the 60s all week so I really couldn't ask for better weather.

The lambs got to go out and enjoy it today. They had a great time trying to eat dirt and generally running amok.

Um num dirt

Got an itch

Maybe eat a stick?

It's almost grass I guess.

Away!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Triangulum posted:

I'm buying these cute little fuckers in two weeks when they're weaned

They're super cuddly and friendly and thanks to the family's little girls, completely fine with being carried around

I'm so excited, I've wanted goats for so loving long :neckbeard:

You get those goats. Take care of them baby goats. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

First timer Bramble went into labor last night and after diligently getting up every 2 hours all night I ended up having to pull the lamb at around 10 in the morning. So much sleep I could have had :qq:

Bramble is pretty sore and the little ram wasn't sure he really wanted to be alive but they both seem to be doing well now. Breathing is not optional around here kid!

Excuse the weird colors, there's a red heat lamp going and it makes things look super weird without filters. Or with filters really.

Still waiting on Juniper and Aster but neither look like they are popping today. Or at least they are waiting for tonight so I can spend another night staring hopefully at sheep butts instead of sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

:kimchi: Do you have any handy pictures of the adults who were bred this year?

Can you still get four-horned lambs or is it much less likely with Isadore having two horns?

• Locked thread